bazbake

.50 caliber rifles. At some point we need to have a serious talk about this.

Lol ya ya I just don't see why perfect grammar spelling and punctuation is needed to say something on the Internet lol

If you're trying to make a point you should atleast write it in a way that doesn't induce eye cancer upon reading

Really, just hit the Enter-key every now and then at the end of a sentence, works wonders

Edited by Hawk24

Also plenty of humans can fire 50's while standing.

Being able to pull the trigger while standing isn't the point. Holding the gun steady enough to hit something with it is. Show me one person who can consistently fire a .50 offhand.

Dear OP.

In World of Warcraft. you have 100 ish flying dragons in your bags. along with 3 sets of armour. a dozen weapons. and a fuck load extra..

this is a game....

• Like 1

A center-fire "high-velocity"rifle bullet, if it traverses only elastic tissue, such as skeletal muscle, does not yaw significantly, does not fragment or deform and does not hit a major blood vessel or nerve. It usually causes a fairly minor wound.

only elastic tissue, such as skeletal muscle

only elastic tissue.

Other than the abdominal region (and you STILL have to deal with the spine there), where in the body is there ONLY elastic tissue? You get hit anywhere else at the very least it's going to break a bone, and then you'll get the yawing action that causes massive wound channels. Hell, if you get hit in the arm it will have more than enough kinetic energy (yeah, I said kinetic energy, because, ya know, it APPLIES) to potentially take the arm off.

The moral of the story is that if you get hit with a .50, you're going to have some serious issues. Is getting hit in the foot and insta-dying realistic? No, but as of yet they don't have permanent crippling injuries modeled in ArmA 2, so it's a stand in. Deal with it.

Edited for grammar.

Edited by .Warden
  • Like 1

nevermind a 50.cal. you get hit by a 7.62mm round you're gonna have serious issues..

Being able to pull the trigger while standing isn't the point. Holding the gun steady enough to hit something with it is. Show me one person who can consistently fire a .50 offhand.

plenty of people it seems

• Like 1

Also, here's video of a point-blank shot from a .50 caliber rifle...

Notice the small wound channel

Okay.

Here's some videos when it's not point blank.

Notice the holy fuck you're fucking dead if this touches you anywhere but the finger or the toe.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 1

nevermind a 50.cal. you get hit by a 7.62mm round you're gonna have serious issues..

plenty of people it seems

Yup one guy with a 50% hit rate is plenty of people.

I think the biggest problem with them is mobility. A magazine of .50 is heavy and bulky, and should take up 2-3 spots. Running and turning speed should be drastically reduced, accuracy should be terrible from any position but prone, and firing while standing/moving should result in shock, a broken bone, need for painkillers, blood loss, etc. The issue isn't the 1 shot kill, it's that people are just as mobile with a 1 shot kill rifle as they are with a submachine gun or pistol, so there isn't any downside to going parkour with an anti-armor weapon.

OP translation:

I GOT SHOT AND I DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO LOG OUT! I'M GOING TO GO THE FORUM AND MAKE A 10 PAGE POST ABOUT WHY GIANT BULLETS DON'T HURT PEOPLE.

Edited by BlksnshN
  • Like 2

The M107 and AS50 both have a weight of 30 lbs and are about as long as a 12 year old kid is tall. But they fit neatly into your backpack. In fact, they take up the same amount of space and cause the same encumbrance as the 6 pound M4A1.

I can't say much about .50 cals and wounding infantry, since I never had experience with this kind of gun in real-life. What I can say is that I agree that guns should not take up space in the backpack and we rather should have a "second primary" slot, where we can put our sniper rifles or AT launchers in. Why? Because I used to carry this fucking thing around for almost two years and I still had to shoulder all the other equipment, I couldn't just drop the backpack or something like that. And if garbage on foot like me in the Swiss Army can do this, I'm pretty sure anybody in a real army like the British have to do at least the same.

But then again, it's a game, not everything has to be real, but authenticy helps. And killing someone with a .50 cal in one-shot is authentic enough for me.

As someone with an m107 and a couple magazines in their pack, I feel I can safely say that these weapons really don't need to be in the game.

In the context of a mil-sim with zombies and survial elements, an anti-material rifle is obscenely inefficient. As the OP stated, these things are damn heavy, running around with them for days and weeks across the countryside really isn't feasable.

In the context of a survival FPS anti-material rifles are entirely too powerful. Hitting hard enough to to kill at any point on the body without any real drawbacks to its use. The other sniper rifles require actual precision for 1-hit kills where the AS50 or M107 will kill a player three times over just for making contact.

And let's face it, for every thosand kills from these rifles, only a couple vehicles are being disabled.

Keep sniping fun and rewarding, remove these or make them soak up both the primary weapon and backpack slot so using one is an actually meaningful decision.

• Like 1

Dear OP.

In World of Warcraft. you have 100 ish flying dragons in your bags. along with 3 sets of armour. a dozen weapons. and a fuck load extra..

this is a game....

Clearly you didn't understand or read the post. In fact, I don't even think you know what this post is about. Go away.

OP translation:

I GOT SHOT AND I DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO LOG OUT! I'M GOING TO GO THE FORUM AND MAKE A 10 PAGE POST ABOUT WHY GIANT BULLETS DON'T HURT PEOPLE.

Don't read thread -> ignore all presented evidence -> make post

• Like 6

"Goes through 8 inches of ballistic gel before tumbling"

Ballistic gel acts like artificial tissue, I think you're forgetting that humans have a whole skeleton inside all that tissue. Adult Human bones are very strong. It is about 20 times more difficult to smash a human femur (upper leg) bone than it is to break a equal weight piece of concrete. If a .50 cal hits that, it's gonna shatter the bone, and start tumbling, tearing whatever limb was hit straight off. Or tear a person in two if it hits the hip bone. It's an absolute gruesome weapon.

That said, it should take more space. Take the space of the backpack, just like the launcher does. If people want to off other players with 1 shot there should be a massive drawback.

• Like 2

The fail of this OP deserves a double facepalm. I would go find the Riker/Picard pic but this thread has about taken up all of my attention that it deserves.

Sure a .50 caliber weapon will kill you with a single hit. The thing is so will most small arms fire. 5.56 rounds have a knack for vectoring on impact causing wound tracks at angles of 45 degrees somtimes. Without body armor smaller caliber rounds will bouce around the body quite a bit and cause deadly trauma often enough.

There are too many .50 caliber weapons right now in dayz. An M/16 or ak-74 will kill you just as dead. If you were shot in the apocolypse your chance of survival would be very small.

They should make all weapons kill players with one or two shots once they abandon arma's weapons for their own.

• Like 1

It's called a video game

You bad.

rocket wants it to be authentic, and using this argument doesn't mean jack.

• Like 1

rocket wants it to be authentic, and using this argument doesn't mean jack.

Figuratively riding Rocket's dick means jack.

Also, it 1-shots because it is simulating Kevlar penetration, whereas other small arms will get absorbed or partially absorbed in most cases. When we get an engine that supports different hitboxes, and extremity wounds, then it can be a 1-shot to the torso/head, and severely damage the arms/legs. The current engine does not allow for that, so it has to be a simple 1-shot.

Edited by Solace

It's called a video game

You bad.

Flight simulator is also a game, but you can't nose dive into the earth and survive in that.

I don't claim to be any kind of military expert, but I have played a few video games in my day. What if the accuracy was decreased (accounting for civilian survivors firing a military- grade weapon)? The way you described bullet paths in the OP suggests this kind of weapon would be better suited as an anti-vehicle weapon, as it would have more room to "tumble" inside a vehicle's inner workings. Lowered accuracy makes it harder to hit small survivors, and easier to hit large vehicles, assuming the shooter is at distance from their target (which they should be, as it is a scoped rifle). Or maybe I'm an idiot.

I can't say much about .50 cals and wounding infantry, since I never had experience with this kind of gun in real-life. What I can say is that I agree that guns should not take up space in the backpack and we rather should have a "second primary" slot, where we can put our sniper rifles or AT launchers in. Why? Because I used to carry this fucking thing around for almost two years and I still had to shoulder all the other equipment, I couldn't just drop the backpack or something like that. And if garbage on foot like me in the Swiss Army can do this, I'm pretty sure anybody in a real army like the British have to do at least the same.

But then again, it's a game, not everything has to be real, but authenticy helps. And killing someone with a .50 cal in one-shot is authentic enough for me.

This is yet another thing that ACE fixes, by adding a 3rd primary slot. (And their backpacks are based on volume and mass (which affects stamina more heavily than vanilla), not slots)

I'm not a soldier or a physicist, but I do know some basic scientific principles. For example, a gun that is 6ft long should not fit inside a backpack that is 3ft long. Science.

I have two dmr's in my backpack (one for me and one for my partner when i meet her again) plus 4 magazines, an ak74 kob slung on my shoulder, m1911 in hand, ak mags,a stanag for my mate,nvg's , rangefinder, hatchet,knife,standard flash and military flashlight, gps,waterbottle, morphine,bloodpack all slopping around with a couple of cooked steaks. Totally running liek a boss.Unstoppable. My man is a machine.

Going to be good when stamina is introduced and the big hitters become a lot rarer.

personally, i think it'll be better when the spawn rates are actually accurate.

i feel that 90% of us should be running around with winchesters and hunting rifles, not the "average" fully automatic m4 with a submachine gun as a sidearm.

but then i guess all it takes is going to a low pop/fresh restarted server and raping all the mil spawns anyways to get all your full auto assault rifles, etc.

edit: or more accurately, we would have maybe an SKS and a .22 pistol :D

Edited by tigerpr0n