combatcomm1

Lets do this, Trading Station Delta - Edited

Finally some survivors worth their salt. All I've got to say.

There's four main threats.

1. people server hopping to get past defenses, logging in and immediately firing. You'll need a lot of guards INSIDE the city to watch for people spawning in (so they can kill the intruder while he's still black screened). See my suggestion at the end to tell friendlies from bandits.*

2. Suicide bombers. No real counter to this. Test the range & penetration of explosives and find a site where players can shield themselves from the blast. Maybe see if sandbags lessen the blast? Guards will have to be vigilant and warn visitors of explosives before they go off. Maybe equip them with medical gear to deal with the aftermath (2 clips of primary/secondary, then medical for the rest?)

3. Snipers. You need a concealed location, preferably atop a hill. A castle like you suggested sounds good.

4. Pack stealing. As far as I know, nothing stops one visitor from taking items from another visitor's pack. It is up to guards to enforce safe distances between visitors. If two players want to trade, you can offer an escrow (a guard who will take the items out of each player's pack and place it in the other's).

* I don't know if anyone suggested this, but you might instate a rule requiring visitors put their guns in their packs, or else I don't think guards would be able to police the city at all.

I wouldn't worry as much about EXTERNAL threats because bandits don't exclusively hunt survivors. If bandits try and raid the castle they'll likely be gunned down by OTHER bandits camping the area. Just keep the city area secured.

Good luck man, I'll be sure to create enough mayhem outside that no one has time to crash the castle :D

I'd be interested in doing this or helping in any way. This sounds like a great idea, albeit rather difficult, but worth it nonetheless. Have Steam or any form of contact?

Berezino harbor could be an option.

There's no hills or other tall landmarks nearby, except for an industrial chimney a stones-throw away, where you could post a lookout or two.

The harbor itself consists of two piers enveloping a reasonably wide middle pier, which itself has two cranes for lookout posts, and some roofed-over containers in the middle that could shelter people from rain.

On the west side, you've mostly got a wall which turns into a fence as it goes south, and some of those big industrial buildings with huge blue doors. There's holes in the fence between them, but further out is a fairly wide road that nobody can avoid crossing if they wanna get in that way, so it's not a huge deal. There's also more cranes and two of those metal girder tower things with lights on top that you also see at the airfields, great place for lookouts.

It being a pier, it would be easy to land a helicopter. It obviously also has boat access, and as mentioned there's a wide road too.

Beyond the road there's a fuel station, and further away in the actual town of Berezino there's some military tents that spawn the same stuff found at Stary Sobor, making getting new guards tooled up a fairly easy task. Berezino also has tons of apartment buildings and other places to get food and whatnot.

---------------------

Otherwise, I figure the big red monstrosity in Lopatino could work.

It has half an outer wall, with a gate in it. If you can build up the rest of the wall with sandbags/concertina wire, that could be very defensible.

Road access is there, and there's plenty of room within the half-a-wall to land a helicopter. The tallest point anywhere within shooting distance is the roof of the building, and there's mostly open ground all around.

If you take a Huey and put a guy on top of the building, one in each corner, you're pretty much set.

I don't know if you can put a tent on top of a building, but if its possible you could even use the roof as an item stash.

The downside is its very close to the NW airfield, and far away from everything else.

If people wanted to go there, you might almost be better off just setting up sort of a bus route, just ferrying people back and forth or something.

You know, something that'd have a route plan and some armed guards.

Easiest would be a Huey, but I think a bus carrying two or three guards, plus a follow-car with another three guys in it, maybe.

You could use ground transport to collect people from the parking lot in Zelenogorsk, as it's within easy driving distance and has paved and easy-to-remember roads all the way to it.

A Huey, you could collect people from practically anywhere, though I'd suggest you only do it from rooftops with few places to get sniped from.

----------------------------

Anyway, that's all I was thinking for now.

I don't see how this could possibly work without checking weapons at the door. All a griefer would have to do is walk in and start shooting. There goes the security of your establishment. A newly spawned player could pickup an automatic weapon fairly easy from a tree stand and do maximum damage before your guards could take him down. Hell' date=' your guards would probably kill as many people trying to shoot the griefer. Then everyone starts shooting.

P.s. What you really need is some type of "no shoot" script that works in a certain radius.

[/quote']

Require visitors keep their guns in their backpacks. Have guards shoot ANYONE pulling a gun out on sight.

You know. Thinking about it, what about Skalisty Island? The one down south-east, right off the coast.

It has tree cover to the north and north/west. Straight west is Elektro, but that's likely too far to be of any real danger?

It would be hard for people to get out there to mess with you, 'cus they'd need to risk swimming, have a boat or have a helicopter.

It's not the place with the most real estate to work with, but it has enough space for a chopper to land. Only problem is there's nowhere good to go if it starts raining.

There's only two small usable buildings out there.

But that would probably be the safest place of all. Put some guys in the treeline to the north, looking over onto the mainland, nobody would be able to get to you and not lose their stuff to swimming on the way over.

You know. Thinking about it' date=' what about Skalisty Island? The one down south-east, right off the coast.

[/quote']

Putting the city in range of spawn rushers will be a mistake. You'll waste countless mags dealing with makarov bandits trying to nick some loot.

I'm just thinking how much of a pain in the ass it would be for the guards to get back to it if they're killed. It'd be really inconvenient to have to walk for an hour to get back to your post from a respawn point.

Location is key. Maybe do some location scouting offline in single-player or the editor or the armory first' date=' before trying to set anything up online. Make sure it's in a place that would be defensible with minimal fortification and patrols, but also isn't completely out of the way in the back of beyond, where no one can get to it without walking for half a day.

I might be interested in being part of the initiative, myself. Not sure yet, though. I'll give it some thought.

[/quote']

Good point, and I thank you for that. If you are interested youd have a spot in a higher position for your suggestion. It would require a possible convoy to pickup the guards from their spawn location after a battle or attack. As for location I only found out yesterday that the castles spawn zombies. Unfortunately this has been my initial location of choice. Either rocket initiates a mechanic by where you can take and hold a location from zombies spawning or a new location would have to be located.

I own Dallas 25 and would love to help institute this kind of establishment on my server if you guys are interested in moving? (I know it could be a pain but we have our own forum and everything :D )

EDIT: I'd be more than happy to help establish this in any location, but I'm the kinda guy that wouldn't settle for a low rank

You know. Thinking about it' date=' what about Skalisty Island? The one down south-east, right off the coast.

[/quote']

Putting the city in range of spawn rushers will be a mistake. You'll waste countless mags dealing with makarov bandits trying to nick some loot.

Well, yeah, but they have to cross 20 meters of water to get anywhere close, so they would be likely be unarmed, or get shot down while swimming?

Honestly, I don't think people will come running for it so willingly.

If we implement the island we would need to have a boat to ferry customers. Are boats even around in DayZ yet?

Its not the most convienient spot for traders just passing through or survivors wanting a chat with fellow survivors. I like landlocked a bit more by the island is more of a detterent against passing griefers

I own Dallas 25 and would love to help institute this kind of establishment on my server if you guys are interested in moving? (I know it could be a pain but we have our own forum and everything :D )

EDIT: I'd be more than happy to help establish this in any location' date=' but I'm the kinda guy that wouldn't settle for a low rank

[/quote']

The only reason I use Hardcore 2 is because they used to alllow JSRS sound mod. Now for whatever reason it seems they dont. Do you know anything about this? Otherwise id love to have the server owner on board with this.

Location is going to be be key:

Needs to be enclosed with a wall' date=' something solid that you can't see through and can't jump across or fire across.

[/quote']

a Draw or valley with lots of trees around, patrol the woods around it ...

this would minimize snipers, a group would have to assault the area or try to all spawn in the middle at one time

or perhaps a wooded hilltop - sure trees allow cover and bandits could try to 'low crawl' up to take a shot ...... you would def have to shut down at night or triple the patrols .......

The only reason I use Hardcore 2 is because they used to alllow JSRS sound mod. Now for whatever reason it seems they dont. Do you know anything about this? Otherwise id love to have the server owner on board with this.

Rocket seems pretty against any modifications being used with Day Z, that could be why you can't use it anymore. Our server ofc doesn't have any other modifications on it but I'm excited to come on board with the project, I'm part of a team of 4 survivors and our group is expanding to about 8 soon, so I'll ask around if anyone is interested :) our server is one of the faster connecting ones as well (Compared to some I've tried)

It's a cool idea that would fit within the concept of the apocalypse but it will NEVER work with the current mechanics. You or someone else will just use it as an opportunity to grief.

Require visitors keep their guns in their backpacks. Have guards shoot ANYONE pulling a gun out on sight.

that really is not practical ..

... I keep my pack full, having to drop 6 or more items to 'holster' my rifle and Pistol is not feasible ......

-It will have to have walls. Whether right now or in the future when fortifications are expanded.

-Walls are essential.

-High position for overwatch essential.

-High point Prefereably around the front entrance. Located somewhat close to a water source.

-Be in a convienient location for traveling survivors.

-Not be too far from coast for guards & new players.

-Be on higher ground than the area around it.

Well' date=' yeah, but they have to cross 20 meters of water to get anywhere close, so they would be likely be unarmed, or get shot down while swimming?

[/quote']

Yea and customers wanting to trade will lose all their shit too.

If we implement the island we would need to have a boat to ferry customers. Are boats even around in DayZ yet?

There are boats, but the logistics would be pretty crazy. Waste of fuel, snipers hitting the boat from all along the coast, backstabbers asking for ferry and trying to steal the boat, etc.

Regarding castles, you could down the zombies fairly easily I think. I don't think the idea will be doable without the safety of buildings.

Yes, guns will be allowed in. It's too much problems otherwise. Its just going to take vigilant guards. A bandit will not leave it alive so only griefers who dont really care about their "lives" will try anything

I could down the zombies but they will just spawn up all the time thats not a "safe" zone. It will require rocket to impelement a take and hold mechanic for cities and spawn areas, hopefully soon.

It's true that you'd need fuel for the boat idea, and yes, you might have snipers gunning for it.

But I doubt people will be able to steal it, 'cus you'll have six guys hidden in the treeline on the island, ready to shoot down anyone trying anything.

Obviously you wouldn't want people to swim out there. Basically, anyone trying to do so would be shot on sight.

The point of it is that it should be clear of Zs, and be extremely easy to defend.

As for fuel, you could use a Huey to go on supply runs, as has been the case for pretty much all other suggestions :P

About guns inside the area, couldn't you have people walking around in Surrender mode? If a trade then was to be made, people would ask permission and the guards would all know that someone not being in Surrender animation was ok.

You could even have just one guy allowed to do that at a time.

It takes a little while to get out of that animation, so it could work.

Take a look at the factory compound at coord X-078; Y-114

It has only one entrance, which is gated. There is only one other "crawl through" location. The surrounding area is flat, the factory gives good 360 visibility. It is completely surrounded with a wall, and it isn't too far inland from the coast. You might be able to land a helicopter inside the compound, otherwise there is plenty of flat ground just outside of the gate to land one.

I'm not sure how many zeds would spawn there, I only took a look at it in the editor but it looks fairly promising.

*Edit: There is a lake just outside the compound walls to provide water

The of taking the island isn't bad either, so long as we control the boats and the helicopter there shouldn't be much issues short-term. The only problem I have is with ferrying people, you'd need to have the majority of the guards actually at the ferry-depot rather than on the island. Anyone swimming across shouldn't be too much of a threat, you're biggest problem would always be people who logged offline on the island on another server. Otherwise you could have 1-2 guys on the island without much problem.

Id be interested in being a Guns for Hire/Guard. At the minute my character is fully equiped to deal with any pvp situations.

All this projects end in nothing, but they still exciting me, if you need guards, ill be at your service :D

This may be significantly harder than I originally thought and only because of zombies spawning at all structures on chern. Either we find a suitable place where no zombies spawn, rocket implements better fortification design or rocket implements a take location and hold from zombies spawning.

This idea is pretty implausible. From experience, I know that defending a single position in this game, even if it's kept secret from the general public, is very tough. It'd be a bit safer (Although somewhat tougher.) to just hop on the server and then have your group of traders/guards roam around, pick a spot to settle down for a few hours, then leave to go somewhere else.

I also highly suggest that this place is not near the coast, but perhaps somewhere farther up north with less traffic. Sure, people will have to travel a long ways to get to where you're set up but it is much, much safer. Trust me, defending a place by the coast is one of the most frustrating things you can do.