Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy McNulty

Yep, this mod is dying

Oh look, another one of these shit threads. Time for copy-paste:

Who cares?

Call that an immature response if you want, but I'm serious. Who cares? There's some kind of obsession with player numbers, I don't know if it started with World of Warcraft or what, but do you really think everyone Who bought that game played it yesterday? I didn't play it yesterday, does that mean I don't like it?

As long as there is a single server up I'll be a fan, it just does not matter to me how popular something is. Fun first.

We don't know how low player numbers would have to be to make Rocket give up and call the whole thing off, only he knows, but one thing we do know is that the success of this mod has been higher than he could have possibly imagined. In the recent Machinima interview he said it's almost grown too fast for its own good.

Just some food for thought. This is a bad thread, and you should feel bad.

We need an opposite of giving beans. Have an empty tin can to collect your doom and gloom tears. :emptycan:

• Like 3

Is DayZ a succes or not?

Did they reach their goal of 600 players?

Sad that these threads are popping up now. Immature children saying that a mod none the less the ALPHA mod is dying. The game is not even close to being 70% ready and people QQ about it. I'm so glad rocket really doesn't care about people like this

Edited by Cyanide_I

I don't get it. Many people just got hired? What you said makes no sense.

And yeah, scripting, duping, and bugged inventory is not letting people enjoy this mod so they're quitting. Although someone could make an argument that we were never supposed to enjoy it because it's alpha.

People getting jobs. People going back to school. People getting ready to go back to school. People rocking out and playing darksiders 2 since it just came out. Team Fortress 2 released a big update. PlanetSide 2 is in beta testing....

There is a ton of things going on currently on why people might be taking a break or not playing DayZ every day. I know I have friends who've been working later than usual so haven't been playing. I have some friends who are taking a break because of the bugs. I have some friends who are taking a break since they're douchebags who have planetside 2 beta keys and I don't. All my friends who play DayZ were all off playing TF2 last night.

So yeah not just a simple 'Oh people aren't playing everyone must be fed up and leaving'.

Maybe the is just starting to find a balance , it happens with every game ever released. People check it out , if they like it then they stay if not then they stop.

it's not dying just finding the equilibrium.

Edited by Guest

People getting jobs. People going back to school. People getting ready to go back to school. People rocking out and playing darksiders 2 since it just came out. Team Fortress 2 released a big update. PlanetSide 2 is in beta testing....

There is a ton of things going on currently on why people might be taking a break or not playing DayZ every day. I know I have friends who've been working later than usual so haven't been playing. I have some friends who are taking a break because of the bugs. I have some friends who are taking a break since they're douchebags who have planetside 2 beta keys and I don't. All my friends who play DayZ were all off playing TF2 last night.

So yeah not just a simple 'Oh people aren't playing everyone must be fed up and leaving'.

Well alot of people are away and play less computer during the warm summer. So i don't really agree that the player drop would only be because of the reasons you listed.

I think its quite simple. Hackers destroying the game. I just started playing DayZ again and im already tired of it after a week. Just because of the hackers.

The game was far more enjoable about 2 months ago when you actually could play for a day on a populated server without some lame hacker killing or teleporting me.

It makes prefect sense that people are leaving. Why shouldn't they? Its a game about survival but the rules are totaly broken.

How could a free mod die? What the.. i don't even...

turtles.

This is the same doom and gloom thinking that you see all over the place. Like movie box office.

The fact is, that the mod grows this way:

Rocket makes it and invites a few people

More people find out about it, probably through a friends network

People who follow gaming media discover it and spread the word. Explosive growth.

More media, more growth.

A saturation poi t is reached. Everyone that has heard about it, has. Everyone who wants to try it, has. Some stay longer, some less. Some try it a couple times, some obsess and play for weeks.

But it's not some insane model where it has to constantly slope up, gaining more and more users or else it's dying?

How many users per day on your mod?

To avoid hackers you just need to be intelligent, join servers that don't have too many players in, don't join if you see a name in the lobby that is blank (most likely a hacked name). I have came across two hackers in my time playing DayZ (a few months). One hacker killed the whole server (big deal, part of the game is to deal with dying), and the second one was a hacker who just spawned some vehicles and weapons, we just killed them and they left.

Also would like to mention that cs:go basically got realised yesterday (access to beta if you buy it), and I'm sure a lot of players went to try that out :).

24h statistic's will not be an accurate measurement of how many people there is actively playing the mod. There will always be days with less people playing for different reasons, different days of the week, holidays, other game realises, extremely nice weather, etc. A way more precise number would be the amount of players per month.

Edited by Grodenn

People that are suggesting that its a natural cycle of all games are in a serious state of denial.

If the hacking is killing it fast. I can handle graphic glitches and bugs.. but knowing there is a high chance someone is going to maliciously kill me or mess with my gaming session.. that sucks.

While the pop will decline a bit due to school and other cyclical issues, the numbers will take a huge nose dive soon if the hacking isn't fixed!

or maybe it has to do that the summer is over for MOST people and they have school etc.

I never understood why people, who move on from a game after playing it for a while, needs to declare the game dead. Just becuase you're done with DayZ doesn't mean the rest of us are, does it?

• Like 2

A lot of new games are out, people are frustrated with DayZ or expected more from it...so they turn away and switch games. I hope it stays this way, i would even prefer a 10.000ish player / 24 hour count than a blown up 1 mio.+ users and barely 15% staying "interested". The ArmA/OFP community was always "small" and i hope it becomes small once again.

Hackers are very rapidly killing the mod indeed.

• Like 2

maybe, just maybe there are less people playing dayz because they've been eaten by ZOMBIES????

Just sayin...

Edited by ptk

Well alot of people are away and play less computer during the warm summer. So i don't really agree that the player drop would only be because of the reasons you listed.

I think its quite simple. Hackers destroying the game. I just started playing DayZ again and im already tired of it after a week. Just because of the hackers.

The game was far more enjoable about 2 months ago when you actually could play for a day on a populated server without some lame hacker killing or teleporting me.

It makes prefect sense that people are leaving. Why shouldn't they? Its a game about survival but the rules are totaly broken.

I'm going to point out that I did not say at any point there were not people who weren't playing anymore because of the hacking. I'm sure there are some who have done so. But its not just a simple issue of all these people are leaving because of hacking. There is a ton of stuff going on at the moment. Several huge beta's going on at the moment, new game release, TF2 updates, school starting up, and so on and so forth.

You can't just point to one thing at the moment and go "THIS IS WHY!". Because its not just one thing. Which was my point. Its not just one thing, or another going on right now. There's lots of stuff happening that wasn't happening a couple of weeks ago. And to me a couple of weeks ago I felt like I couldn't go to a server without running into thunderdome or some other nonsense. Now I run into them on occasion but doesn't feel as constant. Maybe its battleeye (lol) maybe I'm just having better luck. Either way...I don't think its just the hackers, or the glitches that have caused the number of players each day to drop a bit. And no ones provided any evidence to the contrary.

Anyone who think the declining player numbers are because of anything but hackers is in serious denial, that's why most people I know have stopped playing.

• Like 2

It's in a state that The Old Republic is going through, where it sort of lacks end game content, so people start leaving. But just because people start leaving, doesn't mean it's dying or anything. People are just temporarily gone. People come back when content has been added, so it's a win situation for us, the end users. Along with other games like WarZ, it forces companies to improve upon their games, giving a better experience for us.

It's rare to see someone never touch a game again, a game that they bought. I know I still play BF3 once in a while.

That being said, it applies to me too. I haven't played DayZ in a while (lack of lategame stuff), but I still play ARMA 2 regularly.

Edited by ruhtraeel

I never understood why people, who move on from a game after playing it for a while, needs to declare the game dead. Just becuase you're done with DayZ doesn't mean the rest of us are, does it?

True its definatly not dead. Some games like Men of war assault squad has not even 1/10 of the DayZ playerbase. Yet its still far from dead.

However because of the Hackers, this game is definatly going the wrong way. I do think the this game will lose alot of players as long as the hackers are going rampage.

The problem isn't the hackers for me. I've encountered a few, but those were on crowded servers.

The problem is. And my friend stopped playing too. Major graphics glitches in Elektro, Cherno, NW airfield, randomly in the wilderness (near dear stands probably)...almost every place has graphic artifacts. I noticed when this major, game breaking (yes game breaking because the airfield and military places are the best and most fun places in the game, and sort of end game stuff)...that the population started quickly going down.

I bet people (maybe not all, but some/a lot) stopped playing due to the graphic artifacts. That pretty much make the game unplayable, unless all you do is sit in your camp and staring at the sky all day.