Adam (DayZ)

DayZ Update 1.5.4

I'd suggest removing model change since it's not fully working atm and it doesn't fulfill its purpose either. Until there's a solid solution or other system I don't see a point in having it.

The point in having it is to test it and debug the code until it works. This is an alpha. This is what you 'signed on' for.

That's not my point tho. The major issue is that it's not fulfilling its purpose in identifying PvP'ers. There's probably the same amount of people that have defended themselves and turned into a bandit than people just PvP'ing. I meant: rework the system, find a better solution.

There's no point in a system that doesn't fulfill its purpose, will probably be re-worked and is not working.

I can understand keeping bandits to solve further issues such as changing models within factions tho.

You dont turn into a bandit by killing bandits

True, but you turn into a bandit by shooting survivors that are shooting at you.

Honestly, how often does that occur? One murder =/= becoming a bandit.

but my death ratio is 50% to bandits and 50% regular survivors. and I'm not talking about shooting at them first and getting killed. people just use the fact that their skin isn't a bandit one and kill me. since humanity apparently regenerates, they don't worry about turning into a bandit

oh, and one murder is -4000 humanity, so that does mean 1 murder = you're a bandit

I stand corrected. I guess my one and only murder didn't count, for some reason.

You dont turn into a bandit by killing bandits

True, but I for instance turned into one by defending myself against 1(!) person trying to steal my beans in cherno... getting a hit of well over -2000 humanity from 1 (defensive) kill really doesn't vouch for this system imho

It only counts as a defensive kill if you were hit by that players bullets before you hit them, it is a flawed system but then this is alpha. With all the problems with bandits (losing pack contents, spawning in the ocean, etc) they should just be removed and re explored later.

Let me cavet this reply by saying the bandit system isn't really working as intended.

But my intention is that humanity is not a judgement, it merely reflects the choices that your gameplay have made on your character. It's the only trait that is persistent across characters - if you last character was a badass bandit then the next one will reflect your chosen playstyle.

Whenever you kill a non-bandit, the intention is that your character will be affected by it. If he shoots someone who was clearly a bad guy, he's not affected. In fact, in some cases he feels better about it.

The intention is not to cast judgement on your playstyle - after all, you survive by any means. Kind of like with Hitman - you can do it stealth or go in guns blazing... but each choice has its consequences. Such consequences present real challenges for designers, so they tend to be avoided because such design challenges are expensive to solve.

However by providing you an environment where what you do has consequences, both intangible and tangible, the idea is that I force you to make some tough decisions. "Do I take the beans, or the Ammo?", "Do I kill that guy just to be sure? Or do I see if he is friendly?"

It is going to take me weeks, if not months, to find the recipe for the right balance with this whole humanity gambit (there is of course also the chance I won't find it). But, like I said, its not the kind of thing studios usually explore because its hard and expensive. So if I am dedicated to it and we experiment a bit and try, I'm sure the right mechanic balance will come along.

The end result, the intention, is really important here. To keep that tension running through your head, force you to make all these split second decisions using your intuition and gut. But what I don't want to do is force you into a particular gameplay because of a bad mechanic. The mechanic should reflect your chosen gameplay style.

• Like 3

Script error when I morphed into a bandit and got stuck on a black screen

"Attempting to switch model"
"Attempting Phase two..."
"Finished..."
Error in expression _humanity = parseNumber (_humanity);
player setVar>
Error position: player setVar>
Error parsenumber: Type Number, expected String
File z\addons\dayz_code\compile\player_humanityMorph.sqf, line 46

• Like 1

@Rocket , What you have in mind with the choices and consequences is definitely there. Me and my friend have had some crazy intense moments in the game coming down to whether or not to pull the trigger or just the moment leading up to doing so. Whether or not the humanity stat plays any part, for some I know it does, it is definitely there.

If it helps, for the most part I find that the game gets the most intense when dealing with end-game. When you actually have military grade weapons, NVG's, etc., the game actually seems to become less cooperative towards you. People hear you firing your gun. People see your silenced, fully automatic rifle. And the part where it really gets interesting is that you know you have the advantage. YOU know that they probably want that advantage, and are willing to kill you to get it. It tends to make one a little more aware of what is going on, and to be wary of approaching other players that you aren't all that familiar with. This makes fairly large groups of highly equipped bandits a reality, as more and more people start banding together with others that they have learned to trust.

Let's look at the other end of the spectrum now. It hasn't been long since the last respawn. You probably had some sort of good gear when you died. Frustratingly enough, you probably died to some player with a worse weapon than you because you tried to be friendly towards him. You have a Makarov PM, and MAYBE a winchester/Enfield/CZ550. For you, the goal is to get back up to at least where you were, and anyone who gets in your way, or is currently fighting is now regarded as your enemy (this is what Zero tells me).

Thus the cycle really is perpetual, with higher level people killing on sight in an attempt to pre-emptively defend themselves against possible aggression; and the lower level people shooting the higher level people on sight because of their pent-up aggression and high level gear.

Thus the only way to truly be safe when running across random players is to ensure that you only carry around mid level gear.

You make some good points. Truly, when a full-time direct chat voice communication becomes a constant reality, interaction will evolve.

This game has the potential to negotiate "hostile trades" or even armed robbery that doesn't involve murder.

Imagine having two very well armed groups sending one unarmed player each to a middle ground to exchange, say, a helicopter rotar for an engine block. Or even arms deals!

We always have one or two snipers in overwatch when sending 2 down to search an area. With good, solid voice comms, such power can be communicated and demonstrated to a point where one can vocally persuade others to leave, and come back later, or more.

Not sure if it's on the list, but I'd love to help incorporate some form of ACRE radios and coms as they use TS3 for VOIP better than Arma/BI, and coms rarely fail - beit over a radio, or direct voice chat.

I had a tent full of stuff in the RU server the other night. This morning the servers was shut down or restarted. Now when I log in when it's back up, all my loot in my tent has disappeared, but my tent remains. I highly doubt a single person could have taken my loot from this WELL hidden location. Is it possible this is a bug from a restart?

Noticed server connections are MUCH faster now...tested it on 6 diff servers all over the world...almost all were instantaneous.

If it helps' date=' for the most part I find that the game gets the most intense when dealing with end-game. When you actually have military grade weapons, NVG's, etc., the game actually seems to become less cooperative towards you. People hear you firing your gun. People see your silenced, fully automatic rifle. And the part where it really gets interesting is that you know you have the advantage. YOU know that they probably want that advantage, and are willing to kill you to get it. It tends to make one a little more aware of what is going on, and to be wary of approaching other players that you aren't all that familiar with. This makes fairly large groups of highly equipped bandits a reality, as more and more people start banding together with others that they have learned to trust.

Let's look at the other end of the spectrum now. It hasn't been long since the last respawn. You probably had some sort of good gear when you died. Frustratingly enough, you probably died to some player with a worse weapon than you because you tried to be friendly towards him. You have a Makarov PM, and MAYBE a winchester/Enfield/CZ550. For you, the goal is to get back up to at least where you were, and anyone who gets in your way, or is currently fighting is now regarded as your enemy (this is what Zero tells me).

Thus the cycle really is perpetual, with higher level people killing on sight in an attempt to pre-emptively defend themselves against possible aggression; and the lower level people shooting the higher level people on sight because of their pent-up aggression and high level gear.

Thus the only way to truly be safe when running across random players is to ensure that you only carry around mid level gear.

[/quote']

I think we will get to a point where there won't be many new players that are that desperate for weapons, and know they can get matching gear, and would find more to gain from teaming up with a person with good gear as opposed to killing them.

I think we will get to a point where there won't be many new players that are that desperate for weapons' date=' and know they can get matching gear, and would find more to gain from teaming up with a person with good gear as opposed to killing them.

[/quote']

I think that depends on how large servers get in the future.

I'd love to see a 300 player server.

Yes, they (Cars, Boats, and Choppers) are, but will need to be repaired before you can drive them.