Cheboygan

Sniping in DayZ. The built in hack & how it should change for the better/harder

excellent post. Some difficulty curves need to be watered down, like the UI ones, but these kind of stuff i approve. It makes the game have a lot more weight, body. Pointing and clicking does not a sniper make.

I have always been amused that someone knows how to snipe, fix cars, fly Hueys, give blood, fix broken bones and run for a 100 miles without pause?

Learning something should be trial and error. The first time you pick up a sniper rifle and look down the scope at someone 800m away, the sights would be moving around like crazy. I agree with nigzy23, perhaps there could be a progression whereby the number of kills you get slowly increases the aim? Spend four hours picking off zombies and perhaps the movement of the sights is steady enough to take out a fast moving player?

Rocket says that he wants people who can do something in real life to be able to transfer this knowledge into the game. So how come i can fix a Huey but not drink from a damn pond?

Edited by DemonGroover
  • Like 1

i agree with OP. But if they do that then there will not be 1 milion players, it will be only 10k. Extreme reality in games arent popular, and we all know what that means for company which want to sell as much as they can.

maybe some new mode for arma 3 can do that job but i am not sure there is a engine which can do that.

wow your a hero mate ahah nice essay, i agree with everything you said, ACE should definitely be incoparated. if only they could make an animation for adjusting mildots

Lower sniper rifles damage?

Add a "scope reflex" effect (like in Battlefield 3?) so you have a chance to react before the shot goes off?

Change player appearance/skin/model into a fat 10-year old kid when shooting an unarmed noob?

Or a combination of all three. :)

Awesome post from OP!

Im far from good marksman, and I would really get into it like that... there would be far more less to casual cod/bf "snipers" and there would be real skill.. and maybe it woudnt be skill that ppl would cry so much about.. or they would cry just more cuz they coudnt handle it.

@Securion

Rifle damage should be close to RL specs, nothing less or more.

And the scope clint what is in bf3 is rediculous, a damn flashlight!

I dont know for sure, but I think there is (I bet civil versions too?) somesort of filter to block the scope clint or at least as an attachment for "military" grade rifles?

Not good suggestions from you, sry

Edited by Zeppa

I think the game needs to become more about the zombies again (which was the point in the first place right?) and less about being a sniper. When I play it feels like the zombies just annoy me by getting in my way when I'm trying to avoid getting sniped. Up the number of zombies and get rid of all the big hardcore weapons.. Just keep the basic shotguns, lenfield, winchester, pistols, CZ, maybe an AK. All of these guns are quite capable of taking out zombies and gives other players more of a chance. Of course you would still get PvP killing for no reason but it would help prevent people sitting on top of elektro with a thermal scope shooting unarmed noobs just for a laugh, as well as being more of an encouragement for people to team up when looting or meeting for the first time.

Edited by biggy101

Yeah I'm glad I read that, at first I thought it was just another thread crying about being sniped or in protection of sniping. Great read though, found it to be very informative actually, and I guess I agree really. I don't really think that sniping shouldn't be in the game, but rather that I think that it's too easy for some one to be a sniper. I wouldn't call the current sniping it all together skill-less, but any one who pretends it to be difficult is only fooling themselves.

nobody says it is hard, except those "smart ones" which dont have time to watch two clips on YT which explains you everything.

But looking trough the scope is just 10% of sniping and that is what ppl dont know. Snipers have same problems as other players but when someone snipe us and we dont see him we think that was easy job for him. If you look on yt how snipers play you will see that for one kill there is 2-3h of extremly boring gameplay. So sniping have good and bad side just any other gun in game.

I dont agree, I am a Sniper as well, have been in every game I play that allows them, and been doing so since Duke Nukem and Doom well where possible since then at least.

The problem with snipers in Dayz is not the rifles, or the bullet drop or the distances, its the other guns, people take a sniper rifles because it kills fast but they run and gun with them , they need to make the game more fluid for people with M4A1's make it more fluid like something oh I dunno QUAKE, running around with an assault rifle can be a bit of a chore and thats why there are so many snipers around.

all they need to do is make the assault rifles more usable and the only people with sniper rifles will be the ones who actually enjoy sitting behind a rock for 6 hours to get 1 shot at 1 person.

Hur Hur. U sed learning external ballistics isn't really rocket science.

ACE is great, Wind alone makes for more interesting fire-fights.

I dont agree, I am a Sniper as well, have been in every game I play that allows them, and been doing so since Duke Nukem and Doom well where possible since then at least.

The problem with snipers in Dayz is not the rifles, or the bullet drop or the distances, its the other guns, people take a sniper rifles because it kills fast but they run and gun with them , they need to make the game more fluid for people with M4A1's make it more fluid like something oh I dunno QUAKE, running around with an assault rifle can be a bit of a chore and thats why there are so many snipers around.

all they need to do is make the assault rifles more usable and the only people with sniper rifles will be the ones who actually enjoy sitting behind a rock for 6 hours to get 1 shot at 1 person.

So you are suggesting to make this RnG game?

This game is supposed to be authentic, not some unreal tournament laser fight while jumping to the roofs and running lightspeed.

Assault rifles as the pistols are VERY usefull if you know how to use them as are the snipers. And you can avoid snipers when you know how to use the terrain... dont just think it should be played like rng cod.. Every tool has its own purpose...

Most ppl who complain about snipers are sitting on the loot pile at the cherno hospital, crawling through stary military tents or sprinting across the huge fields even not bothering to check around or use the forests to circle around.. bottom line its your own fault when you get shot.

I agree that it would be nice to have more challenging enviroment and mechanics to snipe, just because I would like to take the time to learn it.. not because I get shot because my own stupidity.

Edited by Zeppa

That kind of mechanics would be awesome to dayz, to every weapon... but for snipers you should really externally adjust you zeroing, heading... remove jams..not just beat page up/down while scoped and fire.. , add to that better physics and stuff... sweet.

ot.. that guy on the video is damn hilarious at his bf3 videos, the swedish wiking...

Edited by Zeppa

i can agree that snipers are problem on regular or recruit servers. "Free rangefinder" with scroling and crosshair for snipers just dont give a chance to ppl with other guns. But that is the problem of ppl which want "Easy" server. In this game actualy it is much harder to play recruit server than veteran :)