Sign in to follow this  
padla

DayZ Stand alone ideas / suggestions

Here's my 2 cents.

I really hope at least some of this reaches dev team. Please discuss constructively.

#1. For the love of God, NO BATTLE EYE.

#2. Characters bound to specific server with game allowing for maximum 8-10 characters different servers. 1 character per server max to prevent item swapping and building up with "disposable character". This will easily fix combat server hopping, storing items in camps on secure servers, spawn server hopping etc... This will also be consistent with vehicles and tents being server bound. This will also develop communities because instead of people hopping servers they will play with same people eventually developing rivalries or friendships.

#3. Time out before log out (like in other mmo RPG/FPS such as Planetside or Wow). Time out should be server side and independent of gamer client. I.e. if you alt F4, you character will stand around on the server for 15 seconds and can be killed.

#4. Active equipement slots for : primary weapon - 2 handed, secondary weapon - 1 handed, Tool - 1 handed. Cannot use anything else while using 2 handed items obviously, but one handed items can be combined. Example: Firefighters Axe = 2 handed. Rifle = 2 handed. Flashlight = 1 handed, Makarov =1 handed, combat knife = 1 handed. So you could use handgun+flashlight, flashlight+knife or knife+handgun simultaneously for example. All actions such as cutting wood could be appended by item and accessed without explicitely equiping the item. So you could use 2 handed axe or a small hatchet to cut wood for example.

#5. New "household/improvised" weapons for beginner civilian spawns:

- Melee: Stick, Shovel, spetsnaz shovel (entrenching tool), baseball bat, baseball bat with nails, kitchen knife, hunting knife, hammer, axe, CHAINSAW (yeeees!... uses jerrycans as ammo)

- Ranged: flare gun (one shell magazine, shoots flares similar to M203 grenade launcher. however they do damage to player/zombies), Tazer (knocks players out, inefective vs zombies), Bow, Nailgun (industrial spawn, short range, random low-moderate damage, uses nails as ammo),

#6. Ability to craft weapons, devices from junk you find :

Hammer + nails + baseball bat = Baseball bat with nails

String + 3xempty can = crude alarm (makes loud noise when triggered)

string + kitchen knife + stick = Makeshift Spear

String + Grenade = explosive trap (will probably be overused kinda like barbed wire near firestation now to kill noobs, but will force people not to run through cities speed looting, and will defend your camps... Could present balance issues, should not credit kill to player)

#7. Ability to upgrade vehicle to adapt them to post apocalyptic environment. Example: You may find a broken Ural, fix it to working condition, then add a spiked bumper, armored plating on the sides, engine upgrade and a machinegun on top to make it into a true zombie crusher. And it would look bad ass. (Google trucks made by mexican cartels. here is one)

post-49690-0-20139400-1344996085_thumb.j

#8. Rivers / lakes / marshes / islands. I worked with Operation Flashpoint engine (which is essentially early version of Arma2 engine) and I know it doesnt take kindly to rivers. Hopefully Arma3 engine (which I assume Dayz Standalone will use) can better handle it. Having a network of rivers (with islands of different sizes!) that can be navigated by boat will give a whole new dimension to survival and safety. You can find a boat and go up stream without fearing zombies, you can make a fortified camp on an island and claim that territory. It can give place to Vietnam like situations of riverside ambushes and people using boats at night to travel etc. It will also create new very dangerous zone: bridges. Being the only way to cross a river if you do not have a boat, they will quickly become sniper magnets. As obstacles, rivers can also serve as sort of boundaries for beginner, intermediate and advanced zones on the map... VERY interesting gameplay possibilities IMO. Unfortunately one of the least developed gameplays in the whole franchise as well. Subject to balance of course

#9. Ability to restore power to cities. Fix a powerplant, and it will light up the city at night (for a certain number of days lets say). Also maybe the zombies are not comfortable with light and they will leave a city (stop spawning) if lights are working. The loot should stop spawning as well for balance (if town is safe in real life it will be picked clean in hours). Or maybe powerplant can power some sort of constructable Towers that will repulse zombies (infra sound generators for example). Zombies can periodically spawn to attack these towers giving players a mission to defend those towers if they want to keep town zombie free. This can create "safe" zones (safe from zombies) where players can interact. Either establish claimed territory or create a hub for trading.

#10. A variety of clothing, including camouflages, Facepaint :thumbsup: , ghilliy suits as they are in game now. Ability to change hats, and maybe other pieces of clothing (probably will be impossible under arma engine though)

#11. No visible distinction between friendlies and bandits should be made (like in real life).

#12. Possibility to create squads. Making a squad gives you a slightly better way of spotting your squadmates (like in arma 2 SP now). This is a game and we have to compensate for lack of visual inputs after all. Friendly fire is still on, so if you team up with wrong people its your funeral still....

#13. Body armor. Rare obviously. Found in police stations (Bullet proof vests) or army installations (camo flak jackets and helmets)

#14. All buildings should be explorable (probably impossible under arma engine :(. Oh well)

#15. Camouflage nets, to mask your vehicles and camps from air ad ground. I also heard ideas of underground structures discussed by Rocket. Thats cool.

#16. Separate attachements for weapons. ability to add silencer if found, scope if found. Subject to compatibility between weapon and attachement. (i think its already in Arma3)

#17. Ability to claim regions on the map. Cities , forests, islands etc... Not sure on mechanic and implications

#18. Diferent infections player can catch. Cold = pneumonia (cough, cure=antibiotics) , Zombie attacks = The Virus (player turns into zombie after 48 hours, cure= Vaccine), any wounds that are not treated for a while = infection ( vision blurry, cure= antibiotics, in not treated may kill)

#19. Player with broken legs that takes morphine still has his mobility reduced for some time.

#20. Fishing, trapping. Considering it is a survival mod, it makes sense. A mechanic has to be worked out however as I doubt people will sit for 15 minutes on one spot trying to catch a fish with snipers around. Maybe nets, that you can come back to and get fish out of them.

#21. A very "light" set of skills. No skill trees, and they could be learned semi randomly through books found in game. For example : Survival guide = Trapping learned OR firemaking learned, Army fire arms guide = slightly less recoil (or rather normal recoil. beginner character has amplified recoil) OR slightly faster reload (or rather normal reload. beginner character has increased reload) Some of these skills, like fire arms handling should also be learned over time. This kind of skills are well represented in ARMA editor by skill slider (in Operation Flashpoint at least). In OP you could play a mission as a recruit that has trouble controling his breath, and next mission as a spec op who is a cold professional with pin point aim. Evolution like this in Dayz could be cool as we all start as "civilians" as long as it doesnt gimp new players too much.

--- EDITED 2012-08-19 ---

New ideas

#22. Improved object throw mechanic. Having a choice between lighting flare or lighting and throwing it. accessible through "firemode" selection.

#23. Ability to make signals with road flares/chemlights. Action accessible from mousewheel menu when you are holding a flare. You could for example wave the flare above your head to signal.

#24. Urban camouflage. Maybe also some rare high end version of specops night camouflage (without going too much into sci fi)

#25. Repairable trains. the railroad is already pretty believable in Arma 2. Putting 2-3 trains that can be repaired and driven one or more cars would be cool i think. Just need to make sure no collisions are possible. can be attacked and disabled/destroyed.

#26. adjust weapons spawns to ensure that majority of new players have civilian weapons. getting an AKM within minutes from spawn is a little unrealistic. Some testing will surely be needed, but maybe make all weapons more rare to make people improvise/cooperate more?

#27. different zombie types. not just way they move like now, but different power (military stronger than civilians for ex) , different speed, different awareness. Again, more challenge to force people to work together

--- EDITED 2012-08-21 ---

#28. How about more random AI "special" encounters. Like a rare spec ops team for example doing reconnaissance on the ground. They can arrive by chopper (thus alerting players to their presence), move through several waypoints on the map, engage zombies in towns, and kill players on site (their orders are anything = zombie) and, if alive extract from a different point on the map. This would have a kind of resident evil flavour, government investigation... they would carry rare military weapons, good equipement, if players get lucky to catch them while theyre loading / unloading, they could even get a working chopper... should be a very rare encounter, much less likely than finding a chopper for example. And they should present serious danger to players. A watered down version could be a more common encounter of a small military camp with Ai soldiers being attacked by zombies. or a small military vehicle convoy trying to get out to their evac point.... Again all encounters _could_ be hostile, but then again, there could be some that are friendly and give trade / quest options... Would give a little more rpg flavour to the game, but would keep sandbox gameplay as long as these events are kept very rare...

#29. Giving players possibility to use bloodpacks on themselves, basically a last resort do or die choice. Probability death = 67% Probability survive and full HP restore 33%. that way people would use it only when faced with certain death.

Edited by Padla
  • Like 15

I pretty much agree with everything on this thread, you have my beans! The standalone should also allow players to shoot out of the back of certain vehicles (certain vehicles like ATV's and Motorcycles wouldn't work and vehicles with more seats would pose a bigger threat).

Yea, it is a good idea.

I think possibilities will be really limited by Arma 3 engine since it is 95% going to be used by the stand alone. I hope they manage to push realism (= freedom to improvise solutions) further without making gameplay tedious and clunky.

I have seen underwater combat footage from Arma3 leading me to believe that the engine is much more capable of supporting water rich environments such as rivers etc.

Operation flashpoint engine would put all water as one level "ocean" object. So if you would make river shaped depression, it would behave as part of ocean with waves etc... No to mention AI would go mental near a river or a bridge. It is somewhat improved in Arma 2 but still rather inadequate as is the object clipping (sinking through barn floors, walls etc)...

#3 is touchy as what if you logout and a bandit comes around the corner (neither one of them saw each other) and you got killed maybe 5 sec could still bleed out and die and zed would maul you.And if you fall unconscious during the 5 seconds or whatever the clock resets from when you "wake up"?

my brother came up with a prett cool idea of having buildings connected via a sewer system. You could access buildings from this area and travel somewhere below the zombies. You would also run into some othe people so it would lead to interesting moments where you see somone elses flashlight and you hide. Another cool things would be more vehicles and have crashed planes in areas. And a big thing more rooms bigger buildings. And mini stories like a crashed truck with some dead soldiers around it and a rifle or 2 with some ammo. That'd be cool to see that before the infection people were living their lives. Finding a shotgun in a country house would make sense or in a farm where loot like that would be common. Also maybe a market or a survivors heaven where you go in unarmed and trade gear for food or medical supplies.

• Like 2

Just FYI, i'm actually working on the design backlog as we speak. This stuff is useful.

• Like 5

Just FYI, i'm actually working on the design backlog as we speak. This stuff is useful.

well im sure that wont make any frequent posters feel impotent considering alot of this has been suggested before.

welcome to the suggestion forum rocket

EDIT: Correction, ALL of this has been suggested before... *sigh*

Edited by 3rdParty

Why haven't i seen this thread before. oh that's right its a copy and paste of other user's suggestion into one massive clusterfuck without due regard to forum rules. I've got no problems with said implementation of the forum's ideas but if the OP could at least link to the original posters ideas with their acknowlegdment that would make it at least a tad more fucking respectful. Autobots Unite!!!!

• Like 2

Rocket's back hope you had fun in Germany ...........praying for a update on 1.7.2.5's headache inducing flaws

winkingpegg.gif

I like the ability to use a building as a base/camp. If the area is isolated (ie lone farmstead) and you have a decent squad online why wouldnt you build ur base at a house? Its what would happen normally.

#28. How about more random AI "special" encounters. Like a rare spec ops team for example doing reconnaissance on the ground. They can arrive by chopper (thus alerting players to their presence), move through several waypoints on the map, engage zombies in towns, and kill players on site (their orders are anything = zombie) and, if alive extract from a different point on the map. This would have a kind of resident evil flavour, government investigation... they would carry rare military weapons, good equipement, if players get lucky to catch them while theyre loading / unloading, they could even get a working chopper... should be a very rare encounter, much less likely than finding a chopper for example. And they should present serious danger to players. A watered down version could be a more common encounter of a small military camp with Ai soldiers being attacked by zombies. or a small military vehicle convoy trying to get out to their evac point.... Again all encounters _could_ be hostile, but then again, there could be some that are friendly and give trade / quest options... Would give a little more rpg flavour to the game, but would keep sandbox gameplay as long as these events are kept very rare...

Yes, yes, yes. A billion times yes. Particularly if there's no way a single person can handle those kind of encounters.

• Like 2

most of these have been suggested. I know of one that is my suggestion! but i didn't read them cause i've seen almost all of them before roaming around the thread. Please use the search option.

Honestly I don't mind how the idea get's out there, as long as it does.

Welcome back! been a while since I've seen you here ;)

• Like 1

I want a cabin in the woods, a rocking chair on the porch and a shotgun in ma hand!

Anyone comes near ma property gonna get a belly load o' lead.

i read something about underground, but with instances. so you go into a "door" and "warp" to an other map.

why not try to get this from vbs2 ? look at video at 4:50min. that would be really great to have "save-zones"

i even hope this is in arma3.

hope this get in the dayz standalone version!!

Edited by themaster

well im sure that wont make any frequent posters feel impotent considering alot of this has been suggested before.

welcome to the suggestion forum rocket

EDIT: Correction, ALL of this has been suggested before... *sigh*

Why haven't i seen this thread before. oh that's right its a copy and paste of other user's suggestion into one massive clusterfuck without due regard to forum rules. I've got no problems with said implementation of the forum's ideas but if the OP could at least link to the original posters ideas with their acknowlegdment that would make it at least a tad more fucking respectful. Autobots Unite!!!!

Ok,

I have noticed same ideas floating around.

I am not claiming to be the first to suggest them, by all means go ahead and get the credit if that is what you are after, but they are all something that I came up with. These are MY ideas, as much as they are yours since you apparently also came up with them. I don't have time to search the forums to see if idea was suggested, so I made a brainstorm post in hopes devs see it. I am very happy they did. Thank you Rocket. And thanks to all of you for suggesting same things i would like to see in the game. If many people suggest similar ideas, the dev team will be more likely to consider them. So please, stop crying.

Thanks for making amazing mod man! Can't wait for the standalone.

Edited by Padla

Ok,

I have noticed same ideas floating around.

I am not claiming to be the first to suggest them, by all means go ahead and get the credit if that is what you are after, but they are all something that I came up with. These are MY ideas, as much as they are yours since you apparently also came up with them. I don't have time to search the forums to see if idea was suggested, so I made a brainstorm post in hopes devs see it. I am very happy they did. Thank you Rocket. And thanks to all of you for suggesting same things i would like to see in the game. If many people suggest similar ideas, the dev team will be more likely to consider them. So please, stop crying.

Thanks for making amazing mod man! Can't wait for the standalone.

JUst pointin out hypocrisies, dont patronise me. Everything youve written has been written on extensively by peeps who did use the search function, and did put the effort in. IM not having a go at you, although considering your patronizing tone im starting to feel the urge.

And your right they are NOT YOUR IDEAS as there is no such thing as an original idea. The reason why a million peeps have flocked to a mod is proof that even rockets idea wasnt original. Loads of peeps have been thinking about it for a long time.

The point is that by posting on this thread, hes justified the forum rule breaking mentality. The whole reason why ideas are not solid developed concepts on this is BECAUSE peeps dont use the search function, because they repeat the same stuff. Infact by quoting this you can tell you didnt read before posting thread? SO whats the point of it?

Its not only diluted the discussions and made valid points lsot but its also lead to some bright threads getting lost and forgotten. So no its not a good thing.

i read something about underground, but with instances. so you go into a "door" and "warp" to an other map.

why not try to get this from vbs2 ? look at video at 4:50min. that would be really great to have "save-zones"

i even hope this is in arma3.

hope this get in the dayz standalone version!!

I dunno how a survivor would get his hands on UAV and the UAV control center/vehicle with both being intact. It is a little too much tech to put back together. Besides looks overpowered for dayz gameplay :)

But the video has some other very cool things that could hint at possible standalone features:

- New firing positions : 1:48

- New pyrotechnics : 4:13

- Underground structures: 4:55

- Items being placed in different places in a vehicle : 5:25

- Specific dismount points for vehicles : 5:40

Edited by Padla
  • Like 1

I'd like to see most of the weapons in game replaced with russian counter parts, too many western military and civilian weapons about, when there are plenty of russian guns that would do. Plenty of examples here http://world.guns.ru/index-e.html.

Non Russian weapons should only be found at military helicopter crash sites and forign military expedition camps (both of which should be random) Also weapons used by Russia's closest neighbours would show up.

As the AK 100 series caters for the Russian 5.45 and 7.62 and NATO 5.56 rounds ammo there would still be a good supplie of different types of ammo.

There are a lot of fire arms in the hands of russian civilians which allows for citizens to own smoothbore weapons, and after 3 years with out trouble assault rifles etc so finding basic russian weapons should be easy. No need for the Winchester 1866s or Lee Enfilds turning up in barns when you can easily find russian civilian rifles and shotguns.

Would love some kind a "leave a message on the ground" system (kinda like in Dark Souls). Like, you could find a piece of paper and pen and then write something and leave it on the floor. Could be some basic tips for other players, could be some cool thing you experienced. A "Survivors Diary" if you will. The fact that real players write those down would really add to authenticity and the feel of the game.

Saw someone suggest about 'survivors haven' or some kind of trade building, think it's a really good idea but you just know you'll get some people trying to shoot it up/'nade it, maybe have it so as weapons are disabled in this/these (maybe multiple camps) trade camps/buildings, really interesting idea though.

Would love some kind a "leave a message on the ground" system (kinda like in Dark Souls). Like, you could find a piece of paper and pen and then write something and leave it on the floor. Could be some basic tips for other players, could be some cool thing you experienced. A "Survivors Diary" if you will. The fact that real players write those down would really add to authenticity and the feel of the game.

I think Rocket already stated he's going to give players the ability to keep a journal. I don't know about this, but it would be great to be able to write messages on paper and post them places.

Hello hall

It should be that the players can do fishing, planting foods, and collect berries,herbs and so.

maybe one save place, a bar for example where people can look for guys to play with or exchange things.

and a "survival firestone" would be nice :)

and maybe that we can lock our cars, so that other players need for example a crowbar to open and steel it..

sry for my bad english, its not my native language :D

Hey rocket and Matt, I hope you see this as one of my freinds and myself was playing and got thinking about some features,

Number one, there should be a Sanety bar, like if you are alone in the wilds you will go more and more insane and start blacking out maybe, and if you were with people it would go up,

Allso we got the crazy idea thet you could smoke, as if you started getting low on your sanety a cigarette could make it go up and you would feel better again, it takes away your stamina as it does in real life..

We also got to thinking that if you killed a person that was not a bandit that sanety bar would go down, and if you killed a bandit it would go up,

And if you dont move alot you gain weight and cant walk or run as fast as if you move alot, and allso, we got to thinking, that it would be really cool with some way to interact with other people, like shaking their hands when you meet and you go more and more freinds as you run/play together over time, its just some ideas we got while we was playing, I and GingerMunkey hope you see this as we both thought it would be really nice ideas, and it adds to the survival aspect of the game, allso we thought that a dog could keep you sane if you were om your own, that sort of thing, but as I said. We hope you read this, much love from BackSlaSherS and Sgt.GingerMunkey! :)

• Like 1