Afraid to die - are you?

Afraid to die...  

149 members have voted

1. 1. because your dude is great?

• yes
    • no
    • I die every 20 minutes anyway

Depends on the death.

If I die during a firefight on the airfield / mowed down by a heli / sniped by someone who found me before i find him, i'm fine with dying.

What i fear are deaths that are a result of trying to vault over an object, break a leg and get swarmed by zombies, or die to a bloody server hopper.

The better items i pack, the more the first list decreases, and the second one gets longer and longer.

Still, if not for this incredible tension, DayZ would be like watching paint dry.

Personally I am not afraid to die. However, at present, my husband and I share a CD-key, and therefore share a character. After he's been playing and has acquired a lot of stuff, I don't like to play because I'm afraid I'll lose him. It just happened this morning. The character had gotten sick, and I had some antibiotics stashed in a tent near Cherno. My husband had logged him off in Stary. O_o So, I thought I'd go ahead and just run him to the tent and get the antibiotics. I did that, no problem. Killed a cow, cooked some meat, and had him back to full health. Yay!

Then I decided to go see if the fishing boat I'd saved was still there (near Kamenka.) I took off toward that way, and got one-shotted over the head from behind by a zombie (freaking OP zombies I swear) and I fainted. I thought I'd have enough blood to outlive the faint, but no... the zombie apparently called over five of his friends for dinner. SIGH.

I did respawn pretty close and was able to get most of the gear back, but my husband has lost the ghillie suit he found and was so happy with since you can't loot them back off your corpse.

Screw that crap. I logged out and I'm not logging back in until 1) I get my own damn CD key or 2) my husband gets himself killed so I won't feel guilty, geez.

• Like 1

After you've played the game for a while, you realise how easy it is to gear up and dying becomes as fun as playing as you get to go back to the coast with absolutely nothing.

It would be a nice little way to find other people, who have too much to lose to attack you and who just wanna meet up and pass through some difficult spot/raid a town together.

I met someone like this yesterday, he had played a while by the look of his ghillie suit and silenced AR. He was helping this dude through Electro so i tagged along. Bandits heard our chatter i think, we made a dash for it but he got shot and DC. The other guy went down and i ran right into another bandit, i heard some guy said sorry and bam i was dead. At least he tried, lol.

i have over -240000 humanity ppl will kill me i have no fear of this as i will kill you aswell.

Haha, I have 2800 humanity :)

I am not afraid to die. Part of the game is to get gear and have fun. If I do die I try and make it back to my body to see if anything is left. It only takes 10 to 15 min to make it up north. most of the time half of my gear is still their. If it is gone I just hit Stary and NWAF to get it back. Also deer stands and crash sites. I curently have M4A3 W/ 8 mags, AS50 W/ 6 mags, NVG's, G17 W/ 6 mags, plus all my other tools. Time to head up to NWAF for Rangefinder. I do not kill other players unless they shoot at my wife or me. I am overlook for her that is why I have the AS 50. I have been alive for 2 days and I have 1 murder and 150 zed kills. I have to say it is more fun to look for gear then trying to keep it. :)

• Like 1

Finally I have a guy worthy of going bush with. So I plan to stay alive as long as I can. You need some basic supplies to become self sufficient then it's just a matter of surviving it seems.

sometimes i get bored of all that stuff and a fresh start on the coast is really funnier than gutting boars and be paranoid in hellholes small towns..and when you hear gunshots how can you avoid to go to see what's happening???

• Like 1

I'm not afraid to die as I know exactly where a large base is on a certain server that I can just run back to and gear up with EVERYTHING. The base is always loaded so they must be duplicating stuff.

To be honest it's making the game kind of stale at the minute. Plus I play with a group of people and that makes the chances of survival so much greater.

I miss the early DayZ where I would be playing solo, be constantly afraid, and overjoyed when I found a can of soda! Now even the high end military gear seems common to me.

I might start playing solo and avoid the server where I know the base location. Might make the game fun again...

• Like 1

The first thing you tell someone new to the game is "Don't get attached to your gear". I can get close to full geared up in 30-45 minutes so No, I am not afraid to die. If you are afraid to die than you aren't getting the full experience of this game and you probably just run through forests all day up north avoiding people.

Join a full server and go up into the hills above cherno/elektro with a basic weapon and you can kill someone who is decked out with everything. A lot of people who are afraid to die also Alt+F4 so get used to it.

I've been playing for months, I've lost helicopters by being forcefully ejected out of them by hackers, I've had vehicles blown up by spawned land mines, nuked to kingdom come, been shot from hundreds of meters away, blow up by grenades, killed by numerous server hoppers inside barracks and other normal deaths in the harsh world of chernarus, last time I actually cared and got mad was when I was killed by surprise by a female character that had just joined inside the barracks, it was a damn shame that I had lost everything the game had to offer, after that I just didn't care any more, the fact that I can obtain most end-game millitary gear, besides NVG's and rangefinders, probably makes it less painful, but now I just want to mess around, scream at people over direct or slash them to death with a hatchet while screaming ''BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD''

I got the same problem atm...got most of the good stuff...the slow and legit way. Our server doesnt spawn vehicles and tents not working. So for the last few days i played a lot less than the weeks before...just because the only thing i could do would involve meeting other players and i'm clinging to my stuff and dont want to waste it after all the effort and adventures it took to get it. So i dont really venture out alone and that really sucks...i want the fun times back when surviving ment finding the next can of beans and not crouching through the night and protecting your stuff or not logging in at all.

Don't get me wrong...i wont ever Alt+F4 except for a hacker attack...but i just dont go into any action anymore when i'm not backed by my mates. So i sulk stuffed with high tec weapons watching youtube videos of other ppl having fun in chernarus. Fucking pitiful. I think i will go out now and give all my stuff to a friend who started a few days ago and start from scratch. Funny how we cling to material stuff even in the virtual world oO

• Like 2

Im Playing Ofp/Arma the last 10 Years...

And so on i killed Probably 654398 People.(i dont need that in Dayz)

Dayz is a Survival Simulator .. and thats the way i Play it.

Day 35..Still looking for Beartraps... but nothing.

Edited by nicebasi

...i want the fun times back when surviving ment finding the next can of beans and not crouching through the night and protecting your stuff or not logging in at all.

Funny how we cling to material stuff even in the virtual world oO

That's me right now, imagine my eyes light up when I found my first AK and my disappointment when I died with it in my hands 15mins later. Epic lol.

Im Playing Ofp/Arma the last 10 Years...

And so on i killed Probably 654398 People.(i dont need that in Dayz)

Dayz is a Survival Simulator .. and thats the way i Play it.

Day 35..Still looking for Beartraps... but nothing.

This is what makes it so refreshing. The fact that after wasting tens of thousands of guys without a second thought, I'm actually sorry about the guy I killed yesterday when I panicked.

When your a noob just getting in and out of Electro is a nightmare, failed twice last night. :)

If you are afraid to die than you aren't getting the full experience of this game and you probably just run through forests all day up north avoiding people.

Join a full server and go up into the hills above cherno/elektro with a basic weapon and you can kill someone who is decked out with everything. A lot of people who are afraid to die also Alt+F4 so get used to it.

While I understand what you're saying it's also what I don't like that much about Dayz, atm. It caters to that specific way of playing and you are rewarded for going full risk and eventually getting away with it. Since you have nothing to lose, you might win a lot and the other guy lost everything. I am far less attracted by distant gunfire when I'm well-stoked. When I had nothing on me, I'd rush to every fight.

I would be more cautious in rl and I have fun strategizing my way through an area and plotting my waypoints through it. That's how I survived, I don't just walk around to check out stuff and gun down people. I really want to feel like there is a life at stake here, and I'm doing my best to preserve it.

Oh - and of course - the thing that creeps me out the most and what I'm really afraid of are hackers. it's just so disappointing when you can't do anything against the henchmen of death.

Edited by S3V3N

I play alone most of the time but like to meet up with people along the way. Unfortunately, every time I do, I die. I'm not afraid to die because I rarely have anything more than some beans and flashlight but if I get a map and a compass,or similar, then I find myself thinking what a shame I'm going to die, it would be nice to have these things for a bit longer. :thumbsup:

NO

I myself am a bandit, and if I kill others, I have to accept that I will die myself sooner or later. So I accept it.

And with my experience now, if someone kills me, it's gg cause he outsmarted me. I have nothing to complain about (unless it's a hacker (god mode))

A bandit can not be afraid of dying, as he plays with death every day.

Sometimes im afraid to die. I have yet to meet a horrible death by hacker (knocks the hell outta the wood desk). But even so I still like gearing up and making my way around. Im not picking about weapons too much as ive used a lot and know how even a remmington can be effective. Heck ive gotten basic gear, found 2 helos on the way to NWAF in the first 50 minutes of one life only to have a zombie walk through a wall and aggro and magically break my legs, knock me out, and eat me.

Shit happens so i've learned to accept it now.

I've only had High-tier equipment a couple of times before(Ghillie, NVG, Rangefinders, L85 and AS50) and I have lost it all. Now that I worked my way up to Hightier gear again I'm always alot more cautious, to an extent I'm affraid of dying. Though if I only got low-tier weapons and gear I tend to run into Cherno/Elektro blindly.

Edited by eJonKou

It seems to me that the object of the game is to survive, so I play very conservatively. I'll spend some time watching a town before entering it to get an idea of where the zombies are, and wether there are any other players there. I typically avoid other players like the plague. The last time i came across another player and tried to help them out they were a new spawn in a coastal town at night. At first I thought they were new and didn't know what they were doing, but after a little while I swear he was doing everything he could to attract zombies and get me killed so he could loot me.

I have avoided others since, unless on a private hive server, then I'l get the stupid stuff out of my system lol.

Ever since I found my first DMR and have been learning to use it (haha, goats don't stand a chance!) I have been feeling a bit more attached. Ever since my friend got killed after stalking a bunch of bandits (thought he was safe then, *ratatata* from close by) I have been a bit more apprehensive of taking risks.

I guess that as long as I know what I'm getting myself into I am able to accept loss (played Eve Online for about five years before quitting so I am quite used to it). When it comes to situations where hackers are active (i.e. you see "carpet bombs" falling and other odd phenomena happen) I tend to just log out because I really hate dying while feeling helpless to stop it.

So am I attached to my character? After realizing that it isn't super hard to get good loot from NW airfield if you take it easy I am not that picky anymore but sure... I sigh and eat a little bit of ice cream when I feel like I didn't do my best, but only because of that; because I should've been better or I should've been more awake, etc.

cool idea about radio S3v3n.

anyways, I find i am not afraid to die. though i don't like to die either. yesterday was doing my normal deer stand raids, living in the same section of woods i have been living in for a couple of weeks. raided airfield a few times, survived. raided stary a lot, survived. would normally see a survivor and just lay low instead of being a dick and killing them. all in all i had some really nice gear. more ammo than i knew what to do with. several guns, 1 for CQC, 1 long range, a side arm. never went hungry or thirsty. THEN IT HAPPENED. i was crossing a danger area (AKA a field) and of course as always, checking my 6 every 4-5 seconds. literally 1 second after i turn around to face foward a hacker spawns behind me with wierd purple gloves and an anti-material rifle and he kills me. at first i was like, " could he really of snuck up on me like that? was it a player or a hacker?!". so then i respawn, and am in "wilderness". not even close to a town or city. i start to run nothernly and suddenly the same dude with those stupid purple gloves spawns behind me again. this time i ran circle around him for 10 seconds (mind you i had NO gear at that time because i just had spawned) cursing at him through direct chat, then finally giving in, letting him kill me, and i left the server there after. after ALL that work, all the close calls, and fun with my character, he was gone, and so was my awesome gear i'd worked so hard for. but something happened. i found my self, more annoyed than angry or upset. i stopped and thought to myself "hey, you know how to play, you can be back on your feet with cool guy gear in no time, its easy!". well, my new character i started today already has an AKM with 8 clips, several painkillers, bandages, and morphine, side arm with several clips, all the stuff i need to venture up north and it only took me about 30 minutes of sneaking around to get it. so sure, it sucks i died, ESPECIALLY to a G.D. HACKER, but in the long run, it was fun to have to start over and be humbled, get what i need, and GTFO of dodge and head back to my old stopping grounds up north. lets just hope i find some more cool helo crashes with M4A1 CCO's and DMR's and M249's lol (and don't run into any biotch hackers again).