BusterFrisco

My Rant: Why I am Done with the Game.

The only thing that bothers OP that somewhat bothers me is people who spawn and pile stuff at key locations for uber purple gears (AKA campers). Teabag the shit out of those min-maxing jerks.

This is not an MMO...

We get it' date=' hell we probably get it more than you but the fact of the matter is the game does get stagnant after a certain point, ask the 40 people I started playing with which has been reduced now to about 8-10. I'm absolutely bored out of my mind at 110 hours but I keep playing to see what new changes are taking place.

Stop being such dickheads to those who want a better and more lasting experience.

[/quote']

Very true, but I think the game is hamstrung by several game design choices.

Almost any interesting interaction/objective/whatever can be "gamed" by server hopping. On the other hand cross-server persistence is basically a necessity based on the 50 player limitation.

To be honest I think this "experiment" has proven the argument for a sandbox game, but this is not the vehicle for it. I may dick around a little more, but I don't see any real way to add to player interactions.

Yeah' date=' I'm currently creating my own objectives by running zombies into people because I've already figured out that you can totally avoid the zombie threat by just crawling everywhere. No zombies killed, no bandits killed, no people encountered, just look before you go out in the open. It doesn't matter if you die because it's so easy to avoid zombies and gain loot, and even when I'm just running around, the building glitch is enough for me to scavenge ALICE packs and weapons and supplies I don't need. The fact that zombies can't follow you under concrete walls, up complicated towers, down steep mountains, or through more than two buildings makes their actual threat level nonexistent unless you're foolish enough to actually shoot them.

[/quote']

They can't see you when you crawl?

Yeah' date=' I'm currently creating my own objectives by running zombies into people because I've already figured out that you can totally avoid the zombie threat by just crawling everywhere. No zombies killed, no bandits killed, no people encountered, just look before you go out in the open. It doesn't matter if you die because it's so easy to avoid zombies and gain loot, and even when I'm just running around, the building glitch is enough for me to scavenge ALICE packs and weapons and supplies I don't need. The fact that zombies can't follow you under concrete walls, up complicated towers, down steep mountains, or through more than two buildings makes their actual threat level nonexistent unless you're foolish enough to actually shoot them.

[/quote']

They can't see you when you crawl?

Nope. It's the best way to solo a town.

My reward is needing food/ammo/drink/medicine and finding it without dying.

Sometimes I die.

Sometimes I don't.

I have fun either way.

don't think classic rewards or badges are needed at the moment, but if you expand the pbo files to show the achievements.txt file, there are placeholders for the following:

Virgin Slayer Kill 10 generation 1 survivors

Devil Incarnate Kill 50 survivors

The Hunter Gut 10 animals

Everybody's Hero Kill a zombie attacking an unconscious person

Sharpshooter Get 10 headshots in a row

Well Travelled Visit every town on the island

and a 'leaderboard' placeholder on the website. So who knows what will survive post-ALPHA for the official DayZ mod, but the only critical piece to anyone else further modding this to their liking is the existing mysql database persistence work or some variation thereof.

Fuck achievements.

"our gameplay is shit and longevity of this game nonexistant, so here's a list of shit you can do to get some points for your out of game profile to fap over."

Rather than just give up, play the single player instead.

Learn some lone survivor skills.

Dont give up just yet, it's still early.

I really really really hope that this mod does not go down the route of 'leveling' or retaining ANYTHING once you die, if it does there will be very little that stands out about the game.

I don't play that much and when I do it's with two other guys but right now my main complaint, if anything, would be that it's too easy. But then I do always play in the daylight!

If there was some magical way to stop everyone shooting on sight without ruining the sandbox feel I'd be all for it but I just don't see how it could be done other than having a closed community. I'm all for banditry when you NEED that can of beans but I'm not a fan of killing just to be a dick.

• Like 1

I really really really hope that this mod does not go down the route of 'leveling' or retaining ANYTHING once you die' date=' if it does there will be very little that stands out about the game.

I don't play that much and when I do it's with two other guys but right now my main complaint, if anything, would be that it's too easy. But then I do always play in the daylight!

If there was some magical way to stop everyone shooting on sight without ruining the sandbox feel I'd be all for it but I just don't see how it could be done other than having a closed community. I'm all for banditry when you NEED that can of beans but I'm not a fan of killing just to be a dick.

[/quote']

Easy solution: Dont be a dick, shoot only if someone is imminent threat to you.

I dont attack people, unless in it necessary. I dont shoot people who are running/moving away from me, I dont camp around to snipe people just or the pleasure of "pwning ze nablets". I only kill, if a person comes across my path, because then there is a high risk of me getting shot.

And tbh I really dont understand people who play this game basicly with the formula of "spawn, get CZ/other sniper-rifle, go to a hill and shoot random people". Why do you play a survival game to do this and not i.e. battlefield 3 is beyond me. But still, those people exist and are a real danger of DayZ's world, and I love the uncompromise that is DayZ there for I accept this.

You dont have to be a dick if you dont want to be a dick. Easy.

can see why the Devs have taken away the Humanity and Bandit skin catering to the 85% of people playing the game in this manner, which makes it even more frustrating.

a. Bullshit stats with no data to back it up.

b. if 85% of the people like it then why would anyone cater to 15% of the pop ? ( assuming your made-up stats are real )

c. about 10% of the players are bandits, not 85% and those are the numbers from the DayZ main page, showing again that you are just another crybaby.

So basically this guy complains about everything this mod is actually about?

I understand how rocket wants this game to play' date=' but the community just isn't allowing it.

[/quote']

You understand how you WANT rocket to want you to play. I'm not sure you have the first clue what he actually wants.

I understand how rocket wants this game to play' date=' but the community just isn't allowing it.

[/quote']

You understand how you WANT rocket to want you to play. I'm not sure you have the first clue what he actually wants.

But it seems you think you do know ?

Don`t be little others when the only person who know what rocket wants is rocket.

But it seems you think you do know ?

By "seems" you mean "I totally made this shit up"? Or can you quote where I claim to know myself?

I know a lot about what he DOESN'T want - like forced, software-driven mechanics that limit freedom and encourage/discourage particular styles of play. He has categorically stated he does not intend to implement things like that, which is what the person I replied to implies - that somehow rocket wants people to play in a particular way but just hasn't implemented the appropriate mechanics yet when the reality is he has specifically stated he does not intend to use mechanics to drive player decisions and behavior.

No I said seems as in it seems you think you know more than others who have the same access to the forums as you !

you are not rocket so you do not know more than anyone else but himself on what he wants.

So stop pretending you do.

You're done with a game in early Beta stage?

A game that, for all intents and purposes, could become a cult phenomena with unparalleled community input and coding?

Excellent.

More for us then.

Good move on, this game is not for everyone! Sandbox's aren't for everyone as well ether. I think people still forget this is in alpha and 99% of this mod was created by one person.

Yeah it can be repetitive, but honestly what game isn't? FPS, run around shoot each other, respawn, unlock stuff. Next map. MMO, run around kill mob, turn in quest, get loot. Next quest.

The goal here seems to be to survive. Seems so simple, yet so complex. I vote for larger map and laser guns. Pew pew. Lasers.

Free-For-All type gameplay

As far as I am concerned, this is a very accurate description of survival in an apocalyptic scenario, and people acting that way enhance the game I am playing even though I am playing it in a completely different way...they make the world into somewhere that is truly frightening...somewhere you never feel safe.

THAT IS HOW A SURVIVAL HORROR SHOULD MAKE YOU FEEL!

If you want a survival horror in which you do not have to fight tooth and nail for your survival, then you do not want to play a survival horror.