BusterFrisco

My Rant: Why I am Done with the Game.

Some people just don't understand the meaning of Alpha testing. Seriously most games aren't even playable in alpha, this game is honestly more stable than release candidates for a ton of AAA games. We get more and more features and content every release. No one should have to set you goals in a sandbox game that's about surviving, your goal should be to Survive and gather useful items. Maybe start helping new players out before they meet someone that's gonna stab them in the back and make them shoot everyone on sight. Take a castle and get some tents to stockpile ammo and guns. My biggest regret right now is i'm running around with rare guns, grenades, smoke grenades, and a ton of other desirable items and no where to store them, i am in dire need of a regular server to play on and a tent.

SNIP

Dude, if he was actually talking about issues that needed to be addressed and " legitimate concerns" then ye he wouldn't deserve the heat he is getting here. But he is kinda walking straight into it and saying "Waaaa this game sucks, its so hard for me, its not telling me what to do, all my stuff is gone, waaaa me me me"

When he DL the mod he didn't read what the game was about before he played it, he heard some cool story from gamespy.com, kotaku.com or any of the other big sites that has been talking about it lately. He probably plays CoD, BF3 and all the other major titles like many of us do and have an preconceived expectation of what a game should be (IMHO the wrong expectation thanks too CoD and BF3). When he logged in all his expectations was shattered and now he doesn't know what to do except complain about all the things that make this mod great.

Ill admit the bandit killing is annoying sometimes but if you time and time again run standing up and let ppl know where you are and in general do stupid things in the setting your in your gonna get killed. If you don't learn from that and stop doing it then this kind of sandbox gaming isn't for him.

This is for you Nya

Games these days have a standard formula so that the makers makes as much money as possible out of title. They do this by adding achievements, collectibles, goals and score cards for you too show off your E-peen to all the others. Well im getting old and i think that formula is getting old, back in the day we didn't need freeking score cards or achievements the gameplay itself was reward enough (for most of us). But for the new generation, the CoD kids and Console kids this isn't enugh. Screw gameplay as long as i can drop a tactical nuke on your head and post it on youtube to see how many likes i get, look at me i am so pro. You know what, f*** that and your f****** e-peen, im tired of seeing great titles with great potential go to waste just because you guys want your freeking e-peen stroked and the worst part of it. You dont want to work for it, you just want it and if your not getting it fast enough or its too hard then you all go "WAAAAAA this game sucks". Worst part of it is that since your so freeking many the devs listen to you and change it.

Im so happy that Rocket is who he is and don't listen to your whine and loves your tears. In the famous words of CCP "HARDEN THE F*** UP"

Also im going to be that guy and say ALHPA, and clearly many of you have no idea what that means, this is because when a game is in alpha it usually hasn't left the studio. For many of you this is your first alpha and your treating it like a beta or even released product.

So when you actually take up issues that needs to be addressed and not some post about this isn't easy enough for me so change it. Ye ill read your post maybe agree or post my opinions and possible solutions in your thread to save forum space. But when you basically start your post of with a whine, you deserve to get flamed like all the others. Either understand what the game is about before you play it, or learn from your mistakes. If you do neither then your doing it wrong.

PS Can i have your beans

I agree with all the points except 3. For me at least that is central to the games dread experiance. I have to say nearly everytime i've died to a bandit was becuase i wasn't being carfull / mad a mistake.

Glitching Z's however, now that just grrrrr . I actually got one hit punched out at almost full half last night by 1

Brace yourself, wall of text is coming!

1) And do you really think in a pseudo zombie apocalypse people will start to cooperate just because "OMG we are in danger!". Have even seen a single zombie movie? I'll just makes things easy and I ask you to watch "Night of the Living Dead" from George Romero, made in 1968 (watch out for the Tom Savini remake... it's still nice but let's start from the beginning).

When you managed to see it (buying the DVD, watching on TV or streaming, don't care... just watch it!) go back here and read what I'm writing.

What happened in the movie? People are in trouble, in a big trouble. They should cooperate, that's the most logical thing to do! And what happens? The exact opposite.

That's the MAIN theme of the movie and one of the things that made that movie a CULT. They were not cooperating, they were all being selfish (especially one character... but all in all they screw up everything).

Want some more examples? Look "Dawn of the Dead", again from Romero (this time, the remake is totally different here, watch the original). Right at the end of the movie (watch it please and then scroll down)...

... a group of "bandits" raid the Mall and kill EVERYTHING people and zombies alike. Why? Because that's what happens when you throw people in a situation like that! We CAN'T have any kind of "incentive to work together". And from what I know bandits tend to work together, it's just a different kind of gameplay. And THAT'S what makes this game so innovative, even in terms of sandbox gameplay. There is NOT one way to play this game. You can do whatever you want.

I am not a bandit, I just killed people that started to shoot me (most likely I died). The only time I killed an innocent person it was when one of my buddies has been killed by a bandit (with the survivor skin, way before the last update). I killed the bandit and right outside the building there was this guy watching. I said "indentify" or "Go away" or something like that. He circled the building and tried to enter from the back door. I was faster then him and I was waiting at the other door. He came closer. I started to shoot. Bang bang bang. A whole makarov magazine. Never seen so much bleeding in a body. He collapsed. And my murder counter became 1 from 0. I felt horrible. And that's why I don't kill and I just say people to STAY AWAY. You want teamwork? Talk, make yourself known in the server you play and start to play with some random people. Sometimes you'll get betrayed, shit happens. Just mark down the game and warn EVERY person you meet about that bandit. That's what we should do. We should do things on our own and not pretending that the games do everything.

2) Totally agreed. We need a real voice communication. I can't risk my life to write "identify!".

3 and 4) You're totally wrong. Permadeath is the new casual. If someone dies, he loose everything, so apparently we are all in the same boat. Also, you just need a few hours of gameplay to gear up and the more you do it the less time you spend on gearing up. That's the MAIN feature of the game: scavange for equipment. If we start to put "objective" and remove the permadeath DayZ will be a freaking Theme Park mmo... and a pretty shitty one.

This is a sandbox game, YOU make the objectives. Total freedom.

5) That's just a different way of playing the game, if you don't like it, don't play that way, but you can't force other people to do so. If we remove "free" bandits, this game is gonna become much less exciting and more "safe". The zeds are pretty much laughable. The real enemies of the games are the other players. Too bad you don't know which of them, making this game really challenging, exciting and different from all the games out there.

Is this a game for everybody? Absolutely not. This is not a "press to win" game. Actually I think this is one of the very few games (if not the only one) which is totally outside from that logic.

So what if everybody kills each other i have 4 buddies which 2 play the game on regular basis...

We don't want to deal with people and their hidden agenda's.

We just take the initiative and shoot first ask questions later.

The game is set in a realistic setting (granted some things really seem to be off but wont bitch about it) so if someone is alone do you really think he is gonna run in the open giving you a chance to shoot him.. No he is counting on the element of surprise which means he can camp and take out anybody that runs infront of him.

The only thing i dislike in this game is when you die the sick amount of running you need to do to get back to your friends, there are no shortcuts and i usually aint that close to the coast to begin with. It would be nice to see some respawn points in the north that you only get spawned at once you die somewhere up north. Offcourse not next to where you died but there is a big difference in running 8000 meters instead of 3000.

If you really wanna enjoy this game now, get some friends to play it with you. You will much better chances but you will still die alot because even one player that you have missed can ruin your day.

Your gonna get seriously flamed for that post mate! I dont think you actually "get" the game lol.

That was exactly what i was thinking.

The guy on the OP probably didnt understood the "spirit" of this mod

I've played this game for a week now. I will admit--it was very thrilling and addicting in the beginning. But' date=' then, the novelty of it just wore off. I can list some of the reasons why I think this game needs work:

1) There are about 85% of people playing this game like a TDM or Free-For-All type gameplay, which I think, doesn't suit this zombie survival genre. There is a definite lack of cooperation and teamwork. 70% I get killed by other players and 30% I get killed by zeds. Given the lack of squad play and continious random solo spawn points, playing with friends/teammates is nearly impossible. If I wanted TDM, I would play BF3, which is way more rewarding.

2) Communication in-game. How many times has someone rudely announced in voice chat, "Can you hear me?" I can't start to say how annoying this is! If you use the text chat, you are pretty much screwed as well because dick bandits use that to stalk and kill their prey.

3) Lack of Continuity: If I spend 6 hours playing and collecting loot and suddenly get sniped by a dick bandit, I expect some reward system where you can keep you're loot when you respawn based on the time that you have not died in-game. Losing everything so unexpectedly and suddenly is a complete waste of my time given that you have to start from scratch when you die. After so many times dying, the whole concept of the game gets old and repetitive real fast.

4) Need more objective play: Besides scavaging, surviving, and killing, I think there needs to be a reward system based on reaching objectives as well. For example, getting/keeping loot after surviving a certain amount of time. Going to a particular place on a map to check-in to get rewarded. After you've explored the Northernest most point on the map (i.e. Devil's Castle and Northwest Airfield), all the other places become mundane.

5) Camper dick bandits: There is this group who get a thrill solely from murdering Survivors. Instead of rewarding this group, in particular, with continuity, there should be a negative reward for such uncalled for gameplay (i.e. not in a situation needing food or drink and killing just for the fun of it). I can see why the Devs have taken away the Humanity and Bandit skin catering to the 85% of people playing the game in this manner, which makes it even more frustrating.

I will give kudos to the Devs for continuing to put out fresh patches with updates and the overall idea of the game. I just think, in its current state, I wouldn't play it continuously because it gets old and repetitive real fast. Some of you may agree and disagree with some of my points, but I will throw it out there for discussion.

[/quote']

HE MAD

We have 4 servers running, it seems there was a hive refresh or whatever 2 or 3 days ago and 2 of them have all new chopper spawns but the other 2 don't have any.

They all got new land vehicle spawns but 2 of the 4 missed out on choppers!

Is there a reason for this?

should I pm this to the devs?

Arguing about being admin material probably is a good indication that you are not. Something to keep in mind.

-MisinformedBadGuy

I've played this game for a week now. I will admit--it was very thrilling and addicting in the beginning. But' date=' then, the novelty of it just wore off. I can list some of the reasons why I think this game needs work:

1) There are about 85% of people playing this game like a TDM or Free-For-All type gameplay, which I think, doesn't suit this zombie survival genre. There is a definite lack of cooperation and teamwork. 70% I get killed by other players and 30% I get killed by zeds. Given the lack of squad play and continious random solo spawn points, playing with friends/teammates is nearly impossible. If I wanted TDM, I would play BF3, which is way more rewarding.

2) Communication in-game. How many times has someone rudely announced in voice chat, "Can you hear me?" I can't start to say how annoying this is! If you use the text chat, you are pretty much screwed as well because dick bandits use that to stalk and kill their prey.

3) Lack of Continuity: If I spend 6 hours playing and collecting loot and suddenly get sniped by a dick bandit, I expect some reward system where you can keep you're loot when you respawn based on the time that you have not died in-game. Losing everything so unexpectedly and suddenly is a complete waste of my time given that you have to start from scratch when you die. After so many times dying, the whole concept of the game gets old and repetitive real fast.

4) Need more objective play: Besides scavaging, surviving, and killing, I think there needs to be a reward system based on reaching objectives as well. For example, getting/keeping loot after surviving a certain amount of time. Going to a particular place on a map to check-in to get rewarded. After you've explored the Northernest most point on the map (i.e. Devil's Castle and Northwest Airfield), all the other places become mundane.

5) Camper dick bandits: There is this group who get a thrill solely from murdering Survivors. Instead of rewarding this group, in particular, with continuity, there should be a negative reward for such uncalled for gameplay (i.e. not in a situation needing food or drink and killing just for the fun of it). I can see why the Devs have taken away the Humanity and Bandit skin catering to the 85% of people playing the game in this manner, which makes it even more frustrating.

I will give kudos to the Devs for continuing to put out fresh patches with updates and the overall idea of the game. I just think, in its current state, I wouldn't play it continuously because it gets old and repetitive real fast. Some of you may agree and disagree with some of my points, but I will throw it out there for discussion.

[/quote']

HE MAD

Nah, just crying himself a river.

Bye, bye, carebear. Too bad you never understood what the game is about. Maybe you'll find something in the casual indie category on Steam. ;-)

3. Youre upset so many people keep playing to tdm? Imagine how many more would if they knew they had absolutely nothing to lose. That would make this game just another fps.

To be honest you pretty much just listed everything that I love about the game, the fact a bandit can stalk someone over in-game chat is awesome and adds to the intensity of the game, Player death and losing all your gear is my fav part of the game. Need to stay on your toes to avoid it.

This is a anti-game and its working, loving your precious tears.

This is ArmA my friend,a military game ... you can achieve a lot but never wait for a reward ... create your reward !

When i walk for 5km for example,iget myself 1 or 2 survivors for the fun then carry on !

@op This is not BF3 or anything remotley like it! And thank fuk for that.

If it's too tough for you op stick with the simple gameplay of bf3 and STOP crying for crutches to make DayZ easier for you.

Its a FREE mod if you don't like it don't play it!

IT'S A FUCKING ALPHA!!!!!

More features will be added, glitches will be fixed etc. This isn't a full mod but an ALPHA!

Don't like it? Don't play it. :) <3

[/quote']

You got shot in Stary Sobor didn't you.

I agree that DayZ is very much a TDMfest anymore. When the mod was first released, people used to use caution but still allow for player contact. I have yet to see a player who has not shot at me on sight in at least a week. It's that bad.

I understand how rocket wants this game to play, but the community just isn't allowing it. This games popularity is already starting to peter out (little by little, mind you) and i can't help but feel that the TDM kiddies will ruin this mod.

All that said, i still do enjoy the game on the loot-collecting level. I still get excited when i find an AK or M16. Zombies are kind of inconsequential as they don't really do any harm to players who use any amount of caution and run inside when they're spotted. I hope something is done to balance all of this out, but i don't see a possible solution.

I understand how rocket wants this game to play' date=' but the community just isn't allowing it.[/b'] This games popularity is already starting to peter out (little by little, mind you) and i can't help but feel that the TDM kiddies will ruin this mod.

Source on the quoted bit? Last I heard he simply wanted people to play, period. No rules, no rewards other than what you get yourself. You're not a superhero, nor in any way special. You're a human who survived the initial chaos and infection and now has precious little supplies.

I'm not at all surprised people shoot each other on sight, I still encounter people or small groups offering to assist. Resources permitting I let them pass, if I'm alone. If I need the resources, or playing with my friends on TS (more usually the case) then it's time for a set up.

I'm just a guy trying to survive, if I need your stuff to survive, I will happily pretend to be your friend then kill you. I don't know you. We roll with a NTSKOS (Not-TeamSpeak-Kill-On-Sight) although the 'on sight' bit is dependent on circumstance, only a fool shoots at more than 1 person in an exposed setting. It's not personal, it's business, the business of surviving.

If you think it'd be anything less in a realistic scenario, you are sorely kidding yourself.

N'aww, you died and lost everything?

I was on Day 14, with some mad stuff that I loved. I got killed, big whoop, I went on to kill the bastard that killed me, and enjoyed exploring other areas I didn't in the first time.

Game is really fun at first, but the individual novelties of killing zombie trains, building survivor/bandit camps or pvp are done better in other more established games like lfd, minecraft, bf3/cod. Look forward to separate variations on this mod that encourage team play(spawn on or near existing player for small 2-4 person squads, no global voice/chat spam) while those that like the existing brutal anti-game survivalist elements can continue to enjoy the more 'realistic' gameplay with the existing version.

ALPHA...

nuff said

Alpha version is not meant to be fun, it is meant for testing, so you either want to test or not, but dont complain its not enjoyable

As a person who loves being a bandit. I will say this I'm not there to ruin your experience I am there to make it more immersive. I don't care what you have on you or how long you have been playing. I am here to cause chaos. I am here to make the world just a little harder for everyone. I dont die and run to try and kill people over and over. I take my time to find weapons and ammunition to aid me in my quest of purging the world of humanity, I do my best to survive in the world just like everyone else. I just choose to eliminate everyone but myself and my crew.

I like the think if it this way.

I'm purging the world of lesser human survivors so that my guild will be the rulers of the world. Creepy mentality yes, unrealistic in an apocalypse type situation not at all. So. don't like me RPing a psychotic cult ruler bent on purging the world of impurities. That's fine don't play on any servers I'm on. problem solved.

I got my 10-20 hours of 'fun' out of the ALPHA product which is pretty good for an ALPHA before the novelties of the mod wore off. Game should have a great community for post-ALPHA with people who enjoy fun activities like running through the countryside and collecting loot/firewood before getting shot in the head to repeat the process.