domistyle

DaRT - A Lightweight DayZ (and ArmA) RCon Tool (v2.1 | 11/10/2015)

You're confusing open-source and freeware. Freeware only implies that the software is free for anyone to obtain.

You are correct on the fact that Freeware does not always mean that the source must be available.

But what I am trying to say is that only big companies that make free software that is being used by a large amount of people

keep the source closed.

DaRT however, NEEDS the source to be published simply because it has been coded really bad and the creators of DaRT can really use some external help to get the current issues fixed.

• Like 2

You are correct on the fact that Freeware does not always mean that the source must be available.

But what I am trying to say is that only big companies that make free software that is being used by a large amount of people

keep the source closed.

DaRT however, NEEDS the source to be published simply because it has been coded really bad and the creators of DaRT can really use some external help to get the current issues fixed.

Yes, I won't argue that putting up a public repository would speed up the bugfixes :) I've used DarT myself a few weeks back and it did suffer from some peculiar and annoying bugs so I do hope the source is published.

• Like 1

Hi, I have been using dart for a year now and i do find it helpfull. I am wondering why the Flags associated with the ip's and GUID of a player go away after awhile and i have completely reinstall Dart to get them back?

Hi guys, thank you for developing dart it is quite useful. I am having another problem however. What can I do about the player associated flags, they keep bugging out to question marks ? The only way to fix it is usually completely reinstall dart but that doesn't even work now ? I would really like to see a fix for this.

Hi guys, thank you for developing dart it is quite useful. I am having another problem however. What can I do about the player associated flags, they keep bugging out to question marks ? The only way to fix it is usually completely reinstall dart but that doesn't even work now ? I would really like to see a fix for this.

For the love of god, get some fking patience ...

i hope you get...

samuel-l-jackson-banned.gif

ugh

Edited by Markokil321
  • Like 1

I like it that a program like this is available, but be honest: it simply sucks.

Crashing all the time, some basic functionality not there, etc. etc.

Please post the source so people that can actually code fix it.

Good to hear, nobody forces you to use it.

I was wondering we have 3 servers that run on dart and we just swapped one to a new host promoting the question. How can we transfer the ban list from one profile to another.

You will need to do it manually by copying your bans.txt or use the mass ban feature from DaRT.

The software is very poorly coded mate. We need real coders to finish this.

The message "Thank you for using Dart v1.0.1, V1.1 will be out soon" has been there for about 2 months now.

Many server hosts say that it's designed very badly too but there's no real coder able to fix this piece of crap because

the makers of DaRT don't post the source code for it. Any software that does not cost money is categorized under the

Freeware license which states that the source code for it has to be available to it's users.

If the code is not available they have to make it cost money and stop getting payed for it using "donations".

I know that the code will be available "soon" but it should have been available already.

Makers of DaRT, fix this and stop making money of a free program.

The code is fine. (mostly ;))

DaRT is using a library which is using an unreliable protocol (RCon) which is based on an even more unreliable protocol (UDP) together with a pretty crappy server software - problems are pretty much expected to happen.

I am pretty much done with DayZ due to lack of time and support for server hosters which is why development is going alot slower now.

Beside, what if I told you that open source does not mean freeware or vice versa?

An open source application might as well cost money while a freeware application might not have a public source.

The team behind DaRT consisting of one person is infact already rich by now and made one million dollars with donations alone. ;)

Source code release will be once I am home again where the source code is, I do not have it with me at the moment.

I will simply upload a zip with the source code, everyone else is more than welcome to create a repository and continue to work on it.

In that matter, the source for the library that DaRT is using is already released here.

We have 3 servers all run on Dart. We want to swap ban lists how do we do this?

See above.

Yes, I won't argue that putting up a public repository would speed up the bugfixes :) I've used DarT myself a few weeks back and it did suffer from some peculiar and annoying bugs so I do hope the source is published.

See above.

I totally agree with you guys.

Hi, I have been using dart for a year now and i do find it helpfull. I am wondering why the Flags associated with the ip's and GUID of a player go away after awhile and i have completely reinstall Dart to get them back?

The flags are received from a public country API and then stored locally.

My API key probably got locked by now because of the traffic that DaRT caused which can make the flags stop to appear.

Edited by DomiStyle
  • Like 2

The code is fine. (mostly ;))

DaRT is using a library which is using an unreliable protocol (RCon) which is based on an even more unreliable protocol (UDP) together with a pretty crappy server software - problems are pretty much expected to happen.

I am pretty much done with DayZ due to lack of time and support for server hosters which is why development is going alot slower now.

I have to disagree with you on some parts, yes there are some problems with the library you are using but most of the issues you are see is due to poor coding within DaRT.

Edit: Also if the library was so bad, why did you not create your own which would have been more stable?

Edited by cortez

I need to go through my player lists on my servers.  What is the best program to use to open the DaRT database files so I can see all of the player names, GUID's and such?

I have to disagree with you on some parts, yes there are some problems with the library you are using but most of the issues you are see is due to poor coding within DaRT.

Edit: Also if the library was so bad, why did you not create your own which would have been more stable?

If you have so much knowledge about his poor coding, why don't you code up a new solution yourself?

If you have so much knowledge about his poor coding, why don't you code up a new solution yourself?

Me and a friend already have, but thanks for your input.

Arma 2 Thread

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?150547-EPM-RCon-Tool-%28Beta%29-Changelog-and-Information/page5&s=6dc7efd8ef030bc3d839e0d8a992f973

Arma 3 Thread

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?160118-EPM-RCon-Tool-%28Beta%29-Changelog-and-Information

Forums Links

http://www.epm-gaming.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=cat&id=1

Im sure my input is not need with our rcon having 8.1k downloads from our forums and armaholics website. Our rcon was never plagued with issues that dart had with banning users and such.

Edit: Our rcon must be semi decent if the community manager of BI uses our rcon to manage his server, which allows us to get feed back on our tool and correct issues that arise, as our goal is to make a good and stable rcon tool for players to use.

Edited by cortez
  • Like 1

Haven't read through much of the thread, but if you need it translated to Norwegian I'll gladly do it.

Me and a friend already have, but thanks for your input.

Arma 2 Thread

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?150547-EPM-RCon-Tool-%28Beta%29-Changelog-and-Information/page5&s=6dc7efd8ef030bc3d839e0d8a992f973

Arma 3 Thread

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?160118-EPM-RCon-Tool-%28Beta%29-Changelog-and-Information

Forums Links

http://www.epm-gaming.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=cat&id=1

Im sure my input is not need with our rcon having 8.1k downloads from our forums and armaholics website. Our rcon was never plagued with issues that dart had with banning users and such.

Edit: Our rcon must be semi decent if the community manager of BI uses our rcon to manage his server, which allows us to get feed back on our tool and correct issues that arise, as our goal is to make a good and stable rcon tool for players to use.

Nice tool. Shame I don't need an RCon solution at the moment or I would've given it a go. I've not had any trouble banning users with DaRT when I used it but I probably got lucky. I did have some funky connection problems from time to time that had me restart my PC. As far as your goals go, I'm pretty sure DomiStyle had the same vision but sometimes there's only so much time to do things.

I'm not impressed by the fact a community manager of BI uses your RCon which you say allows you to get feedback. The 8.1K downloads you mention seem more likely to generate the actual feedback for you.

If you're interested in helping out, dive into the source when it's released and tell DomiStyle where you think he went wrong.

I need to go through my player lists on my servers.  What is the best program to use to open the DaRT database files so I can see all of the player names, GUID's and such?

I don't suppose after you guys get done with your pissing match that someone could try to help me out?  I would super appreciate it!

I don't suppose after you guys get done with your pissing match that someone could try to help me out?  I would super appreciate it!

I don't have DaRT anymore so I can't check but do you know the extension / format of the database file?

DaRT uses a standard SQLite database.

You can open the database with any program that can open SQLite files, I use Navicat.

• Like 1

@DomiSyle

Any reason why BitDefender would flag up your download like as malware?

The page it is hosted on got flagged by BitDefender about a year ago for whatever reason they have.

They didn't respond to my mails I sent them back then.

Everyone except BitDefender has no problem:

https://www.virustotal.com/de/url/2e1bda9cf1a5e175070b780aa070687392f876a1632d3c074320a7235f04d0e4/analysis/1388463814/

When I try to use the new sync database I get this error. I'm running a NoCD server, could that be it?

[2014-01-05 | 13:39:58]  Starting player database sync...

[2014-01-05 | 13:39:58]  Please do not close DaRT during the process.

[2014-01-05 | 13:39:58]  Creating a backup of the existing database...

[2014-01-05 | 13:39:58]  Reading database...

[2014-01-05 | 13:39:58]  Wiping database...

[2014-01-05 | 13:39:58]  Contacting master server...

[2014-01-05 | 13:39:59]  Syncing 37 players from database...

[2014-01-05 | 13:40:00]  Something went wrong.

[2014-01-05 | 13:40:00]  Restoring backup...

[2014-01-05 | 13:40:00]  Please try again later.

Is there a possibillity to get knowledge about certain reasons for the bans on DartBans?

For example for this GUID: 0e8294e69d8ed54953917837711fa62a

Today I tried your banlist and the player with the GUID was playing on our server. The problem is, that he is a very unsuspicious player. And he told me that he wasn't banned ever on any server and doesn't know why he is banned by DartBans. I unbanned him now till we know more...

Thanks a lot,

HunterZ

Bans don't seem to work. Bans page remains blank even when I banned a player for running AntiAntihack on my server. 

Getting this at login:

[2014-01-08 | 12:28:38]  This server is not running BRS or the server configuration is faulty!
[2014-01-08 | 12:28:38]  Ban request timed out! (Critical error)
[2014-01-08 | 12:30:20]  Starting player database sync...
[2014-01-08 | 12:30:20]  Please do not close DaRT during the process.
[2014-01-08 | 12:30:20]  Creating a backup of the existing database...
[2014-01-08 | 12:30:20]  Reading database...
[2014-01-08 | 12:30:20]  Wiping database...
[2014-01-08 | 12:30:20]  Contacting master server...
[2014-01-08 | 12:30:21]  Syncing 4 players from database...
[2014-01-08 | 12:30:22]  Something went wrong.
[2014-01-08 | 12:30:22]  Restoring backup...
[2014-01-08 | 12:30:22]  Please try again later.

I tried the BRS.exe as suggested earlier in this thread but no luck with that either. It just sits there saying "Waiting".

Bans don't seem to work. Bans page remains blank even when I banned a player for running AntiAntihack on my server. 

Getting this at login:

I tried the BRS.exe as suggested earlier in this thread but no luck with that either. It just sits there saying "Waiting".

BRS.exe has to be running on the Server itself, in the BattlEye directory. Not on your personal computer.