rocket

Disconnecting to avoid death

The result isn't the same for bandits who are out to kill players for their gear. You deny them their rightful gear, their rightful victory, by disconnecting. The equivalent in sports would be the other team beating you but getting no league points for it because you walked out of the field before the time was up.

All I could say to those bandits is: ooohh, poor carebear bandit, tried to kill someone but they disconnected. Go play COD instead you pansy.

Either we agree that the general rule is "no rules" and everything goes (which is the reason I like DayZ so much) and any regulations are done server-side, or we start imposing artificial rules in a world that is, by definition, lawless.

Server-side regulation is exactly what we're lobbying for here. Also:

Disconnecting to avoid death IS an exploit.

This needs to be fixed - as implementing a 30 minute timer after killing a player until your player character can disappear and connect to another server.

* [NEW] Player body exists for five seconds after disconnect

It's a start.

Well, i hope this will be enough. Let those quitters taste it!

I don't think it will be enough for many scenarios, but it's certainly better than nothing.

My thoughts exactly. It'll at least stop them from doing it in some scenarios. Thinking about it, at least 1/3 of the people disconnecting on me would have been fucked by this change.

All I could say to those bandits is: ooohh' date=' poor carebear bandit, tried to kill someone but they disconnected. Go play COD instead you pansy.

Either we agree that the general rule is "no rules" and everything goes (which is the reason I like DayZ so much) and any regulations are done server-side, or we start imposing artificial rules in a world that is, by definition, lawless.

[/quote']

The "no rules" thing only applies to the game world itself, not the logging in and out part. It's realistic for a survivor to behave in any way that he wants, it isn't realistic for him to vanish into thin air under fire.

What if the game didnt disconnect you instantly' date=' it left you in the game world for 30s once you disconnect.

That way if your trying to avoid trouble, your still on the server for 30s not moving, a very harsh punishment for those who abuse it.

But harsh i guess for those that legitimately disconnect or crash.

[/quote']

It may be harsh but I think it's a better solution than the officially proposed solution. Most people who log off to avoid death probably don't do it often enough to throw a up a flag on the server logs. They just move on to a different server that is safe and probably don't log off again for awhile.

There are a lot more legitimate reasons to log off than exploit reasons; server lag/crash, friends not being able to join, finding a server with 0 zombies, memory leaks causing low FPS, Steam overlay bugs, etc

It's a start.

Well' date=' i hope this will be enough. Let those quitters taste it!

[/quote']

Admittedly, I was KIND OF hoping for a system where you didn't lose control of your character. Games like Dark Age of Camelot are a shining example of stopping the DC issue, by having the command be a /quit instead of just an Exit button. The server then waits 30 seconds where, if you don't move, it kicks you out.

It's a start.

Well' date=' i hope this will be enough. Let those quitters taste it!

[/quote']

Admittedly, I was KIND OF hoping for a system where you didn't lose control of your character. Games like Dark Age of Camelot are a shining example of stopping the DC issue, by having the command be a /quit instead of just an Exit button. The server then waits 30 seconds where, if you don't move, it kicks you out.

This is what we've been suggesting for a week or two.

Im tired of this fucking guys that disconnect all the time avoiding death... come on... wtf is that...

I haven't read all 27 pages of this topic, but:

What's wrong with just making it so people can't log out within 30 seconds of taking damage or taking any action? (Action, here, implies shooting, going prone, picking something up, nomming some beans, etc.)

And if that's not enough, cause the body to persist for another 15-30 seconds after they disconnect on top of it.

I haven't read all 27 pages of this topic' date=' but:

What's wrong with just making it so people can't log out within 30 seconds of taking damage or taking any action? (Action, here, implies shooting, going prone, picking something up, nomming some beans, etc.)

And if that's not enough, cause the body to persist for another 15-30 seconds after they disconnect on top of it.

[/quote']

this doesnt cover the issue, players who d/c dont usually go to menu and abort out.

They simply ALT+F4 to kill the process. You cant make that take 30 seconds. Hence why it has to be the body persisting after you leave the server/alt+f4.

I haven't read all 27 pages of this topic' date=' but:

[/quote']

Eve-Online has a system sort of like this that works pretty well. If you've had an aggressive act (either you shooting someone or them shooting you), you remain in space for 15 minutes after logging off.

15 minutes is probably too long for DayZ, but the basic idea would probably work quite well.

incredible. I ve been telling ppl for a long fucking time that disconnect issue is basicaly zed problem cos the nature of zeds. they r overpowered in every possible way. i mean i dont know what is the way of developing this mod but sure it shouldn t be in annoying way. i repeat i NEVER disconnected in pvp. NEVER. ok? NEVER. but man zeds are made stupid as shit.

1. if you are chased by more than one overspeeded overpowered zed you have no chance to run away or shoot it cos while you stop they r near you and glitched animation makes impossible to shoot them while they eat you alive

2. they spawn through walls and through floors(today i disconnected cos zed teleported from ground floor to 3 rd floor in building i i hided and knocked me out, i also had experiences when they spawned on roof while you overlook surrounding area which is stupid)

3. why the fuck noone reads this threads? i see ppl come and write only yes do that it need to be done but noone checked posts saying issues on pages before. very rare to see objective speakers on thread. i have a feeling this is becoming COD community with no questions meant to be asked. just blind way of saying your whishes and that it.

I hope rocket wont listen majority cos majority of this mod players even dont know what arma is. i spent time arguing idiots claiming arma is piece of shit and dayz is better game although dayz is just a mod of arma. i mean basic fact knowledge would help in making statements here.

Honestly' date=' I feel like any restriction on how you log out that allows you to die after you want to leave is unfair to the player. If there is an emergency? Oh well, I guess all your progress is lost as a zombie could just stumble over you and agro. Internet Drops? Oh well I guess that entire town you were sneaking through/horde you were figting off can aggro onto and kill you because of something you cant control. If I want to join a server with a few friends and the server I'm in is full? Hold on X, I'll be there in 5 minutes while I find some place to log off, sit down for 30 seconds anywhere to a minute completely vunerable (in some of the damn foolish suggestions) to anyone and everything.

Does it break the game that you can log out and avoid consequences? No. Why? Because it is a game, and that stuff can happen. Can I also prevent a loss on any other console or PC game (Non-mmo's) by logging off the game (varius things like dashboarding on 360/PS3, Alt+F4, etc, etc.) or even on a board game by flipping a board? Of course, because it's not real life. Is it unfair and unrealistic that the zombies that run can make 90 turns while losing no momentum whatsoever making it nearly impossible to shoot one running towards you because of it's mad Jukes? Yes.

MMO's log out mechanics should not even apply to the discussion here, because no MMO with a timer doesn't have "Safe Zones" abundantly scattered around a huge environment or that has ways of getting to them quickly. Eve? Space Stations. WoW? Towns that have guards that will attack people PVP'ing inside them and a low timer anyway that prevents anyone the player hasn't seen before they start the time from attacking them. Secondly, no MMO like that has Perma-Death on all of your equipment. Eve? Yeah you loose your ship but you still have all your other ships and equipment you worked hard for. WoW? You take durability damage. boo hoo.

In the end, you have to realize it's just a game. Don't talk about that anti-game BS either because what you're playing it on is a video simulation, also known as a Video game. Is it a pretty realistic game? Sure. However you should not have the possibility to be punished for leaving anytime you want on a game were the consequence is perma-death.

The only log out mechanic I would support is that it uses a system to where if you get disconnected your hunger and such still goes down but if you take the time to set up a sleeping bag ~5-7 seconds, then you can log out instantly in that and not loose food or water until you next log on.

[/quote']

i apologise. first normal post on this thread. +1

Durr, you're the kind of person who thinks it's okay to cheat when playing vs the CPU by what I'm reading.

What we're saying is: no, it ain't okay. We all had those zombies running after us. You would be surprised that you can actually kill a horde of 5 zombies or so without being hit by simply turning, shooting, keep running, turn, shoot, keep running.

Not to mention using the terrain to your advantage (interiors, ladders, terrain height)

Durr, you're the kind of person who thinks it's okay to cheat when playing vs the CPU by what I'm reading.

What we're saying is: no, it ain't okay. We all had those zombies running after us. You would be surprised that you can actually kill a horde of 5 zombies or so without being hit by simply turning, shooting, keep running, turn, shoot, keep running.

Not to mention using the terrain to your advantage (interiors, ladders, terrain height)

durr your kind of an idiot man. i mean why the fuck we dont implement sytem that kills your carachter when you go sleep and disconnect. i think it is cheating that you go sleep and your carachter is in some special vacuum space and when you come tomorow you just take it and continue playing. you cant play 24/7? your not a survivor than. you want your carachter magicaly saved while you have some RL duties? than you are cheater. that is your logic. i mean if you even have one grain of logic left in that air free space between your ears.

you little bitch can join anytime you want any kind of arma game or mod i will wipe floor with you. i ve been playing this shit since ofp and dont call me a cheater cos you simply lack some brain functions.

cant beleive but it is true that making games massive attracts idiots. gauss curve learn us on iq distribution. it is so fucking true.

Haha, you think zeds are "overpowered in every possible way"?

Wow. You're entitled to your opinion of course, but pretty much everyone else has been saying that they're not a threat anymore because people know how they behave...

Haha' date=' you think zeds are "overpowered in every possible way"?

Wow. You're entitled to your opinion of course, but pretty much everyone else has been saying that they're not a threat anymore because people know how they behave...

[/quote']

walking through walls and glitching on 3rd floor isnt overpowered? radar in head making you hiding isn t overpowered? zig zag trajectory unable to shoot him? r you fucking serious?

pretty much everyone in germany said hitler is great guy in ww2. that means what?

pretty much everyone beleive tv manipulation. that means what?

i get diarea when somebody makes his opinion based on pretty much majority one.

when i dont kill somebody cos he disconnects that means one thing. i missed his head. everything else is bitching. so we can make this game call of duty mod.

i would like to make your carachters die when you disconn to go sleep. that is fair. i mean you are sleeping and your carachter is staying alive? that is cheating. i respect only real hardcore players playing 24/7 365 days. shitting in dipers and not even standing up to go to wc. reality kings. want something real? take fucking ak and go to war.

I think 30s would be enough time to keep a character in game, but only if they have received damage or fired a weapon in the last 10s

This avoids people having the misfortune who disconnect randomly or when they think they're safe and someone chances upon their logged out location.

Nothing will be perfect for everyone, but I welcome an improvement over the current mechanics

Haha' date=' you think zeds are "overpowered in every possible way"?

[/quote']

walking through walls and glitching on 3rd floor isnt overpowered? radar in head making you hiding isn t overpowered? zig zag trajectory unable to shoot him? r you fucking serious?

Yes, I'm serious. Zombies are currently underpowered and not a threat. Hopefully 1.7.1 will make them more difficult.

Zombies aren't "underpowered", they are just ridiculos: they cannot see you when they should, but they can unnaturally run at crazy speed with crazy acceleration. Luckily they are fixing it progressively, they started to fix the damage trought the wall and the LOS, then they should think about their speed and acceleration.

Actually they are underpowered when they don't see you, but OP when they are in aggro mode (unless you want to handle any problem with the bullets..).