rocket

Disconnecting to avoid death

So' date=' in the many suggests I've read, would there be any distinction between avoiding death and the computer crashing?

I had a sudden rash of 3 game crashes yesterday for some reason, memory or something in the beta. I wouldn't want some crazy harsh system that would destroy me every time it happens.

BUT, as it did happen I didn't come back in the same condition. One time I came back with 2500 less blood that I had recovered 30 minutes ago, or maybe it just took the blood for fun I don't know, but DCing by accident, especially in the alphs/beta stage of developing shouldn't be a pentalty.

[/quote']

If the computer crash, I thought the Server does a save ever so many seconds.

If they have a delay cool down type of system where you click Dc and then there is a wait/ hourglass for # of seconds before you are actually DC from the game server. Then the code should be able to do a check if this state/ cool down actually occurred.

If DC cooldown state occurred/finished then - True for Reg DC

If the result is False - there was no DC cooldown state occurred/finished- Then Game crash = True.

This type of cooldown would in theory resolve that issue if your game crashes.

Of course this is Alpha so even if a system like this was placed in there is always a chance of you coming back with less blood due to bugs.

This happened to me today. My friend and I were camped near a Fuel Depot outside Solichniy, where we heard someone fuelling up cars.

We dropped shots in 2 guys, who both were bleeding (one guy did the 'falling' emote) when their bodies just vanished.

Nothing in this game makes me angry, beside people being cheap and DCing.

This happened to me today. My friend and I were camped near a Fuel Depot outside Solichniy' date=' where we heard someone fuelling up cars.

We dropped shots in 2 guys, who both were bleeding (one guy did the 'falling' emote) when their bodies just vanished.

[/quote']

I'm amazed at how quickly people are able to disconnect when shot. I'm also wondering how people even Alt+F4. I've not tried it yet, but a couple of my buddies both told me how they tried it once to lose zombie aggro a few beta versions ago, and all it did was minimize the game. We actually thought that they finally fixed that little exploit.

This happened to me today. My friend and I were camped near a Fuel Depot outside Solichniy' date=' where we heard someone fuelling up cars.

[/quote']

I'm amazed at how quickly people are able to disconnect when shot. I'm also wondering how people even Alt+F4. I've not tried it yet, but a couple of my buddies both told me how they tried it once to lose zombie aggro a few beta versions ago, and all it did was minimize the game. We actually thought that they finally fixed that little exploit.

if alt+f4 is your in-built reaction to being shot or in danger its pretty easy to hit.

I don't think it has been suggested, but I think a possible solution is to consider players who disconnect within a certain time period after taking damage the same as being killed.

I've played other games that had implemented this solution to deter disconnect exploits and it works quite well.

I just want them to die! not Disappear and then rejoin behind me >___>

it would be better if there were a 10 second countdown before you disconnect... like you click disconnect and your character is still in the world, but freezes where he is snd it counts down from 10 before it disconnects. i think that would be more interesting because it would also make us find a safe place to "sleep" (disconnect)

Or take it one step further - he not only freezes for 10 secs, but in direct chat he announces "Sleeping in 10, 9, 8 etc secs".

This happened to me today. My friend and I were camped near a Fuel Depot outside Solichniy' date=' where we heard someone fuelling ....

[/quote']

if alt+f4 is your in-built reaction to being shot or in danger its pretty easy to hit.

Why is Alt+f4 present?

Could it be disabled?

If they wanna disconnect to avoid death, let them. They'll just learn pvp the hard way when its put to a delay to dc from the server...

If they wanna disconnect to avoid death' date=' let them. They'll just learn pvp the hard way when its put to a delay to dc from the server...

[/quote']

No. If you shoot someone once and go for the final blow and they disappear it makes the game fucking suck.

Its still not working in 1.7.1.2 btw

I shot a guy crawling with a DMR, he paused when it hit his torso, took a second shot and hit him and immediatly after he vanished. No murder for me, no body around. Player disconnected.

Thats not fun and its not PVP.

I'd be careful about banning people to prevent accidental punishment of the innocent (unless it's obvious they were just evading) and just wait for the patch that claims it will stop all of this.

Why is Alt+f4 present?

Could it be disabled?

It's a Windows function to end a process/application, you can't disable it.

Why is Alt+f4 present?

Could it be disabled?

It's a Windows function to end a process/application' date=' you can't disable it.

[/quote']

For some reason it does not work for me. Not that it matters, but it is weird. I'm using Win7.

It can be disabled by application developers. But it hardly takes longer to just abort normally.

If Alt+f4 was disabled then players would need to do click abort which then can put you in the DC cooldown /hourglass event for # of seconds. At the end it would actually disconnect you when it's complete.

Why is Alt+f4 present?

Could it be disabled?

It's a Windows function to end a process/application' date=' you can't disable it.

[/quote']

it can be disabled. we had same problem with disco's in another game & the dev's disabled the ALT+F4 so it can be done.

Does anyone else have the issue of not getting kills these days?

I am pretty sure i killed two guys lately, but i didn't get any murder. One was a close hit with CZ550 (<50 meters) and the other one should have been dead aswell after some AKM hits.

Do you get the kill if they disconnect and then reconnect some other time just to die from shock an bleeding?

By the way, when people say they think that they just disconnect to prevent you from looting them, that's half of the story. When they connect to the other server and die, they will simply attempt to run and pick their own loot again. That's probably the real reason.

When you die you shouldn't be able at all to retrieve your own gear. This should be true when you do the disconnect trick, but any other cases as well.

In fact when you play in team you're noway "scared" to die, since you know that your mates will protect your gear until you retrieve it back.

You take any risk since you know that the worse thing that may happens is that you need to run for 5-15 minutes, from the respawn point to your mates.

Unfortunately this isn't a easy fix, since you cannot identify if the gear is returned to the player or not (not with the current engine).. in example a friend of yours can just keep it into his backup and then pass it back to you, to avoid any timeout or the first owner identifier.

Yeah, I'm thinking that ALT+F4 is disabled already. Doesn't seem to work at all...

Is this the thread to report people disconnecting to avoid death? over the past few days i have encountered an awful lot of people doing it when i'm fighting them and it's really pissing me off. The problem is, as far as I know, there's no way for me to prove who did it, as while i have been writing down the names of the offending players, i have no evidence and therefore the dev/admin/whatever would only have my word to go on.

Oh well, hopefully the 5 second delay that was brought in but broken will be re-implemented at some point, or something similar.

Rocket, can you confirm if we can ban people from servers for disconnecting to avoid dying?

Rocket' date=' can you confirm if we can ban people from servers for disconnecting to avoid dying?

[/quote']

since there is no way to prove that someone stopped playing the game just to avoid dying ingame you're actually asking for permission to ban anyone at your leisure.

I'm not, I'm against it, there's a server admin in the server section saying that until Rocket tells him personally to stop, he's going to continue doing it. Despite Rocket already saying 'you may only ban someone for malicious talk or racism' he's decided it doesn't apply to him until Rocket speaks to him directly. Apparently he's above being addressed at the same time as everybody else.

If this is the case, I'm trying to get clarification.