KetchupOnTheDog

Hackers, and the state of the standalone game?

I've been reading around and it seems if a server has deployed the latest anti hack measures (official and not - I believe there is a 3rd party tool used to block certain commands now), then it seems rampant hacking has been toned down a little bit? It will take a while for most server admins to catch up and I expect counters, but perhaps things are improving for the better even without standalone. I always thought it would be possible to simply block certain remote commands, but it would take a little bit of working around as only DayZ would implement it, and hopefully this is the case.

Got introduced to this game by a friend, saw a couple (early) vids on YT and decided to buy Arma. Played for a while but in the last 3-4 days it seems there has been a noticable uptick in cheaters.

I'm done with DayZ. I MIGHT try Lingor and get a week or so until the cheaters find that as well.

To the poster who said the complainers are a vocal minority, how do you think the devs feel about the likely hundreds/thousands of players who paid good money, got sick of the cheating and just left without going through the trouble of coming here, signing up a new acct and posting? I know I'll never spend another dime on this type of game. Too bad becasue the time I was playing, I LOVED the survival aspect of it. Even the pvp was fun until the cheaters began to predominate.

Hackers are becoming nice...

In the past few dayz, I've been cheered by hackers approaching me in a friendly way. I know, it's weird right?

And it wasn't just a handfull. It happended several times in several diferent servers.

It happened more times when I was alone and undergeared rather then when I'm with a gang. The hacker teleports to my position, I say whatever...he says "friendly!", scares me a little bit with his big a§§ sniper rifle. makes sure I'm unarmed, and out of nowhere he spawns a few ammo crates right next to me. He starts rearming himself, I get behind him and crack his skull with an hatchet. :D I guess he doesn't have godmode on!!...He comes back just seconds later, but I stay in as I have nothing to lose besides my position in the map up north. I keep waiting for the worse, but I get surprised again. He comes again baring gifts for the poor and undergeared. What's wrong with this picture?? It a shame I play in servers with no name tags, and wasn't able to identify them.

Should I swallow my pride and take stuff he offers me, or should I just keep killing him until he quits on me?

Why are hackers being nice to us? I demand my good old nasty hackers back! Is it the infection?

I'll leave you to it...

Edited by Markus Letifer

Why are hackers being nice to us? I demand my good old nasty hackers back! Is it the infection?

The reason, I suspect, is because all the decent guys are getting fucking fed up of cheaters and have decided to join the club. I know a couple that have.

This thread depresses the hell out of me.

We're finally given a game that breaks all the rules established through the domination of on-rails, hand holding FPS games and theme park mmos .... a game with reall penalties, which provokes intense ractions .... and people immediately find ways to take the challenge out of it.

But on the other hand .... standalone should take care of a lot of the abuses. It's almost like we're slipping through a door to happy land before it closes.

• Like 1

Best way to avoid hackers. Go on low populated servers. Hackers never go on those.

That is a lie I deal with hackers almost 3 times a day on a server that mostly stays around like 10-15 players.

Latest hacking rage.

It's one to five people, and all they do is server hop, and do the following.

>Log in

>Run hack script

>Text appears on ALL players screens " ONE OF THESE DAYS ALICE, BAM POW, RIGHT TO THE MOON "

> ALL players in server are Teleported into the sky, to fall to thier deaths.

>Hacker leaves miliseconds after running the script, heading to the next server.

>Hacker is not in the server for more than 15 seconds, making him BE Untouchable almost.

And they are doing it on 30-50 players servers, and even the low ones with 10-15 people in them now. It's getting REALLY annoying. It nearly makes the mod itself unplayable when it comes to large scale player based servers. Someone needs to get a handle on this.

All you can do is to hit Alt+F4 if you get teleported. No reason to fight back.

Except alt-f4 doesn't work for everyone :). It doesn't work in my game. Maybe because I'm on XP? When a hacker teleports me etc I actually hit my reset button on my pc as its much faster lol

Latest hacking rage.

It's one to five people, and all they do is server hop, and do the following.

>Log in

>Run hack script

>Text appears on ALL players screens " ONE OF THESE DAYS ALICE, BAM POW, RIGHT TO THE MOON "

> ALL players in server are Teleported into the sky, to fall to thier deaths.

>Hacker leaves miliseconds after running the script, heading to the next server.

>Hacker is not in the server for more than 15 seconds, making him BE Untouchable almost.

And they are doing it on 30-50 players servers, and even the low ones with 10-15 people in them now. It's getting REALLY annoying. It nearly makes the mod itself unplayable when it comes to large scale player based servers. Someone needs to get a handle on this.

Errrrrrrr 15 seconds or 15 milliseconds....makes no difference. Detected, GUID and all that should be instantly grabbed by BE. There's no logical reason to it taking any more than the blink of an eye, but you'd know that if you understood the digital world a little better.

I don't know what the problem with the system is, it's certainly not the above, it's obviously the amount of hackers, and the fact that their scripts may not be detectable, but they themselves, along with everyone ever on any server is checked through BE, so it's obviously the detection where the problem lies. I've been seeing the new messages popping up like "currently 11,000plyers have been globally banned" and "new additions " or something to that effect have been appearing on our screens, so that tells me they ARE trying their best to deal with the issue, but is their best good enough? I don't know, but right now it is true, you're more likely to be killed by a hack than a legitimate PvP kill

Just had my first sky diving, courtesy of hackers, experience

Server was UK 222, time was about 5 minutes ago, so 2150 GMT.

I had to Ctrl+Alt+Del in the clouds. What happens when I log back in tomorrow?

Also, I had major issues with my tent about 10 minutes before. Was putting items in my empty tent, and I lost my compass, M4A1, a box of matches and binoculars. Could they have had anything to do with this or is it just a bug?

*edit - Server had about 25 people in

Edited by Hobnobskid

A lot of these posts popping up and I thought I'd join one already rolling. It is sad to me to see so many people's responses. "I have played 400 total hours and no hacker yet". This statement is a lot like saying "It's cold outside today so global warming isnt real!". Your personal anecdotal piece of evidence means nothing. The same could be said for the person complaining. There are some real legitimate problems with the game. As one person stated in a thread the mechanics of the game are heavily focused on gear gathering and survival. Both of these are majorly screwed with by the pressence of hacks, exploits, glitches like the coast spawning or the still persistant artifacts that cover the entire screen at key areas of the map, as well as the unreliablity of servers in general. All of these act against the intended play of the mod, to varying degrees, and should be addressed as problems.

Hacks are a problem right now, I don't even need evidence I know it. They seem to become a problem in waves, or rather the problem goes away in short waves of a few days of hack free play until the hackers figure out a new method and we get a week or two of mass hacking.

The sad thing to do is to cultivate an enviroment where the community stops bitching at Rocket about it. We should bitch until something is done, or else he should take down that 1,000,000 players banner above the website now as apparently there is no responsibility felt to give those players the intended experience. When I see people posting that this isn't a problem it is alittle sad, you do it to the detriment of the game. And mods on the forums I've noticed have been disgusting about the topic. "I played for 2 hours was fun I declare the game playable and thread locked". Completely ignoring the issue, treating it as a non-issue. This is the price we'll pay for hand holding developement of this game instead of standing up for the fact that you can't hide behind the "alpha" label as minecraft did with "beta" when you have a million individuals playing. You have a responsibility to deliever them, to the best of your ability, a playable mod.

Many of those saying it is currently playable likely play the game at a low level (feel free to get offended). To those players who form serious groups, live in the north, start camps with vehicles and gear and try to hide and defend them, the mod is unplayable. Those aspects of it are stripped away by constant teleportation, global kill, and spawn glitches. This area of the game already suffers heavily from the fact that most servers are unreliable and go down for days at a time, some never to come back online again with no warning. You can build a base on a server that seems fine just to have it all disappear. There is no way to check these servers without getting to personally know the admins, there are no dedicated servers hosted by the dayz team, its a completely unreliable system and really hurts the motivation to even build a base.

The answer to go onto a low pop server is crap, as that strips the pvp element right out of the game. 2 people online im so scared to move around the map....lets get real, if thats your solution, there is a problem.

All of this becomes even greater because it is piled on top of the already huge problem that exists in dayz - altf4 and combat loggers. So lets just all stop pretending the game isnt broken. Yes the game is broken. Yes we should be mad. Yes we should bitch. Yes, they should fix it.

And if you havent experienced these problems then wtf are you even doing in this thread? Go play your hack free dayz, and let the people for whom the game has been ruined stay here and complain for the playable mod that we paid for. Plz dont give me that "it's free" bs, Rocket & Bohemia know full well most people buying arma nowadays is for this mod. Can we stop hiding behind the "its free" and "alpha mod" labels that you slap on there to escape credibility please? Ty

Edited by GordonRamsay
  • Like 7

I agree totally agree, this problem has grown extremely fast over the past few months. Thats why I now only pla

I agree totally agree, this problem has grown extremely fast over the past few months. Thats why I now only play on Lingor Island now. It's a new beautiful landscape with massive cities and it's hacker free. :D

This is very annoying. It's so bad that my friends and I are taking a long break from DayZ, even though we love this mod to death, until the stand alone or at least until something can be done about it.

• Like 1

I'm done with DayZ, and as I have zero faith in Rocket's ability to effectively address security issues, I won't be returning for the standalone. Developers seem incapable not only of stopping the hacks, but engaging with the community in any way to reassure us that there is some solution on the horizon. This has been a waste of time and money.

• Like 1

I wouldnt still be playing DayZ if i had not moved to a server with a private hive and passworded.

The hackers kill this game, sooooo hard.

Now i play without worry if the person infront of me is a hacker or not, and if i die, i know i died legit.

This has made me want to play dayz again.

Also no more ALT+F4 as they cant join another server to save themself.

Scrap the hive system until standalone. Thats my advice to rocket.

• Like 1

Yup, the hive system is broken as broken gets. Hackers cannot be prevented. There is a reason that the number of players per day in DayZ is declining every day as a percentage of the total players, and the player count has started to plateau. My own group of friends hasn't played on hive servers in almost a month now.

There's a simple solution. I hope the dev team wakes up to it before it is too late for DayZ. The people who have played DayZ already are most of the same people who will buy standalone. The state of the brand is in jeopardy. Those of you dismissive of the hacker problems or chalking it up to an alpha are ignorant of the underlying problems with DayZ's design model.

• Like 1

Hackers are destroying this beautifull game!! And The developers are letting hackers to give à free pass! Why cant we make à private server ? And also people who do not hack picking up à hacked weapon are getting global banned wtf this is insane !! Please fix this ASAP its taking too long !!

• Like 1

I don't care about artifacts. They're understandable.

I don't care about item duping. I can deal with it.

I don't care if my L85 just vanished in transit from my backpack to my tent. I'll go and find another.

I don't care if I fell off one step and unjustly broke my leg and have to crawl 3km to a hospital, just so I can get some morphine. I might even enjoy it.

I certainly don't give a flying fuck about campers, people picking off new spawns and one shot kill sniper rifles. I encourage it, I will overcome it and I will find the culprates.

What I can't stand, or even understand, is Hackers. I don't want to rage, but seriously, how can anybody help this mod progress if we can't even play a stably bugged game. A game where we all over come the same bugs and glitches together? Somewhere with a bit of consistency.

Something needs doing about it, it goes without saying, but seriously Rocket et Team, just let us know exactly what you're doing about it. Tell us something, anything, even if it's the worst news we'd ever want to hear about the situation. Just tell us everything is fucked. Then I'll be happy. This is your community right here, you created it, so don't forget about it

• Like 1

Im essentially done with this game now. after having gotten a good amount of gear, and surviving close to 18 days I spawn into a new server closer to where I live so the time will work better only to be killed immediately upon entry by someone who just happened to be in my same location (middle of fucking nowhere) on a server with only 3 people on it. yeah right.

the sad fact is, the group developing this wont do anything about it

Im essentially done with this game now. after having gotten a good amount of gear, and surviving close to 18 days I spawn into a new server closer to where I live so the time will work better only to be killed immediately upon entry by someone who just happened to be in my same location (middle of fucking nowhere) on a server with only 3 people on it. yeah right.

the sad fact is, the group developing this wont do anything about it

Sort of had the same thing happen to me. Logged out in the middle of the brush, no reason anyone else would be in that area, upon my screen loading, says "oh! has been killed". I then spawn in some open, desolate plain, with nothing, just my camo suit on. Lose connection to server, log back in, now on the coast, no camo suit, but nothing at all in my inv.

I dont care dying legit, but when fugaziness takes over, it's beyond irritating.

BTW, this was all done on a low pop server, 5 people total...so they get hit as well.

I've been playing on very low pop servers lately, no more than 10 people on the server. I was just in a server with 4 people, its nighttime, I'm in the bush. I get teleported to firestation roof, fall a couple feet break my legs.

You know the games awesome when hackers are even the most pathetically populated servers.

I don't care about artifacts. They're understandable.

I don't care about item duping. I can deal with it.

I don't care if my L85 just vanished in transit from my backpack to my tent. I'll go and find another.

I don't care if I fell off one step and unjustly broke my leg and have to crawl 3km to a hospital, just so I can get some morphine. I might even enjoy it.

I certainly don't give a flying fuck about campers, people picking off new spawns and one shot kill sniper rifles. I encourage it, I will overcome it and I will find the culprates.

What I can't stand, or even understand, is Hackers. I don't want to rage, but seriously, how can anybody help this mod progress if we can't even play a stably bugged game. A game where we all over come the same bugs and glitches together? Somewhere with a bit of consistency.

Something needs doing about it, it goes without saying, but seriously Rocket et Team, just let us know exactly what you're doing about it. Tell us something, anything, even if it's the worst news we'd ever want to hear about the situation. Just tell us everything is fucked. Then I'll be happy. This is your community right here, you created it, so don't forget about it

I LOL'ed. Is IT REALLY THAT HARD TO UNDERSTAND?! THIS IS A FREAKING MOD.

Arma is designed to run scripts, and BI won't disable that!!!! BE can't fight that, and the DayZ dev team can't do anything about it!!

When DayZ becomes standalone, they will disable scripts!!! Seriously, is it that hard to understand that?!!!!

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/55031-hackers-what-you-need-to-know/

• Like 2