KetchupOnTheDog

Hackers, and the state of the standalone game?

There are already alot of posts about this but i feel like i need to add myself into the crowd as this is the biggest problem present in the game so far. Ask yourself, why do you play Dayz? Any answer you give and any reason you play can be ruined by hackers. There is no point in scavenging, or doing anything in Dayz for that matter if you will just be killed by a hacker, which is almost guaranteed. Now i wouldn't be whining if this happened every once in awhile, but i i've logged onto 3 different characters in the past couple hours, all killed by hackers before i could get off the coast into the hills. This is a SERIOUS issue that needs to be corrected ASAP.

• Like 16

Best way to avoid hackers. Go on low populated servers. Hackers never go on those.

The next to last time I was killed by a hacker there were only 2 people on the server before the hacker logged in and killed us both.

If they think you're trying to avoid them it makes you that much more juicy of a target.

Edited by random51

The next to last time I was killed by a hacker there were only 2 people on the server before the hacker logged in and killed us both.

If they think you're trying to avoid them it makes you that much more juicy of a target.

Just ALT F4 :3

i totally agree. the community im with who play a number of games recently was given a dayz server kindly by rocket and his team.

only in the last 2 days, hackers... and i mean 10 hackers at a time spawn helicopters and all crash into cities.

then when people arrive on the scene, make it so the all fall unconscious and run up and kill with an axe.

if i was going to say what has to be changed, is rocket implement the plans he had posted in another topic to log everyone and to permi ban anyone using modded games.(know one needs to even touch the files, so ban them all) and this shall also stop server hoppers who constantly sit at barracks, fire stations and take all the good stuff. make it so its good to stay on one server, this way peeps wont server hop, hacker can be easily caught as it will be odd if there the only ones hoping around and then i can go a find some freakin beans in cherno!

from england, over and out

• Like 2

Hi. Am I the only one wondering about that stand alone project, when you can't play the alpha because of hackers ? I mean, it's everyday now. And I'm not talking about that cute and funny hacker that'll spawn some gear for his friends and himself and play the game, or the one that'll find vehicles with a radar.

No, I'm talking about server wide grenade launcher nuking, killing everyone almost instantly (plus their vehicle), server wide teleporting in the air without parachute, and so on.

Considering how long it takes to gather pieces to patch a chopper, how long it is to grab NV/L85 and so on, and how quick and often you'll get it wiped by a hacker, my question is: how the hell do you think you'll get a stand alone ?

I really don't think that game will continue its growth without a serious anti-hack system.

• Like 30

Hi. Am I the only one wondering about that stand alone project, when you can't play the alpha because of hackers ? I mean, it's everyday now. And I'm not talking about that cute and funny hacker that'll spawn some gear for his friends and himself and play the game, or the one that'll find vehicles with a radar.

No, I'm talking about server wide grenade launcher nuking, killing everyone almost instantly (plus their vehicle), server wide teleporting in the air without parachute, and so on.

Considering how long it takes to gather pieces to patch a chopper, how long it is to grab NV/L85 and so on, and how quick and often you'll get it wiped by a hacker, my question is: how the hell do you think you'll get a stand alone ?

I really don't think that game will continue its growth without a serious anti-hack system.

coupld you please try and read the 1000 other threads on this and post there? There are 100 a day of these and everyone wants to blah blah about it but no one wants to spend the time reading that just POSSIBLY, MAYBE, someone else has posted the same thing eons before you did. Hacking is clearly an issue however it is not affecting the core community, we will continue to stick with the game as it develops

• Like 8

New engine will have a lot to do with this. It is my understanding the reason it is hacked so frequently now is arma is a script based engine as it was developed with mostly a LAN setting in mind (correct me if I'm wrong) and new engine will go a long way to at least slowing hackers down. I feel your pain though as the server I play on has been hacked twice a day for two weeks.

• Like 4

Hi. Am I the only one wondering about that stand alone project, when you can't play the alpha because of hackers ?

Yes.... yes you are

• Like 7

whenever you consider starting any post with the phrase "am I the only one" this is the time to use the forum search feature.....

• Like 8

New engine will have a lot to do with this. It is my understanding the reason it is hacked so frequently now is arma is a script based engine as it was developed with mostly a LAN setting in mind (correct me if I'm wrong) and new engine will go a long way to at least slowing hackers down. I feel your pain though as the server I play on has been hacked twice a day for two weeks.

it's not so much the move to a new engine that will help but more the move from mod to stand-alone itself. DayZ mod IS a Hack, it's code bolted on top of something that already exists rather than living within it. For the mod to even work it needs certain permissions to run on the arma engine that can also be abused by those less scrupulous hence the ease of hacking.

Everyone that thinks blocking hackers is as easy as blocking the routes in don't understand that those same loopholes are what allow DayZ to run in the first place. As a stand-alone it will no longer need to adapt what's already in place instead it can rewrite the rules itself.

• Like 6

it's not so much the move to a new engine that will help but more the move from mod to stand-alone itself. DayZ mod IS a SCRIPT, it's code bolted on top of something that already exists rather than living within it. For the mod to even work it needs certain permissions to run on the arma engine that can also be abused by those less scrupulous hence the ease of Script-kiddie abuse.

Everyone that thinks blocking Script-kiddies is as easy as blocking the routes in don't understand that those same loopholes are what allow DayZ to run in the first place. As a stand-alone it will no longer need to adapt what's already in place instead it can rewrite the rules itself.

sorry but i felt offended :<

so i fixed some words if you don't mind

• Like 1

It's funny you post this on the day BattlEye seems to be banning thousands of people.

It's funny because that's the exact day our server is abused by some untouched hacker grenade launching people everywhere on Chernarus.

Point is that you used the verb "seem" for a reason: we actually have no idea about this, except what they're telling us and some script kiddies whining they got banned today.

it's not so much the move to a new engine that will help but more the move from mod to stand-alone itself. DayZ mod IS a Hack, it's code bolted on top of something that already exists rather than living within it. For the mod to even work it needs certain permissions to run on the arma engine that can also be abused by those less scrupulous hence the ease of hacking.

Everyone that thinks blocking hackers is as easy as blocking the routes in don't understand that those same loopholes are what allow DayZ to run in the first place. As a stand-alone it will no longer need to adapt what's already in place instead it can rewrite the rules itself.

Thank you both for you replies, I wasn't aware of some aspects you mentionned. Maybe then we can hope for something better for the stand alone.

It's funny because that's the exact day our server is abused by some untouched hacker grenade launching people everywhere on Chernarus.

Point is that you used the verb "seem" for a reason: we actually have no idea about this, except what they're telling us and some script kiddies whining they got banned today.

I saw a screenshot of the BattlEye message that said "over 10,000 cheaters" have been banned. There's in excess of a million ArmA2 CD keys that have been used to play this mod, the front page of this very site says that over 173,000 unique users played this mod in the last 24 hours alone.

So, like I said, BattlEye seems to be banning thousands of people. If you use your loaf, the fact there are still script kiddies in the game implies they didn't get all of them or that some of them are using scripts BattlEye is yet to squash.

• Like 3

I saw a screenshot of the BattlEye message that said "over 10,000 cheaters" have been banned. There's in excess of a million ArmA2 CD keys that have been used to play this mod, the front page of this very site says that over 173,000 unique users played this mod in the last 24 hours alone.

So, like I said, BattlEye seems to be banning thousands of people. If you use your loaf, the fact there are still script kiddies in the game implies they didn't get all of them or that some of them are using scripts BattlEye is yet to squash.

Its an ongoing effort that will never cease.

Good to see this..

Oh cool, another thread about hackers, posted in the General Discussion section, that doesn't report a specific hacking incident in the correct forum section. It must be because you're bringing a new issue you found in DayZ to our attention! It's always good to see someone who uses the search function first before posting.

/sarcasm

Oh cool, another thread about hackers, posted in the General Discussion section, that doesn't report a specific hacking incident in the correct forum section. It must be because you're bringing a new issue you found in DayZ to our attention! It's always good to see someone who uses the search function first before posting.

/sarcasm

Oh cool, another unfunny sarcasm post about a thread the author didn't want to read, but did anyway and chooses now to bitch about it.

How clever and original you are.

• Like 8

The game isn't unplayable due to hackers, its unplayable due to the graphics bugs.

• Like 5

It's funny you post this on the day BattlEye seems to be banning thousands of people.

Battleye isn't quite good enough yet to defeat most of the script hacks currently being used. I kept seeing the "Battleye Random Fact" lastnight, during which time there was a hacker spawning helicopters right in front of my group of friends and broadcasting Arnold's "Get To The Chopper!"

Battleye isn't quite good enough yet to defeat most of the script hacks currently being used. I kept seeing the "Battleye Random Fact" lastnight, during which time there was a hacker spawning helicopters right in front of my group of friends and broadcasting Arnold's "Get To The Chopper!"

I actually lol'd at the description of that script, I've not encountered that one before. Only the Thunderdome.

I did say though, in my last post that due to the sheer number of accounts assigned to this mod the number of players banned so far might just be falling short. It stands to reason with the figures involved.

It does, however, go to show that it's being worked on, and I can appreciate BattlEye for that even if their product doesn't impress me any more than the crappy PunkBuster does, so far at least.

Edited by Ulfhedjinn

The only thing hacking has made unusable is the forums because they're choked with repeat threads from an army of foaming-at-the-mouth lackwits who think the world owes them something.

• Like 7