Skurkanas

The problem with War Z's "features", and what Day Z should avoid

I've read a lot about War Z lately (or what little info there is), and they have been promising all kinds of supposedly shiny things, e.g.:

- Safe zones

- Trading (with real life money ofc because that's the latest MMO buzz - even after Diablo III)

- Quests

- Unique enemies (bosses)

Now I say: To hell with that. By applying standard MMO features to a game like Day Z, you will ruin everything that makes it unique.

What IS so fun about games like DayZ or Minecraft? They both started out fairly damn minimalistic. Just a basic gridwork of content, just enough to make it playable and allow for a basic set of actions. And here's what's important: Everything else is entirely up to you. Want to build and fly a helicopter? Go for it. Wanna find those NVG's? Hunt some Snipers. Just wanna survive? Best of luck mate! There are no NPC's telling you what quest to go on, there are no Traders spoon feeding you better equipment, and if you want a safe haven, you better damn build yourself one. Don't expect it to just be there guarded by arbitrarily unkillable NPC guards and fully automatic Turrets.

You set your own goals entirely. THAT is what makes DayZ great. And I really hope that the Devs will capitalize on that, rather than get caught up in yet another standard MMO turf war about who can spit out the most "content" to grind through in the least amount of time.

Give us more abilities to shape our own game (e.g. more stuff to build and collect, ways to fortificate cities and ways to raid and destroy said fortifications) but most importantly, stick to your guns. This lovably broken Alpha is popular for a reason, don't take that away because other's think that every damn MMO has to follow the same pathways

• Like 10

A safe zone would be nice, somewhere that you go to trade but its not actually safe by NPCS, so you can fire upon someone in the safe zone, it will be the players job to keep it "safe", such as not firing rounds unless being fired upon, not opening up and unloading a clip into there fuckin' chest, I know this isn't really possible as we have noobs running in with AKS 360 degrees no scoping everyone :P but it would be nice.

as i said in another post,warz is gonna be a rip off.it's gonna attract only failed DayZ players,the guys that dc right after you shoot them cause they dont want to die,the guys that just don't understand that running around with a sniper rifle doesn't make them bulletproof :P

many will check it just to see what it is,but few will stay,real dayz fans and gamers will just cry over their wasted money,while dayz noobs will finaly leave us alone

WarZ has basically tried to promise everything. It'll be interesting to watch the Day Z standalone trample all over it.

• Like 1

I agree completely, but i think you missed the main problem which is microtransactions. That must not be in the standalone version of DayZ in any way, i prefer simple donate button which anyone can use if they feel like it.

A safe zone would be nice, somewhere that you go to trade but its not actually safe by NPCS, so you can fire upon someone in the safe zone, it will be the players job to keep it "safe", such as not firing rounds unless being fired upon, not opening up and unloading a clip into there fuckin' chest, I know this isn't really possible as we have noobs running in with AKS 360 degrees no scoping everyone :P but it would be nice.

Maybe one day on friendly servers, the game will evolve to players themselves constructing safe zones for one another. We can only hope. I wouldn't mind going into a small town on a hill to find a fortified to hell safe area filled with generally nice people. Group up with some, go take out some bandits that have been giving the group trouble, bring back food for everyone.

Just seems everyone is too focused on mine mine mine now because you want to survive and you can't trust anyone.

• Like 1

I think it would be nice to have quests or bosses where you can get better gear from.

When i started i was kinda careful about zombies, but after 3 days they were no real danger anymore, you only run away into a building where weapons spawn and kill them, no crawling, not being careful, just running, at this point its pvp only, and this is totally okay - but what exactly is your motivation ?

Either get to the NW airfield for loot, or kill someone for their loot.

I think the wave of new players - who joined this game with - changed it, i would have liked just to meet someone, who i can run around with, now it seems like: shoot everyone with a gun on sight, and dont give a fuck about zombies because you can kill them with everything indoor ...

Its a great mod, but now it needs adjustments imo.

Edited by Proceed
  • Like 2

I think it would be nice to have quests or bosses where you can get better gear from.

No no no. Quests should be given by a player somehow. Like you meet someone in need of a blood transfusion. Says he'll trade you something nice for a blood transfusion. Furthermore, plenty of trades happen. It's just dangerous. We always have a ghillied sniper on over watch for trades.

No no no. Quests should be given by a player somehow. Like you meet someone in need of a blood transfusion. Says he'll trade you something nice for a blood transfusion. Furthermore, plenty of trades happen. It's just dangerous. We always have a ghillied sniper on over watch for trades.

I would love that even more but i guess its hardcored ...

I would love that even more but i guess its hardcored ...

Nothing is hardcoded in a new game ;)

We're talking about the Day Z standalone here.

Besides, players giving quests could - theoretically - be accomplished without any coding at all. They would just reach an agreement via voicechat.

Still I believe that the most fulfilling "quests" are the one that you give yourself, or goals that you make together with a group of people.

There won't be a guide on how to accomplish your own goals, and the reward will be unknown, but that's what makes it so interesting

• Like 1

it will be two different games... warz will be more like fallout, just with zombies..

Dont get me wrong, DayZ standalone is going to ultimately sweep warz under the carpet. But 2 of the 4 main points you highlighted are not accurate. There will be no quests, only bountys on the heads of bandits that players must put up themselves. Real money will not buy you anything of in game use, only clothing. Still even so il be sticking to DayZ. Im more of a hardcore game fan :)

I believe rocket will do everything right with this game. He's an extremely smart developer, he knows what ruins games, which mainly is people pushing some production team to add in crap like quests, safe zones, and trade markets. None of that should be added. The reason DayZ is so unique is because it doesn't have all that stuff other games have, and there is no other game out there that gives you the same adrenaline rush when your are in a survival situation. Everyone should watch the sidestrafe interview with rocket, you can tell after watching it, that he's going to take the game down the right path

I believe rocket will do everything right with this game. He's an extremely smart developer, he knows what ruins games, which mainly is people pushing some production team to add in crap like quests, safe zones, and trade markets. None of that should be added. The reason DayZ is so unique is because it doesn't have all that stuff other games have, and there is no other game out there that gives you the same adrenaline rush when your are in a survival situation. Everyone should watch the sidestrafe interview with rocket, you can tell after watching it, that he's going to take the game down the right path

The game is so good because it is hard. It doesn't hold your hand like every other game. You don't even get a makarov when you spawn anymore.

I really hope he's able to stick to his guns. Let WarZ try to be everything to everyone, let this continue to be unique.

Rocket has a vision, WarZ has a marketplace.

• Like 1

I agree completely, but i think you missed the main problem which is microtransactions. That must not be in the standalone version of DayZ in any way, i prefer simple donate button which anyone can use if they feel like it.

This "donate when they feel like it" button just won't happen, that other game's already doing that right now calling it "Pre-Order". (IMO, microtransactions are the way to go. Not from a personal standpoint mind you, but ohhhh, the heresy!)

Microtransactions is the practise of holding back content selling it piece by piece.

Fishy.

War Z is actually good think about it all the carebears and people who bitch and moan will go there and leave us

This ^^^

It makes me lol everytime I watch a video on youtube about it and there are like 5,000 comments asking if it's going to be on xbox and ps3. har har har

I think we should start a trend with DayZ, lets throw away the term MMO. DayZ deserves its own category, anything tainted with the term MMO i stray away from these days. I will puke on anything hinting towards an in game society structure. luckily Rocket has a level head and doesnt have a big production team pushing crap mmo ideas. DayZ needs to stay far away from any big structured gameplay