lordopeth

SSD, DayZ and You...

Thought Id share.

Went from a old SATA 2.0 3 GB drive to a SATA 3.0 6 GB SSD today and holy crap what a speed increase on load times.

WLE went from 5.9 to 7.9.

Who knew? LOL

Im ready for you ARMA 3! Well hopefully... lol

Dont troll me too hard.. ;)

Edited by opeth

They say if you can run arma 2 you can run 3.

not to mention they also said it will be better optimized.

That's what they SAY.

I also heard it was the same engine from the interview, but that wasn't true was it?

I also got a new computer, not ram but I went from 20 FPS in a forest lowest settings to around 45-50 fps in a forest with settings around normal.

Edited by Zancie

3gb to 6gb?!

SATA transfer speeds, not HD storage size, haha.

I recently upgraded my laptop with an SSD. The loading times are about 10% of what they were on the stock 5400rpm drive. woohoo!

3gb to 6gb?!

The transfer speed they say it is on the technology.

You will never get something at 6gbp/s maybe closer to 900mbp/s

Raid sure, But not single drives.

Also the WEI doesnt mean much at all. Do proper drive benchmarks.

3gb to 6gb?!

Transfer speed.. I should have made that more clear.. :) I got a 256 gb ssd ocz agility 3.

Edited by opeth

He means 3GB per second / 6GB per second.

The transfer speed they say it is on the technology.

You will never get something at 6gbp/s maybe closer to 900mbp/s

Raid sure, But not single drives.

Also the WEI doesnt mean much at all. Do proper drive benchmarks.

technically you do get 6gbps speeds, but that's just the phy layer technology. there are tons of other layers and headers that need to go across that data path, so you are also correct you'll never see 6gbps in an application layer benchmark test.

i finally upgraded my raid array (striped) to dual 6gbps drives, and i got a little bump in game load times, but that's really all I noticed.

Edited by Prion

my bad my bad thought you were talking about storage capacity hahah

Looks like I need an SSD then

It took me a while to jump on the SSD band wagon and now I wish I did it sooner. The speed increase is ridiculous.

Get it! \m/ ;)

Why'd you change your DP :(

Also SSD with boot sector + frequently used programs is the way to go.

The transfer speed probably had nothing to do with it. The Agility uses more affordable Asynchronous Flash, but has a faster Sandforce 2281 controller, although the early ones used to fail a lot. What was your old drive? The Marvel controllers have faster sustained reads like on the Crucial M4, which I have. They keep their speed over time and don't degrade as the drive stays on like the Sandforce does.

Edited by thunderpimp

mklink/j in the command window. Like the steam tool, but works for anything. :)

I love my Crucial M4 but it does absolutely nothing for 293a6hk.jpg :(

That part seems entirely reliant on whether the server is shitting itself or not that day.

Edited by Ulfhedjinn

Wow, better hardware = better performance, who knew?

You would think right? I got suckered into the raptor drives a few years back. The cost comparison, speed and storage capacity vs. the normal 7200 IDE HD's back in the day wasn't worth it. So you can understand why I would be a tad skeptical getting the SSD's?

Edited by opeth

You would think right? I got suckered into the raptor drives a few years back. The cost comparison and storage capacity vs. the normal 7200 IDE HD's back in the day wasn't worth it. So you can understand why I would be a tad skeptical getting the SSD's?

SSDs are a whole different animal. 500MB/s read speed is really obvious to the eye.

SSDs are a whole different animal. 500MB/s read speed is really obvious to the eye.

Your not kidding, The agility 3 is the best one of the bunch. The newer agility 4 is actually slower in comparison comparing the read/write capabilites. Thought that was weird.

Agility 3

Max Read: up to 525MB/s

Max Write: up to 500MB/s

Random Write 4KB: 45,000 IOPS

Maximum 4K Random Write: 85,000 IOPS

Agilty 4

Sequential Reads1

420 MB/s

Sequential Writes1

410 MB/s

Random 4k Read IOPS2

48,000 IOPS

Random 4k Write IOPS2

85,000 IOPS

I use a Crucial M4 myself for the controller. When I was investigating which to get I was reading nothing but horror stories about BSODs and such with the Sandforce controllers. It's not as fast as many, 500MB/s read and half that in write, but it's blazing.

The Windows flag doesn't even show on boot. :wub:

I use a Crucial M4 myself for the controller. When I was investigating which to get I was reading nothing but horror stories about BSODs and such with the Sandforce controllers. It's not as fast as many, 500MB/s read and half that in write, but it's blazing.

The Windows flag doesn't even show on boot. :wub:

Thats crazy. I was waiting for the PCI SSD's to drop in price but I couldn't stand not having a SSD anymore. LOL

The newer version of firmware that was released for the OCZ I got supposed to have eliminated the BSOD issues. We'll see.. =)

Edited by opeth

Thats crazy. I was waiting for the PCI SSD's to drop in price but I couldn't stand not having a SSD anymore. LOL

A guy I know who works as a wedding and wildlife photographer uses one of those for working with RAW format, he'd be the first to say they're too disgustingly fast and high capacity for the needs of a gaming machine. I can imagine they'll become a more mainstream one day though.

The newer version of firmware that was released for the OCZ I got supposed to have eliminated the BSOD issues. We'll see.. =)

I hope so bud, OCZ models are easily the most recognisable brand out there.