lordopeth

SSD, DayZ and You...

Thought Id share.

Went from a old SATA 2.0 3 GB drive to a SATA 3.0 6 GB SSD today and holy crap what a speed increase on load times.

WLE went from 5.9 to 7.9.

Who knew? LOL

Im ready for you ARMA 3! Well hopefully... lol

Dont troll me too hard..

So you specifically saw a decrease in load times for Arma2? I am very seriously considering an SSD for a new gaming drive but I have always been concerned about the amount of benefit certain games would actually get from it. I would use it only as a game drive. I could care less how fast Windows loads.

So you specifically saw a decrease in load times for Arma2? I am very seriously considering an SSD for a new gaming drive but I have always been concerned about the amount of benefit certain games would actually get from it. I would use it only as a game drive. I could care less how fast Windows loads.

Decrease in load times? I said increase, in a major way. =)

I have also read people buying 32 gig SSD HD's just to install ARMA 2 on them only.. =)

Edited by opeth

I've not played DayZ on a standard HDD but, I have to be honest with you; While the application itself will load me in to the server lobby pretty much immediately, the connecting load screens (Loading, Creating Character, etc.) often take forever and I don't notice myself getting in to servers before my SSD-less friends do if we were in the lobby at the same time.

Most of the loading screens are chatter and mission file/character uploading/downloading between the client, server, and hive I think.

Edited by Ulfhedjinn

I have a shitty hard drive but I am using ram disk to make my ram a virtual hard drive and I have dayZ loaded on there. Do I still need an ssd?

I've not played DayZ on a standard HDD but, I have to be honest with you; While the application itself will load me in to the server lobby pretty much immediately, the connecting load screens (Loading, Creating Character, etc.) often take forever and I don't notice myself getting in to servers before my SSD-less friends do if we were in the lobby at the same time.

Most of the loading screens are chatter and mission file/character uploading/downloading between the client, server, and hive I think.

/agreed. Comparing to the 7200 SATA 2 drive I had. Getting to the lobby using DayZCommander went from a possible 30-60 second load time to about 4-10 second load time.

Even the "Setup Complete" screen to being in the game really fast as well.

/agreed. Comparing to the 7200 SATA 2 drive I had. Getting to the lobby using DayZCommander went from a possible 30-60 second load time to about 4-10 second load time.

Even the "Setup Complete" screen to being in the game really fast as well.

Yeah getting to the lobby, and getting on to the world after "setup complete", are almost so fast you don't even see them.

My problem is the bit between the lobby and "setup complete", where I often get stuck with the yellow "loading" text for 5 minutes.

built my comp in Feb, debated going SSD or not. all hard drive prices were very high at the time. (floods) but i ended up biting the bullet and going with a Crucial M4. its like night and day compared to my old comp. loaded BF3 on it. fricken flys. SSD is the best purchase Ive made for my computer ever i think. love my new rig now :) and SSD prices have come down since I bought mine in Feb. ill be getting another.

soon

Edited by CrazyAirborne

built my comp in Feb, debated going SSD or not. all hard drive prices were very high at the time. (floods) but i ended up biting the bullet and going with a Crucial M4. its like night and day compared to my old comp. loaded BF3 on it. fricken flys. love my new computer now :) and SSD prices have come down since I bought mine in Feb. ill be getting another.

soon

Crucial M4 brofist. :beans:

Im running two Force 3 120GB SSD's in raid.

Its omfg fast. Windows and games load like I would have never imagined.

I was always stand off-ish like many others. Like some have said, I wish I had done it sooner.

I still use a WD 1TB HDD for storage duties or games I dont play often. All my caching is done on the mechanical as well to spare the SSD's the wear.

Edited by ThermoNuke

Stop trying to justify making the bad decision of buying an SSD

ur just jealous. :P

shits tight yo

• Like 1

Stop trying to justify making the bad decision of buying an SSD

Just out of curiosity, why do you think it is a bad decision?

In my country consumer protection laws (the Distance Selling Regulations) mean things like electronics bought online can be returned within 7 working days, with no questions asked. Surely, if I thought it was a bad decision and had buyer's remorse, I would have gotten a full refund.

Just out of curiosity, why do you think it is a bad decision?

In my country consumer protection laws (the Distance Selling Regulations) mean things like electronics bought online can be returned within 7 working days, with no questions asked. Surely, if I thought it was a bad decision and had buyer's remorse, I would have gotten a full refund.

hes just trolling mate

hes just trolling mate

Good idea, I think I'll have a go at doing it back...

Translation: "I cant afford them and you should feel bad for it."

Or his mummy won't buy him one. :)

Translation: "I cant afford them and you should feel bad for it."

LOL!

There can me only one!! (troll)

=)

Crucial M4 is a way to go! First I wanted to get OCZ one but did some research and found out that they are crappy. That's why my fav store sold them at huge discount. So I went with Crucial that got the best reviews but costed me twice as much as OCZ :P

Very nice Void!

I got the OCZ for $139.99 for a 256gb. I couldn't pass that up. :)

http://www.stefanjones.ca/steam/

Steam Tool. Allows you to move steam games from your main steam folder to a diff hard drive. Has worked well for me.

And if you don't like to install and use additional software, just try the "mklink" command http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link.

It's easy to use and you have more control over the process.