Koot (DayZ)

WTF is happening to the server community.

Let's make a couple of things clear.

If you have no friends or organized group to play with, your chances of finding a stranger in-game who wants to legitimately cooperate with you are very slim. Don't complain if you gamble against the odds and lose. It's your fault. This is a survival game and therefore you are prey to everyone else, not their friend.

If you lack a group to play with but don't like playing by yourself and don't like participating in the cherno/elektro bean wars, perhaps this isn't the game for you. It isn't hard to find communities with teamspeak servers who play together though. You just have to put in some effort. Perhaps if the direct communication is ever fixed, it will be easier to recruit some temporary allies, but for now, trust nobody. It's not like you haven't been told that repeatedly already.

With that being said, I actually do support spawns being taken out of cherno and elektro and moved away from them. They are treasure troves for resources, but being killed by someone who got a lucky spawn nearby you is really cheap.

You need to give people things to do. After having collected nice gear there is not much you can do!

All we do is go to military camps to get good loot if someone needs it' date=' after that not much happens. We get cars and choppers and fix them up, but what to do with em? Its fun for a while but there is no real objective you feel like you want to achieve.

[/quote']

This is both off-topic and irrelevant. The game is in alpha and its goal is survival. If you want additional goals go max out your prestige on CoD.

I have a question.

Is this game supposed to focus on realism or fun?

That's all I'm gonna say, because both sides in this argument are fucking stupid.

Same conversation in every thread.

the-end-is-near_65kr.jpg

Can a moderator do a mega merge, please?

I would like to see more spawns in Berezino. That place is like the Thunder Bluff of DayZ. Just an empty neglected city. let players spawn that close to the NE Airfield I say. It is the lesser of the Northern airfields and needs a little conflict now and again.

1. Take time to repair/remove all the "gamey" possibilities. 2. Make the game harder - increase the role of survival, like you are already doing, eg. with infections, temperature, environment thing. I know, I know, totally not original and ideas not mechanics.

I would like to see more spawns in Berezino. That place is like the Thunder Bluff of DayZ. Just an empty neglected city. let players spawn that close to the NE Airfield I say. It is the lesser of the Northern airfields and needs a little conflict now and again.

The airfield spawns a Helo, I say put the spawn further south if you want it to be that close to Berezino. I'm all for it, but put the spawn further south. Make people have to huff it to the Airfield.

Here is an idea for a "mechanic" so to speak.

Move the spawns from the coast in the south' date=' to the coast on the east and the Forrest on the west. Or....move spawns away from Chern and Electro altogether.

[/quote']

So you want to take to problem out of Cherno and Electro and move it elsewhere? How does that solve anything?

This is pointless' date=' fuck you guys, I'll just go stalk people from far away with a sniper and if I see someone killing another player I'd just shoot them and go stalk another one.

Byez.

[/quote']

The thing is, DayZ is not the best "griefing" game. You actually dont loose that much on death. The stakes of death at say EVE, UO or Darkfall are MUCH MUCH higher, since its "real" persistent world - while in DayZ no one actually values their lives and things much. The only real downside of death is annoying time spent running running running getting stuff back.

I do not know how you deal with most of these people. I would have already flipped the switch off and never looked back. In fact, reading this thread almost made me shut off Dallas 4. If I were you I would get someone to read these threads for you and feed you any useful suggestions without having to read all the complaining.

Your vision for DayZ is the reason it's so popular. Keep to that and don't worry about the haters, they gonna hate.

Here is an idea for a "mechanic" so to speak.

Move the spawns from the coast in the south' date=' to the coast on the east and the Forrest on the west. Or....move spawns away from Chern and Electro altogether.

[/quote']

So you want to take to problem out of Cherno and Electro and move it elsewhere? How does that solve anything?

Simple: More spawns means less crowding in the same area. Problem currently: Too many people spawning in and around Chern and Electro. Too many people spawning on the same coast. Too many bandits camping Chern, and some camping Electro.

Putting people on the West side, and the East coast, splits the chances of people spawning next to each other, and clearly away from the fire.

Have you actually been on the West or East side of the map? It's not very populated, and there is plenty of cover.

Love the fanboy shot here, as clearly being tired of CoD style griefers means you're a wuss. Those are the only two people in the world, obviously.

This just needs to be on the FAQ. Do you want random deathmatches? Do you want just another deathmatch game with persistent progress and a slight threat of infection? If so then say so, I was under the impression you wanted a survival game that has a threat other than players. I sort of guessed something new. I think that the "zombie" part of this game has been more or less hyped up by the media, which isn't your fault, but you just need to come out and say it's not about zombies, it's about surviving people who do what they want.

In other words, the line needs to be in the sand. When the lines are drawn and we know EXACTLY what you want, we can all move on. Just say what you want, and go from there, the solution will fall in place in time.

Come on man, we're all trying to help out, but make up your mind and tell everyone else what you want, otherwise this is going to keep happening. You don't have to fanboy over someone because they post an idea that could make the game easier, just keep an eye out for the good ones.

This is pointless' date=' fuck you guys, I'll just go stalk people from far away with a sniper and if I see someone killing another player I'd just shoot them and go stalk another one.

Byez.

[/quote']

The thing is, DayZ is not the best "griefing" game. You actually dont loose that much on death. The stakes of death at say EVE, UO or Darkfall are MUCH MUCH higher, since its "real" persistent world - while in DayZ no one actually values their lives and things much. The only real downside of death is annoying time spent running running running getting stuff back.

Well, nothing is going to change in the game, so I'll keep doing that until they leave the server and go to another one.

No suggestions in here will get any positive effect because there's too much people together and there's no way to filter the shitties from the goodies, so everyone is pissing in a sea of piss.

rocket.... i love you.

for you complainers:

didnt your mother teach you to never talk to strangers? the anonymity and lack of real consequences of the internet means that people can do whatever with no regards. do you trust every random stranger you pass on a daily basis? why would you trust anyone in a game? there is no game mechanic that will change or negate human nature under the above circumstances.... welcome to the experiment. if any of you think otherwise then i say you are an ignorant fool.

i can tell you from a lot of experience that when your life is on the line, you will not take any chances; those who do end up dead.

please get off the soap box with "people who are bandits have no morals IRL". i'm a bandit ingame, and i shoot everyone i dont know. i live my life by a strict set of morals and sacrificed 4 years of my life in service of my country.

if you are complaining about people killing you, backstabbing you, and "deathmatches", then you just dont get it.

"be polite and professional to everyone you meet, but always have a plan to kill them" - (dont know who to quote for this one)

"you have the rest of your life to make a life and death decision, how long you live depends on how well you make that decision" - Clint Smith

So far we have "more zombies" and "harder zombies" and "more loot"

The zombies are AI. The AI are never going to be harder or more dangerous than people. The reason zombies are so great on computers is because AI on computers ARE fucking zombies' date=' stupid, retarded.

Have you guys actually studied the classic and recent zombie movies a bit? The romero movies y'all rave about? Dawn of the Dead, the modern variant with 28 days later, the Walking Dead. In every single one, the greatest threat comes not from the Zombies but from the breakdown of society and from the other people. Because they can think, they can plan, they can strategize. The zombies can't. And the people are desperate.

Now, I have yet to see a single non "wishy-washy" idea above that even resembles a game mechanic. Please don't just post your ideas. Ideas are worthless. Everyone has ideas. Mechanics have value. Post mechanics, and I will consider them.

[/quote']

What it all comes down to is weather or not one can trust another right? In real society a person who likes to betray other people usually gets caught thanks to rumors about him. So what I'd imagine we need is a system which allows players to see if someone can be trusted or not.

Perhaps allow players to give another person a negative trust rating? Others would only be able to see this trust rating at a certain distance from the person in question of course, or maybe they need to meet the person who gave the negative trust first. Some sort of automated communication between players. The more players you meet, the more knowledge about who and who not to trust you gain.

Some sort of faction mechanic also crosses my mind, but I don't know what to say about it.

Maybe it just needs to be more earning to play in a group (trust each other). Make it easier to survive when together (check my 1st suggestion in this thread: http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=7655 ) or make the uber loot only properly accessible when you are with more than one person.

Make players wait 48 hours real time after a death before a new character can be created. I think that would solve a couple problems. Not sure if it is technically possible.

This would give a "game over" feel when you die. It would also cut down on server congestion.

The zombies are no threat anymore...

That's a problem. And i propose increase zombi difficulty. If you shoot, an horde must go to you. That's what happen in zombie movies.

Sometimes you shoot in the middle of Chernarus, and only 2 or 3 zombies come to you. Weapons do much noise, and survivors can hear it for long, but zombis in this game are deaf.

1. Take time to repair/remove all the "gamey" possibilities. 2. Make the game harder - increase the role of survival' date=' like you are already doing, eg. with infections, temperature, environment thing. I know, I know, totally not original and ideas not mechanics.

[/quote']

Problem is - the "survival" only matters for those who actually care to survive. The people that just play for killing are not affected by this - they can afford to die and just run to their favorite weapon spawn again and then to their favorite camping spot. The factors like temperature, infections, food etc only matter for people that actually have something to loose.

As it said the problem is not PvP (its great part of the game), its that right now its people with everything to loose vs people with nothing to loose. You can make Bandits have something to loose, but preferable way is to add some reason why one would actually care about survival and in game goals, so that risk would be worth it. Right now, the problem is not player fighting - the problem is that theres literally nothing to do except for it. Even if you organize, wipe everyone, build a base, repair a vechicles etc - in the end, you can only continue to stockpile resources pointlessly, knowing you`ll die eventually loosing it all, or use them to go kill other players. After that, repeating the whole cicle becomes to tedious - you skip the whole "survival" part and just go kill other players from beginning.

By default, respawn with a single can of beans, an empty water bottle and a single mag for your Makarov. For every day survived, you respawn with more ammo, supplies and survival items (Watch, Map, Compass, etc) on your next life. Maybe even a fabled day 7 NVG.

Throw a minimum playtime for each tier of rewards to avoid creating a character and just leaving it there for a week and you have an incentive to live longer between lives.

By default, have a 10 minute respawn timer. For every -1k Humanity, add 1 minute to the respawn timer. For every +1k Humanity, take 30 seconds from the respawn timer.

(The numbers chosen being completely arbitrary)

With this, blindly killing players will make your current life easier as you'll have their loot, however, your afterlife will be a bitch, especially if your Humanity persists through death.

Someone that goes around randomly killing will respawn with little and less items, and could potentially have to wait 15~20~30 minutes between lives.

Food for thought.

See' date=' you guys still have it all wrong.

You realize how hard it is to get in game? These guys WANT to play. They have a fucking plan. They have a strategy. They have strategy. And they aren't here posting about it.

You call them "COD kiddies" and "deathmatch" but the fact is, they operate under the same rules and restrictions as you guys and if anything, they have MORE to loose than you. When you spawn you have everything you need to survive, but you can't PK too easy.

What I see, when I look at the data, is that some of the PK guys are fucking organized. They know exactly what they are doing.

Have you guys ever read the book "the Stand" by Stephen King? If not, then go fucking read it right now. And then I can tell you that that shit, in that book, is happening right now. [b']The bad guys are doing way fucking better at this game than the good guys. Because the good guys keep coming on the forums to post how the bad guys win.

Why do we regard heroes so highly? Why do we praise people for doing the right thing? Because it is fucking hard, because it easier to be a dickhead.

I think maybe you guys are too used to "balance" and the game simply supporting your choice to play in a certain way.

90% of gamers these days are "carrot-on-a-stick" gamers. They play games to be rewarded. In this game, there are only rewards for Bandits, and no rewards for Survivors. The idea that "survival" is the reward won't resonate with modern gamers. This is why you will eventually end up with nothing but Bandits playing your game. Which is fine, but don't expect to be able to change the mentality of the modern gamer.

I personally feel like you need to offer some type of reward to encourage surviving. Even if it is something basic like a title for people who live a long time, or help other players, or kill bandit players. People will only try to "play nice" for so long without any type of reward... then they will either quit, or become shoot-on-sight bandits themselves.

I'm all for what you're trying to do Rocket, but the average gamer these days doesn't even understand the concept of a sandbox game. They want to be led by the nose, and rewarded for every step they take.

To be fair, in a sandbox game, you need to give the players lots of toys and tools to create their own experiences. DayZ has a great foundation, but when endgame consists of fixing cars and helicopters, it's not surprising that people will grow tired of the experience. I've read lots of great ideas that involve establishing player bases, player housing, and perhaps fixing/controlling power plants. If the game/mod is to have any type of longevity, players will have to be given more tools to play with.

My favorite game/MMO of all-time is still Star Wars Galaxies. The game allowed to feel as if you were actually living in the World. DayZ offers that same feeling, to an extent. The problem is that the tools afforded are limited. This isn't your fault, nor did you ask for this responsibility. But the people who initially fell in love with your game/mod, are the same people who have desired a sandbox world to call their own for years. Mainstream developers are afraid to create a true sandbox game, because it's easier to just target the "carrot-on-a-stick", and there are a lot more of them ($$$).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the "carrot-on-a-stick" crowd will never be happy with your game/mod, and the sandbox crowd will always demand more tools. You're in a lose - lose situation, and I hope that you don't let it drive you crazy. Relax, enjoy what you're doing, and stick to your vision.

Byez.

[/quote']

Well, nothing is going to change in the game, so I'll keep doing that until they leave the server and go to another one.

No suggestions in here will get any positive effect because there's too much people together and there's no way to filter the shitties from the goodies, so everyone is pissing in a sea of piss.

Can I join you?

And God, it's so tiresome reading the "You can't trust anyone this us zombie world derpty this is how real life would be ever1 iz a killahz".

No shit, Sherlock. The point is in the real world you lose something when you go fuck with an armed guy and he shoots back. And not every fat fuck that masturbates to ponies can be a badass killer.

So shut the fuck up already. It's not that simple to any of the sides. Both carebears and you are the same, staying in pathetic extremes. The world and the people in it are shades of grey. NO WHITE, NOT BLACK, GREY.

As much as I sometimes want to rage. Unless I stay in these forums, it will end up like all the other games. The developer belongs here, with the Players. Not the players talking to some marketing douche.

• Like 2

Byez.

[/quote']

Can I join you?

By all means. Let's form a stalker group.

As soon as I get the better PC I'll call some fuckers to put this en-route.