muniek85

Any point in not being murderer?

It is a game and not a real life, so people conscious doesnt count in this case. Is there any system that actually rewards people for not being notorious murderers?

• Like 1

I have my own personal satisfaction in that the only person I've killed shot at me first.

Plus a clean pair of heels when the bullets start flying.

Hello there,

One doesn't have to KOS, just be aware that many if not most will KOS you with the current game mechanics.

rgds

LoK

• Like 2

what is the game other, than a mirror of our life?

in a multiplayer game, you interact with other people, individual humans like you. if you murder them, you end their game and force them to start anew. how is being an ass in the game different from being an ass in real life? how is causing discomfort and frustration to others in a game different form real life?

if you are the type of person who draws satisfaction from harassing others in real life, you will enjoy doing it ingame as well. if you are the type of person who draws satisfaction from cooperation, you will enjoy doing it ingame as well.

as stated on several occasions already, the medic thread in the Survivor HQ is a prime example of how cooperation in DayZ works well and provides meaning and joy to many players. similarly, you will find examples of how people enjoy playing the game as asshats.

you need to decide for yourself, who you are.

• Like 26

e47: Well said! Please enjoy this can of beans!

Edited by Konrad010

in a multiplayer game, you interact with other people, individual humans like you. if you murder them, you end their game and force them to start anew. how is being an ass in the game different from being an ass in real life? how is causing discomfort and frustration to others in a game different form real life?

if you are the type of person who draws satisfaction from harassing others in real life, you will enjoy doing it ingame as well. if you are the type of person who draws satisfaction from cooperation, you will enjoy doing it ingame as well.

as stated on several occasions already, the medic thread in the Survivor HQ is a prime example of how cooperation in DayZ works well and provides meaning and joy to many players. similarly, you will find examples of how people enjoy playing the game as asshats.

Not quite. Remember some key differences; you're only another face behind a screen, and death is only a temporary setback. I guarantee you that 99% of the players in this game would not shoot on sight without a word in every single encounter in a similar environment in real life. Not only are people protective of their reputation in real life, but anybody who's a veteran in a military and has been in engagements will openly tell you (as my friends are always quick to remind me) that killing even the enemy in self defense can bring severe mental stress or trauma. Anybody who thinks themselves above all of that can feel free to prove themselves by signing up and going through that experience- I wouldn't wish that sort of trauma on anybody.

DayZ is essentially a mix of your standard videogame deathmatch mentality with a healthy dose of the greater internet fuckwad theory, so I really don't think you can compare it to real life in any means.

• Like 3

Challenge. Which is harder, to kill on sight, or try to survive without senseless killing?

I play battlefield 3 if I want an easy game run and gun, or snipe in the hillies.

Not quite. Remember some key differences; you're only another face behind a screen, and death is only a temporary setback. I guarantee you that 99% of the players in this game would not shoot on sight without a word in every single encounter in a similar environment in real life. Not only are people protective of their reputation in real life, but anybody who's a veteran in a military and has been in engagements will openly tell you (as my friends are always quick to remind me) that killing even the enemy in self defense can bring severe mental stress or trauma. Anybody who thinks themselves above all of that can feel free to prove themselves by signing up and going through that experience- I wouldn't wish that sort of trauma on anybody.

DayZ is essentially a mix of your standard videogame deathmatch mentality with a healthy dose of the greater internet fuckwad theory, so I really don't think you can compare it to real life in any means.

although you quoted my post, it seems you have not read it. i am not talking about shooting or killing. i am talking about character and disposition, about behaviour as a gamer. If you shoot everybody in this game, armed or not, hostile or not, you ignore the many people who do not want to PvP at that point, thus inflicting frustration on purpose.

DayZ is more than a deathmatch arena. It provides you with a sandbox, but its up to you to choose your game mode. if you want challenging PvP, there is place for that, but also a place for cooperation and survival. If you kill everybody on sight, you reduce this to a deathmatch for everybody. You reduce the gaming experience of other players to the one mode you have chosen for yourself.

You think you're a nice guy because you help with the dishes and bring out the trash? But on the internet, you can be an asshat, because its not "real"? thats a misconception. Online interactions are as true and real as those using any other medium. Yes, its easier being an anonymous asshat than face-to-face. But its not better ;)

EDIT: clarification: by "you", i refer to a hypothetical individual, not Dosh personally. I have not reason to assume he is such a hypothetical asshat :)

Edited by e47
  • Like 4

For me its a case of self defense most of the time. I know that if I don't kill them they will try and kill me. Will I shoot unarmed noobs on the coast? No its pointless to kill someone that can't even be a threat. But I've learned not to expect the same from others, I've been sniper on the coast a bunch of times by people who seem to get enjoyment out of just killing unarmed players.

This right here, folks. This is why I stopped shooting first and asking questions later. What have I gotten out of it? Met 3 different chaps that are just as heavily addicted to DayZ as I am and willing to crush 4-8 hours straight. Lol, so, there's more then just "satisfaction" to be gained in not killing everything that moves.

although you quoted my post, it seems you have not read it. i am not talking about shooting or killing. i am talking about character and disposition, about behaviour as a gamer. If you shoot everybody in this game, armed or not, hostile or not, you ignore the many people who do not want to PvP at that point, thus inflicting frustration on purpose.

DayZ is more than a deathmatch arena. It provides you with a sandbox, but its up to you to choose your game mode. if you want challenging PvP, there is place for that, but also a place for cooperation and survival. If you kill everybody on sight, you reduce this to a deathmatch for everybody. You reduce the gaming experience of other players to the one mode you have chosen for yourself.

You think you're a nice guy because you help with the dishes and bring out the trash? But on the internet, you can be an asshat, because its not "real"? thats a misconception. Online interactions are as true and real as those using any other medium. Yes, its easier being an anonymous asshat than face-to-face. But its not better ;)

I have, actually. You specifically said "how is being an ass in the game different from being an ass in real life?", and I gave you a pretty specific answer: due to the fact that you are anonymous, and also because being an ass doesn't have any serious or permanent repercussions. So to make that easier to understand, it is VERY different. So no, just because you are a bandit who kills everybody on sight doesn't mean you're a similar kind of jerk in real life. If that were the case, me and my friends wouldn't be compatible with our social environments at all, and I would assume the same for many others who play as pure bandits.

Regarding your comment about how the internet is "real communication", yes it is. But as long as the other party doesn't actually know you in person, it is quite easy to fabricate any information about yourself as well as your own personality and actions. It becomes easier to dissociate yourself from others you don't know personally since you also realize this possibility on their end. The method of communication is indeed real, but it's silly to think that social interaction could match a level of actually meeting somebody face-to-face and establishing some sort of relationship (whether it is positive or negative). Again, the point is the same as the one I made for Day Z; on the internet, you're just an unfamiliar entity behind a computer, and in the end you can cut without a worry in the world in comparison to your actual reputation and standing outside.

I won't comment on your argument against the deathmatch, since that's not the point I was making or addressing- it was the behavior behind it I was addressing.

So in short, yes, I have red your previous comment and have made some counterpoints to it. I hope it's easier for you to understand in this post.

• Like 1

EDIT: clarification: by "you", i refer to a hypothetical individual, not Dosh personally. I have not reason to assume he is such a hypothetical asshat :)

Agree.

There can be some exceptions though.

I have more over the same vision and IMO, you can find the same exemples IRL, with people behaviour on the road, same in real life.

It's a long debate... or story, you choose.

:)

It is a game and not a real life, so people conscious doesnt count in this case. Is there any system that actually rewards people for not being notorious murderers?

It's subtle, but there is a system. You have to make it happen though.

If you murder on sight, then you have lost an ally. If everyone murders on sight, then there are no allies.

People need to stop murdering on sight for it to work, and that starts with yourself. If they care, that is. Which most people don't. And that's fine.

Here come the "I tried that, and was killed on sight for nothing, now I kill on sight, no questions asked." <-- well then you fucked up, and are continuing to fuck up.

I allowed a dude to get me in his sights in a building. I talked to him and had a train of Zs behind me. I killed the Zombies, he didn't shoot me (or talk, but I know he heard me), and life went on.

I don't generally shoot onsight, unless I've seen that player kill another one first.

I always make sure I say "friendly" in direct, then if they don't reply I say "are you friendly?" Then if they again don't reply, I ask one more time.

By that point, if they haven't replied, I assume that they aren't friendly and open up on them!

I have once though made the mistake of seeing someone crawl towards me with a hatchet and thought it was a gun, so shot him in the face....repeatedly. When I looted his body, the only weapon was the hatchet.....although, he did have a map, watch, matches and for some strange reason, also had ak74 magazines....which helped a lot!!

Second time I've made a mistake is when I was running from a big group of zombies (all I had was a hatchet) and I climbed up a crane in Electo. I turned around and heard something climbing the ladder! I climbed up the second ladder. Again I heard footsteps, so when I saw a head, I plunged my hatchet down into it...

Turns out it was another new spawner who was also being chased by the zombies and was following me for "sanctuary". The reason I knew this... The server I was using had Side Chat and I got a whole torrent of abuse from the player!

"...a healthy dose of the greater internet fuckwad theory..."

That calls for beans.

My first experience shooting a player was responding to fire coming at me, so I feel few regrets.

I've shot on sight twice now, and both times for good reason (I felt at the time). The first time I was in a building with a friend and saw movement out in a field. A moment later there were gunshots coming toward me and I ducked out the back. When I peaked back at said building I saw a person in a military outfit sneaking along the side of the building, and he then looked at me. I had the drop, and based on my experience of being shot (it seemed by him) less than a minute before I shot him. I didn't feel I had much problem with that one.

The second time I have a bit more doubt about, but only in retrospect. Near the same building (we had to run because the gunshots attracted zombies) and my friend and I were approaching to check the guy's gear. We started hearing shots nearby, then a different gun, then the first gun again, then someone died. Then we heard some more shots from the first gun, then a new gun, then another person died. We waited for quite a while and didn't see any movement, so we figured it was somewhere else. As we approached the building someone rounded the corner RIGHT in front of me. He had his gun raised as he rounded the corner, and based off of the sounds it seemed like he had been the aggressor, so I took the shot first. The thing that gives me pause in this one is that it took him a second to return fire, by which point it was too late anyway. (It says I have one bandit kill and one murder, so my friend must have gotten the other kill as he has one bandit kill. Obviously someone I killed had a clean track record. :\ )

I just thought I'd share my experiences. I'm still on my first life, have made only one friend, and haven't had much luck making others (I usually end up running from other humans).

If we want people to work together more, I think that we'll need to wait until the zombies are a bigger threat. As they are now I don't feel that they're enough of a threat for people to band up against, and even them coming from weapon-fire doesn't seem to deter people much.

Edited by Choobeast

It depends on how immersed you let yourself get. I have yet to kill anyone and I plan to keep it that way. Even in a real life survival situation I wouldn't harm anyone, and wouldn't even take a gun if I knew I could outrun zeds. I have had my share of player encounters, but I try to be as carefully friendly as possible. I did have to axe a guy once, but instead of finishing him off, I bandaged him and left morphine outside the building for him. I suppose it's an ego thing, knowing you're one of the few people not being hostile to other players.

Edited by HerrJon
  • Like 6

It's a game for crying out loud. It reflects your personality in real life? NO. You kill people to get their loot so you can surivive and enjoy the game or you can team up with others to KILL others. Without the the thrill of killing in this game, it would suck. Like really, do you think because I enjoy killing people in a video game that I would kill somebody in real life?

Reality check.

For me its a case of self defense most of the time. I know that if I don't kill them they will try and kill me.

That's where you're wrong i've met over 100 people in this game so far and only like 20 have been hostile and the rest simply would of prefered me to ignore them of which I did and no fire-fight was involved it's either I'm a nice guy on vlop and people trust me or they're scared but i've seen people with more blood, bigger guns and more people in their group and when I communicated through vlop they say something like "Oh okay man just keep looting we have enough gear anyway but do you have like any beans we can have we're a bit hungry" and I give them the beans and everyones happy

A player's video game actions does NOT define the person behind the screen.

For me not being a murderer means that when I see a player I have the option not to ruin his session and waste his time. I have a choice I won't shoot- all bets are off if I'm in danger. I've fired warning shots and scared people. In some ways that's better than just letting them go on their ways because it sends the message "be more careful dumbfuck".

I suppose some people get a rush from being dicks, and that's valid, but for me being a dick makes me feel like a dick. Feeling like a dick bums me out, because it sends me a message that I am compensating for something I need mentally at the expense of others. My dad taught me to not be a dick, and in not doing so I honor him and his line.

• Like 3