griffinz

DayZ Standalone Confirmed

To be honest the standalone bit is awesome.Thing is are you still going to be using the Bohemia interactive engine? and the Arma 2 engine?

To be honest the standalone bit is awesome.Thing is are you still going to be using the Bohemia interactive engine? and the Arma 2 engine?

i think he still is but because he's working with the creators of the engine he'll be able to change the core of the engine instead of just building on the existing engine.

It will be the same engine as Arma3

quote from reddit

Rocket

It will run on its own branch of Real Virtuality

Its the same engine just they are dividing the path so Arma3 has its own and DayZ will have a modified engine to allow them to remove and change whats not needed and add in what is i guess.

So basically Arma 3 DayZ style :P

I'm a bit confused, I thought I read standalone will run on Arma3 engine. Watching this interview with Matt Lightfoot, he's saying it'll run on the Arma2 engne. Bah, that sucks. :(

Edited by Zorg

DayZ standalone will be using the Arma 3 engine.

Edited by shadow293

Matt says Arma2 engine, he calls it 2.5. I bet that means no dx11 lightning, no physx.

The thing many just don't understand is that Arma 2 and Arma 3 both use the same engine. It just has been developed and improved for the next game. DayZ now will develop the engine to its own needs.

• Like 1

Ok, I found this post on the BIS forum http://forums.bistud...ncement!/page80

From what has been described by Dean so far, DayZ will not be using ArmA 3's engine. Rather it will be using ArmA 2's with some improvements (Ragdoll, lighting etc). But it won't be the full-bull ArmA 3 engine (DX11 etc). AFAIK.

I'm looking forward to any news on the alpha from Gamescom. Surely it's not too far off....

answer by BIS guy Vespa:

This is pretty accurate. Simultaneously developing the engine and two different projects at the same time would be insane.

So no DX11 for stand alone.

Oh noes, I hope that the modified DayZ engine will look as awesome as the Arma 3 version. If not...oh well I'll be sad. I'm currently saving some money for a new rig, mainly cause of DayZ standalone with hopefully awesome graphics.

Edited by Motte

Oh noes, I hope that the modified DayZ engine will look as awesome as the Arma 3 version. If not...oh well I'll be sad. I'm currently saving some money for a new rig, mainly cause of DayZ standalone with hopefully awesome graphics.

what you see in dayz mod right now is probably the same thing you'll be seeing in the standalone. but there will be patches. and hopefully big ones.

Edited by CaptainBingo

Arma 2 and Arma 3 use the same engine, so once Arma 3 is finished and released I'm more than sure Dean could patch the DayZ standalone engine to used any of the Arma 3 updates that he wants.

Since all three games will be using the Real Virtuality Engine I'm sure this can be done once Arma 3's engine / game is complete and released.

If standalone only uses Arma2+ engine, perhaps the Mod can be moved to pure Arma 3, which should be just as moddable as the previous version.

Ok so if we buy it in alpha for the "low price" then when its out of alpha do we pay more for that?

It should be just like minecraft... you pay the 21 dollars and you can participate in betas/alphas in this situation for free.

~silent

Ok so if we buy it in alpha for the "low price" then when its out of alpha do we pay more for that?

It should be just like minecraft... you pay the 21 dollars and you can participate in betas/alphas in this situation for free.

~silent

21 dollars is pretty high for alpha/beta, If I'm not mistaken minecraft is $26.95 as it is now. The plan is you buy it low in alpha, and you never have to pay again even when it's released. Rocket said he doesn't see DayZ being more than $30 (when it is complete), so I wouldn't worry about the price.

Ok. Last time:

Virtual Reality Engine 4 is what is used for ArmaIII.

When Rocket and BI say they will use Arma III's engine, they mean VR4.

Standalone VS Mod:

Mod = modification of an existing game. In the case of the Arma series and games like Half-Life, Arma is pretty open to modding, but there are things that simply cannot be changed without root access to the game engine, the core components, which a mod does not give you. A developer needs to add the ability to mod which BI has always done, and I applaud them for it.

Modding means using the existing recourses to create new stuff.

Standalone means using the 3D and Physics Engine (VR4), the CORE COMPONENTS, and the programming of said engines to create whatever you want.

Many games used to use Unreal Engine. Hundreds, everything from FPS to RPG to Simulator. The Engine is how stuff gets rendered and how physics work. Point blank period.

With Rocket's ability to access the core components of the game, only things pertinent to the game will exist (no more hackers spawning random stuff in). He can add scripts that connect to servers and really dig into the blood and guts of the game.

He can CREATE A GAME instead of MODDING AN EXISTING ONE.

• Like 3

When you relase the fact standlone is coming out in the process relase a patch that breaks key pieces of the game then never let your community know what is going on or when the deadline is to fix it, you can be assured the mod is no longer being worked on. Stand Alone is the closest thing you will see to what you were playing 2 weeks ago.

GJ man, hope it all works out for ya.

As we say in Belfast, all the hairy chest mate :)

Personally, I would rather see rocket ditch the mod so we get a way more stable alpha on RV4, but people think they paid for the mod and will whine, so I guess it's not possible. I have fun playing arma II without dayz, making missions and such.

Edited by JESUSARIUS REX

In a way they did bought Day Z if you see it like a content with acces only through another one which is not free. Without this mod, a lot of customers would have probably never spend any money on ArmA 2. Sure, you can argue that ArmA has it's own SP campaign and MP life and an editor, but it doesn't count really. They weren't enough to justify a buy in the first place. Only the mod turn the odds into a buy.

If the stand alone version is going to be on the new ArmA 3 engine, I'll throw some cash at BIS, if not... maybe later, on a Steam sale. :)

Edited by Calin Banc
  • Like 1

Re. engine... just dipped in here after a few days and saw this "DayZ Standalone will be running a heavily modified version of the Real Virtuality 4 engine"

Posted by Inu Dayz Forum Team member. Guess he knows what he's talking about. Means somebody's been busy, or will be very busy in the next few months. If you don't know what "Real Virtuality 4 engine" is read here.

http://en.wikipedia....al_Virtuality_4

Edited by dayzrab

Rocket in his new interviews stated it will be on Arma 2.5, meaning likely based on Arma 2 engine but modified to some degree. Less complex ragdolls compared to RV4 as an example.

Rocket in his new interviews stated it will be on Arma 2.5, meaning likely based on Arma 2 engine but modified to some degree. Less complex ragdolls compared to RV4 as an example.

That's dumb. I was really looking forward to RV4, and I know many others, were looking forward to ragdolling zombies, and a overall better engine on RV4.

• Like 1