griffinz

DayZ Standalone Confirmed

it is your system. if not explain why i get constant 60 fps almost everywhere on the map, in DAYZ.

clearly my system and only my system is the problem here.

ps. arma runs just fine.

2 daysago

"This may sound a tad rude, but many people agree: ARMA II was poorly optimized which causes many of us to get poor FPS. Has this been addressed in the new engine for the standalone?

<a class="expand" href="http://www.reddit.co...l_questions/#">[–]rocket2gunsRocket 23 points 2 days

ago

I wouldn't agree ArmA2 is poorly optimized. But yes, it is not optimized for the purposes of something like DayZ, and that is easy enough to address as a standalone."

http://www.reddit.co...tial_questions/

Edited by sivart

I don't know any commercial game where these problems are solved by using real ragdolls. All shooters I know use a simple upright capsule to represent the player for movement purposes, the more complex hitboxes are only used for hit detection. Real ragdolls are only used when you die. Why? Because it sucks if you cannot turn from a gameplay perspective, period, nothing to discuss here. You cannot draw the "realism" card in this context because of the total lack of body awareness from the player's point of view (that's also why I prefer 3rd person servers). So a capsule is perfect because no obstacle can stop it from turning around it's up-axis. There are a few exceptions, like not being able to turn in close quarters when prone, I agree that's better than feet sticking through walls (Battlefield-style) but you need no real ragdoll setup to avoid that.

And about "enemy movement", I don't understand the problem. If you want the ragdoll to influence the movement, you need some really advanced animation system like "Euphoria" which most people know from GTA IV. But there are a lot of games with proper movement without such complex systems. But as I don't understand your problem with "enemy movement" I don't know which aspects you'd like to see improved, so I can't say much more about this.

I will have to say "I'm sorry" since I was making some speculations in my mind and I wasn't able to express it to you. I'll explain. Most of what I was saying was with the intention of explaining that such improvements will benefit DayZ if they were correctly implemented with the standalone because with the entities and objects interacting and recognizing with each other (such as hitting and having their actions limited by them) we would see less warping, weird collision detection, etc, basically making the game smoother and way less clunky. But if it was implemented in the current mod with the Arma 2 engine there will be less noticeable improvements and I agree with you in that point. I hope you understand what I'm saying here.

Edited by Timberwolf

I will have to say "I'm sorry" since I was making some speculations in my mind and I wasn't able to express it to you. I'll explain. Most of what I was saying was with the intention of explaining that such improvements will benefit DayZ if they were correctly implemented with the standalone because with the entities and objects interacting and recognizing with each other (such as hitting and having their actions limited by them) we would see less warping, weird collision detection, etc, basically making the game smoother and way less clunky. But if it was implemented in the current mod with the Arma 2 engine there will be less noticeable improvements and I agree with you in that point. I hope you understand what I'm saying here.

I think I understand what you mean. But complex animations/physics systems like "Euphoria" or any other form of ragdolls are basically just eye candy on the client side / in single player games. With current technology it's not possible to synchronize physics on that detail level across a multiplayer server with 40 or even more players.

IMHO you can never completely avoid small clipping issues (like your gun slightly clipping into a door), and it's not worth wasting the time doing so. Even if you succeed, you create a very clunky experience because of the lack of body awareness, you don't FEEL the force blocking your gun, you just think "WTF, why doesn't my character turn?"

ok thoght i would put a quick question out there. Will there be any sort of reward for alpha mod players and alpha (stand alone) players come the full game release? also can we expect some kind of buddy system?

I cant wait this is a great game!! It can only get better. :) :thumbsup: :beans:

Will it still be built on some sort of ARMA engine or are you making your own with an ARMA feel?

Huh.

I see my post where I expressed my perspective on your decision was removed.

That is an interesting policy taking into consideration that you claim you value player feedback.

Next time you disagree with my opinion, feel free to ban me while stating a reason or whatever. You either want to hear what we have to say or not.

• Like 1

ok thoght i would put a quick question out there. Will there be any sort of reward for alpha mod players and alpha (stand alone) players come the full game release? also can we expect some kind of buddy system?

I think the reward would be getting it really cheap compared to the full release.

Pssh I already paid for arma 2, I should get dayz game for free!

5 bucks says they won't read this out of the hundreds posted >:-) yes I am challenging the devs

In all seriousness though, what kind of new features can we expect from a full fledge game?

Edited by fatal

My 2nd post that you quoted sums it all up. If you guys continue this discussion, whether for or against, I will lock the thread and issue warnings.

(The posts I am referring to have been hidden)

To answer the question about a buddy system: I am pretty sure Rocket recently said (on the same reddit thread) that there will be more stuff in-game for grouping up and playing with friends and so forth. The link should be on the OP. It answers a lot of questions that people continue to ask.

*edited cause I gave incorrect location of the post I was referring to.

Edited by GiggityGump

Too long, next time keep it short and too the point.

Great news! Bought Arma II just for the mod, and even if Im not at all interested in Arma, I got my moneys worth.

My guess for the mod is that it will be brought to a stable version, then they will stop adding new features and focus on the standalone, and i actually hope this is the way they do it. Then we will have a stable mod to play while waiting for the standalone to be released.

i was thinking the same thing. maybe adding features to the mod that are in the standalone if possible with the arma 2 engine.

Can't wait to hear more information about this! Hopefully the final product will start to look more solid. I hope there are tons of clothing options and customization so that each survivor is unique! Also, can't wait to see what the map looks like! Give us teaser screenshots and videos please! :D

Hey,

I've only been playing for a couple of dayz :P and I've only just registered so I don't know if this really counts for anything. But congratulations and I look forward to seeing the outcome :)

P.S I did buy ArmaII just for the mod, however, people should try the actual game they paid for too xD

Cheers

• Like 2

Let us sing and shoot in the air! There can't be enough of beans in picnic!

• Like 1

Excellent news, I hope they do put a good price on it too $60-80.

This will keep the idiots and hackers away.

So many things flawed with that statement... :/

Call me super-pessimistic, but I fear the current state of the game has tarnished the reputation of a potentially amazing standalone version of DayZ.

Over the course of the past 3 weeks, the amount of unique players has increased a lot, but at the same time, the amount of active players in the past 24h has dropped by about 50k (which is about 25% of what it was before). To me, this looks like a lot of new people wish to try DayZ out, only to be greeted by hackers, lightspeed Zeds, graphical glitches and the worst inventory-UI system known to mankind and then just log-off, never to look back again.

I fear the hype is slowly fading away and putting resources and money into the development of a standalone version of DayZ might hurt BI rather than help it (ArmA3 only fills a specific niche market), and I hope BI doesn't "need" DayZ to survive.

Yes I fully realise this game is an alpha version of a modification of a (poor) engine and I do like this game still (even though I haven't bothered logging in for quite a while because I can't find my way through the city of white and grey triangles anyway), but taking a look at the forums and you'll notice that a lot of people don't seem to realise this, and you know what they say: you never get a second chance for a first impression.

Please prove me wrong, Rocket/BI.

Edited by Applejuice
  • Like 4

Call me super-pessimistic, but I fear the current state of the game has tarnished the reputation of a potentially amazing standalone version of DayZ.

Over the course of the past 3 weeks, the amount of unique players has increased a lot, but at the same time, the amount of active players in the past 24h has dropped by about 50k (which is about 25% of what it was before). To me, this looks like a lot of new people wish to try DayZ out, only to be greeted by hackers, lightspeed Zeds, graphical glitches and the worst inventory-UI system known to mankind and then just log-off, never to look back again.

I fear the hype is slowly fading away and putting resources and money into the development of a standalone version of DayZ might hurt BI rather than help it (ArmA3 only fills a specific niche market), and I hope BI doesn't "need" DayZ to survive.

Yes I fully realise this game is an alpha version of a modification of a (poor) engine and I do like this game still (even though I haven't bothered logging in for quite a while because I can't find my way through the city of white and grey triangles anyway), but taking a look at the forums and you'll notice that a lot of people don't seem to realise this, and you know what they say: you never get a second chance for a first impression.

Please prove me wrong, Rocket/BI.

Everything you've said... Is 100% on the money. Vets are leaving the game at a rapid pace because bugs are either not being addressed or just made even worse. There's only so many times I can handle being fully stocked up with a range finder, NVG's, Coyote backpack, an AS50, ghillie suit, etc... Just to join a server and be teleported into the air and watch as my character comes to an end. You know... Cuz aborting/ALT+F4 is a bannable offence. What a joke. Hosting a server is a joke, you have almost no control over something YOU pay for. Ridiculous.

/rant

i hope rocket realizes there's no more fooling around with the standalone game we will pay for. I know that we aren't paying for this mod so the shitty new version is forgiven. But when we pay for the standalone alpha he has to work a bit harder on those patches.It's gonna be more serious then. Keep that in mind rocket. People will then have a right to rant about spawning on the coast with no gear after 15 hours of gameplay like just happened to me. I now understand that this is only a mod and free and an experiment. And i'm not that mad really i'll just start over again. But you have to realize that things will change when we pay for your game. You will carry more responsibility.