NovaDose

What would you like to see in the stand alone?

Everyone has likely heard the news about the stand alone game. What kind of improvements/changes would you like to see? I know there is already a suggestion thread, I just felt like posting this kind of stuff in there would be off topic since it pertains to the standalone game and not the mod. I'm sure some of this stuff has all ready been suggested for the mod, and may already be on the white board for coming changes. Moderators, please forgive me if that is the case. I will continuously update this post with new suggestions so check back every once in a while! Who knows, some of this stuff might actually make it into the game.

A few ground rules we should all agree on before we begin:

-Search the suggestions (or quick glance at the tl;dr) to see if your suggestion is all ready in.

-Leave the "no hackers", "fix bugs", "Arma3 Engine", blah blah out and try to post unique things that you would like to see.

-Lets assume that we all want more weapons, bigger/more maps, more vehicles, etc. All posts shouting MOAR! Weill be ignored.

-Anyone who suggests making the game "less difficult" will not only be ridiculed, but beaten up and have their beans taken.

-When you post a suggestion,post some description. Any post like "I want turtles, that would be cool" will be ignored.

-I try to respond directly to everyone (everyone who contributes) but sometimes I'm sure I miss some of you. Tell me if I do!

Suggestions

The Equipment

Inventory

-Your Primary Inventory: Carrying a tire, canteens, beans, and primary ammo on your person while also wearing a back pack that is equally full is a little over the top. Get rid of the personal inventory as it stands and instead adopt an inventory more like the secondary inventory slots. Your primary inventory would be a bit bigger than your secondary inventory; but similar in the fact that it would only be able to hold ammo for your primary and specific other items (food/water/medical supplies).

-Your Backpack: Make the size of all the backpacks a bit bigger to accommodate for the aforementioned change (maybe add 4-6 more slots of storage).

-Weight Driven Inventory: Your backpack + your personal inventory + your secondary inventory should all factor into a weight dynamic. The more weight you are carrying, the slower you run and the faster your stamina runs out.

-Expandable Primary and Secondary Inventories: As an example, a leg pouch that would add more side arm equipment slots, or a vest pouch for more primary equipment.

Melee Weapons

-Melee Weapons: This probably goes without saying. If I where surrounded by dead and only had a hunting knife you better believe I would use it.

-Throwable Melee Weapons: As long as it's realistic. No whipping a knife into a target while at a full clip run (have you tried that shit? it's hard!). Lets even go as far as to say that you would be able to hit a zed's chest at 50m while kneeling about every other time you threw. Seems about right?

-Improvised Melee Weapons: Maybe a board with a nail in it, or a lead pipe.

Guns

-A Realistic Ammo System: One thing that has always bugged me about games: When you get done firing a magazine of rounds you don't just through the empty mag on the ground and forget about it. I suggest that magazines are kept in the player's inventory as place holders even when empty. The player would then carry the rest of their ammo in a box, inside of their pack. You would empty any remaining rounds from your magazines, then reload them all completely when choosing an option similar to the "combine ammo" option in the mod. This eliminates any extra work you would have to do when say converting a 7 shot mag down to a 6 shot revolver mag. Since all bullets are stores in one collective, you have no need for fancy adjustments to account for 1 extra round per conversion

.-Less "Military" Equipment: Make the clothes, weapons, vehicles and locations a lot more "civilian". Items like camouflage, sniper rifles and jeeps should be an even rarer reward. Lowering the amount of ranged weapons (rifles and the like) and lowering the spawn rate of military weapons increases their value. This would normally make spawn-hopping even more prevalent. However, if you take into effect the suggestions farther down then spawn hopping becomes fruitless compared to the value of staying in a server until the wheels fall off of it.

-Gun Maintenance: If you truly mean that you want to stay as close to realism as you can then add gun maintenance. Every gun should start out with a chance to miss fire or jam, and the more it's fired, the more the chance increases. The better quality the gun, the less the chance. You would need a gun cleaning kit to clean your weapon. Granted, this wouldn't be something players did all the time; but it would definitely be something they wished they had done when their gun jams.

-Gun Customization: This seems like one that everyone is clamoring for. I too would love to see this. It's not just an AKM, it's an AKM with a reflex site, an extended mag, a muzzle suppressor, and a flashlight. Making these changes to your gun would require the necessary adapter parts. Those would also be a loot drop. In order to make the changes you would also need a fully stocked gun smithing kit.

-Tranquilizer Guns: Nuff said

Gear

-A Change of Starting Gear: A hunting knife (melee weapon). One bandage. A map. Everyone always has a map open in a browser anyway, lets cut out the middle man.

-Clothing: All clothing should be able to mix & match. For instance, you could carry a jacket with you to stay warm at night, maybe wear a bullet proof vest, gas mask, and flask jacket to raid a city. Perhaps you've walked holes into your shoes and it's time to find a new pair. This suggestion could also play into the temperature/sickness dynamic mentioned farther down and make your friends/enemies more easy to identify when you see them in the world. Clans could all agree on a certain garb as well, making team members even easier to ID.

-Stencils: You could mark your equipment and clothing. This could either be used for espionage or to avoid your mate doming you on the plains.

Other Equipment

-An In-Depth "Tools" System: Having to acquire more specialized tools to do a job would be awesome. I.E. a toolbox isn't the only thing needed. You would need a toolbox to start a collection of tools. A medical bag to start a medical kit collection. A gun smithing box to carry gun smithing tools in. In effect, you could say that some things can only be repaired with a full toolbox, some wounds can only be healed with a full med-kit, and so forth and so on. A system like this would add a sort of class-system to the game without the player having to specifically choose a class. This wouldn't lead to character regret because you can just trade or drop tools.

-Batteries: I wish I could find a flashlight, GPS, range finder, or NVGs in the real world that ran indefinitely. Sweet ass batteries you got thar brah. This needs a heavy dose of realism slathered on the top of it. In addition to this, hand crank or battery less devices become more valuable.

-Shopping Carts: (Or carts in general). Something that held a lot of shit but slowed you down. You always had to hide it when you left, hope it was there when you got back, then physically push it when you got to it. Sometimes you would even have to leave it behind.

-Notes Using Pen and Paper: To me, this is one of the best ideas in this thread. You could lead people on treasure hunts or wild goose chases; leave a note as bait for a sniper trap, leave ransom notes, leave farewell notes. All kinds of things become possible. This + Journals would be an amazing addition to an already stellar game.

-Candles and Lanterns: This would be very interesting. Candles cold either be carried, or set up on various things. They burn for a set amount of time, and only give off enough light to provide ambient lighting in a room. They would be abundant, and mostly used if the batteries die in your flash light. Gas powered lanterns would also be cool, for providing a light radius. I know lanterns run on oil and not gas. Relax.

-A One Shot Polaroid Camera: I, personally, think this would be really cool. The camera would have only one picture and the picture could be left anywhere or kept if the player wants to. Their are all kinds of interesting things that could be done with something like this.

The World

Flora and Fauna

-Hunting: Imagine hunting a deer. You would have to sneak up on it, shoot it, then track it by following the blood trail. When you arrive, maybe a bear has found your kill. Do you shoot the bear and risk it charging you, or just let it have it's fill and take what might be left over after?

-Fishing: I know this has been suggested multiple times for the mod but I think that fishing deserves revisiting here in the context of the stand alone.

-Gardening: Perhaps the whole gardening concept is a bit over done. However, those small plots of vegetables you find scattered about around homes should definitely be lootable.

Terrain and the Elements

-Streams and Rivers: Not much else needs to be said. All though I would like to add that they should be dynamic in the way the player interacts with them. If you jump into white water at the top of a mountain you will most likely either be beaten to death on rocks or drown. This plays even more so into the fact that it's not just the infected you need to worry about, and it's not just the bandits that want to kill you, but it's the map that wants you dead too.

-Caves: Not like minecraft, but something believable. The ones that are above ground would act as shelter for survivors as well as animals (re: wolves and bears). There could also be underwater caves to explore with the right kind of gear.

-Weather: Some thunderstorms should drop visibility to near zero, lighting should be glorious, fog could be so thick that you could cut it, snow could make it so cold you can feel your bones snapping IRL.

Bases and Command Centers

-Base Construction Using Blue Prints: Barricades and barbed wire are cool, but we should be able to build bases to some extent. The base's layouts can be predetermined and they can only be constructed with a large amount of materials and blue prints. Bases could even be added unto by finding more blue prints. The material cost should be extremely high and the blue prints should be extremely rare.

-Large Tents and Camouflage Nets: Multiple tent types. In addition to the standard tents their should be large tents for housing command centers and nets for providing camouflage for vehicles. Vehicle camouflage is crucial. I hate having to park a car in evergreen scrub knowing that it's not really that hidden at all.

-Locks and Lock Picking: You could use pad locks to secure safe boxes, and others could us a lock picking kit to get into it. Doors could also be locked and an even more rare variety of combo lock with 2, 3, or 4 digit combinations could also be an option.

-Traps: These would add a further element to the entire base building system. We have seen a hint of this with bear traps. How about some mines though, trip wires with bouncing bettys, even copper wire spoils for making electric fences. To some degree, a "build your own trap" system would be extremely interesting as well. MOAR! Shit, where did that come from?

-Breakable Barricades, Windows, and Wooden Doors: The barricades that players create should also be breakable barricades to some degree. Barbed wire would have no effect on a creature that continues to chase you after you've shot it's legs out. Zed should be able to plow through and/or over entrenchments.

-Static Weaponry: You should be able to find, repair, move, and set up heavy machine guns, anti-aircraft guns, and other heavy artillary. You would have to find the parts to fix it just like a vehicle. These items should never spawn in a usable condition, and always require engineers, gun smiths, and parts to fix them. Flood lights, sirens, loud speakers and the like could also fit into this category.

The Ruins of Civilization

-Generators: The individual cities' power should be able to be restored in various ways. For instance, you go to the power plant and get it cranking again, then you have to go to the transformers and get them operational. Once you have completed the circuit to the city, the power comes back on. This adds another very interesting dynamic to the game. If you increase the loot drop in a lit city as well as the zombie spawns you increase the risk/reward factor (and lets not forget, attract bandits). In addition you could have stand-alone generators that are able to be pulled behind a truck; or even small ones that can be carried (with a weight burden, as mentioned earlier). These "portable" generator types could be used to power a base's equipment or simply provide more juice for batteries. They would run on gasoline, making petrol even more valuable, and furthering the idea of gas as a commodity.

-Underground Environments: I know we've suggested bases and base building, I know this is something that has been suggested else where as well, but someone in this thread put it so elegantly that it must be in the OP or else I feel like I am robbing the sanctity of the thread and finger banging all that is good here. Imagine seeing a subway access. It's the quickest way across town. You can take the long way, get encountered, spend energy, and make it in the daylight; or you can go under ground, in the dark, and waste little time. Bandits would likely live down there. It would be far more lucrative for them to catch the fast travelers in a trap beneath the earth than stalk them outside in the light. The ramifications of under ground environments like this can not be under stated. These few lines typed here give them no justice.

-Cities: *sigh* a huge city themed map with sky scrapers, large buildings, sewers, subway tunnels, the whole nine.

-High Value Spawns Need More Risk: The high value areas should have dead that spawn inside of the buildings and not just outside.

-Random Loot Spawns: There should also be totally random locations around the map that have a much higher loot yield, higher even than military spawns but their locations should be far more obscure. This would give server hoppers less incentive to hop.

-Green Mountain: This local seems to be a favorite among the community. A lot of lore has sprung up from this place. It would be great to see something like this in the next game (since the game may not take place in Chernarus we may not be able to have "Green Mountain" specifically).

-Pharmacies: This kind of falls under the MOAR! flag but I'll include it anyway. Pharmacies would not be as stocked up as hospitals and would exist inside of smaller towns. Gun shops, super stores, and other buildings should be added in as well.

The Inhabitants

Self Defense

-Fighting: Punching, kicking, pushing an enemy back, anything. If I woke up on a beach with a screaming lunatic running at me I would, at the very least, sissy fight him like he's never been sissy faught before. I would not go running down the road as hard as I could. Being able to put up a fight against one zombie is one thing, multiple zed would overwhelm you extremely quickly. Granted, I don't think you should be able to completely kill one in a 1v1 fight without administering one hell of a beating first. However, being able to defend yourself better than a prissy pants twelve year old should definitely be in the game.

-Silent Take Downs: This is a great idea. Crawling around near zombies is suspenseful. Trying to get close enough to kill it is a whole new ball game. Imagine creeping up to a survivor like that. There should also be a restraining function for use against other players. You should be able take someone at gun point and make their friends back down. Or hold someone hostage, shoot their friend, then blow their brains out. This would, of course, be entirely hingent on a working Anti-Alt+F4 solution (which is in this thread like all other threads ever)

Movement

-Fatigue: A stamina system is woefully needed IMHO and others as well apparently. Being able to run non-stop is a bit too much. Even though if you run too long there is a slight decrease in speed I don't feel this is enough. Players should only be able to run for an average (military average) amount of time and at an average (military) top speed. Sprinting should be in bursts, and should deplete your stamina reserves faster. This would make it so that players had to plan a trip from point A to B. No more getting a compass bearing, double tapping the "W" key, and drinking mountain dew until you get there. You will need food, water, rest, etc. to make the trip. It becomes an adventure. Normally one could say that this would lead to boring times of just waiting. Well, not when you take into effect the other suggestions in this thread.

-Swimming: So you can run 225km without stopping? Throw you in the water and you can barely paddle. Players should be able to swim well if they are not wearing a pack, carrying weapons, or wearing a full outfit of heavy clothing. They should also be able to dive, both with and without scuba gear.

-Climbing: Players should not only be able to climb trees, but climb over fences to some degree as well. On top of that, they shouldn't feel like a one legged man when trying to step over a small fence.

Life and Death

-Medical Simulation: More wound variety. Having your arm shot should have different ramifications than your leg. It should also have a different fix. Maybe it's morphine + bandage with two doses of antibiotics to prevent infection and enough pain killer to knock you out for the surgery. Stitches should also be a medical drop for extreme wounds. Also, varying levels of infection/ailment/sickness. You should be able to get infected (leading to eventually joining the zed), get a cold (which I suppose you already can, or maybe it's the flu), pneumonia, maybe even get gangrene if you don't take antibiotics after fixing a wound, etc. etc.

-Bury Body: Hide body should be handled differently. You should only be able to hide the body INSIDE of something, so that (if the victim searches around enough) he can find his stuff. There should also be an option to "bury body". You should have to have an entrenching tool, it should take a fair amount of time, and you should only be able to do it in dirt meaning that you have to drag the body over to the ground. Some Bandits (and I am not complaining about Banditry, it's crucial to the game) just kill for the fuck of it. That's fine, leave my loot to me and rack one more kill up for yourself, whatever. These ass-hats that don't even take a damn thing off of you (and I've seen you on youtube) then hide the body just to troll...now that's just dirty. Make em work for it. Also, being able to bury a strong box could be interesting. Especially if locks are implemented.

-Dog Tags: When you kill a player you should be able to take their dog tags as a keep-sake.

-Grave Stones: In addition to burying a body you should be able to construct a grave stone to remember them by. The grave would include their name, the amount of time they survived, and an epitaph.

-Dismemberment: This is, after all, a zombie game. Lets get some gore in it. When you shoot someone in the leg with a .50 cal round it should blow their leg off. It's going to kill them anyway, so why not.

The Infected

-Roving Undead Hordes: Large groups of zed occasionally spawn and meander around the map. This would be EPIC. One of the first things that sold me on this game was that image of all the dead coming over that hill. I've taken them on in groups of that size, but never all at once (I fire the Einfield, then start shooting as they come through the doors). A roving horde adds so much more to the game too. Lets take it in the context of hunting. You are out hunting as mentioned above, you take that shot, the deer runs, and then you hear it. The undead horde cresting over the ridge. Time to bug out.

-Undead Movement Indoors: They're slowed inside due to a "glitch" (aka feature) right? Lets not completely remove that. They could all try to rush a hall at the same time, restricting their movement. One zed moving through a house could move as fast as it could on the street but maybe bump into walls too. It should be more dangerous trying to coral them into a home than it is now. They should trip over furnitures, break through and climb through windows, and break down doors.

-Better Loot On Zeds: What kind of hobos got infected by this virus? All they ever seem to have is empty cans and empty whiskey bottles. The occasional can of food or drink is nice, ammo is nice too, but maybe throw in a small (very small) chance for something useful. A compass, matches, etc.

Other

-More Functionality for Dogs: It's been suggested here that they should be able to detect a bandit when they are near by. A sort of "sixth sense". This would make people want to have a companion even more. I'm sure there are lots of ways to add to the functionality of your k-9. I will add them as they come in.

-Beards: Lets not mince words here. The people want beards. Ke$ha loves beards. Therefore the community is now Ke$ha.

The Vehicles

Transportation

-Horses: They should have to be fed, kept sheltered, watered, the whole nine. You shouldn't be able to run a horse indefinitely, and not run them up super steep terrain either. This adds an aspect that goes beyond the fuel/parts dynamic of standard vehicles. Perhaps you could even include saddle bags and a chance for them to buck you when scared and break your legs.

-Paddle Boats, Kayaks, Etc: Those boats you see flipped over on the shore should be ride-able (yes, I know they are just static elements). Having a quiet boat that runs on man-power like the bike would be great, even if it where slower than walking. If rivers and rapids are implemented then they could become a quick (and dangerous) way down a mountain. Rubber rafts would also be great, especially one small enough to be deflated and put in a pack.

-Ability To Attach Weapons: I mentioned earlier about static weapons. Well, you should also be able to retrofit those weapons to vehicles. Anything from a mounted heavy machine gun in the back of a car, to an AA gun in a flat bed truck.

Other

-Fuel As a Commodity: Make fuel more scarce. Doing so could make it a commodity of sorts. "I'll trade you a jerry can for some food" would add an interesting dynamic to the game. That said, the large fuel tanks that contain gas would have to be randomly either filled or empty to keep people from farming them. They would also have to be limited in their supply, (i.e. you are only ever going to get so many jerry cans out of a single tank).

-Events: There should be an event that plays when a helicopter goes down, players shouldn't just find one in a field. You could do the same for planes, or trucks, medical triage tents (using NPCs of course) or anything of the sort. This not only provides those who witness the event an opportunity, but those who would rape and pillage the opportunist's corpse an equal advantage. It would encourage people to stay logged in for longer periods as well to some extent. This, I feel, is a great suggestion. Quarantine zones, military convoys, etc. should all also be included.

-Locked Vehicles: Occasionally vehicles should spawn with the keys in them. Those vehicles could be locked, and only accessed by picking the lock or using the key. Others would have to hot wired and could not be locked (because you don't have the keys).

-Ability to Remove Vehicle Parts: Parts should be able to be taken from a vehicle and used on another vehicle. This is a great, idea. Imagine parking your car somewhere outside of town, then coming back to all the tires missing.

The Game

...you just lost it. (I couldn't resist)

-"Quests": (For lack of a better term): I heard about a great suggestion the other day. I wish I could link to the post, but I can't find it. The guy basically suggested that the grid coordinates that are repeated on the radio would actually be "quest-line" loot drops. At these locations you would find documents (35mm film, letters, stuff like that) that would tell a piece of a person's story as the out break was happening. You could tell the story from multiple perspectives like that and give end-gamers something to seek out.

-A Zed/Survivor Kill Count With Dayz Lived For Your Current Character: A number displayed by your name that tells everyone in the server your z-kills, murders, and bandit kill counter. It doesn't do a damn thing either way for you, but at least if you die people might shit a brick. The number of days lived should be displayed to everyone in the server when you die in the form of something like "CoastNoob was killed. He had survived for 1 day."

-Overall Player Stat Tracking: Total number of kills, number of survivors played, distance walked with all characters, etc. etc.

-Lonewolf Only Servers: For servers that want to be lonewolf only you could hide the server names but make it so you can favorite a server and give it your own name so you could return later. That way you couldn't just give the name to all your friends. To prevent people from server hopping to find their friend's server, you could randomize the joining process. For instance, the game picks the best 5 populated servers and rotates between only those, so even if you hop and hop, you might never find your friend's server.

-Alt+F4ing: Obligatory. 10 second despawn time, 15 seconds until you can join a new server total. You kneel when logging out, and a message appears server wide that you are leaving. After ten seconds, you vanish and are logged out. The additional 5 seconds (for a total of 15 seconds) acts as a buffer. During those ten seconds you are a sitting duck, and if you die, you are (of course) lootable. Implementing something like this (I know this is already on the horizon) will make everyone ride with the training wheels off for a change.

-Server Hoping Prevention: Make the area within 200m of any and all loot spawns non-spawnable for players. If you log out near one one of these zones, then when you log back in you would be somewhere safe outside of that 200m area. The entire area of any small to large city should be off limits in this manner also. This not only prevents server hopping the best loot spots, but it helps to prevent people from spawning in someone else's cross hairs to some degree. Also, the fear of spawning out in the open if you log out in a building would make people want to log out in the woods instead.[/spoiler]

tl;dr

The Equipment

Inventory: New inventory system, a bigger backpack, weight-based inventory, expandable ammunition inventories.

Melee Weapons: Better melee weapons, throwable melee weapons, improvised melee weapons.

Guns: Realistic ammo system, less military grade drops, gun maintenance, gun customization, tranquilizer guns.

Gear: Different starting gear, mix/match clothing, stencils.

Other Equipment: Indepth tool system, batteries, shopping carts, pen and paper notes, candles and lanterns, one shot polaroid cameras.

The World

Flora and Fauna: Hunting, fishing, gardening.

Terrain and the Elements: Streams and rivers, caves, better weather.

Bases and Command Centers: Base construction using blue prints, large tents and camouflage tarps, locks and lock picking, traps, breakable barricades, windows, and wooden doors, static weaponry.

The ruins of Civilization: Generators, under ground environments, cities, high value spawns with more risk, random any where loot drops, green mountain, pharmacies.

The Inhabitants

Self Defense: Fighting, silent take downs.

Movement: Fatigue, swimming, climbing.

Life and Death: Medical simulation, burrying bodies, dog tags, grave stones, dismemberment.

The Infected: Roving undead hordes, undead movement indoors, better loot on zeds.

Other: More dog functionality, beards.

The Vehicles

Transportation: Horses, paddle boats, attach static guns to vehicles.

Other: Fuel more scarce, random events, locked vehicles, ability to remove parts from a car.

The Game

"Quests", stats per survivor, overall player stats, lonewolf only servers, alt+f4'ing, server hopping.

RPG Elements

The majority of people ITT think that this should be incorporated in some form. However, there has been a lot of talk about what form it should take and how much of an impact it should have on the over all game. It's my understanding that Rocket has stated that he doesn't want to get bogged down in RPG elements. I can understand that, and I think most of you can too. Also, the competition coming up on the horizon already wants to adopt that form of game play. Taking those two things into consideration it's easy to see that any kind of class/job system would have be nearly entirely transparent to the player. There would be no EXP gaining or spending of ability points or skill trees or anything along those lines. Any benefit gained from a class/job would have be very, very little. Character regret would be an issue, and is something that needs to be addressed. There are a lot of problems with a system like that, so lets start talking about them. Keeping this stuff in mind, lets move forward with planning a class/job system anyway.

In my opinion, you could choose your "job" at when creating your character. I think this could be easily done (and more importantly, changed) by giving you the lowest tier tool box available for that class (read the part in the suggestions about a more indepth tool system). So far, here are some of the class ideas that I've seen that I feel would fit in.

Navigator, Engineer, Hunter, Medic, Mechanic, Gunsmith.

Please feel free to add to this list. It's also important to note that it's been mentioned that each "class" could receive a perk that varies depending on the player's humanity. While I like this dynamic, I think it would limit lonewolf players in the respect that not grouping up is essentially a handy cap. As always, your thoughts and suggestions are not only welcome, but crucial to this thread.

EDIT: Many, many changes have been made to the OP. Some of the key points of debate are whether or not Classes, Skills, and Perks have their place in DayZ. Also, I would like to point out that I snuck another suggestion of my own in there. It is under "The Equipment" > "Guns" > "A Realistic Ammo System". Please read it, let me know what you think, and we will either improve on it, or take it completely out. Thanks! Also, I haven't forgotten about giving credit where it is due to the others who have made this thread possible. I swear I will get around to it as soon as I can.

Edited by NovaDose
  • Like 29

Not as many ranged weapon spawn location

Not as many military weapons

More vehicles spawning at a time

Fuel needs to be like a currency.

• Like 4

Not as many ranged weapon spawn location

Not as many military weapons

Not sure if I agree with these exactly. Maybe just make the spawns more infested with the infected? I do like the idea of making the game more difficult though (which this would help to accomplish).

More vehicles spawning at a time

Fuel needs to be like a currency.

I like fuel being a currency, but more vehicles would mean that it would be much easier to get one. At their current rate they are difficult to find, which makes them more coveted. If everyone had a car it wouldn't be much of an Apocalypse in my mind.

Using the engine of Arma 3

Isn't that a long way off? If it means waiting even longer for this game then I have to say a heartily disagree. Arma2 is nice, it will do the trick for now imho.

Edited by NovaDose

Those are cool suggestions. Here are mine:

Less emphasis on military: Make the clothes, weapons, vehicles and locations a lot more civilian, and stuff like cammo, sniper rifles and jeeps into a rare reward. Especially night vision.

More "medical" sim: I would like to see more wound variety just for the sake of team building, and also better ability to disable zombies with careful shooting.

More world alteration: Barricades and barbed wire are cool. I would also love to see restoring power, clearing zombies (for a while) and setting up bases.

• Like 7

Those are cool suggestions. Here are mine:

Less emphasis on military: Make the clothes, weapons, vehicles and locations a lot more civilian, and stuff like cammo, sniper rifles and jeeps into a rare reward. Especially night vision.

More "medical" sim: I would like to see more wound variety just for the sake of team building, and also better ability to disable zombies with careful shooting.

More world alteration: Barricades and barbed wire are cool. I would also love to see restoring power, clearing zombies (for a while) and setting up bases.

I like all of your suggestions very much. Updating OP. Anyone else want to upvote/downvote anything in the OP?

I would love to see Zombies/Infected become as big a threat as other players.

I would also like to see them spawn anywhere on the map

I would also like to see huge hordes of them randomly placed on the map (40+).

I would like to see huge indoor areas, shopping malls, airports etc

I would like the see large residental ranches that the user can place defences on (Board up windows etc)

• Like 6

Get rid of that debug monitor display

Better animations that are not as clunky

More interactivity with cities- using generators, locking doors (possibly), and more overgrowth

More group play mechanics- radio communication and GPS locating/sharing coordinates

More immersion- crashed military supply convoys make more sense than so many crashed Helios, the ability to leave notes for players to read (including dev created), overrun military quarantine outposts

Improved zombies- they have to break open doors, hitting in the move, zombie life cycle as rocket mentioned, scarier looking, more numerous

More maps which all have location dependent weapons. (no m4's all over a Russian map)

Customization (huge): clothing like medical masks, jackets, vests, and backpacks with unique purpose behind them. Weapons should be able to be repaired and customized. Should show how the world is in ruins- flashlights should be taped to rifles, guns should look worn, etc.

Edited by evoxtom
  • Like 2

gun customization (i know someone said this before). like you find a flashlight, find some ducktape. flashlight+gun+ducktape= weapon with a flashlight (duh?). you could do this with grenade launchers, scopes grips and more (imagine a shotgun with a makarow taped to the side :))

Armed Vehicles??? Those may be to powerful but it would add very interesting gamemplay. The scenarios that could unfold are unimaginable!

• Like 1

(imagine a shotgun with a makarow taped to the side :))

I dont think that would work very well haha! The the tape would become insecure after a few shots in my opinion. Good idea none the less

I'd settle for different enterable buildings and more of them, no zombies glitching through walls, doors and fences, customisable characters and some sort of base-building.

• Like 1

I would love to see Zombies/Infected become as big a threat as other players.

I would also like to see them spawn anywhere on the map

I would also like to see huge hordes of them randomly placed on the map (40+).

I'm going to add this. I really like the horde idea, especially if they were like a roaming horde that walked around aimlessly. If you saw you you wouldn't dare take a shot to avoid alerting them.

I would like to see huge indoor areas, shopping malls, airports etc

I would like the see large residental ranches that the user can place defences on (Board up windows etc)

All though I would like to see this too, I think it kind of fits into the "more/bigger" side of things. Hopefully the dev team is wise enough to include larger indoor areas on top of more indoor areas. If someone else seconds this I guess I'll add it though.

prettier thunderdomes

How about more weather that is also more dynamic and attractive? I'd love to be snowed in by a blizzard worrying where my next meal is coming from.

Get rid of that debug monitor display

That is there because the game is in alpha. It is not a permanent feature.

More interactivity with cities- using generators, locking doors (possibly), and more overgrowth

Adding locks. All ready have generators in the OP.

More group play mechanics- radio communication and GPS locating/sharing coordinates

I think everyone would like to see more team play. I won't add this because I'm sure that is something they will include in the final product. A way to team up seems so obvious how could they not? Radios are in game, just not functional in the way that everyone wants to see them yet.

More immersion- crashed military supply convoys make more sense than so many crashed Helios, the ability to leave notes for players to read (including dev created), overrun military quarantine outposts

Even though I feel this falls into the more! more! realm of things I'm going to add it (in a sense).

Improved zombies- they have to break open doors, hitting in the move, zombie life cycle as rocket mentioned, scarier looking, more numerous

This will likely be in the final game. I mean, I don't know that for sure; but I would assume that is the case.

More maps which all have location dependent weapons. (no m4's all over a Russian map)

MOAR! MOAR!

Customization (huge): clothing like medical masks, jackets, vests, and backpacks with unique purpose behind them. Weapons should be able to be repaired and customized. Should show how the world is in ruins- flashlights should be taped to rifles, guns should look worn, etc.

Altering the similar part of the OP to include this.

Edited by NovaDose
  • Like 1

I just thought of this. The ability to use a flashlight without storing your pistol inside your backpack. Same goes for pulling out a hatchet without storing your long arm in your back pack. I have encountered countless situations were if I could've simply pulled out my hatchet i would have been able to stealth kill a zombie instead of shooting it.

• Like 3

Repairable vehicles should be more common, however parts should have to be cross-salvaged, and fuel should be much more rare.

• Like 1

Breakable doors and barricades. Zombies banging on windows and smashing into buildings etc.

Underground tunnels, bunkers, cities. (without loading a new scene if possible)

Melee attacks - punch , kick , push back. AND/OR pistol whip/rifle bash attack.

Ragdoll physics and Arma III engine.

Edited by testsubject81
  • Like 3

static weaponry like heavy machine guns or searchlights. A player would have to find the part likes a car. The should NOT spawn in a usable condition.

• Like 2

I dont think that would work very well haha! The the tape would become insecure after a few shots in my opinion. Good idea none the less

maybe find something to weld it together

I just thought of this. The ability to use a flashlight without storing your pistol inside your backpack. Same goes for pulling out a hatchet without storing your long arm in your back pack.

I hope this is in the final product. I have being able to use melee weapons in the OP but I'll edit it to be more clear, add weapon switching, and add the bit about the flashlight.

Repairable vehicles should be more common, however parts should have to be cross-salvaged, and fuel should be much more rare.

I'll change the related bit in the OP to reflect this. I, however, don't think that repairable vehicles should be more common, at their current rate they are coveted. However, you are the second person to say that. If I get more upvotes for it I will add it.

Breakable doors and barricades. Zombies banging on windows and smashing into buildings etc.

Underground tunnels, bunkers, cities. (without loading a new scene if possible)

Already in the OP

Melee attacks - punch , kick , push back.

Updating OP

Ragdoll physics and Arma III engine.

I remember reading that rag doll physics would be something Rocket would want to see in a stand alone game already.

static weaponry like heavy machine guns or searchlights. A player would have to find the part likes a car. The should NOT spawn in a usable condition.

updating OP, great suggestion