So I don't doubt most of you have seen that DayZ is going standalone and will be following the minecraft ethos for updating and pricing.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but this mod wasn't free for me. I paid £20 for ARMA2 and ARMA2: Operation Arrowhead and haven't played more than an hour of the actual game. All the time I've got on Steam was playing DayZ mod.

My point here is this, people who purchased ARMA2 just to play DayZ shouldn't have to then buy DayZ when it goes standalone.

How do you differentiate between people who purchased for DayZ and people who already had it? Difficult one, I know. You could set up a system where people provide proof of purchase after DayZ was released, and they get it for free. But that is incredibly time consuming. Another method is just having it free upon public release for a limited period of time. Or at a heavily discounted rate (£2.50-£5).

To sum up it's not fair to expect people to pay for this game twice, and I don't want to. Any thoughts?

• Like 5

Rocket said tons of times that there would be a standalone game alpha by september/october....

• Like 1

I also bought ARMA II: CO just for DayZ, and while I can see your point, it really isn't Rocket's fault that we bought a game to play his mod, lol. I guess how grudgingly I part with my cash depends on how different the standalone version is from the mod.

• Like 5

Read this carefully.

You chose to buy Arma to take part in the Alpha testing phase of a mod using the Arma engine. No one asked you to do this, it was never advertised. You chose to take part based on media hype. I've read the announcement and people that are taking part in the testing phase will receive heavy discounts. I'm not sure what else you can expect.

• Like 8

I did the same as you but let's be fair. Rocket gained zero money making this game. None of the money you paid was given to him. Of course I'll pay for the final version

• Like 4

I would like to say this is going to happen but rocket has been asked this question (can people who bought ArmA 2 just for DayZ get it free/discounted).

His response was more of a: we can't/probably wont, but our aim would be to make the standalone version far better than the mod to give people incentive to buy it.

Edit: And as mentioned, none of the ArmA 2 money (asides from probably his wages from Bohemia) went towards DayZ/rocket, I shall be forking out to help support the production of what can potentially be the best FPS yet.

Edited by JamesButlin
  • Like 3

If they got more aggressive about banning hackers, I'd pay triple. I'm definately not buying 2 copies right away (1 for me, 1 for husband on different computers) until I see how rampant the hacking is.

Everybody paid for ArmA-

So I don't doubt most of you have seen that DayZ is going standalone and will be following the minecraft ethos for updating and pricing.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but this mod wasn't free for me. I paid £20 for ARMA2 and ARMA2: Operation Arrowhead and haven't played more than an hour of the actual game. All the time I've got on Steam was playing DayZ mod.

My point here is this, people who purchased ARMA2 just to play DayZ shouldn't have to then buy DayZ when it goes standalone.

How do you differentiate between people who purchased for DayZ and people who already had it? Difficult one, I know. You could set up a system where people provide proof of purchase after DayZ was released, and they get it for free. But that is incredibly time consuming. Another method is just having it free upon public release for a limited period of time. Or at a heavily discounted rate (£2.50-£5).

To sum up it's not fair to expect people to pay for this game twice, and I don't want to. Any thoughts?

Hey buddy, unlike you I bough ArmA2 at release, paying full price.

I also bought Operation Arrowhead,

I also bought BAF,

I also bough DMC.

I might buy ACR.

I am going to buy ArmA3

And I am going to buy DayZ standalone.

I don't expect Rocket to work for free and I don't think I deserve the standalone for free.

But if anyone deserved DayZ for free, the $ I paid versus whatever little you paid, I at the very least deserve it more than you.

You paid $20, how many hours you squeezed out of DayZ by now. DayZ is a mod for the actual game, I hate to be the one that tells you this, but whenever you're playing DayZ, you're actually playing ArmA2. If you don't think you're getting enough value out of your game, don't waste anymore. :)

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 6

I'm looking VERY forward to this "Stand Alone" DayZ...

I only hope that it is being developed on the ArmA 3 engine though...(Real Virtuality 4)

I'm a HUGE ArmA 2 fan, but lets face it that engine is outdated and this is my ONLY possible concern.

Rocket has done a wonderful thing for gamers/modders EVERYWHERE by bringing this vision to the light of day(Z)!

Needless to say he and the "Team" have my FULL support as a gamer/modder without a doubt! (BTW: screw that War Z game lol!)

So all I can say now is..."SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!"...where do I pre-order guys? :D

Edited by Ash712
  • Like 2

yeah, same here. altho i had an idea with this. the game could monitor the time a player has been playing (through the player ID or something) and if the player has playd dayz long enough (showing that he is an active player) he would get dayZ for free when it goes standalone.

Real Virtuality is a pretty modular engine.

My bet is on a Arma 2 with features from Arma 3 added.

If you really love the game, you'd be able to donate a couple of pounds for the whole game.

It's not like you're getting ripped off for it, you will get alot of gameplay for that amount of money..

I paid £24 for Arma X edition purely for this mod back in early April after hearing whispers about it from our Arma 2 gamers in our community. I dont resent paying for a full separate release to be honest taking into consideration how many hours of gameplay I've had so far and will have with a less buggy "proper" game. It's only fair really. I do sincerely hope there are better anti-hack systems built into the game though!

Also hope theres going to be a new map, US/UK based with lots of cities as well as dense woodland!

Rocket said tons of times that there would be a standalone game alpha by september/october....

When and where did he say that? It's always been the goal of the mod to go stand alone but I've never seen any serious deadlines or targets provided.

Edited by Box

When and where did he say that?

He mentioned it in a couple of interviews, but he has always been careful with saying stuff without any actual content backing it up. So I always figured he meant that by September he would have some kind of "official" statement about the standalone.

I already bought and owned Arma 2 and CO for the game. DayZ was just an extra 200 hours of playing for me. I will without a doubt buy the standalone.

• Like 1

Stop being so entitled.

You never bought DayZ.

Even if you bought 2 games JUST to play DayZ,

you still only paid for ARMA 2 and ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead.

You'll have to buy DayZ just like everybody else.

Because none of us have paid for DayZ, yet.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man
  • Like 1

Stop being so entitled.

You never bought DayZ.

Even if you bought 2 games JUST to play DayZ,

you still only paid for ARMA 2 and ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead.

You'll have to buy DayZ just like everybody else.

Because none of us have paid for DayZ, yet.

I really think some people just don't understand. For some reason, even when presented with the facts, they still insist the have payed to play DayZ.

• Like 2

I agree. That would be really unfair. Good thing we haven't payed once yet.

• Like 3

I also bought ARMA II: CO just for DayZ, and while I can see your point, it really isn't Rocket's fault that we bought a game to play his mod, lol. I guess how grudgingly I part with my cash depends on how different the standalone version is from the mod.

sadly this is the truth

yeah, same here. altho i had an idea with this. the game could monitor the time a player has been playing (through the player ID or something) and if the player has playd dayz long enough (showing that he is an active player) he would get dayZ for free when it goes standalone.

That's a terrible idea that would be exploited!

I ask this again in yet another thread : Why do some of you feel you should get a FREE game?

Most of the time it's coming from the mouths of people who purchased ArmA 2 etc. just for this *FREE* mod!

Now think they should get a FREE game because most choose NOT to play/enjoy the two FULL games they purchased?

^I just don't understand the majorly flawed logic... :huh:

• Like 1

Such a senseless discussion about this whole pricing thing. As a stand alone game YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR IT. There is no alternative.

• Like 1

The only thing to tear me away from the game would be an insane price point for this game. I mean, yeah, I never even knew what Arma2 was, let alone Arma, or Arma3(which #3 looks beautiful) but, regardless. I knew nothing of Arma, but i knew i had to buy it and operation arrowhead, and I did so... fully knowing that I was buying a game, with the expectation of playing a mod... Now a new game is coming out, based on the mod...

Please Take my money!!!

I mean, hopefully its not toooo expensive. But, they should get paid to do the work. And, perhaps with a bigger budget, they can add better things in to the game. Like a hatchet, that doesn't sound like a pistol?\

• Like 1

Wow. Massive entitlement.

As has been repeated numerous times, you never paid for DayZ. You paid for ArmA 2 CO. It doesn't matter if you don't play ArmA 2, that is what you purchased.

That's like buying Half-Life, getting Counter-Strike, and then being pissy that a stand-alone came out because you "paid to play Counter-Strike". Oddly enough, I did not see much, if any whining about that...

Read this carefully.

You chose to buy Arma to take part in the Alpha testing phase of a mod using the Arma engine. No one asked you to do this, it was never advertised. You chose to take part based on media hype. I've read the announcement and people that are taking part in the testing phase will receive heavy discounts. I'm not sure what else you can expect.

If you truly believe that, you're impressively naive. To think DayZ is just "an alpha mod" now is insane. It's brought 1 million sales of a game which was not selling in the slightest. DayZ is way more massive than the Alpha mod it started out as, and the plans for the future reflect this.

I did the same as you but let's be fair. Rocket gained zero money making this game. None of the money you paid was given to him. Of course I'll pay for the final version

Aside from the comfy bonus he'll no doubt be getting, the promotions that are foreseen, and the profits of DayZ when it does go full release? Yeah, no money at all.

I would like to say this is going to happen but rocket has been asked this question (can people who bought ArmA 2 just for DayZ get it free/discounted).

His response was more of a: we can't/probably wont, but our aim would be to make the standalone version far better than the mod to give people incentive to buy it.

Edit: And as mentioned, none of the ArmA 2 money (asides from probably his wages from Bohemia) went towards DayZ/rocket, I shall be forking out to help support the production of what can potentially be the best FPS yet.

If they are going to sell it at full price (~£40 here in the UK) then it's gonna have to be absolutely perfect. And there is no way in hell people in the Arma office said "Hey, your mod has sold a million copies of the game, but we're not giving you ANY money to develop it further" then you, sir, are an idiot. If Rocket expects all 1 million of us to buy ARMA2 which funds development of DayZ standalone, then sell it for full price and pocket all the sales as profits then, wow, dick move.

Everybody paid for ArmA-

Hey buddy, unlike you I bough ArmA2 at release, paying full price.

I also bought Operation Arrowhead,

I also bought BAF,

I also bough DMC.

I might buy ACR.

I am going to buy ArmA3

And I am going to buy DayZ standalone.

I don't expect Rocket to work for free and I don't think I deserve the standalone for free.

But if anyone deserved DayZ for free, the $ I paid versus whatever little you paid, I at the very least deserve it more than you.

You paid $20, how many hours you squeezed out of DayZ by now. DayZ is a mod for the actual game, I hate to be the one that tells you this, but whenever you're playing DayZ, you're actually playing ArmA2. If you don't think you're getting enough value out of your game, don't waste anymore. :)

The fact is, I would entirely disagree. You are less entitled to DayZ free than I. And here's my logic:

You purchased all that ARMA content because you wanted to play it. I HAD to purchase it to play DayZ, and I have not enjoyed any ARMA time I've played. When you purchased upon release, you covered production costs and profits for the development of ARMA2. When I purchased, my money went to development of DayZ. You can come back and say "Well, no, you bought ARMA and the money will go to Bohemia" then I refer to the reply I made above: "And there is no way in hell people in the Arma office said "Hey, your mod has sold a million copies of the game, but we're not giving you ANY money to develop it further" then you, sir, are an idiot."

I never said I expected him to work for free. I bought ARMA 2 JUST for DayZ, that's where my money should come from. If they so desperately wanted DayZ to be a free to play mod, then they should have provided the engine and all the files to run it for free, and you shouldn't have had to buy ARMA2. Which is not possible, so it's not a stance they can take.

An obvious solution, but easily exploited. I don't think there is a solution to the problem of "who bought ARMA 2 just for DayZ?".

• Like 1