If you really love the game, you'd be able to donate a couple of pounds for the whole game.

It's not like you're getting ripped off for it, you will get alot of gameplay for that amount of money..

I did donate a couple of pounds, I donated £20 when I bought ARMA2/CO.

NO

Eloquent.

I already bought and owned Arma 2 and CO for the game. DayZ was just an extra 200 hours of playing for me. I will without a doubt buy the standalone.

Well you've got the best position, you actually like ARMA 2 and I doubt you minded paying what you did for it. What about the vast majority of people who paid for ARMA2, but don't like it?

Stop being so entitled.

You never bought DayZ.

Even if you bought 2 games JUST to play DayZ,

you still only paid for ARMA 2 and ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead.

You'll have to buy DayZ just like everybody else.

Because none of us have paid for DayZ, yet.

I can write big, too!

This is an idiotic stance. If there was an option to pay LESS for the ability to play ONLY DayZ, then I would have bought that. As it was, I was forced to buy ARMA 2, a game I do not want, and therefore hadn't purchased, if I wanted to play DayZ.

While you are technically correct in saying I have only purchased ARMA 2 and ARMA 2: OA, you are realistically completely wrong.

I really think some people just don't understand. For some reason, even when presented with the facts, they still insist the have payed to play DayZ.

As said above, technically correct, yes, but still not a realistic stance.

I agree. That would be really unfair. Good thing we haven't payed once yet.

Same again, I feel I have paid for it already.

I also bought ARMA II: CO just for DayZ, and while I can see your point, it really isn't Rocket's fault that we bought a game to play his mod, lol. I guess how grudgingly I part with my cash depends on how different the standalone version is from the mod.

I do agree it isn't his 'fault', but ethically, he really should do something about it. If he expects people to pay £20 to test/play an alpha, then shell out another £40 for a stand-alone game, he's as bad as EA/Ubisoft etc.

That's a terrible idea that would be exploited!

I ask this again in yet another thread : Why do some of you feel you should get a FREE game?

Most of the time it's coming from the mouths of people who purchased ArmA 2 etc. just for this *FREE* mod!

Now think they should get a FREE game because most choose NOT to play/enjoy the two FULL games they purchased?

^I just don't understand the majorly flawed logic... :huh:

Because 95% of the DayZ playerbase would NEVER have purchased ARMA2/CO if it wasn't for DayZ. The number may not be right, but it's an irrefutable fact that the large portion of the players are only playing DayZ. They made a pretty bad (in my opinion) game, which is reflected in the sales, and then one guy made a good mod. And it's not a case of choosing not to play ARMA2/OA, I have played it, I do not enjoy it.

Wow. Massive entitlement.

As has been repeated numerous times, you never paid for DayZ. You paid for ArmA 2 CO. It doesn't matter if you don't play ArmA 2, that is what you purchased.

That's like buying Half-Life, getting Counter-Strike, and then being pissy that a stand-alone came out because you "paid to play Counter-Strike". Oddly enough, I did not see much, if any whining about that...

Well the difference there is that Half Life was an excellent game, and ARMA2/CO doesn't hold a candle to it. If ARMA2 had actually been a very good game, I would not expect to get DayZ standalone for free.

And thus ends the longest quote train I've seen on a forum.

Edited by Finray

Worth noting that BI are working with Rocket to develop DayZ as a full game. So you paid BI for Arma II and you'll be paying them again for DayZ, not Rocket.

Given that BI are getting the money in both cases, it actually becomes a lot more reasonable to ask for some kind of discount.

And indirectly, anyone who brought Arma II for this has actually paid Rocket, since it's led to him getting hired by BI, being made project lead, and getting to create his game properly.

Edited by Photolysis

-snip-

it doesn't matter what you think. At all.

From a legal standpoint; DayZ is a mod for ARMA 2 and ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead. You bought those games to play DayZ.

You did not buy DayZ.

it doesn't matter what you think. At all.

From a legal standpoint; DayZ is a mod for ARMA 2 and ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead. You bought those games to play DayZ.

You did not buy DayZ.

Okay, keep hammering down that road, I'll be ignoring you now because you're clearly too stupid to realise I acknowledged that you are technically correct when you say I bought ARMA 2 and played DayZ, yada yada, but anyone who's not got a stick up their ass will see that no, that's a dumb way to look at it.

If they are going to sell it at full price (~£40 here in the UK) then it's gonna have to be absolutely perfect. And there is no way in hell people in the Arma office said "Hey, your mod has sold a million copies of the game, but we're not giving you ANY money to develop it further" then you, sir, are an idiot. If Rocket expects all 1 million of us to buy ARMA2 which funds development of DayZ standalone, then sell it for full price and pocket all the sales as profits then, wow, dick move.

How come I gotta repeat the most basics over and over?

It's today's headline for christ sake.

Minecraft model.

Standalone gets released in alpha.

Price reflect level of completion.

If you buy the standalone in early development, you get a major discount.

If you buy the finished version, you pay full price.

The fact is, I would entirely disagree. You are less entitled to DayZ free than I. And here's my logic:

You purchased all that ARMA content because you wanted to play it. I HAD to purchase it to play DayZ, and I have not enjoyed any ARMA time I've played. When you purchased upon release, you covered production costs and profits for the development of ARMA2. When I purchased, my money went to development of DayZ. You can come back and say "Well, no, you bought ARMA and the money will go to Bohemia" then I refer to the reply I made above: "And there is no way in hell people in the Arma office said "Hey, your mod has sold a million copies of the game, but we're not giving you ANY money to develop it further" then you, sir, are an idiot."

I never said I expected him to work for free. I bought ARMA 2 JUST for DayZ, that's where my money should come from. If they so desperately wanted DayZ to be a free to play mod, then they should have provided the engine and all the files to run it for free, and you shouldn't have had to buy ARMA2. Which is not possible, so it's not a stance they can take.

Heaps up silly boy.

A free game is free. A free mod is not. A mod requires a game, in this case ArmA.

I wanted to play ArmA, so I needed to buy ArmA. You're playing ArmA too buddy. When you're playing DayZ you're playing ArmA. DayZ is a mod in ArmA, so if you want to play the mod, you have to play ArmA. This is the way it is. If you don't like it, guess what, we got a perfect sollution for you. This guy Rocket is developing DayZ as a standalone, which means all you guys, who were literally forced to buy ArmA, don't have to anymore. You can simply buy the standalone and avoid dirtying your harddrives with ArmA3.

Also BIS is giving Rocket something money can't buy.

It's called creative control.

Apparently it's more important for creative souls, than lime green ferraris, corner offices and personal assistants,

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 3

How come I gotta repeat the most basics over and over?

It's today's headline for christ sake.

1. Minecraft model.

bla bla bla

What about when it's finished with development? What's the price going to be then?

bla bla bla, how fantastically worded.

As a gainfully employed individual, I will happily pay twice for Day Z.

When I bought Arma II: CO and encouraged a few of my friends to buy it, I did not realize that there was to a standalone model coming at any point. This wouldn't have changed my decision to buy it. So far, this is $30 I would gladly buy again. Just like I am going to throw money at anything Baldurs Gate (enhanced edition what), there are some games and innovators so worthy of your money that multiple versions of the same game are equally valuable.

Playing devil's advocate, I wish that it was advertised better on the front page that a standalone model was coming that would require additional funds be given. This would prevent any ill will towards Rocket and Bohemia that is unfounded. As of this writing, there is still nothing to indicate that it's going standalone at first glance. It is also unclear if the Day Z mod will remain an active part of the Arma II: CO community after the standalone release, rendering all time spent exactly that: time spent, not invested.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Rocket didn't see a cent of those purchases of Arma2:CO, even though 85% of the purchases from June till now are probably because of DayZ. Sure, I might say that players who sign up in the first little while should get a small discount (10-25%?) but Rocket is still a human and deserves to see some cash for his long, hard work. I have no problem paying for this standalone.

It's only another $15 or $20 dollars or some equivalent of that. If you hadn't purchased ARMAII CO and DayZ came out and cost $40 would you buy it?

Okay, keep hammering down that road, I'll be ignoring you now because you're clearly too stupid to realise I acknowledged that you are technically correct when you say I bought ARMA 2 and played DayZ, yada yada, but anyone who's not got a stick up their ass will see that no, that's a dumb way to look at it.

Looking at things the logical way is dumb? Okay.

You even said yourself that I was "technically correct" and then deemed it stupid.

Okay.

Edit; You know, it's not THAT bad to just say "Yeah, uhm.. The way I thought before was kinda stupid. I've changed my mind." and just go about your day. Seriously. Your ego seems to be the only thing that keeps you standing behind your original post.

Edited by Dancing.Russian.Man

What about when it's finished with development? What's the price going to be then?

bla bla bla, how fantastically worded.

Reread post.

I accidentally pressed tab and then enter ending up posting before I had done anything but adding quote tags.

You bought arma 2 from Bohemia Interactive, you didn't buy it from Rocket.

Rocket didn't get your money, Bohemia did; why should rocket give you a free game because you paid someone else for a different game?

Sorry EA, but I already bought World of Warcraft from Blizzard, so you should give me Star Wars for free since I already paid them.

How does this sound like a logical argument to you?

Read this carefully.

You chose to buy Arma to take part in the Alpha testing phase of a mod using the Arma engine. No one asked you to do this, it was never advertised. You chose to take part based on media hype. I've read the announcement and people that are taking part in the testing phase will receive heavy discounts. I'm not sure what else you can expect.

Like what was said here, Arma 2 is a different product than dayz it was first initially a mod. this is like saying you deserve a PS4 because you just bought the PS3 for a different version of the game. It isn't going to happen. However, I believe Rocket and/or Bohemia INteractive are being generous to the early adopters by using the minecraft model.

You bought arma 2 from Bohemia Interactive, you didn't buy it from Rocket.

Rocket didn't get your money, Bohemia did; why should rocket give you a free game because you paid someone else for a different game?

Because Rocket has been hired by BI to make DayZ as a standalone game with him as the project lead, so it's not Rocket giving you a free game but Bohemia. If you buy DayZ when it comes out you are not paying Rocket, you are paying BI (again).

If Rocket had been picked up by someone else to make DayZ then this point would be valid, but it isn't the case.

Edited by Photolysis
  • Like 1

Because Rocket has been hired by BI to make DayZ as a standalone game with him as the project lead, so it's not Rocket giving you a free game but Bohemia. If you buy DayZ when it comes out you are not paying Rocket, you are paying BI (again).

If Rocket had been picked up by someone else to make DayZ then this point would be valid, but it isn't the case.

The point is still valid.

Should DICE give you BF3 for free because you bought BF2?

Actually, the previous would be more valid since the games are very similar.

Arma 2 is nothing like Dayz, so it would be closer to say:

Should Blizzard give you Diablo 3 for free because you bought Starcraft 2?

That's a very bad analogy, though funnily enough Blizzard did give out Diablo 3 for free to WoW players who paid for a 12 month subscription. How's that for irony.

Your DICE example with BF2 and BF3 fails completely.

People - a huge amount looking at the sales figures - paid BI for the express purpose of playing DayZ as a mod. These people are then going to have to pay BI yet again to play the retail version of DayZ which they are now making. They didn't pay for Arma II because they wanted Arma II, they paid because they wanted DayZ. As BI greatly profited from this, it isn't unreasonable to offer something to those who paid without having any interest in Arma II, given that they've already paid something for it.

Bad example as blizzard did give diablo 3 free if you bought WOW 1 yr subscription ;)

I see both side of this argument as i consider myself one of the players who "bought dayz"

I heared about dayz from firends and i had to buy arma 2 to play it, i will never play arma 2 as its a terrible game and even though i like dayz the core engine of the game is shockingly bad (even though its an alpa i accept this, but it is the arma 2 parts that im talking about).

So YES i did pay for dayz!!!

Having said that, i know it was my choice and i am willing to pay for the stand alone as i realise how all this works and i think its fair enough with all the work thats been put into this "free" mod.

Also dont forget they have said it is going to be a "cheap" game, its not going to be one of these annoying £40 games that just piss me off with the price, for 5-10hrs of game play

Edited by WalBanger
  • Like 1

That's a very bad analogy, though funnily enough Blizzard did give out Diablo 3 for free to WoW players who paid for a 12 month subscription. How's that for irony.

Your DICE example with BF2 and BF3 fails completely.

People - a huge amount looking at the sales figures - paid BI for the express purpose of playing DayZ as a mod. These people are then going to have to pay BI yet again to play the retail version of DayZ which they are now making. They didn't pay for Arma II because they wanted Arma II, they paid because they wanted DayZ. As BI greatly profited from this, it isn't unreasonable to offer something to those who paid without having any interest in Arma II, given that they've already paid something for it.

lol snap :P

Wow. So much faith in humanity destroyed and restored all in the one thread...

Do you enjoy the game?

If No - Don't buy it. If Yes - Is the enjoyment you get from it worth the extra (albeit small amount, we're likely talking <$20 here) money?

If No - Don't buy it. If Yes - Can you afford it?

If No - Save up. If Yes - Buy it

How is that so hard?

• Like 1

I would have played Arma II and it's other Mods if I didn't just get "Arma II Free" + "Arrowhead Expansion" to play DayZ. Instead of paying the $20, I would have gladly paid the $30, but I understand that there are mods just for the Arrowhead Expansion. I agree that we shouldn't have to pay if we already have installed DayZ and bought Arma just for DayZ itself!

• Like 1

Read this carefully.

You chose to buy Arma to take part in the Alpha testing phase of a mod using the Arma engine. No one asked you to do this, it was never advertised. You chose to take part based on media hype. I've read the announcement and people that are taking part in the testing phase will receive heavy discounts. I'm not sure what else you can expect.

Actually I was rather surprised by all this. The only I heard of testing or the possibility of a standalone at all was far after purchase. There is a little tag on the download button that says 'Alpha Version!' and that's it.

I'm fine with having to pay for Dayz again, if he improves it (Which I'm sure he will), but I think he needs to make it 10000x more obvious that this is a very buggy, rapidly changing alpha and that he will be releasing the game standalone down the road. There is little to no mention of any of this anywhere unless you delve into the forums, something few will do.

Edited by Yatagan

then dont get the standalone, dean hall deservers some cash for all the work hes done. dayz is a mod for arma, most people bought it for dayz, bad luck if u dont want to pay again. dean didnt get any money for the mod, show some fucking respect. No one cares if only YOU dont want to pay again, to be hounest, i dont give a fuck if you dont pay for the stand alone, this game doesnt need greedy faggots like you.

EDIT: Just because you played the alpha/beta doesnt mean you dont have to pay for the standalone.

Edited by koze

The joy of reading the Dayz forums, people being complete idiots to each other.

• Like 1

then dont get the standalone, dean hall deservers some cash for all the work hes done. dayz is a mod for arma, most people bought it for dayz, bad luck if u dont want to pay again. dean didnt get any money for the mod, show some fucking respect. No one cares if only YOU dont want to pay again, to be hounest, i dont give a fuck if you dont pay for the stand alone, this game doesnt need greedy faggots like you.

Gotta love the lack of research people do before going on rants. I love how for all the respect you claim to have for Rocket (which he deserves), you apparently didn't even bother to read his simple announcement on the subject.

A hint: Rocket won't get paid for the standalone game either as BI are making it. You know, the same people who made Arma II. The same people who got paid when people brought Arma II to play DayZ. But by all means delude yourself into thinking you're paying Rocket when you purchase the standalone game.

• Like 1