cheeseit12

Night Time Play

I have not played much at night because I have no idea of how to go about it. I see people throwing flares all over and the getting shot to pieces because they high lighted themselves in the middle of town but wandering in pitch black through town is just begging to be zombie food.

How do you guys play at night?

Set your HDR as high as you possibly can and increase gamma and brightness if you have to. If you absolutely need some form of illumination use chemlights. Avoid flares at all costs.

I only play during night if I have some sort of flashlight. You can quickly turn it on and off to have a look at where you're going.

What i have found is that at night, using your own stealth ie walking crouching etc you can navigate quite easily.. like the above have stated you can change the settings to make it a bit more forgiving but you do get used to it after a few goes..

just remember never run with flares, use them by al means but throw them as far infront as you can then navigate upto and around them...

after a while you can move easily and un detected

Maybe you spawn with a flashlight with one battery. 1 battery = 3 hour effective time or so.

playing in the night time is awesome.

even in pitch black, that makes it even more fun, i love the danger. >:O

My brightness and gamma are both set to 1.0, and somehow I can see at night, if I've been playing since before it became night. If I disconnect and reconnect, everything goes pitch dark.

I don't play during the night, it's too dark and I won't increase my settings, I stick to the day time for now.

flashlight and chemlights until you can get your hands on some nvgs

adjusting your gamma etc is just cheating if you ask me as it's meant to be pitch black

Advice without cheating:

1) Stick to main roads. The white stripe in the middle is probably the last thing to disappear at night, you can also navigate by the distinctive foot step sound tarmac makes when things get really dark.

2) Move slowly. It's really easy to run into zombies in the dark. Crouch run at the fastest, if you can hear zombies somewhere in the general area move to a slow crouch walk, if they are very close go to prone and use sound to navigate around them.

3) If you are detected, may as well throw a flare. Good luck fighting invisible zombies otherwise.

all upping the gamma and brightness does really is give you a little bit more of an outline on everything, i wouldn't call it cheating otherwise it wouldn't be an option. But generally i use other peoples flares to navigate, throw one at whatever i want to look like and use Chemlights if im traveling through the countryside with another player.

Ok I'll call it extremely cheesy and immersion ruining as people are exploiting a feature that is meant to adjust their monitor to an ideal graphical level as the devs had intended for the game (this is what it's actually for) not crank it all the way up so you can see better at night. (this is why games often have thos handy adjust your gamma/brightness till you can barely see this graphic screens)

Actually, HDR makes a much bigger difference than gamma or brightness. If you turn HDR to very high light reflects off more surfaces, making it much easier for you to see.

The thing is that (which for some reason a lot of people are ignoring probably because they're selfishly retarded and a bit stupid) the day/night balance is completely fucked.

Some people can see OK and others get the 'may as well turn your monitor off' type pitch black balance even if they change their settings.

There is no consistency at all.

I like night time personally cos I can see everything anyway and get a brilliant opportunity to sneak up behind people and yell BOO in direct chat. (to whoever that was in cherno last night... no I'm not sorry, it was really funny.)

I can't see a god damned thing. But what really pisses me off is that we start with a god damned hand gun, ammo, bandages, maybe some flares and food......but no flashlight? Seriously?

Every single server I played on today (after failing to load on 50% of them) it was pitch black and I was standing on the beach with no hope of finding anything. Go near a flare and you just know you are gonna die. Then you get the dicks that have night vision and just pick you off because you are standing out in the open like a blind dumbass.

Sorry if I was smart enough to arm my self with food and weapons I would be carrying a god damned flashlight.

Playing at night with just flares is possible, and can even be quite fun as long as you're not all SUPER SERIOUS GUYS I CAN'T DIE IT WOULD RUIN MY REAL LIFE! Just try to get off of the coast and away from the bean bandits.

That being said, flashlights are fairly common, and chemlights/flares are even more common. I personally prefer the flashlight. It doesn't provide as much illumination as the flare or the chemlight, but that's the point.

Play in groups of two or more, make sure both have a flashlight of some sort (military preferably). I've crawled, walked and sprinted across a huge area without alerting a single zombie, only a bandit was dumb enough to try and shoot us, but he died. Bind flashlight to an easily accessible key such as mouse4/5, turn it on and off, just enough for you to see the terrain ahead of you / your direction and the buildings / zombies. Zombies don't react to flashlights, only players do.

A military flashlight can light as far as roughly 50m and can easily be mistaken for a flare, whereas the other flashlight has a distinctive light that can be used from very very far away and can be spotted just as easily.

That worked for me.

Why is it dark so damn early?? Sick of my hours being always in the dark :\

Man I hated night for a while...I then forced myself to play. After cusing, sighing, and over all frustration. I started to learn strategies on navigating, and lurking about.

FLares for long range path lighting..and zombie distracting, I try to throw on top of structures or areas that create relections.

Then the glow stick for immidiate area illumination. I've gotten more comfortable in nighttime enviroments with these two simple tactics.

yeah it sometimes is way too dark.

Man I hated night for a while...I then forced myself to play. After cusing' date=' sighing, and over all frustration. I started to learn strategies on navigating, and lurking about.

FLares for long range path lighting..and zombie distracting, I try to throw on top of structures or areas that create relections.

Then the glow stick for immidiate area illumination. I've gotten more comfortable in nighttime enviroments with these two simple tactics.

yeah it [i']sometimes is way too dark.

This man has a damn good strategy for the road flares!

The chem sticks a well underrated; they are good for running with as they can only be seen from very close ranges, also, throwing them outside the wall of a building will illuminate the whole of the inside!

If you haven't got a compass, use the stars - There are two almost vertical columns of stars to the North, the lower part of one is on the horizon and is shaped like a question mark, to the West is Orion, again on the horizon and high in the Eastern sky are four bright stars in a row. They are not perfectly aligned but will definitely aid in navigation!

The darkness is your friend!

Adi