Jackftw

Take out .50 cals

Let me take a screenshot of my current inventory. Give me a minute. (Btw, this stuff isn't rare for me... I find .50's and ghillies within 1 hour of playing)

Let me sort this out a second here... You are complaining about people having 50 cals and ghillies... Then you are bragging about how many 50 cals and ghillies you have or can find?

awesome.

In the setting of the game .50 cal is completely legit. There was a military invasion before the outbreak, and judging by all the destroyed SUVs and Helicopters, both sides had helicopters and armored vehicles. And the .50 cal is an anti vehicle weapon. So it makes sense to equip some of your soldiers with .50 cal snipers.The standart equipment for a sniper and his marker is guilly suit, rangefinder, and nightvision googles. I dont see how those should not be in the game.

Also you have to give the players some goal to work for. In Dayz it is mostly to find better gear. And thats why that stuff is in the game.

It's a fucking zombie apocalypse in the middle of some random shitty country/area. You're not going to be finding anti-material rifles just laying around.

Actually its a zombie apocalypse in a military area ..

Wasn't yelling at you but I agree. However it doesn't making much sense that we just walk into cherno/elektro get the supplies and go on living. What I quoted before just doesnt make sense that it would be YEARS after the infection hit. I say a couple months at most.

See, that's the problem. That's what I was talking about.

It does feel like it's only been a couple months since the infection BUT Rocket made it so 95% of the vehicles in Chernarus are impossible to drive, this doesn't make any sense but he did it for the sake of authenticity, to give us this post-apocalyptic feeling of loneliness, emptiness and helplessness when running in a no man's land for 20 minutes before getting shot in the head and having to do it all over again.

So why couldn't he, for the sake of the authenticy, do it again and get rid of military high end gear such as NVG or 50. Cals?

Maybe they kinda make sense since it's a military area but they also certainly feel completely out of place in a zombie apocalypse.

25 bikes and 20 drivable cars in a town would also logically make sense. If this was a feature, anybody would be able to defend it because it's completely logical.

But then everybody would have a car and the map would feel too small, death wouldn't be so bad because your buddy would be able to pick you up 3 minutes later and you'd get your weapons back from the trunk of the car. Zombies would become even more useless. It would be more of a Mad Max kind of game.

It's not because it would logically be there that it SHOULD.

Edited by Nucleqrwinter

Again, how on earth are we supposed to deal with Vehicules without 50 cals ? Throw empty tin cans at them ?

And I don't understand why do you want to remove .50 cals. Every sniper rifle in this game is deadly, even the CZ (2 center mass shots).

If you get shot, it's your fault. NEVER go on open fields, and if you don't have the choice, zig zag like crazy, and voilà he can't shoot you (well he can shoot, but he'll miss his shot 99% of the time).

Even though there are a lot of military camps and such around cheranus, it's still somewhat impressive how they are all floating with weapons used by Western Europe and U.S.A..

Edited by Tenderness
  • Like 2

All guns are built to kill. That's what guns were invented to do. But you don't magically get a deadlier gun by making the barrel longer. If you want a gun to do more damage to the human body, you need a bigger bullet.

You don't get how weapon systems works i believe. A bolt action rifle with a longer barrel will do more harm than a semi-automatic rifle with a shorter barrel. This is because the bolt action rifle can focus the explosion better, causing a higher velocity and all that, while the semi-automatic requires some of this power to reload the weapon. It's important to remember that any gun using a 7.62x51mm and above will cause a great amount of damage.

On a sidenote, not all guns and sorts of ammo are built to kill. Most special forces around the world are actually equipped with weapons made to incapacitate. A good example is the AK against the M16 family. It's not just for fun that the AK is using a bigger bullet, It's actually bigger to make sure that it will do more damage.

• Like 1

Again, how on earth are we supposed to deal with Vehicules without 50 cals ? Throw empty tin cans at them ?

And I don't understand why do you want to remove .50 cals. Every sniper rifle in this game is deadly, even the CZ (2 center mass shots).

If you get shot, it's your fault. NEVER go on open fields, and if you don't have the choice, zig zag like crazy, and voilà he can't shoot you (well he can shoot, but he'll miss his shot 99% of the time).

What do you mean "How are we supposed to deal with vehicles?" ?

Are we playing the same game? I wouldn't be surprised if you showed me a video of some guy destroying a bus by throwing smoke grenades or road flares at it.

I think this game has MUCH bigger problems than snipers with .50 cals. Hackers, duping, but most of all zombies aren't a threat. Who actually uses their .50 cal, LMG's or thermal scoped weapons to take out zombies? No one, we all use our side arms. What does that mean for the game then? Well that means that zombies are 1. WAY too underpowered 2. Clearly not a threat if everyone uses their side arms to kill them.

.50's also aren't what makes the game unrealistic, it's a combination of things, this is only a tiny bit of it.

No thought what so ever in these kind of posts.

Take out 50.cals.

People will run around with basically whatever gun does 8000 damage and has the longest range! DMR's,M24, SVD (snipers)

Take out snipers

People will run around with M14 AIM's and M16 Acog - Effective at 800 meters. Light Machine guns effective to 400 Meters MK48's and 240's. Etc etc etc.

There will be a whine all the way until people just have hachets.

What ever has the longest range and does the most damage is going to be the preferred weapon. You know why? EFFICIENCY Not because its overpowered but because its efficient. Running around Cherno and elektro with a AS50 is not efficient can it be done? Yes but i'll take a FN Fal when I am CQC over a AS50 anyday

Edited by oZiix

I think this game has MUCH bigger problems than snipers with .50 cals. Hackers, duping, but most of all zombies aren't a threat. Who actually uses their .50 cal, LMG's or thermal scoped weapons to take out zombies? No one, we all use our side arms. What does that mean for the game then? Well that means that zombies are 1. WAY too underpowered 2. Clearly not a threat if everyone uses their side arms to kill them.

.50's also aren't what makes the game unrealistic, it's a combination of things, this is only a tiny bit of it.

I do agree that the mod has bigger problems, but Rocket said himself that most of them won't or can't be fixed in the near future. Some not even until DayZ becomes a standalone, like the Zombies' pathfinding.

Getting rid of some out of place weapons and maybe replacing them with better ones is the kind of change that we know can actually happen.

What do you mean "How are we supposed to deal with vehicles?" ?

Are we playing the same game? I wouldn't be surprised if you showed me a video of some guy destroying a bus by throwing smoke grenades or road flares at it.

Well try to hit a moving Car / Heli / Bus and destroy the wheels / engin / rotor with anything else than a .50 cal. Just try. I'll be uphill watching you & laughing.

The point of having a .50 cal is to destroy the vehicule with a single, one placed, shot. because if the vehicule is moving, chances are you won't hit it multiple times. And to answer your question, you need to aim for the Wheels / Engin / Rotor in order to take down a vehicule with a weapon in DayZ.

In the setting of the game .50 cal is completely legit. There was a military invasion before the outbreak, and judging by all the destroyed SUVs and Helicopters, both sides had helicopters and armored vehicles. And the .50 cal is an anti vehicle weapon. So it makes sense to equip some of your soldiers with .50 cal snipers.The standart equipment for a sniper and his marker is guilly suit, rangefinder, and nightvision googles. I dont see how those should not be in the game.

Also you have to give the players some goal to work for. In Dayz it is mostly to find better gear. And thats why that stuff is in the game.

Makes sense, what with them zombies driving cars which need to be disabled.

Well try to hit a moving Car / Heli / Bus and destroy the wheels / engin / rotor with anything else than a .50 cal. Just try. I'll be uphill watching you & laughing.

It's a shame you weren't there 3 days ago, then. I killed a bus driver (while it was moving, obviously.) with a CZ 550 and then destroyed the wheel so the passengers wouldn't be able to start it again, in two shots. I'm not even proud of myself, anybody could have done the same even with a fucking MP5.

The only vehicle that's actually hard to stop/destroy is the Huey. All other vehicles are civilian vehicles and ridiculously fragile.

Edited by Nucleqrwinter

It's a shame you weren't there 3 days ago, then. I killed a bus driver (while it was moving, obviously.) with a CZ 550 and then destroyed the wheel so the passengers wouldn't be able to start it again, in two shots. I'm not even proud of myself, anybody could have done the same even with a fucking MP5.

The only vehicle that's actually hard to stop/destroy is the Huey. All other vehicles are civilian vehicles and ridiculously fragile.

yesterday I blew up a car with a CZ too, 2 shots on the engine at +/- 150m. Now think about fighting a Clan, with multiple vehicules (Ural, Quads, Jeeps etc), or if they are far away. The CZ won't work ;).

I didn't say it's umpossible to shoot a vehicule with other weapons, but it's a lot harder (think long range shooting).

The AS50 does 150k damage for a reason, it's meant for taking down vehicules, and if you take the duping away, you'll notice that the ammo for this gun is quiet rare, and you'd have to make a choice "Should I shoot this guy or wait for a Heli to take it down ?".

Sorry for my poor english :).

I duped a jerrycan once at the expense of both my FN FAL mags and a smoke grenade. Sometimes it actually makes the game harder.

Edited by Mister_Meatball

I agree with the OP, but I think the problem here isn't that it isn't realistic, it's that most people don't imagine surviving a zombie apocalypse anywhere remotely near a military base.

With that being said, there is always a possibility that a military base has a .50 cal sniper in it, even at or after the time of apocalypse (it was under a dead body, etc.)

Honestly, if I were making DayZ, I would use a map that was almost all rural with a little bit of city with no military spawns. 4x the number of zombies, make zombies come after you if you stay in one place too long, and the best weapon in the game is a semi-auto battle rifle / scoped remington (of hunting caliber).

Thus, although I agree with the removal of the 50. cal for asthetic reasons (a zombie survival game shouldn't have it), it should technically be a findable weapon (due to military spawns).

And there is where the problem lies.

You don't get how weapon systems works i believe. A bolt action rifle with a longer barrel will do more harm than a semi-automatic rifle with a shorter barrel. This is because the bolt action rifle can focus the explosion better, causing a higher velocity and all that, while the semi-automatic requires some of this power to reload the weapon. It's important to remember that any gun using a 7.62x51mm and above will cause a great amount of damage.

On a sidenote, not all guns and sorts of ammo are built to kill. Most special forces around the world are actually equipped with weapons made to incapacitate. A good example is the AK against the M16 family. It's not just for fun that the AK is using a bigger bullet, It's actually bigger to make sure that it will do more damage.

The most important factor in damage is not velocity but energy. The more ft/lbs delivered to the target, the more trauma it will cause. Also, bullet ballistics and dynamics also play a huge part. For example, the 5.45 AK74 round is smaller than a 5.56 .223 caliber nato, yet it is much more devastating. Why? Because the 5.56 was designed to be very fast and very flat shooting. A quick pencil eraser hole in, and out. The 5.45? It's nicknamed the poison dart because when it hits you, the bullet tumbles more than once inside the body cavity, creating a great amount of trauma and in most cases creating a noticeably bigger exit wound or sometimes not even escaping the cavity at all because of the multiple tumbles. Known fact: Most soldiers who are hit with 5.45mm rounds do not survive. Keyword: Most. Thus it was nicknamed the poison dart. Bigger does not always mean better in 100% of cases. Energy delivered to the target is the most important factor, as said.

The only problem with them is the duping and hacking that had caused them to become extremely common.

Yesterday I found a tent near black lake that had 5 AS50's, 4 M107's, 30 mags of NATO AS50 rounds, and 20 mags of M107 rounds.

The AS50 does 150k damage for a reason, it's meant for taking down vehicules, and if you take the duping away, you'll notice that the ammo for this gun is quiet rare, and you'd have to make a choice "Should I shoot this guy or wait for a Heli to take it down ?".

The AS50 does 150k damage for no reason. The AS50 ammo is broken since the BAF dlc, it deal damage close to the bradey's gun.

From "cfgAmmoMagWepVehCOBAF"

"B_127x99_Ball" ammo deal 26 base damage (M107)

"B_127x99_Ball_noTracer_BAF" ammo deal 56 base damage (used in AS50, BAF .50 BMG sniper/anti-materiel rifle)

"B_25mm_APDS" ammo deal 65 base damage (25mm APDS-T, used in the bradley's M242 bushmaster)

(in OA, a soldier die after ~0.6 to ~1dmg)

Why do we have in a survival game (or even in a military simulation) a rifle able to deal damage close to a 25mm autocannon shooting tungsten sabot rounds?

I rememeber rocket saying dayZ is unbalanced and it will stay that way.

Balance in this case is not a problem, this weapon is not made to be in this mod imo. Zeroing & rangefinder make long range shot too easy, we only need mil dot and training. Not beginner friendly but i don't want this mod to be friendly!

Edited by OuicheLorraine

The AS50 does 150k damage for no reason. The AS50 ammo is broken since the BAF dlc, it deal damage close to the bradey's gun.

Let me write it down for you : ANTI MATERIAL Rifle.

Why do we have in a survival game (or even in a military simulation) a rifle able to deal damage close to a 25mm autocannon shooting tungsten sabot rounds?

Because there's vehicules in this game. Why do we have Assault Rifles in a survival game ? Why do we have guns ? We could survive with a hatchet and some beans. There's PvP in DayZ. A lot of it. Deal with it.

P.S : The .50 BMG is used for the M2 Browning Machine Gun.

P.S 2 : T'es français ?

im not sure people realise just how abused the duping is....almost every tent i find has some evidence of duping...

The problem with this is that duping is so easy, you can do it by accident. I 'duped' several top guns just by moving my tent to another server. I left the duped ones on my home server, but I know its pretty rare for people to do that.