Jackftw

Take out .50 cals

my friend is in the air force and he sends me pics when they are training with weapons, I have seen almost all the current weapons on dayz in their training.

my friend is in the air force and he sends me pics when they are training with weapons, I have seen almost all the current weapons on dayz in their training.

I'm assuming you're talking about the US air force, not the RUSSIAN military.

In Chernarus, you wouldn't find American and British weaponry. I would like to see these removed, personally; M9SD, all M4/M16 variants, M24, AS50, M107, L85A2 AWS, M249 SAW, M240, Mk 48 Mod 0, M136, and M1014.

In Chernarus, you wouldn't find American and British weaponry. I would like to see these removed, personally; M9SD, all M4/M16 variants, M24, AS50, M107, L85A2 AWS, M249 SAW, M240, Mk 48 Mod 0, M136, and M1014.

Things like the M4/M16 and snipers like the DMR, and M24 are reasonable, considering those are weapons that could be obtained by the general public. I only think the crazy advanced weaponry should be removed. (M240, AS50, M107, shit like that.)

The Russian ground forces uses almost exact weapons. They only look different but most of them are about the same (arguably). Even if you take out AS50 and other one-shot-one-kill weapons and put in all the Russian weapons, you still end up with high-grade sniper rifles/anti-materiel rifles. The only reason why this mod has American and other foreign weapons is because they got them from the original game.

You can look at what the Russians use right now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_equipment_of_the_Russian_Ground_Forces#Individual_weapons

Making ammo scarce will not fix anything at the current state: reloging brings back full mags.

It would be best to take out a few weapons and balance them. Bring them back once ammo bug is fixed and/or weapons are balanced correctly.

Chernarus. Stands for Black Russia. AND RUSSIANS DON'T LIKE PUSSY NATO ROUNDS. They like firing lead the size of thumbs at people. And cars. And armour. And armoured armour. So, yes, you would find them in Russian Military bases. No they don't spawn in the first building you find. Mostly in High Value Military buildings. Think North West Airfield?

A .50 caliber bullet is smaller than a man's pinky, not his thumb. .50 means half an inch, or about .03 inches smaller than the diameter of a AA battery. You're thinking of the far more impressive .99 caliber/25mm bullet, which...is actually a standard NATO round.

Things like the M4/M16 and snipers like the DMR, and M24 are reasonable, considering those are weapons that could be obtained by the general public. I only think the crazy advanced weaponry should be removed. (M240, AS50, M107, shit like that.)

People keep talking about removing advanced weaponry, but I really think it's because most people have the same fake belief about calibers and bullet sizes as ninjaholic and think that a cartridge is the same as the bullet in the cartridge. And this problem has been reflected in the damage tables for the game. A .50 caliber cartridge LOOKS big but the bullet is only 1/7th of an inch wider than a 9mm bullet. That's the thickness of a US penny.

Unfortunately, Arma II's initial weapon system seems designed around modern military body armor technology and liberal use of Critical Existence Failure. In Arma II, low velocity bullets will do less damage because they won't get as much penetration on soldiers' body armor and helmets. Faster bullets are more likely to pierce armor, so this makes sense. Unfortunately, DayZ is filled with unarmored people, zombies, and cows, so when you compare the two damage systems you get really screwed up mechanics like a 9mm Uzi round doing 1/3rd the damage of a 5.56mm rifle round...and 1/6th the damage of the same round coming out of a different gun. The rifle round would punch through armor better (more damage against armored soldiers), but it would only do a fraction of the damage of that Uzi round to soft tissue once it gets through.

Also, some people trying to justify this traditional VIDEOGAME LOGICTM mistake muzzle energy with trauma. A bullet traveling through a fluid causes kinetic damage larger than its caliber. But larger caliber bullets create larger shockwaves than smaller caliber bullets. In the real world, most of that muzzle energy is spent on penetration and distance and never interacts with the surrounding tissue. You know that trick with pulling the tablecloth from under the plates really fast and not disturbing it? Now imagine that the tablecloth is a bullet and the table and silverware are big hunks of meat. Faster bullets are less likely to transfer energy into the surrounding flesh unless they deform on impact like hollow points (problem is, most .50 caliber rounds aren't hollow points because they decrease penetration but 9mm hollow points are pretty standard).

This is the real reason why AS50's and M107's are used for anti-materiel purposes -- they don't make holes much bigger than .45 rounds, but they have enough penetration to cause leaks in engine blocks and they travel really, really far, really really straight, and are dense enough to negate a lot of the effects of wind. In short, they're extremely accurate armor piercing weapons that make big holes big holes while .45 rounds just make big holes without the penetration and shotgun rounds make ridiculously big holes.

The real question is, if DayZ continues to use ArmaII's damage tables, are they going to put body armor on the cows and zombies? Are our rabbits going to be mechanical steampunk creations that dispense meat from a slot in the side or something?

Edited by BazBake
  • Like 2

The 'random shitty country/ area' has military bases/ airfields. So yes, you will find them lying around.

.50 BMG sniper rifles aren't exactly common in the military. That's an extremely specialized piece of equipment.
  • Like 3

Assuming someone hasn't taken them already. I mean come on, I can't be the only one who think's its ridiculous that in a zombie apocalypse there are people running around in ghillie suits with NVG's, M107's/AS50's M9SD's and all this crazy military gear. It's just taking away from the zombie apocalyptic atmosphere.

Well this game wouldn't be very fun if everybody had a double barreled shotgun now would it?

All i see here is someone upset about being killed. yet again.

I've been playing this game forever, and I just found my first AS50 this morning!! WOOO!! I think I found it on a dead sniper/hacker :)

Play through the Arma2 campaign, you'll see what was going down in Chernarus. Plenty of military personnel from plenty of countries doing plenty of specops stuff. The zombies interrupted a full-scale military action, with a large NATO presence. Hence the smashed Humvees.

• Like 1

whole point is they are supposed to be rare... with the game played as the game makers intended they would indeed still be rare. have u ever had 1? i have found 3 m107 and 1 as 50 in many many weeks of playing. and its only since i travel alot searching for crashed helis that i got top loot. other than killing another player they are hard finds... its just the duping and hacking that makes them not rare. its the top sniper rifle... ofc they will be duped and spawned...even if u remove the .50cals then they will still be used heavily... all u do then is remove the legit player from having them...

I agree with this. It's kinda like the gun control arguement. If you remove them or lower their spawn rate, hackers and dupers will still get them. There will just be no legitimate players with them.

Remember a .50cal is about the only thing that can kill a hacker. Godmode doesn't make you invincible, it just makes your blood regenerate super-fast. A .50cal to the chest will kill a hacker.

Keep it the way it is, but we need to find a way to prevent duping.

If we're trying to be 100% legit about what weapons should be in a former Soviet block state's military instulations you'd probably only see Soviet block weapons with a few exotic weapons.

Also the RAF don't use Hueys anywhere but Borneo, so I don't know why there would be european NATO weapons and Eastern Euro weapons scattered all over them, and don't try and tell me they aren't RAF hueys because only the British, Jamaica, and Bolivia armed forces use that pile of trash L85.

Edited by Murf1500

enough with the masturbation about wich gun should be found and wich one shouldn't. They're here, and they're not leaving, deal with it.

Inventory + Backpack Page 1

dkYR7.jpg

Inventory + Backpack Page 2

1Gr8f.jpg

This gear in a zombie apocalypse? Seem's totally legit.

Sorry, but you're not going to find this shit in an apocalyptic wasteland.

am i supposta be impressed that you have duped gear back at base?

why does it take you an hour btw? takes me all of 15 minutes to regear from my base

edit: nvm thats not even base gear, thats just straight up clothing dupe items

Edited by Buffjesus

I agree with the OP 100%

My only wonder is why Rocket doesnt incorporate these suggestions already - just to see how it plays out in the reports back from the community.

am i supposta be impressed that you have duped gear back at base?

why does it take you an hour btw? takes me all of 15 minutes to regear from my base

edit: nvm thats not even base gear, thats just straight up clothing dupe items

I don't have a camp. Ask anyone in my group. And I never dupe anything, I prefer to play the game NOT like a bitch :P

• Like 2

No, stupid idea.

k

WTF is this? More stupid ideas? Good. We didn't have nearly enough of those around here.

Why do you come to the forums then? Manstruate somewhere else?

Didn't read anything in this thread but I agree 100%

Sometimes this game feels more like quake/unreal tournament on instagib mode.

One shot kill to the torso maybe, but a foot shot getting you an instant kill? umm no.