jackcrow

Anti-Cheat Solution

...but YOUR not paying...

Sorry, I just found it funny that your grammatical/spelling error was bolded.

Other than that, good post.

This suggestion would be fundamental change in the server policy. When starting to host/admin a server you agree to basic rules of DayZ hosting. One of them is that your server cant be password locked. What you are suggesting now could be never accepted as categorical imperative. If it would be accepted for you and your server, it should be accepted for everybody else. The harmfull possibilities for abuse, malevolent limiting and playerbase segregation in whole community far outweights the frustation of one server admin.

While this is the state of DayZ for now, you have two acceptable options. First is to stop hosting and paying. The other is to clench you teeth, work with what you got and endure it. Like every other viable admin in the community.

I do not pay to host my own server, possibly doing that in the future. Just pointing out that arguments Ad hominem do not negate or lessen the arguments of other people. That should be clear for everyone at this point?

Heh 1 server admin, right.... And because hacker abuse is better than potential admin abuse and that you definitely cannot come here and tell the community that Server X and Admin Y are abusing. Lets see 1 server to report or 1000 hackers? You do the math on what is really more harmful.

As far as your acceptable solutions go, do you think its really a viable solution to tell the server owners/admins to stop hosting and paying? REALLY?

Edited by jackcrow

Its far more painful for clans that have their own server because legit ones like us are not server hopping, we are trying to build a community on the server we pay for

So, first of all, you want to have a little server for just you and your clan buddies... maybe a few more people? You do understand that's not why the devs wanted people to host servers, it was so that everyone had a server to play on.

I did read your post and you began with "The only way this will happen is if", as if you have a say. Hell I don't even have a say which is why Im asking Rocket and the DayZ team and talking with the community for support. The relevance is moot because Rocket is building his own engine and part of the problems is the intended design of the Arma2 engine. So it doesn't matter what happens during the Alpha stage of the Mod because the stand alone game will not even be on this engine. So you see I did read it, I just didnt feel it had any credibility and choose to ignore most of it. Thats probably a little rude, not trying to take it out on you.

Sorry, you just come off as arrogant to me, and going by your last statement, most likely is arrogant. If you weren't going to listen, er read, or acknowledge other's opinion to what you thought, then why even start a topic for it? Its like asking for directions when you're not even going to listen to it.

Heh 1 server admin, right.... And because hacker abuse is better than potential admin abuse and that you definitely cannot come here and tell the community that Server X and Admin Y are abusing. Lets see 1 server to report or 1000 hackers? You do the math on what is really more harmful.

As far as your acceptable solutions go, do you think its really a viable solution to tell the server owners/admins to stop hosting and paying? REALLY?

Locking every server with password affects every player in the community. Hackers do not affect every player in the community. Hacking is a problem and must be dealt in some way but locking up every Dayz server behind an arbitrary password mechanism does only presents more problems than it tries to solve.

As the things are now, yes, the viable options from server owners point of view are those two. One option is also to raise voice, contact the DayZ team and create pressure from the community to steer the game development in desired direction. The success in this is debatable and uncertain.

If masses of server owners stop providing and shut down their servers, with notifications of hacking and lack of possibilities to counter the problem, it would undoubtly create pressure to fix the hacker problem. This however means that the problem is truly what it is alleged, hordes of hackers running rampart and destroying the game for the majority of the server owners/players. Until that point is apparent for the community, the status quo remains.

I understand that this would really suck for those of you who do not have your own server, but YOUR not paying for anything. We are.

i cannot continue reading this without thinking that you're retarded.

as for paying for servers, yeah, you guys are paying to play. not like we payed $30 or anything. Do not turn this into a pay-to-play game.

Edited by omgwtfbbq

Without reading all these posts since i posted, I saw it mentioned a time or two while discussing this about how many servers there are. Lets do some quick, basic math that shows reducing sheer number of servers isnt a shoulder shrugging issue.

This math will assume the following : That every server showing in the list of 3697 on Commander is the minimum 40 slots, non locked, open server. We know this isnt true, some have more slots, some are private, some arent up to date, etc. But we will say this for the purposes of math.

So 3697*40 slots is 147,880 slots for players. 973,359 registered players at the time of this writing, with 180,080 playing in the last 24 hours.

So really, saying "oh you stopped payin for your server, oh well" might could actually impact the game if all servers were open, up to date BUT on minimum 40 slots. There just wouldnt be enough room for everyone to play.

You should want the people willing to pay, and step up to maintain and run a server to enjoy doing so.

But without the rule change, I guess we could try to find 40 people to fill our servers and become regular everyday players. (GL on that.)

Private servers would need to be off of Hive, I agree. But "everyone being geared out then what" scenario is moot when there are tons of things you could do with a co operative, clean community of like minded folks that would enjoy RP and Meta elements. The possibilities are endless.

Anyway, back to the pages of arguing, i wanted to keep up but i went and played and came back to 3 new pages of lots of walls with no enthusiasm for reading them all.

i cannot continue reading this without thinking that you're retarded.

as for paying for servers, yeah, you guys are paying to play. not like we payed $30 or anything. Do not turn this into a pay-to-play game.

Fixed. Im sorry, no one ever makes that mistake... I must be a retard, thanks for pointing that out.

After starting our own, we've began siding with the admins more. I was just on a lucky streak for awhile, with hackers not effecting us on the servers we played. the last few weeks have been a shame. We've held strong to the rules, but its very tempting to not just lock it after getting bombed a few times. Part of me wants to just close it down until this is hashed out. The other part feels obligated to leave it open for others who call it their home.

It'll be interesting to see what the team comes up with.

I could accept this change.

On one condition - You must have a website or a TS or something where the general public can find out your password so they can continue to play like normal.

None of this locking and only letting your friends play.

That is where this idea will fall.

If they implemented this then there would need to be a way to contact a server admin to join their server. I have a few servers that I like to play on but I have never bothered to find out who the admins are.

If they implemented this then there would need to be a way to contact a server admin to join their server. I have a few servers that I like to play on but I have never bothered to find out who the admins are.

You would assume if they decided to lock their server they would put a website URL in the title, otherwise their server would forever remain empty.

You would assume if they decided to lock their server they would put a website URL in the title, otherwise their server would forever remain empty.

Well some people would want to keep them private for clans and such.

I suggest anyone who wants a silly argument or comment on this thread looks up the word Community.

Now I don't claim to know much but (And the following is just a point from a non server admin literate person) does Lingor run on the "Hive" (Someone explain this to me) I have seen plenty of Private locked servers for DayZ (pleae explain this to me also) So If your paying for the server why can't /Or what is stopping you from running your own private server? Seriously others do it. Perhaps it is a subject I don't understand?!?

The minute you password anything your restricting people from playing, Yes you can apply but personally I will not apply unless its in a EULA. I want to know my info is safe and not going to be misused, remember hackers can get everywhere. You've have read the posts on here about Pissed off admin and what they do or don't do, the appeals because something happened or I picked up a weapon that's not in game It's more friction where there shouldn't be.

Regardless of all the issues in the game, I still play it because I Understand it is a Alpha, I expected problems when I purchased Arma 2 and downloaded DayZ and I like you now know it is going to be a long drawn out experiment until the game is anywhere near completed. Yes I can't see areas ( barbed wire etc) Yes i expect to be sucked into the thunderdome, But I have a healthy outlok in the fact it is just a game in Alpha

If your point is you don't get to spend anytime on the Game because of hackers then stop paying and do what the rest of us do, Have a life outside of Gaming as well. I don't care what you think, You cannot stop hackers if they are dedicated enough, end product, alpha product.

This is the curse of DayZ, once it gets popular over a certain point you will attract all types to it and this brings it's own issues. When I started KOS wasn't half as bad, players actually bumped into each other and explored together, they learned together. Nowadays there are so many threats they don't. This is due to the popularity of DayZ we should be (those of you who can) working together to fix issues.

Rocket has said many times he want's the community to sort things out, yet I'm afraid I see very little in the way of help, majority of the things I see is bitching and biting in the forums, Pull yourselves together and stop acting like children.

I didn't mean to offend anyone, and perhaps a lot of what I said is bollocks (I don't admit to know everything)

If every server would be password protected and every server admin would be obligated to give the password for anyone that asks for it, how would this affect the hackers? How do you foresee that a player asking for a password is a hacker?

I could accept this change.

On one condition - You must have a website or a TS or something where the general public can find out your password so they can continue to play like normal.

None of this locking and only letting your friends play.

That is where this idea will fall.

Im with you 100%. Some people seem to think that everyone is going to lock down and not allow others in because we want to masturbate in the apocalypse or something...

Being able to lock your server mean anonymous people cant log in when ever they want and we will always know who has access to our server. It would make parsing logs after a hack soooooo much easier.

If every server would be password protected and every server admin would be obligated to give the password for anyone that asks for it, how would this affect the hackers? How do you foresee that a player asking for a password is a hacker?

Because the vast majority of servers would not password protect them regardless, why would a hacker bother registering for the server password when they can simply join one of the many other servers that don't require it with less effort.

I'm sorry but why would rocket care what you think is unacceptable or that you pay for a server? He doesn't get the money you pay for a server. To him it matters nothing if you stop paying for a server and leave. If YOU WANT to rent a server and host DayZ on it, that's your privilege, not your right. His mod, his hive, his rules. Stop demanding something when you have absolutely no grounds what so ever to demand anything.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I do recognize the issue, however. It would be nice if a solution could be found. I don't even disagree with the server locking thing. The wording just irks me.

Edited by Daddy'o

Anyway servers are doing it as we speak regardless of whether rocket allows it or not so I'll prob just stick with them, much more enjoyable when every second game you aren't teleported to the middle of nowhere

Edited by smasht_AU

Fixed. Im sorry, no one ever makes that mistake... I must be a retard, thanks for pointing that out.

actually, everyone who makes this mistake is retarded. there are millions of people that can get it right, myself included. so no, it's not just i'm right and everyone else is dumb, it's the people that get it wrong. sorry.

Because the vast majority of servers would not password protect them regardless, why would a hacker bother registering for the server password when they can simply join one of the many other servers that don't require it with less effort.

If that is the logic this would create two types of servers, one with passwords and no hackers, the others without passwords and lots of hackers. The logical outcome of this is that undeniable majority of servers would be password protected after a while. After this period the hackers would "bother" to target the password protected servers as it would be the next norm. Hackers would be in the meantime probably even more likely to target those password servers as players in those servers could be more dedicate, and thus, possibly better material for hackers to get their lulz, trolololz, satisfaction or whatever.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I do recognize the issue, however. It would be nice if a solution could be found. I don't even disagree with the server locking thing. The wording just irks me.

I find this solution to be far more within reach for the DayZ team than expecting a fix before the standalone which could be Dec. Thats a long time man. Rocket very well may not be able to do anything, but I think he cares enough for the community and DayZ that if a viable solution is presented it may be taken under consideration. If implemented correctly, optional server locking is a completely viable way to help fight against cheaters.

I know some people think that I'm selling this as a perfect 100% hacker free solution, but obviously its not and should never have been considered to be. What it will do is cut down on the per server hacking, give server admins/owners more control, and flush hackers into a much smaller and controlled environment.

Some of these posters lead me to believe that is what really scares them.

actually, everyone who makes this mistake is retarded. there are millions of people that can get it right, myself included. so no, it's not just i'm right and everyone else is dumb, it's the people that get it wrong. sorry.

Your posts have contributed very little to the topic and attacks to the form of argument (in this case the grammar) do not make the underlying argument invalid per se. Neither does attacking the person in the form of alleged inferior intellectual capability. You are aware that you are yourself writing everything in your posts without any capital letters?

I think locking servers is a bad idea because, well, they have all been stated. But I wouldn't disagree with server admins having the power to ban script kiddies. I think making a spectator mode available for the admin, but with a long delay so the admin can't cheat, but can still identify abusers would be nice.

I think it's a great idea and I'm not a server owner. Right now the game is f**ing unplayable because of the script kiddies (please, do not call them hackers, they have more important things to do than messing with a damn game).

I think that with a password protected server, admins can have more control of who's playing on the server, yeah, shit will happen, of course, human stupidity is infinite, but at least you now have a list to narrow the search. We need this and we need it now, people here are complaining about the idea but they propose nothing in return.. "we need a better BE", no shit, really?? Of course we need a better BE, is it coming? I don't know! but I won't wait for it when we can have a solution that won't make me wait more than one or two days.

Some folks said Rocket doesn't care about people shutting down their servers because he's not getting the money they are paying for it. Let me remind you that without these servers, there's no dayz, so yes, Rocket cares a lot about the servers and that's why he's considering the idea.

I'm sure that many of the people here saying this idea would "kill" the game are script kiddies, "hackers will get in anyway" SURE, THIS WE KNOW, but they won't have it easy and if you just want to play to have a f**ing laugh, you won't do it often, at least not THIS often.

This game has potential, even in alpha stage, but these retarded assholes spawning shit or teleporting are DESTROYING the game, right now, it's happening and you are WORRIED for something that MAY or MAY NOT happen with the admins if they have more control in the servers they PAY for...

So, jackcrow, I support your idea, I had the same idea myself and told some admins a while ago. I hope Rocket agrees too.

PS: I'm French, and I speak 3 languages, if you are going to criticize my grammar or anything, write a post this long in French first, and calling someone a retard for making a mistake, it's... retard.