Sign in to follow this  
sethcombs@gmail.com

Is this true about regular vs veteran servers?

Assume you have an in-game map.

In regular servers, when bringing up the map you will appear as a blue dot and thus can navigate effectively without a compass/GPS. In Veteran servers, this is disabled. I got that much. But, is it true that on regular servers that other players will appear on the in-game map as orange bubbles when they are within ~100m of you?

I would really appreciate it if someone could confirm the accuracy of this. It's the main reason that I stay away from regular servers when I am geared.

Thanks all!

How can everyone in the world see you on the map when you play regular?

Assume you have an in-game map.

In regular servers, when bringing up the map you will appear as a blue dot and thus can navigate effectively without a compass/GPS. In Veteran servers, this is disabled. I got that much. But, is it true that on regular servers that other players will appear on the in-game map as orange bubbles when they are within ~100m of you?

I would really appreciate it if someone could confirm the accuracy of this. It's the main reason that I stay away from regular servers when I am geared.

Thanks all!

cant answer your question but i am staying always off of them. white dots, nametags, crosshairs etc. not for me. reminds me always about BF spotting doritos.

whats the purpose anyways to have a GPS on a regular server? veteran only.

i mean rocket wants it to be a hardcore anti-game? tons of handholding in regular servers......sigh

Edited by Bezki

the orange bubble is a zombie that sees you

and.. never play on regular unless you like having exposed name tags and a map that gives your position away to the entire world

Orange bubbles? What you been smokin bro. They're always white. Oh you're talking about on the map? and tags? That's for noobs bugger that. I thought you were talking about the peripheral vision bubbles

Edited by Irenicus

the orange bubble is a zombie that sees you

and.. never play on regular unless you like having exposed name tags and a map that gives your position away to the entire world

That explains a lot. Are there differences in the loot spawn on different difficulties? Such as less spawned items on veteran vs. regular or better gear?

That explains a lot. Are there differences in the loot spawn on different difficulties? Such as less spawned items on veteran vs. regular or better gear?

absolutely NONE

the only difference is it is safer to loot on a veteran server because everybody doesn't have a free gps+ranger finder via the map blips and name tags

Edited by Bulletproof Sandwich

Not sure if Satelites would work properly in a zombie apoloclaypese

Yeah all those zombie space astronaughts knocking out are satilights :(

• Like 4

a zombie apoc would never be a real threat to humanity... Even if it did happen to a country... Hows it going to spread to the rest of the world..

Thats whats missing in alot of shows like the Walking Dead

Orange dot's "MAN" are zeds when they are within 100m of you.

Blue dot's "SURVIVOR" are players.

The blue dots for survivors: Are those also only when within 100m, or across the map?

a zombie apoc would never be a real threat to humanity... Even if it did happen to a country... Hows it going to spread to the rest of the world..

If the virus was airbourne, then GG

i never got an answer to my question. How does playing on regular reveale your position to everyone on the server? Ive played on some regular servers and not seen any players on my minimap but myself and zombies.

In most zombie media it takes a while for people to turn when they've been bitten, they also get paranoid and hide it as if they're not screwing everyone by doing so. All it'd take is one person to board a ferry or a plane and, ta da, a whole new country/continent is infected.

Also, in some zombie media, animals can also get infected (see: Resident Evil), so birds and rats can migrate with the infection.

Is there someplace that shows all the differences between regular and veteran servers? What are the 'player tags' mentioned? Do they float over your head inside a certain distance or something like that?

I was on one server the other night that had the peripheral bubbles showing even when I was looking in the direction of stuff. In other words, I could see where all the Zeds were through the walls/hills/trees. That seemed pretty abnormal, I logged shortly thereafter.

Orange bubbles? What you been smokin bro. They're always white. Oh you're talking about on the map? and tags? That's for noobs bugger that. I thought you were talking about the peripheral vision bubbles

... the dots are orange u weedhead.

Is there someplace that shows all the differences between regular and veteran servers? What are the 'player tags' mentioned? Do they float over your head inside a certain distance or something like that?

I was on one server the other night that had the peripheral bubbles showing even when I was looking in the direction of stuff. In other words, I could see where all the Zeds were through the walls/hills/trees. That seemed pretty abnormal, I logged shortly thereafter.

Player tags are your name that other players can see if they place their crosshair over you from 200m~ away.

Again if you are within 100m~ of an Zed they'll show up on your map and it updates their position every 30 seconds.

Truthfully the main difference between veteran and Regular servers is that Veteran servers have no crosshair, no third person, no GPS enabled on the map.

Reptile: Thank you.

Firemac: According to the info confirmed by Reptile, you were probably further than 100m from another human or Zombie.

Wiley: I know there's a thread explaining all the differences someplace. One thing I remember is that there are presets for servers, but then you can tweak settings. So, you could set up a "Regular" server, and then turn off enough features so that it is every bit like "Veteran" but still list as Regular. At least, that is what I was told. I never ran one of these servers.

What I do is I use DayZ Commander, and I can filter the server results by certain features.

The major thing to watch for when playing in reg servers isnt so much the map....

Its the fact that if a sniper zooms on you.... in vet servers they will have to guess the range or use a rangefinder - in Reg servers it says who you are and how far away the target is (just from having the target within the crosshairs) this lets the sniper zero in his / her rifle alot easier to get that perfect long range shot that never misses. There are tricks of course to do this on vet servers as well without the rangefinder ect... but not really sure if I want to share this.... =P

PS

Blue = survivor but only show within a certain distance.

Orange = man = Zombie.

Edited by NZStalker

The major thing to watch for when playing in reg servers isnt so much the map....

Its the fact that if a sniper zooms on you.... in vet servers they will have to guess the range or use a rangefinder - in Reg servers it says who and are and how far away the target is (just from having the target within the crosshairs) this lets the sniper zero in his / her rifle alot easier to get that perfect long range shot that never misses. There are tricks of course to do this on vet servers as well without the rangefinder ect... but not really sure if I want to share this.... =P

PS

Blue = survivor but only show within a certain distance.

Orange = man = Zombie.

I forgot to add in about the Range finder. Thanks for adding that mate.

Actually, this is explained in Walking Dead. Read it again. Or watch it. Or play it. It is explained in all of them.

Also, World War Z.

Not sure if Satelites would work properly in a zombie apoloclaypese

Im not sure why not. I mean, unless there is a 'middle man' b/w satellite and GPS, then the only thing that would be an issue is the GPS battery. If there is a middle man between GPS and satellite, then we may have issues. But if not then i see no troubles.

is there some place offical that lists the difference ??

cuz ive played on recruit servers, with no 3DP and no crosshairs, but also played on VET servers that had those options..

is the whole recruit-vet setting just something left over from the ARMAII engine ??

are Zs easier or harder to kill depending on the "grade" of server ???

guess im just a noob whos unsure which servers i should be filtering out or playing on for what im looking for..

basicly i wanna find server that make playing the game as easy as possible (like thats possible in DayZ), but dont wanna be easier sniper bait then i have to be.. i dont PVP, but i accept that i could be poped anytime when out in the open exploring.. i just dont wanna give that player any additional info then necc. such as that nametag/range thingy..

thx in advance

Edited by Siberian