Never

Are people playing DayZ like CoD/BF because..

Do you want to read the thread calm the fuck down and realise i agree with you?

:huh: Who's excited? Just making a point mate.

Glad we agree.

Honestly, if I were to call friendly right now with my character, most would shoot on sight.

A Bush Wookie with an M14, plus two GPS's is not a comforting sight for most.

Why would u need two GPS's for?

This game has escalated from lets be friends and survive together to, whoever I see will be filled with bullets. It sucks, but thats the way thing are. Have you ever watched the Twilight Zone? There's this episode called "Monsters on Maple Street." We will tear ourselves apart due to paranoia and mistrust. Really though I agree with the weapons. In an apocalypse there wouldn't be 50 Cals and LMG's everywhere, I'm going to sound like a hypocrite but if these "rare weapons" were made EVEN MORE RARER the game would be better (I have an A550 and a ghillie suit so irony) But they should also eliminate loot spawns from specific places. It makes sense if cans and food spawn more in markets, but when military grade weaponry that shouldn't be common in times of desperation only magically spawn in a 4 room compound and only there, people get the greedy hostile feeling. This also gives a reason for people to camp those specific places. And when multiple people try to camp these places PVP erupts and chaos. They should make it so M4A3,NVG's, etc. aren't restricted to only one place, but make them spawn in any place but give them a .25% to be found. So really those lucky enough to have them are in few numbers. Which means less people who tend to be hostile.

Edited by shypatrick

1) Make a system that actually stops server hoppers. Whether it's a cooldown or a temp ban, I don't care.

2) Rocket reworks the spawn rates and areas for military weapons and make ammo rarer. Hunting stands should have CZ 550s, 870s, and M24s, for example, instead of assault rifles.

3) Reset hive. This gets rid of all duped items. EVERYONE gets a clean slate.

This would help restore a bit of sanity to deathmatch with zeds DayZ.

And when you think about it, even with the large military presence in Chernarus, why would they leave a whole lot of gear lying around? Why are they in working condition, too; a coastal environment wreaks havok on anything not properly stored, and even an AKM would start rusting after a year or two near the sea. Not to mention all the initial survivors that would've dumped Old Uncle Olov's hunting rifle for a neat-o M4A1 in a dead soldier's hands...

Okay, I can see making hunting stands have less assault rifles, but...more common CZ550s seems like a bad plan. Lee Enfields are bad enough already, increasing the spawn rate on a high powered, scoped rifle is just a bad plan.

But back to this point, it does have a place yes, but do you think it should so widely spread?

I actually don't, no.

But I also think it is widely spread mostly because duplicating items is so easy right now with tent cheats and vehicle cheats.

Once the duplication exploits are fixed we can come back and have a discussion about how common the items are.

I've looted a LOT of helicopter crash sites and I've only ever seen one M107 and 2 AS50's legitimately.

I think they seem so common because a lot of people have no qualms about turning 1 rifle into 2, 4, 8, 16, etc. with a few dupe cheats.

Then factor in the fact that these clips refill themselves when players logout and you have a recipe for feeling like this stuff is too common when really it's actually quite rare...

I totally agree. I hate sniper rifles and povverful guns, I vvish there vvas only medium to close range vveapons. It's exhillerating dieing in a close quarters firefight. It's boring vvalking and just getting sniped.

I totally agree. I hate sniper rifles and povverful guns, I vvish there vvas only medium to close range vveapons. It's exhillerating dieing in a close quarters firefight. It's boring vvalking and just getting sniped.

Maybe you need to learn how to avoid snipers. Understand terrain. Don't run in straight lines. And always run thinking that someone can kill you at any time if you're not careful.

Then factor in the fact that these clips refill themselves when players logout and you have a recipe for feeling like this stuff is too common when really it's actually quite rare...

I've heard a lot of people complaining about this recently; my own understanding was that it was put in place because the Arma OA Engine will delete/drop any partially filled mags so as a workaround Day Z fills the mags up on disconnect. I'm not saying it's a good thing, only that it's preferable to the alternative.

Maybe you need to learn how to avoid snipers. Understand terrain. Don't run in straight lines. And always run thinking that someone can kill you at any time if you're not careful.

That's a bit ridiculous, a sniper is an undetectable threat. You can minimize your risk but at the end of the day you need to scavenge which means putting yourself in a position where a sniper can hit you. What we need is fewer teenage tards sniping for the hell of it.

• Like 1

Another thread crying about dying at first contact. If you don't want to get shot, don't be seen or shoot them before they shoot you. Sometimes in order to win, you have to switch up your play-style.

-MONSTER

No matter what there will always be the 'best' gun. Whether its the best of a crap lot doesn't matter, people will use it and want it to gain an advantage. This is realistic due to the fact that military equipment can be found especially due to the fact that people use this in order to gain an advantage over others. I guarantee that people would indeed go around killing others in a real-life apocalypse and like-wise people hunting for the finest weapons available to them.

No matter what there will always be the 'best' gun. Whether its the best of a crap lot doesn't matter, people will use it and want it to gain an advantage. This is realistic due to the fact that military equipment can be found especially due to the fact that people use this in order to gain an advantage over others. I guarantee that people would indeed go around killing others in a real-life apocalypse and like-wise people hunting for the finest weapons available to them.

Don't make predictions about things you have no understanding of. Unless you're a neuroscientist, evolutionary biologist or a psychologist, please don't try to preach about it.

Edited by Athrins

if all i was left with was a hatchet, a crowbar, an einfeld, a cz550, and a winchester + a shotgun or two

id get very bored very fast

Id also never have a reason to travel north

also in a zombie apocalypse where humans need guns to defend themselves I bet they would try and find a more powerful gun rather than using a pistol.

<span style="color: #dda0dd">Another thread crying about dying at first contact.

-MONSTER

Man you didn't read it at all did you?

This thread has nothing to do with the way myself or anyone else plays DayZ, its about the fact that theres seems to be more Mil-grade weapons in a eastern european backwater than is owned by the U.S Army.

Also a lot of people seem to be stuck in the train of thought that DayZ is close to being a complete product, it isn't. There is a lot of fixing core issues and bugs and then still a LOT of content fixing to be done.

Edited by Never

Make a character bound to a server, then let the admin on that server you play on deside what gear will spawn. In that way you will get many differend playstyles and all will be happy ^^

People don't act this way due to the military gear, there is little proof of that. If you gave someone a gun, whether it be a Makarov or an M4A1, then the person is going to have some thoughts about killing people.

They do it because they can. They have the freedom to do whatever the hell they want.

So we all know the obvious answers here.

1) Throw out camping tents. Boom, gone forever. Now everyone who dies loses everything, period. Unless your friends feel like guarding your dead body out in the open in the place where you were just killed.

The rest of these talk about the arcade-ization of weaponry in a game that purports to be realistic, and I think this is the heart of the problem with the scramble for and hoarding of guns.

2) Military weapons need to be nerfed back down to realistic stopping powers because right now they're just stupid fake. 5.45 NATO is NOT a scary caliber. It's a caliber designed for less recoil and to wound enemies instead of kiling them. Half of the military weapons in this game use STANAG NATO caliber, which is designed to slow enemies down and take them off the front line, not to kill them. Hell, most of those sniper rifles are chambered in similar calibers to the AKM and AK-47. They shouldn't be doing as much damage as they currently do. According to some tables, they should do maybe 2/3rds of their current damage while the STANAG round guns should do about 1/3rd to half of their current damage in relation to the .45s.

The non-.45 ACP pistols should actually do a lot more damage than damage tables I've seen. Technically, you should probably swap the damage of STANAG weapons with the damage of all of the non-.45 pistols to be closer to the effect they have if they were to enter your body. Seriously, these are decent-caliber weapons with very lethal potential at close range, as opposed to the long series of NATO caliber incapacitating weapons that people keep charging military bases to loot. Yes, they have burst fire and auto-fire, but they're not as deadly as your sidearm in close quarters on semi-automatic.

The advantage to getting military style weapons should be the automatic and burst fire capabilities, the range, and the handling improvements of what is usually a smaller caliber weapon. Once you move into high caliber rifles, we should be talking about VERY LOUD weapons with BIG RECOIL. One and done/bug out and run weapons that are useless unless you're lying on your stomach or crouching. Absolutely useless between shots.

So basically, damage should be closer to this:

STANAG weapons/AK-74/M249 < < < AKM/AK-47/Dragunov/DMR weapons/M24 caliber sniper rifles/FN FAL/M240/ < < CZ550 < Lee Enfield < Every pistol + PDW except ... < Revolver/M1911 < < M107/AS50 < < < < SHOTGUNS!!!!!

But...that's not quite how damage works in this game. For some reason ALL of the military weapons have more powerful rounds than guns you find at home. If this game were realistic, then a CZ550 would be more dangerous than most of the military sniper rifles people are raiding NWAF for. Those machine guns would be dangerous, of course, but not more dangerous than a pistol in a crowded room.

The winchester, M1014, and double-barrel shotguns would be death on a stick in a realistic version of this game. STANAG M4's and M16s would be scary but manageable in a shootout unless you took one to the dome. But it's really the pistols you need to freak out about. Rebalancing the weapons so that they were more realistic would be interesting because it would mean bandits wouldn't have drastic advantages over new players. It means everyone would have a chance at finding a decent weapon. And it would also unclutter the hoarding from airstrip runs since a M14 would actually be less dangerous than a Lee Enfield.

On a further note, do you think bandits would be so casual about sniping newspawns if their M24 was actually a less dangerous weapon than a CZ550 someone found in a barn? Imagine if that newspawn survived, hit a barn half a kilometer away, and then snuck up right behind that camper with the damage advantage?

Furthermore, if it took four or five M16 rounds to put someone down, that auto-fire would suddenly seem a little less daunting. Especially if it only took two or three of your big fat ACP rounds to take your opponent out.

Just saying, the key to rebalancing things and making the game more competitive is not to remove the military weapons, it's to bump them back down to the bottom of the damage charts *where they belong* and to treat the semi-automatic and bolt-action showstoppers, like the winchester and the M1014 and the CZ550 and the .45 ACP, like the true beasts they are.

3) I mentioned this elsewhere, but guns should attract a lot more zombies. And they shouldn't go away as long as you keep shooting. I've run around in an ATC and attracted zombies climbing up ladders. But I've seen video of people firing rifles and not attracting any attention at all. Sorry, guns should be the ultimate zombie magnet. Even more than flares.

P.S. The hatchet should be the most ridiculous weapon in the game that doesn't explode in your face. It's a hatchet. Do you know what hatchets do to people? Seriously, the damage for the hatchet needs to be increased even more, those things lop off body parts and disembowel people and sever heads off their shoulders.

Edited by BazBake
  • Like 1

Agreed, But should a 15km x 15km area contain 60 people with .50Cal weapons? Does any modern military even deploy that many in such a small area?

Its not about what guns exist, its about if Dayz is a survival game with PVP or another Mil-themed FPS.

We can't tell until we have an actual infection lol...They probably would if they were trying to contain it.

If you don't want to get shot, don't be seen or shoot them before they shoot you.

-MONSTER

This I find to be advice which cannot be fully implemented. Yes, you can avoid heavily populated areas, but you will get the occasional sniper going around and hiding in weird places. The main problem with this game is that it is more like BF than it is like a zombie survival game.

People have made some great suggestions. I completely agree with removing tents since it fixes the lack of fear associated with death, and the hoarding of good gear. Also, maybe have tents which are placed randomly that players can't add items to which would contain rare weapons, rather than having them stored in military outfits. Really, if one year has past since the outbreak, there wouldn't be gear at the military bases, but in people's houses and hidden away in hard-to-find places.

EDIT: Another thing that needs to change is the difficulty of the zeds. If the players are more scary than the zombies, then it needs to be fixed. The idea of zombie survival (as I see it) is to work together with other survivors and try and survive the outbreak.

Edited by KDRiLLER

From my experience the problem is as follows:

Normal dayz:

Zeds are piss easy

Easy to obtain gear

Nothing to do but kill other players

Outcome:

90% kill on sight

Dayz 2017

Has only enfield as best weapon

So little food

Zeds still not a threat

Outcome:

99% kill on sight as every drop of water is needed for your own survival, theres no enough to go around

DAYZ +

Zombies are a real threat

No player killer AS50s

No high end gear

Outcome: well for me its been a 50% chance of encountering someone who wants help and wont shoot you for it.

The problem is the zombie threat, nothing else.

When the zombies are a threat, some people band together to fight a common enemy, they still might shoot you later, but when you actually need another person your less likely to kill them

• Like 1

If you are this upset with the amount of pvp and high grade military weapons, the standalone won't be for you. Maybe someone will make a carebear mod for people like you

If you are this upset with the amount of pvp and high grade military weapons, the standalone won't be for you. Maybe someone will make a carebear mod for people like you

Really, its been said many times the zombies in the standalone are going to be a real threat.

I have no idea who this is aimed at as it was after my post but wasnt quoted, but as I said:

"In my experience"

I never said I dont like high grade military weapons and your wrong anyway, it would be complelety pointless making a standalone that mirrors the mod by not adding more player interaction when rocket has already said hes adding more things to try and get players to work together such as base building and zombies that will be a problem.

Even though the players will still obviously be the main threat the zombies will actually do something in the stand alone other than stand there moaning

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior

weapons should be basic tbh

rifles like used in ww2 which people would have shotguns are fine and pistols

axes and melee weapons like bats , pipes , metal bar , swords are what 99 percent of people would use to protect themselves.

what has happended is just lately custom content has started to turn dayz into wastelands . this doesnt need to happen.

so just get rid of super snipers and super rare milartary super guns which noone would have as it ruins the game tbh and often the people who actually use these often are talentless camping nabs spawn raping

Edited by dgeesio
  • Like 1