Well now it's just a matter of the server being down. That's not against TOS.

you are right, its only against the rules if they put the server back up.

Well now it's just a matter of the server being down. That's not against TOS.

I agree, but hell, as long as it's down they do not risk any raiding from the angry forum mob in this thread that want nothing more than to teach them a lesson :)

I could see myself walk in with an inventory ful of satchel charges...

Oh wait, that wouldn't do anything they would turn the server off immediately to use the rollback bug.

Edited by Lady Kyrah

Taking down the server gives no advantage to the admins.

Yes it means that they vehicles that they have found are somewhat protected, but the server is not locked, they are not loot hunting.

I routinely shut my server down at nights, the main reason being there is no admin present and I don't want the server unattended for 10-12 hours. My server is usually up well over 18 hours a day and I leave it on over the weekends (as the 2 other admins play at night then)

I get that people who are displeased with servers being brought down solely to protect the admin/clan assets.

However the people who want free reign during the quite hours are further south on the moral compass, they simply want to pillage unprotected bases.

People pillaging my base is fine (finders keepers really) the server getting raped while I am at work or sleeping is more of an issue. I agree that this is borderline abuse, but it's not close enough for me

Taking down the server gives no advantage to the admins.

Yes it means that they vehicles that they have found are somewhat protected, but the server is not locked, they are not loot hunting.

I routinely shut my server down at nights, the main reason being there is no admin present and I don't want the server unattended for 10-12 hours. My server is usually up well over 18 hours a day and I leave it on over the weekends (as the 2 other admins play at night then)

I get that people who are displeased with servers being brought down solely to protect the admin/clan assets.

However the people who want free reign during the quite hours are further south on the moral compass, they simply want to pillage unprotected bases.

People pillaging my base is fine (finders keepers really) the server getting raped while I am at work or sleeping is more of an issue. I agree that this is borderline abuse, but it's not close enough for me

Taking down the server gives advantages to the admins. They decide when they want to fight for their stuff and only when they wish to. If they are subject to a lot of attacks from looters, they can decide to turn the server off until the attackers get bored. It's a vault.

Those guys have other servers that are running 24/7. So yeah , a few guys fill their inventories/backpacks of goodies on their other servers, or... any servers really, move to green mountain and log off.

They bring their "protected" server up, everyone logs on, put the goodies in the tents under the watchful eyes of a few thermal and snipers, do whatever they have to do and then turn it back off.

Edited by Lady Kyrah

Taking down the server gives advantages to the admins. They decide when they want to fight for their stuff and only when they wish to. If they are subject to a lot of attacks from looters, they can decide to turn the server off until the attackers get bored. It's a vault.

Those guys have other servers that are running 24/7. So yeah , a few guys fill their inventories/backpacks of goodies on their other servers, or... any servers really, move to green mountain and log off.

They bring their "protected" server up, everyone logs on, put the goodies in the tents under the watchful eyes of a few thermal and snipers, do whatever they have to do and then turn it back off.

Right on the dote Kyrah.

This server is just a vault.

When can I make a deposit?

• Like 1

Hey, I'm new to the fourms and saw this thread. After reading it all I have come to a perfect, rational conclusion.

Suck it up.

Thats right, I made an account just to tell all you cry babies to suck it up. Why would you even care about the inability to join this server. Do you just want to seige the GM base when no one is there? You want to hack or destroy it when the group can't defend it? Pathetic. If this is such a big problem like you all make it out to be, Rocket would have taken care of it already anyways. He's not blind or dumb.

Now I can see it coming. "BLRAGRHG that guy never backed up his argument and there for it's invalid Blargrghh". First, if your worried about how this server gets to ignore the rules and others can't, don't be. Seriously there are hundreds of other servers out there. Chances are atleast 100 to 150 of them will have admins who will not just shut down or lock the server when ever they feel like getting an advantage, even if the rules were never enforced.

Next, let me tell you a story. I saw this base when lurking the forums and thought "Damn I'll drop by and visit". Well I could'nt find the server and assumed it was my bad connection. I joind US 1037 and hiked all the way to green mountain from the east coast, stopped at the base, and logged off. The server was still not up, then I found this post. Now instead of crying "Ohhhhh this server is so unfair, they are having fun against the rules" like the rest of you, I sucked it up and went on another server.

Why can't YOU ALL do that? Why can't you just admit the servers down, and nothing is going to be done about it. Currently on my computer there are EFFFING HUNDREDS OF SERVERS TO JOIN! Just pick one and get over it. Steal someone elses beans. Play somewhere else. Problem solved. End of story.

Because all the servers share the same database and what happens on one server affect the others. It has been clearly stated that just because you rent a server doesn't mean you get to have any privileges, yet this sort of thing is happening time and time again.

If this is allowed to continue, we will only get more of this type of clan vaults.

Edited by Lady Kyrah

BEWARE - The same restrictions apply to Non-Dev run servers!

- IT MAY NEVER BE PASSWORDED

- NO OTHER KEYS OR MODS. NONE. PERIOD.

- NO KICKING TO MAKE ROOM FOR 'FRIENDS' OR CLANMATES

- NO LOCKING THE SERVER

- NO EDITING DAYZ/MISSION FILES

- IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO UPDATE YOUR SERVER TO THE LATEST VERSION OF DAYZ

-BATTLEYE MUST BE ENABLED

- Minimum slot count of 40 (30 for countries where bandwidth is expensive i.e. developing countries)

- Their are only two reasons why you, as a server owner, should ban a player on your server. Those two reasons are: Malicious talk, and racism. You may not ban a user for stealing your loot, killing you, spying on you, etc.

- You may only kick for disruptive behavior (such as continued VOIP over side channel). But you may not kick due to race or language or because the person does something you do not like.

- Kicking for extremely excessive ping or desync is permitted, but if abused is grounds for blacklisting

Failure to adhere to these rules will BAN YOUR SERVER'S IP from DayZ.

Ok I am not in any way taking one side or the other. The only thing I want to look at is a few variables that everyone is trying to touch on. Rules are rules. Us as Server Admin have to adhere by there, how they are stated, no mater what or fear the issue of being blacklisted. This is something I 100% accept as a server admin, so I continue to do what I must in accordance with DayZ.

As initially stated by others in this thread, there is NO rule on shutting down a server. There is NO rule on the amount of times the server can be restarted. There is no RULE on what Rocket stated as a "Living World". If the rules stated that the Server Admins could NOT shut down the server, or were ONLY allowed to restart so many times, or COULDN'T keep it down. Then I am with everyone who says, "BURN THE WITCH, HE IS USING IT AS A VAULT."

However, there is no rule. Zero.

This whole thread pushes Server Admins against other server admins. The issue isn't him shutting down the server. It's "We keep ours up and lose all of our shit day in and day out, get hacked, threatened for blacklist blah blah."

The guy(or girl) probably got tired of constantly being teleported to, killed from out of no where, shooting people who can't die, teleporting for a TDM, seeing guns in the game, etc.

My thing is, if he wants to shutdown the server.... let him shut the fucker down. If you feel it is unfair, then you shut yours down. Hell i'll shut mine down and we can all go play some other game together.

THEN if all of us shutdown, maybe the Devs will be like, "We should make that a rule, they can't shut down either." TADA, then everyone who cried about it wins. He has to stay open for business, the monthly hack-a-thon continues, and we can all get back to our merry lives here in DayZ.

Where no one gives a shit about anyone else, hackers run rampant, and we have to say, "Yes please harder, but don't mind the lube, i'm already used to it."

If i were on that server and they shut it down, i would be kicked, now is shutting a server down and kicking everyone off considered a kick? What i do not understand is if they want to shut it down because there are no admins online, why not find an admin that can be on? The whole shut down during the night because everyone is sleeping excuse is just bullshit because they can find an admin to cover that time they just use it as a lame excuse. The restrictions the developers put on these servers are kinda ridiculous but to shut down a server to horde all of their goodies is lame, i can guarantee during the downtime their members are on other servers collecting gear to bring it back to their server once its online, now is that fair to those other server admins? Why should their members get to go to other servers raid tents and stuff then bring the items back and shut the server off not allowing anyone else a chance to attack and retrieve the items they took?

• Like 1

If you get hackers, Record it and send it to the dev team.

And how do you suppose we do that? Take my server as an example (NO 56).

I have no way of seeing whos who ingame. You cant see who kills who.

Video doesnt count as shit when it comes to proving anything, and neither does screenshots. The dude in the screenshot could literally be ANYONE!

What I can do on the other hand, is check my logs, and kick/ban the sucker. But wait, no I cant. I'm not allowed!

What should I do? IP-filtration? Or do you expect me to start hacking myself, so that I can god myself in the name of adminhood so when the hacker teleports me, he cant kill me, and maybe I can figure out who it is?

The current DayZ ruleset _DOES NOT_ allow admins to take action against hackers. It actually favours hackers. And I find this very odd, are the entire dev team hackers? Is that why they have hacker-friendly rules?

(PS, not accusing, just .. rambling)

The fact of the matter (on topic) is that shutting down your server for any period of time other than maintenance IS exploiting. You are controlling who can play.

Say you have alot of friends that play. You turn the server on, and PM them that its on. When the last one leaves you shut it down because "there isnt an admin on". What you are actually doing is making sure noone can loot your shit. Any server that does this should be instablacklisted.

ALso, someone mentioned a minimum uptime. While I believe that is a good idea, 99% may be too little depending on how you look at it. (Per month? week? year?)

1% of a week is 1.68 hours. THis is NOT alot.

I have to admit that I dont see the problem with a user being banned from a server. Most likely you fucked up somehow, and deserve it. Go cry to your mommy, and play another server. I honestly do not see the problem.

(Unless we are talking admin abuse, which can be a real problem)

By the way, I think locked servers should be allowed for large groups who want a server to themselves. Just have it be so the locked servers have their own save data and that public servers have their own. Everyone wins.

Just my two cents.

I gave you my beans before I read your entire thread. What you are saying here is insanity. Noone should be allowed to have a free-haven to hoard items safely. Locking a server should NEVER EVER be allowed.

On the other hand I would like to see rocket having two hives, or two gamemodes if you like. PVP and NON-PVP. The players that like adventure and danger will play PVP, and those that like RP will play non-PVP. (Difficulty would have to be alot higher on the latter). Zombies per today are rediculoussly easy.

I don't understand where in the DayZ Server rules it says, "Server admins are NEVER EVER EVER EVER NEVER allowed to shut down their servers for ANY reason... OR WE WILL COME TO YOUR HOUSE AND KILL YOU!!!11^^!!11@!" I've looked around and the only thing I could find was the rule about locking servers. Shutting down a server because it cannot be policed or watched by its admins is in no way harmful to other players. If anything it actually proves the admins care about their players and want to protect their player's camps and investments. I mean, how would you feel if you logged on one day and you're camp got destroyed because some hacker decided to go on a rampage at 7:00am and no one was there to stop him? I would be much more annoyed then I would be if I was simply not allowed to play at crazy times of the day in the morning.

I don't understand where in the DayZ Server rules it says, "Server admins are NEVER EVER EVER EVER NEVER allowed to shut down their servers for ANY reason... OR WE WILL COME TO YOUR HOUSE AND KILL YOU!!!11^^!!11@!" I've looked around and the only thing I could find was the rule about locking servers. Shutting down a server because it cannot be policed or watched by its admins is in no way harmful to other players. If anything it actually proves the admins care about their players and want to protect their player's camps and investments. I mean, how would you feel if you logged on one day and you're camp got destroyed because some hacker decided to go on a rampage at 7:00am and no one was there to stop him? I would be much more annoyed then I would be if I was simply not allowed to play at crazy times of the day in the morning.

You cant find it in the rules because its self-explainatory. Shutting down the server for a period of time prevents people playing, directly prevents bandits looting unguarded camps. Therefore creating an unfair advantage for those playing on that server,which is not allowed. Shutting down the server when you go to bed, and turning it back on when you log on is excactly the same as locking the server. You limit who can play there.

"If anything it actually proves the admins care about their players and want to protect their player's camps and investments."

Cant you see this is the problem? Its admin abuse!

Can you see that survivors are only one part of the game? Bandits is the other?

"I mean, how would you feel if you logged on one day and you're camp got destroyed because some hacker decided to go on a rampage at 7:00am and no one was there to stop him? I would be much more annoyed then I would be if I was simply not allowed to play at crazy times of the day in the morning. "

That would be crappy, but hey.. its life.. I was the one that left that camp unguarded. Cannot blame ANYONE else. Unfortunately at this points hackers are "a part" of the game. While we server owners/admins do what we can to limit it, theres only so much we can do. Shutting down the server for a lengthy period of time is NEVER acceptable.

Hackers is a fact of life. There will always be someone out there who wants to destroy for others, it being hackers, or bandits. Deal with it.

Now server owner whos thread this is about: Stop the damn admin abuse!

Edited by AndreasB

Honestly the servers are owned and operated by people not Rocket or his staff. If he wants 24/7 uptime he can front the money for the servers and pay the staff of admins to be on that server 24/7. Without admins chaos ensues and hackers run rampant. Rocket runs the game portion. Meaning stuff inside the game (zombies, equipment, weapons, etc) are his portion on this 2 way street. People who pay for a server have the say on when that server is online period. The locking of a server is an issue because it makes it a single player or LAN game and not an online multiplayer game. As long as when the server comes up its open to the public, it won't be a violation of the TOS.

Hive servers are not owned by the admins, the hardware may be, but the hive connection and software license belong to the Dayz team. By lending said server they agree to abide by the rules set forth by the Dayz team. Not all of the rules are clearly defined, leaving a grey area. Thats where clarification posts like this need to come into play. Intentionally bringing down a server to "safeguard" your camp, vehicles, gear etc. should not be allowed. By shutting the server down while you are sleeping you are removing an integral part of the game. Giving you and your clan immunity to raiders while you sleep. This is not how the mechanic was intended to work for obvious reasons. I would call this a loophole at best, which is why clarification is needed. Also the Dayz dev team has and maintains the right to alter server requirements as needed

as players will typically always find loopholes and way around particular guidelines. While it isn't the same as locking your server, its providing a completely safe haven for the equipment you have collected. Dayz is a persistant world therefor this is not acceptable.

Anubis AKA SgtCrustySox

Flame if you like, or take you ball and go home, either way I don't care. What I do care about is helping to make Dayz the best it can be.

Edited by Anubis
  • Like 2

I gave you my beans before I read your entire thread. What you are saying here is insanity. Noone should be allowed to have a free-haven to hoard items safely. Locking a server should NEVER EVER be allowed.

On the other hand I would like to see rocket having two hives, or two gamemodes if you like. PVP and NON-PVP. The players that like adventure and danger will play PVP, and those that like RP will play non-PVP. (Difficulty would have to be alot higher on the latter). Zombies per today are rediculoussly easy.

It's a private hive, they already exist :P

FUCKING IDIOTS they are closing down the server to stop people attacking the base at its weakest....(few people guarding it) that is protecting the loot and unfair...it doesnt matter if no-one can go on the server the thing that matters is they protect the base when its at its weakest by turning off the server

We had a hacker consistently hitting us when we had about 30 people on, and couldnt identify him. So we dropped it for a bit, put it back up, and he showed back up. Server has been back up for a while now.

FUCKING IDIOTS they are closing down the server to stop people attacking the base at its weakest....(few people guarding it) that is protecting the loot and unfair...it doesnt matter if no-one can go on the server the thing that matters is they protect the base when its at its weakest by turning off the server

Holy thread revival batman, way to waste everyone's time talking about a dead server and clan.

photo-thumb-92327.gif?_r=1345665336 Posted Arcralf on 07 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

snapback.pngduckman416, on 07 October 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

The reason they wont see you is because gary tele'd you there.... im looking at the logs.

Have fun not playing on our server anymore =)

Posted Arcralf on 07 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

Have fun having nobody on your server.

I support Free 100%, and doubt he did anything to cheat. Ragesumption, go to hell.

Hey Arfcalf.... remember that??

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/208.109.168.215:2302/

We have the #8 server for all of ARMA.

Dumbass....

I will down my server when I damned well please.

I protested the very stringent rules from the very beginning of DayZ (16th DayZ server), and we've never had issues with the DayZ team over our policies. We were also one of the first to reenable side chat after the team disabled it.

• Like 1