lol its not my mod or my game i'm simply repeating rockets vision of DayZ. So, your comment is stupid and makes no sense directed at me.

Blacklisting a perfectly good server, because they don't play the game, the way -YOU- want them to play the game, is fucked up. So many people love this server, and blacklisting is crushing peoples fun in the game, to team-up, and survive in the Zombie Apocalypse.

I am not sure why you said this. DayZ is a Game itself. One of which was stated to have a specific way to play by the DayZ staff for right now. They don't want it changed. So you can go 'Backlashing against the admins and doing whatever you want because you won't play the way they tell you to play the game they are designing'... You aren't just supposed to fight zombies alone. Bandits are here also and you can't avoid that as it is a core part of the game.

@ Scipio - I don't understand why you said that. It is Rockets intention, you might as well tell him "Want Persistent World, Take out Loot Spawns." But he DOES want that... I understand some people don't, but it is his game and his HIVE which you all are connected too.

I guess I will ask a very important question.

As much as it is argued "OMG DONT TELL US HOW TO PLAY." Who are you to tell Rocket how he should develop his game...? Aren't you being a little contradictory with your statements when you tell players not to tell you what to do while you blatantly give Rocket and the Devs the middle finger? We are here to give Rocket Feedback on his design and improve on it. Not to completely eliminate a core gameplay element of DayZ and go "don't tell us how to play."

Edited by U.B.C.S. Ravin
  • Like 1

No Mac, I'm calling you pedantic for insisting that you can dictate an ad hoc TOS based on interviews he gave. As it is right now, the DayZ's server hosting TOS is a list of about a dozen bullet points on a forum post. It's worthless and we all know it; that's why you had to quote something Rocket said about persistent world to support your argument and why Ravin had to PM a dev. If DayZ had a thorough TOS, all you would have to do is look up the article regarding uptime regulations or accaptable banning procedures, quote the section saying it is forbidden to shut down the server for x amount of time, and we'd be done here. But that TOS doesn't exist, instead we have to think in terms of "Rocket's vision" of Dayz, which he himself has admitted has changed drastically over the past months.

Yes, shuting down a server for hours on end is exessive, and should stop since it's not in the spirit of the DayZ survival game, but instead of going to the dev's and starting a level headed discussion about how to make clearer rules to stop these situations, everyone jumps on the blacklisting bandwagon without any real information. You can't pass a verdict based on a rule that closest applies, it's like saying "well, we don't have a law against stealing car stereos, but we have one against grand theft auto; so we're just gunna try you for that."

Edited by Scipio1770
  • Like 1

So Scorpio, you have proven you didn't read my rocket "quote" on persistent world. GJ, bro Gj, way to not even read the opening post.

lol to all the people hear you just might get what you want. The server has been down for over 24 hours. But luckily it has nothing to do with this thread and all the haters who infest it.

No Mac, I'm calling you pedantic for insisting that you can dictate an ad hoc TOS based on interviews he gave. As it is right now, the DayZ's server hosting TOS is a list of about a dozen bullet points on a forum post. It's worthless and we all know it; that's why you had to quote something Rocket said about persistent world to support your argument and why Ravin had to PM a dev. If DayZ had a thorough TOS, all you would have to do is look up the article regarding uptime regulations or accaptable banning procedures, quote the section saying it is forbidden to shut down the server for x amount of time, and we'd be done here. But that TOS doesn't exist, instead we have to think in terms of "Rocket's vision" of Dayz, which he himself has admitted has changed drastically over the past months.

Yes, shuting down a server for hours on end is exessive, and should stop since it's not in the spirit of the DayZ survival game, but instead of going to the dev's and starting a level headed discussion about how to make clearer rules to stop these situations, everyone jumps on the blacklisting bandwagon without any real information. You can't pass a verdict based on a rule that closest applies, it's like saying "well, we don't have a law against stealing car stereos, but we have one against grand theft auto; so we're just gunna try you for that."

Everyone jumps on the blacklisting badnwagon because this is yet another case of "i skirt the rules and you can't do shit about it" There is such a thing called common sense. We are not in a court where we can argue on and on about a typo in a law written a century ago, we are between grown adults (for the most part) and when someone skirt around the rules and look at me with a troll face he gets a slap in the face.

So yes, the rules need more precision. But those who think they can be smartasses shouldn't just get out unscathed.

Edited by Lady Kyrah
  • Like 2

Ok for all the people that are 'for' shutting down US 1038 permanently and are totally disregarding what all of what we're saying. Simply what we are trying to say but many of us have tried to put so much detail in to explain to you is, Shutting down the server for a uncertain amount of time is different to locking the server.

Heres why:

Server shutdown-

NO-ONE can access the server, thats final. So no one can gain an advantage from playing on this server because NO-ONE CAN JOIN!

Stops hackers a lot more effectively from harming the server and players in-game entities they've worked so hard on getting and maintaining.

Locking the server:

A few specific people can join and 'lock' the server to prevent anyone else from joining and causing a threat to the players in the game while they loot high-priority places easier and players camp sites (tents, trucks etc)

Thats the difference, once the server is shutdown, no one can do ANYTHING on the server so no one has a benefit. The reason why there is a rule against LOCKING the server is because people can gain an unfair advantage.

But with all that said I can not deny what some people are saying. By shutting down the server the server host is preventing hackers from destroying the server. But at the same time stopping people playing on the server and potentially looting player camps that aren't on. So really blocking people from what they should always be able to do.

So there are both positives and negatives to this situation.

Ok for all the people that are 'for' shutting down US 1038 permanently and are totally disregarding what all of what we're saying. Simply what we are trying to say but many of us have tried to put so much detail in to explain to you is, Shutting down the server for a uncertain amount of time is different to locking the server.

Heres why:

Server shutdown-

NO-ONE can access the server, thats final. So no one can gain an advantage from playing on this server because NO-ONE CAN JOIN!

Stops hackers a lot more effectively from harming the server and players in-game entities they've worked so hard on getting and maintaining.

Locking the server:

A few specific people can join and 'lock' the server to prevent anyone else from joining and causing a threat to the players in the game while they loot high-priority places easier and players camp sites (tents, trucks etc)

Thats the difference, once the server is shutdown, no one can do ANYTHING on the server so no one has a benefit. The reason why there is a rule against LOCKING the server is because people can gain an unfair advantage.

But with all that said I can not deny what some people are saying. By shutting down the server the server host is preventing hackers from destroying the server. But at the same time stopping people playing on the server and potentially looting player camps that aren't on. So really blocking people from what they should always be able to do.

So there are both positives and negatives to this situation.

and what you dont understand... while your server is shutdown, no one is in threat of being attacked or raided, while the rest of the servers who are doing whats right, are. Your buddy said it him self in this thread, "we shut down the server when no admins are on because we dont want ours and other peoples camps getting raided or attacked when we are not on."

it is an advantage on the servers part because there are less times the players of that server cn meet an unfortunate end, where as other servers are at risk 24/7. if every server was doing what you are.. it would be horrible and game crippling in regards to testing in this alpha.

---and why Ravin had to PM a dev.

I PM'd a Dev to strengthen my point and to ask questions because its not specified, but clearly not intended to be that way with someone abusing their ability to shut down a server to lock it. Because they are doing just that when you shut it down like that, preventing people to play on it. On purpose. You cannot just shut down a server to their benefit and their benefit alone. I could have said to 'raid their camp' or 'protect against hackers' or 'because no admins were on' and yielded the same results.

Server is still down BTW.

@Crusader - If you are not going to read other peoples points, why read yours? That's not fair in the least bit.

Edited by U.B.C.S. Ravin

I'm not trying to argue here, and I just want this to end. Seeing as nobody read my point about make a fucking suggestion, as in suggest MORE Admins on the Server so they don't have to worry about Hackers hardcore.

All you people say that they are giving themselves a benefit when everyone is getting it. But, whilst I agree it's bad to shut it down, for an excessive period of time, atleast they shut it down for a better reason than most would. This is why they need more Admins, to keep the server running ATLEAST 16+ Hours a day, not 6 Hours a day, this would give some of you that 'Persistent world' feeling, while the server could be down for a short amount of time, like 3-4 hours, when everyone is sleeping.

If they get more Admins, then they should probably create a schedule for when the server opens up, and which admin is on at which time, and when it closes, or such.

I'm not trying to argue here, and I just want this to end. Seeing as nobody read my point about make a fucking suggestion, as in suggest MORE Admins on the Server so they don't have to worry about Hackers hardcore.

Page 6

See, this is a good compromise. Which is in my first post "I would not have a problem at all with this server if it was up 24/7." Sadly, they didn't do this before and took it down before to avoid 'hackers' or 'admins weren't online.'

Page 5 has some good discussion about increasing the admins or why they shouldn't be taking their server down for so long because members aren't online. The reason I myself would like to see it blacklisted as giving them a warning doesn't fix anything... They still have loot they have abused their privilages to protect that they have to USE on any server they like including their own. Do you think anyone who isn't on the GMS clan on that server has what they have or even close? No... On the U.B.C.S. servers we are lucky to have one car without another clan swiping it. x3. But our server is up 24/7 and that is the game we play... The risk we take.

US 1038 doesn't have that risk. The have that risk when they select to have that risk and have people there to defend their camp.

To randomly chip in. Those of you who are waiting for an admin or dev to step in and say if they can or cannot do this, or if they warned them or blacklisted them, they are very likely not going to say it here.

When dealing with an issue on a server, say if someone reported US128, it doesn't matter what is said in that thread. If DayZ staff feel a problem with the rules or incident, they are likely to contact the admins in question and talk to them personally because it deals with their server and isn't exactly public information on what they tell to other server admins or who they warn. Privacy and all and I support that. Just don't expect DayZ staff to come in here and give a statement on how they wagged or did not wag their finger at the server. x3. What punishment is or is not dished out is wishful thinking by all individuals.

In short, I expect to see this thread locked whatever happens in the end. With Warnings/Blacklist/FingerWagging/nothing happening after it happens. We will likely find out about it through a GMS thread or someone posting victory/defeat somewhere else.

Edited by U.B.C.S. Ravin

Started to read and agree with OP soo much QQ about how you justify your right to take the server down...

... There is certainly enough members to take protect the place 24/7. The reason the server is shut down is due to hackers and to prevent serious lag....

This is crap... US128, US167, US302 All U.B.C.S. servers are up 24/7 and they have been hit buy hackers and yes we have lost our gear and vehicles... However we just locked the airfield down and went hunting for Heli sites and got most of our gear back within a couple of days.

All this time open to the public.. Hackers hit one server and move on.. thats all they do.. what makes you think your server is special and they will want to nuke it 24/7. They fact you have made such a song and dance about it will make you a primary target.

Dealing with hackers is the job of the DEV team. If you have ppl 24/7 on your server get some to fraps 24/7. I frap every single time I play. If nothing happens I stop delete the no action content and carry on frapping, thus recycling the space on my HDD..Showing a frap of a hacker entering server and then funny goings on happening is enough to assist the devs. They blacklist thier GUID then hacker has to buy new copy of the game.

YOUR job as an admin is to provide a constant world for players to interact with.. A server not being online is as bad as a passworded server ... ppl cant play on it.. The UBCS servers restart every 6 hours, this is MORE than enough to allow the server to re allocate memory and eliminate LAG.

Maybe this is why US128, 167 and 302 are always in the the top rated servers out of the thousand + that are out there.

US128

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/23.29.120.66:2302/

US167

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/23.29.120.66:2350/

US302

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/23.29.120.66:2400/

The point. Stop taking your server down and explaining your way around the TOS. A down server is as good as a PW'd server. Start acting like proper community admins. I applaud what your doing regarding the trading centre however your conduct with regards to the admin abuse (and yes taking a server down to protect your gear is abuse) needs to be dealt with swiftly. I urge the the DayZ Staff to open up dialog in private with said server hosts and eliminate this issue or post that this is either acceptable or not in the TOS thread. no names need be mentioned.

As was said before, hosting a server is a privilege, maybe the dev team would need to relax the rules if servers where hard to come by, but this is not the case, they said it themselve, they can only process 20% of the demands.

By "lending" a server (your server) to the DayZ project you agree to help "soaking up" the demand for player slots. If you aren't running a 24/7 server you are wasting the time of the devs and are just dead weight on the hive.

- You may only kick for disruptive behavior (such as continued VOIP over side channel). But you may not kick due to race or language or because the person does something you do not like.

I actually take this as the same thing as shutting down the server to stop people from doing things the admins may not like. Ex. Hacking, raiding camps, stealing vehicles, camping major towns/good old fashioned banditry.

As was said before, hosting a server is a privilege, maybe the dev team would need to relax the rules if servers where hard to come by, but this is not the case, they said it themselve, they can only process 20% of the demands.

By "lending" a server (your server) to the DayZ project you agree to help "soaking up" the demand for player slots. If you aren't running a 24/7 server you are wasting the time of the devs and are just dead weight on the hive.

Its not a privilege to host a server. The server admins are doing Rocket and his staff a favor and Rocket just shites all over them. Punishing admins and server hosters for trying to police their respective servers is ridiculous.

Rocket put together a mod for an already existing game. He needs information from testing to work out bugs and glitches in said MOD. The only way he gets that information is if people host servers for him to collect the data from. Regardless of how many servers there are he NEEDS that data. People volunteer to host servers for him and he should be thanking them.

Instead what we get is Rocket and his "vision" putting a stranglehold on server hosts and allowing massive amounts of douchebaggery from the childish playerbase. A player can come on your server and tell you to "F off", ghost into your base steal all your crap, and send everyone else to the land of thunderdome. If you kick him he can come here to the forums and cry then your server gets blacklisted.

• Like 2

Its not a privilege to host a server. The server admins are doing Rocket and his staff a favor and Rocket just shites all over them. Punishing admins and server hosters for trying to police their respective servers is ridiculous.

Rocket put together a mod for an already existing game. He needs information from testing to work out bugs and glitches in said MOD. The only way he gets that information is if people host servers for him to collect the data from. Regardless of how many servers there are he NEEDS that data. People volunteer to host servers for him and he should be thanking them.

Instead what we get is Rocket and his "vision" putting a stranglehold on server hosts and allowing massive amounts of douchebaggery from the childish playerbase. A player can come on your server and tell you to "F off", ghost into your base steal all your crap, and send everyone else to the land of thunderdome. If you kick him he can come here to the forums and cry then your server gets blacklisted.

It IS a privilege, supply and demands, there are more people willing to host than the dev team can process. If people willing to host where rare the roles would be reversed. Rocket could just aswel stick to a single DayZ server and he probably did at the start, but with the crazy popularity of the mod, it made sense to leverage the community memebers that are willing to give him a hand.

If you get hackers, Record it and send it to the dev team.

Also, read my sig.

It is of my personal opinion that the treatment of server operators is pretty questionable. I know a semi-large community that wanted to hold a DayZ server but held back because of the high system requirements and the restrictive means to operate a server. I have never seen a game (or a mod) punish server operators for trying to make it a nice place to play. Banning hackers shouldn't require so much evidence to prove that it's a hacker. By the way, I used to be a demi-mod for a Minecraft server and sometimes we don't even need evidence if we know for a fact who did it. It's just a formality thing to prove that we don't abuse power for no reason. Hell, almost all servers in gaming today don't even do that. Because I believe that the game developers shouldn't control what goes on in servers.

I'm not saying I don't support the whole blacklisting process. It lets players know what servers are suitable and ones that have a bad rep (Abusive admins) and I think that players playing on a blacklisted server shouldn't have their progress saved on other servers. Just in case it's a hacking server or a private one. Just that one server. I do however, want the servers to be much less restrictive. I mean it when I say I have never seen a Dev Team take so much control of the servers. The community should be the ones shaping the server community. Hell, they could probably use this forum to tell newcomers what servers to avoid. By the way, I think locked servers should be allowed for large groups who want a server to themselves. Just have it be so the locked servers have their own save data and that public servers have their own. Everyone wins.

Just my two cents.

• Like 2

I'm going to jump in here, as a short while player on US 1038, and not a Clan Member of GMS.

Look, I know shutting down the server is a problem for you kiddies, but they do it for good reasoning, not to protect their camp. Dear god, when I login, and see the server up, they love being raided, because it gives them an activity to do.

But, they do keep it off for a long time, which is bad. But, Instead of blacklisting them, why don't you give them a god damn suggestion instead? Like... Get a few more Admins to take care of the server when the other Admin is off.

Blacklisting a perfectly good server, because they don't play the game, the way -YOU- want them to play the game, is fucked up. So many people love this server, and blacklisting is crushing peoples fun in the game, to team-up, and survive in the Zombie Apocalypse.

So just suggest a few more Admins to the server, to keep it up more often.... Bam, fixed.

By the way. I like this guy's post. We haven't been on the server in a few days. More admins in control should be a thing I'll suggest to Vaq when he ever comes on.

By the way. I like this guy's post. We haven't been on the server in a few days. More admins in control should be a thing I'll suggest to Vaq when he ever comes on.

or.. keep the server up 24/7 and play the game like everyone else does.

Freeside Trading Co. keeps there server up 24/7. Why can't GMS? Can I link them to your thread and say, "Hey, bring your server down when you are not trading." Do you not see why this is a problem?

GMS server is still down. Looking at their restarts also, they are sporadic and random, having no actual normal restart time with the server being taken down for days.

There is also a second server named the same thing from them, that was a new recent server that is down and even up less than the other server... That is also down for days on end.

What is this...

Wow. So I actually read every single post in this entire thread. So, now that I have, I will post my two cents, simply because I can.

Ravin, we get it, you work hard to hold up four servers. Good for you. You are not even in the least little bit impressive. Not saying that I am, just stating that you are not.

Having said that, you are correct, in a way. Allow me to set up a scenario. There is no law in my home state that says I cannot walk down the street telling every single person I see to "F off." To that end, I've done it at least once.

Now, that means that because there is no "You cannot do that," law out there, I can't be thrown in jail, I can't be fined, hell I can't even be scolded by a law enforcement representative. That leads me to be able to say, without any shadow of a doubt, Ravin, that you need to shut up. No rudeness in it, just simply, shut the hell up. You have absolutely ZERO authority on these forums, and probably little elsewhere. Your and anyone elses interpretation of the rules is simply that, an interpretation.

Until a dev or whatever entity handles these sorts of situations actually says "You cannot shut down your server to prevent damage to the players and their enjoyment of the game via hacking," you should just stop typing.

Oh and before one your little cronies in this forum says, "But Nitewing, look at the jpeg," I saw it. I am still unimpressed. The question asked was completely unrelated to the topic. You said protecting their gear and did not mention their claimed reasoning for doing that.

Now that all that is out of the way. Ravin, I have absolutely nothing against you and really do thank you for your tireless effort to run those three servers. It really is a thankless and burdening job and I hope that, in the near future, it becomes easier to do with a portion of it being automated, freeing up your time to actually enjoy the servers you make the time to maintain.

As for the server in question. Stop it. Just plain stop it. You are correct and I defend that in the TOS it does NOT say that you cannot do what you are doing. However, there is a morality issue here. After I walked down the street telling everyone to "F off," and the liquid courage ran out, I'm sure I felt horrible. It's just not something an upstanding citizen should do.

We get it, you have a safe haven and your little buddies skip and jump all merry through the zombie corpses. It's an adorable sentiment and a nicey nice concept, but it's morally wrong. Why should you get to skip through the dasies while my clan trudges through the bile and various bodily fluids left behind after a raid?

So, you're both wrong. Hows that? Ravin and your groupies for stating something you have no place to state and the server for making the morally wrong decision. Hopefully, what it boils down to is either an edit to the rules to blanket statement this behavior, or at least post here, given the severity of the situation.

Oh, and flame all you want, I probably wont be reading this thread any longer. Have fun kids.

These guys should be blacklisted until they start fallowing the rules simple as that. Or the devs need to send out warnings to there host. Until they start fallowing the way every other dayz server does it.

• Like 1