HollowDizzi

Opinions on Zombie Hearing and Aggro in 1.7.2.4

Hey there.

I just wanted to hear about the opinions you people have on 2 things in the new update of 1.7.2.4

1. Is it just me or do zombies seem to have a bigger aggro area? I've noticed I'm attracting a shitload more of the guys than usual and for a lot longer away too. Even sometimes when I'm crouched and stationary they get all frisky. How about you?

2. Your opinion on Zombies hearing noise? I ran into the damn church today with like 10 Zeds, shot them and ended up shooting around 40. Was in Elektro. It does makes it way harder and adds a big amount of realism which isn't a bad thing, but fuck me sideways, you attract a lot of Zeds. Not too sure if I'm keen on it or not, but it's alright.

How about you guys? Thats if if you can even play on 1.7.2.4 without all the bullshit that goes on.

Crouched while stationary won't stop them from seeing you.

Zombies are fine. Its nice to see them change once in a while even if it's just to make the game little more interesting.

• Like 3

yeah they really do see futher and hear better, which is odd cause you'd think the walking "DEAD" wouldn't see and hear better then the living. Also the whole RUNNING is tottaly bs.. A zombie wouldn't run it would stumble/walk/crawl not run.. I know zombies are not real but you would think that anything HURT at least wouldn't become faster and stroger because it's Hurt! It's nature at that point if you shoot me in the leg i'm going to have to hop my ass off not turn into a olympic runner going for the gold after haven a 5 hour engery shot... I mean come on! The whole aspect is completely off. So when you talk about sight and hearing please include about the FAST RUN they do.. If you really want to know I think citys should be god awfully full of zombies like thousands of them so damn many your freaked the hell out... and also another thing is they need to put more cars in the game... More buildings need to be able to go into and more types of zombies i'm tired of shooting the same 2 fucking zombies over and over again... I know i know I'm being a wine ass.. But it's only because I love this game and the people who play it and I just want to see it get better! So Keep up the good work guys and I hope to see all that is in store in the future for dayz and yes your right if it starts to cost to lay Dayz it will Fail massively. maybe then WarZ might come into my sights.

I know. But shoulda seen the distance I had on the fellow. It just seems really ... random, as to when they agro? Yeah fair enough, I think they're alright too. It does make it ahrder of people who complain it's too hard.

Edited by HollowDizzi

It happened to me to today, me and my friend reached solchiny and we started looting the outskirts for petty supplies because a lot of pvp was happening down in elecktro and cherno (go figure) and we aggro a couple of zombies and run into a warehouse. I fire two rounds of my AKM and kill the two and I just see tons more running in, as soon as I kill the first group of five, they just double up. Me and my bud had to drop looting the place and rushed the hell up into the mountainside.

I don't mind zombies hearing being fixed, just would like to have gunfire being muffled in buildings again. It does go against realism but it would a fair balance to the game.

the zombies are fine as is, and i think they're the best they've ever been. if i aggro a zombie, then i can always understand why i did.

Yes i do think they really need to tone down the zombies hearing range. The textbook definition of a zombie is a dead corpse reanimated. Dead corpse rot no? So i highly doubt a rotting ear should be able to hear me from so far away, completely devoids from the realism.

Edit: Also eyes rot on a dead corpse so that's something to think about.....

Also Gurren Lagann is da best

Edited by StormSurge

Visibility ? I think it's alright as it is, they can see me from a couple hundred meters in broad daylight on a field or in the city, seems plausible enough, they see pretty bad at dawn/night, plausible enough too.

Hearing ? This might just be me but I think that most of the infected are deaf, a few hours ago I fired my m1911 in Cherno, I attracted only 2 zombies out of a total of ~20 around me. How can a zombie, probably just 70 meters our or so not hear me firing a .45 ? Same with my M249, I can pretty much run around Cherno firing that beast without pulling too much aggro.

Ya, they got a biggger aggro area and they can hear better.

I think increasing these 2 things makes the game way more challenging :)

• Like 1

Personally, I find no problem with these, it makes the game more interesting definatley.

However, for when you start out and have nothing, it can be quite difficult to stop Zeds, especially if you shoot 1 and then you get the whole army of them. But I guess you just gotta play different.

My main issue is that Zeds are random. Sometimes you can run past and they don't care, or sometimes they'll just stop aggro, then sometimes they'll spot you from ages away and will never stop the aggro. I'd be nice if this wasn't so random.

The sight and hearing range does seem to have increase but it really only means you have to be a lot more cautious.

Stay of the noisy tarmac road and run in the grass, stay crouched, angle yourself out of their sight line.

Remember these are INFECTED not the undead, and anyway why sound zombies be slow shambling deaf and blind lumps? They are not natural so why would they have natural physical abilities?

• Like 1

I agree. I was snipering Zeds from far away and there was no end to it. More and more kept on comming and this was by a small house in the middle of nowhere.

If this is something new they added it totally sucks unless Zeds drops from the sky.

Noticed a big difference. The biggest problem I have with it is this... no really good melee weapons to counter the noise.

Hardly any silenced guns at all. Aggro range is over the top. I shot 2 zombies at around 100m and 5 came outta no where to beat on me. I see people training

20 zombies all the time anymore. Over the top I say. Hard to just go out anymore without having to be bloodbagged and I usually have to log till a friend can do that.

So play 20 minutes to an hour log off for 5 hours till I can be helped.

Some may like this but, I have had problems with bugged zombies raging on me from 100m out before the patch even when I was proning in slow movement. No I just get seen

from everywhere and heard from everywhere... and shaking zombies is 100 times harder for me.

I like the tweak but, its not helping because, right now there is just to much other things that make it harder to do anything with those and these mutant seeing and hearing

zombies or ragers or wtf ever you call them.

The kicker is if you get into a hiding spot and can hole up for a bit. You can easily take out others like me who train 20 zombies around town trying to find food and there isnt a thing I can do

about it. =/ Because, shaking zombies just seems a ton harder for me then others I guess. You can usually see me running from anywhere with no zombies around that area with 20 on me while I go up and down hills and they are stil on me.. lol.

Secutor, bet your ammo supplies dropped like a bitch eh? Already annoying enough to get ammo for rare guns, then you just have to waste it on Zeds .

To Rhumar: Yeah, it's hard to counter. You can get silenced Guns, but I've came across 1 ever. And then whose to say the ammo for that is anywhere around?

Melee weapons would help a great deal, if it wasn't so damn risky to kill Zeds with them. Going toe to toe with a laggy spastic zed is frustrating as.

Edited by HollowDizzi

Looks ok to me, Im happy they can hear again. In 2.3 I could have just snipe them one by one with AKM without any aggro. But I did see in both 2.3. and 2.4 several zombies running from the opposite side of the town attacking me while those that were closer didn't aggro.

Nothing seems to really have changed.

Looted NW airfield pretty easily.

Elektro in a single run with just 1 zombie aggroing me on the way out as he spawned right behind me.

Gunshots are loud - but I understand your point. How can a zombie now exactly where it was fired? It's a difficult thing to be able to put into the game. And yes, the running is bs - without a doubt there will be some work on a slow run instead of an undead Usain Bolt running at you. We are moving in the right direction, but much more to go.

Personally, I like the zombie/infected aggro behaviour in 1.7.2.4., though they still give up the chase a bit to easily. Given the limited number of zombies, I don't think the classic Romero 'shambing' zombie, that overwealm by weight of numbers would work to well at present - though in a future version, who knows...

I simply don't like zombies instantly aggroing apon hearing gunfire, they should have to look for you before they start sprinting towards your exact position.

As for their sight i think it would be pretty easy to see somebody that's 50m in front of you, they are "infected" not undead according to Rocket.

It'd be really cool if when you shot, instead of them Coming right on you, they came to the area around you. This would be cool as it doesn't mean the player is attacked and it means they will have to play cautious and move. Which helps with sniper problems.

• Like 2

Lose em in pine trees. Up hills, round corners, through buildings. Just don't shhot them if you know what's good for ya

Lose em in pine trees. Up hills, round corners, through buildings. Just don't shhot them if you know what's good for ya

I do know whats good for me. However, when you're stuck in a building with 20 Zombies blocking the way out, Running around in a forest and not shooting them, doesn't really work.

Think the argument of them being dead is wrong as Rocket has said they are Infected. Like in 28 days later.

Thats good to know, actually. But for the aspect of a gamer trying to Enjoy a game, possibly more Deathly traits should be associated with the "Infected"