Slamz

THE Night is TOO DAMN DARK Thread. Others will be deleted etc.

Signed.

28ee2b84.png

I would like something to be done about it. I can play with it as is, it just looks like shit with the gamma, brightness and HDR maxed out.

I have to say the darkness in this game reminds me a lot of my four weeks in Romania a few years ago (March-April). The nights in the carpathians were absolutely pitch black when there was no moon. Especially during cloudy nights you didn't see anything at all. Not even silhouettes like you do in Arma 2 nights. It was just dark. One time when we were hiking we got a little too carried away so it went dark before we got home and we literally had to grope our way for the last kilometers. No flashlights, just a compass and a dirtpath to the house we were staying at. With a clear sky there is always a little light, that's true but on that day it was just black and it was kinda terrifying when we realised we wouldn't make it before nightfall.

The level of darkness may very well be realistic, but that doesn't change the fact that you simply cannot play during night without some sort of flashlight or NVG. Without those you can either rave around in the darkness untill you run into a zombie you couldnt see, or light up a flare and ask everyone in a 3 mile radius to please end your life immediately.

make it only slightly less dark. There still needs to be value to using a flashlight, NVGs, chemlights and flares. But it should not completely prevent users from playing the game, I try to play at night sometimes for the fear factor and end up always dying. So I usually end up playing on EU servers with horrible ping.

I'd like to be able to see silhouettes and potential landmarks. Also the fact that Zeds come sprinting from across the map whenever I light a flare is kind of ridiculous. Lose/lose situation as it is, anyone with Night vision is a god.

that's my QQ.

It's too dark. It really is. It wouldn't bother too much if we could actually adjust to the darkness a bit. I mean, I want to see a bit of the objects around me, but not too much to reveal the whole surroundings of me. Flashlights and other light resources should pay off good visibility while using them in the dark, but without them it'll just be dangerous as you can't see very far from yourself.

That's my vision.

The night is PERFECT as it is. Yes in the cities in r.l. you have light everywhere . But once you venture out in the forest or countryside darkness IS pitch black. My advice... suck it up princess and grow a set!

the op is right guys

stop telling him to deal with it

simple fact is that it needs fixing

i was on Dallas 1 last night.

it was a clear night could see every star in the sky (there were lot of them) but didn't matter. I couldnt see horizon nor the ground. I was out in the open in a clearing.. Seems a little excessive.

I'm not asking them to make it easy, just a minor tweak. It would be nice to play and not ever have to touch the gamma and brightness sliders but I feel that's what some ppl are doing to compensate.

The night is PERFECT as it is. Yes in the cities in r.l. you have light everywhere . But once you venture out in the forest or countryside darkness IS pitch black. My advice... suck it up princess and grow a set!

Wrong, it feels pitch black at first but you can see after your eyes get used to it. And when moon is out you can even read the newspaper.

I really don't understand why people don't like the dark. I see "it's too dark" repeated over and over. Too dark for what? Is it too dark to run around easily without a light source? Of course! That is the intent.

What is so hard about finding chemlights or using one of your 10 starter flares to navigate?

It is weird, there aren't lights around, so it shouldn't be dark. Night time is really bright on big open fields like the ones in the game. Only dense woods are very dark.

If you stay 10 minutes in the dark, without any lights around, you'll be able to see almost as clear as the day.

the op is right guys

No. He isn't.

simple fact is that it needs fixing

The fix is already available: flares, chemlights, flashlights and night-vision goggles. But, if by "fix" you mean make it so that you can play at night just like you do during the day -- without any lightsource -- that is just silly.

im just not seeing the reason to stare at a screen that is so black that my monitor may as well be turned off. Even if that seems real to you its just not fun to do. Then your prolly gonna say well this is suppose to be a realism mod but clearly it has many things that are not real at all and are made to cater to being a video game. Because first an foremost its a video game an meant to be fun.

List of things in game that are not even close to real, some made unrealistic for the purpose of being a video game.

- zombies are unreal.

- being able to run non stop across the map with a back pack full of stuff.

- being able to pick up an shoot any gun with extreme accuarcy most people have no clue how to shoot any weapon at all.

- anyone is able to some how reapair any borken down vehicle, most people in real life cant even change their own oil let alone reapir a helicopter just plain unreal.

- Which now brings us to the idea that people can carry around large tool boxes big enough to repair these broken down vehicles and then also carry around the large parts to repair the vehicles.

- how about the fact that i need to make a fire yet the huge forest of wood is extremly useless to me. i think i could gather up a few sticks and use my flare to make a fire.

- The idea of a global chat box is just plain unreal we would really have no way to communicate like that.

-Random spawns of items, that just magicaly respawn on their own.

-spwning zombies out of thin air

- the fact that i need to eat food so often or im going to die

- blood count is at 12000, what kind of count is that? didnt know i had 12000 blood in my body in real life.

- a temp gauge that reads from 100 and yet can drop really low ive see like 30 what is that even measuring?

- my temp drops even though im running around, if i get rained on for even a few mins then my temp drops very fast

I could come up with so many more things that are just unrealistic in this game , so lets stop using the excuse thats its realism and it needs to be that dark. The fact is most of the things i listed are the way they are because it is a video game and needs to be that way. I mean who would want to play the game if your chracter could only travel a few miles before needing to stop and set up camp and rest for a day. Just like most people dont want to play a game that has a pitch black screen, in fact so dark it may as well be played with your eyes closed.

im just not seeing the reason to stare at a screen that is so black that my monitor may as well be turned off.

Um....press F' date=' tap your left mouse button, flare released. Problem fixed?

I could come up with so many more things that are just unrealistic in this game , so lets stop using the excuse thats its realism and it needs to be that dark.

Okay then. As a game mechanic night should be harder. You shouldn't be able to run around at night without a light source. If you can, it's essentially no different than daytime. Does that satisfy you as a viable reason?

im just not seeing the reason to stare at a screen that is so black that my monitor may as well be turned off.

Um....press F' date=' tap your left mouse button, flare released. Problem fixed?

[/quote']

nope problem not fixed. i want to be able to at least see my chracter in 3rd with out having to light up 1 mile worth of area and giving away my position to every bandit that wants to muder me.

I dont think anyone is asking for it to be so bright to see miles down the road. What i think most are asking for is maybe some what visable 5 feet in front of you and it slowly trails off the farther away from you. Say around 20 feet its so dark that i can barley see anything but i can still make out at least out lines and shadows of things. Then maybe around 30 feet it trails off into pitch black.

Ive been in some pretty dark and desolate areas before and never have i not been able to make out my own hands. even in the pitch black areas ive been in you can even make up people who are pretty close and what direction they are moving now granted you may not be able to tell who excatly they are you can still clearly make out whats going on.

Flare use should be used to light up areas that i would like to see before heading into the area. What flares should not be used for are to light up any and every area i need to see because my screen is so dark i cant even see my own weapon on my chracter.

I really don't understand why people don't like the dark. I see "it's too dark" repeated over and over. Too dark for what? Is it too dark to run around easily without a light source? Of course! That is the intent.

What is so hard about finding chemlights or using one of your 10 starter flares to navigate?

+1, I rly dont understand ppl shouting "its too dark, oh noess, I cant see eaven my handss... noo, it must be brigher!"

Sir. you have 10 flares in you'r inventory, and if you cant find more flares/chemlights with 10 flares, you are doing somthing wrong.

"Noo, I can be seen 10 miles away if I use them... nooo"

*Facepalm*

+to ppl who's saying that NVG's give huge advantage to ppl who's using flares/chemlights. OFCOURSE they do, Sniper rifle gives you huge advantage in long distance against guys with pistol, that is the point of geting better gear!

I could come up with so many more things that are just unrealistic in this game , so lets stop using the excuse thats its realism and it needs to be that dark.

Okay then. As a game mechanic night should be harder. You shouldn't be able to run around at night without a light source. If you can, it's essentially no different than daytime. Does that satisfy you as a viable reason?

If thats what you want it to be is harder sure you can have any opinion you want of the topic. Ill agree to that if youll agree to being able to not shoot most weapons very well because no normal person can pick up any weapon and be dead on sniper with them. lets not forget that running from city to city is out of the question here to no normal person can just run all day and night hauling tons of crap with them. so more likely you should only be able to trek at very most maybe 10 miles living on the food an water you have at hand. glad we are making the game hard and unplayable. that all sounds fun.

also no one is asking for the game to be made so easy you need no light source at night. what most people seem to be saying is just a little bit of light so i can at least distinguish a very small area around me and maybe the silhouettes of people in a very close area to my chracter so no more then 50 feet. Maybe this could be less inside of the forest.

im just not seeing the reason to stare at a screen that is so black that my monitor may as well be turned off. Even if that seems real to you its just not fun to do. Then your prolly gonna say well this is suppose to be a realism mod but clearly it has many things that are not real at all and are made to cater to being a video game. Because first an foremost its a video game an meant to be fun.

List of things in game that are not even close to real' date=' some made unrealistic for the purpose of being a video game.

- zombies are unreal.

- being able to run non stop across the map with a back pack full of stuff.

- being able to pick up an shoot any gun with extreme accuarcy most people have no clue how to shoot any weapon at all.

- anyone is able to some how reapair any borken down vehicle, most people in real life cant even change their own oil let alone reapir a helicopter just plain unreal.

- Which now brings us to the idea that people can carry around large tool boxes big enough to repair these broken down vehicles and then also carry around the large parts to repair the vehicles.

- how about the fact that i need to make a fire yet the huge forest of wood is extremly useless to me. i think i could gather up a few sticks and use my flare to make a fire.

- The idea of a global chat box is just plain unreal we would really have no way to communicate like that.

-Random spawns of items, that just magicaly respawn on their own.

-spwning zombies out of thin air

- the fact that i need to eat food so often or im going to die

- blood count is at 12000, what kind of count is that? didnt know i had 12000 blood in my body in real life.

- a temp gauge that reads from 100 and yet can drop really low ive see like 30 what is that even measuring?

- my temp drops even though im running around, if i get rained on for even a few mins then my temp drops very fast

I could come up with so many more things that are just unrealistic in this game , so lets stop using the excuse thats its realism and it needs to be that dark. The fact is most of the things i listed are the way they are because it is a video game and needs to be that way. I mean who would want to play the game if your chracter could only travel a few miles before needing to stop and set up camp and rest for a day. Just like most people dont want to play a game that has a pitch black screen, in fact so dark it may as well be played with your eyes closed.

[/quote']

ya i dont' understand how people who support the unrealistically dark nights are agreeing to bend on their "realism values" on all of those features, yet when it comes to a game breaking feature like night time its all

"it must be real learn to play noobs, dont' make game unrealistic"

lets let a player have unlimited sprint while carrying 300+pounds of gear, but dig our heels in on playable night time. thats logic for ya right there

i've got a better idea, since right the majority of players don't like the night time and are turning their gamma up so they can still play. why don't we just make night brighter, and tell the few that like it pitch black to turn their gamma and brightness all the way down.

same thing, just different side of the coin

I believe the point to so many artificial light sources is due to the fact that it is extreamly dark for periods in the game and that is a way to force you to use your light items or either wait it out, this is not uncommon in game for certain times when the player is forced to use an in game mechanic.

I don't think it's cruel or unfair it's just the developer wanting the player to experience periods where forced actions must be made to progress as we could say.

I am a night time owl on most of the servers and have cycled through the 12hr night time multiple times and just as it is during the day you will experience cloud cover and rain and also clear moon lit skys and those periods of time the night is bearable and easily playable.

So just because you may log in during a cloud covered night doesn't mean it is always so, your options are to use the items we've all been given or wait it out until it becomes clear. The dev didn't make it impossible by no means, most players just don't have the patience to wait it out or are too scared to use their flares/chemlights out of fear of being seen which in turn only makes the game mechanic work that much more because you are surviving in a survival simulator.. just my opinions though :)

i've got a better idea' date=' since right the majority of players don't like the night time and are turning their gamma up so they can still play. why don't we just make night brighter, and tell the few that like it pitch black to turn their gamma and brightness all the way down.

[/quote']

I'd like to know where you came up with the "numbers" that majority does not like night and only few ppl likes it. And I think rocket made this mod, not to the big majority of the ppl ( there are plenty games for that allrdy). I rly dont understand why is it that hard to use flares and chemlights.

Playing in pitch black dark current choices:

A)

Using no light source = Get stuck and walk into walls and likely die by Zeds.

B)

Light a flare or chemlight, EVEN in doors = every Zed in a mile radius sprints at you like bats out of hell and you die. (It seems more so than if you shoot a gun in town during day)

* Alerts players of your location which is fine, this function is good. <-------------

C)

Find NVGs = have fun trying and dying

D)

Stand still for 8-12 hours and do nothing = boring as hell

E)

Join a server across the world and have terrible ping and lag = Death in many ways.

F)

Don't play at night

These are all super cool and awesome options and yet the only one that would be remotely fun would be finding night vision goggles in which the odds are clearly not in your favor to do so.

All of these option do not really seem fun to me.

i've got a better idea' date=' since right the majority of players don't like the night time and are turning their gamma up so they can still play. why don't we just make night brighter, and tell the few that like it pitch black to turn their gamma and brightness all the way down.

[/quote']

I'd like to know where you came up with the "numbers" that majority does not like night and only few ppl likes it. And I think rocket made this mod, not to the big majority of the ppl ( there are plenty games for that allrdy). I rly dont understand why is it that hard to use flares and chemlights.

Well he (rocket) clearly made the game for people to play other wise he would only have 1 small server that is locked. Also flares and chem lights are easy to use. But its annoying that i have to become this large glowing becoan to even see a few feet in front of me. Im not asking to see miles down the road im just asking to be able to see around me and a few feet around me. not more then 5-10 feet, an im not even talking full on being able to see im just saying a little bit of light so i can make some stuff out around me. Not sure why thats so hard to accept.