Teldrius

Worst Game Experience ever

I'm guessing everyone saying "lol go back to COD" was lucky enough to either a) start playing when you spawned with a pistol or B) have friends to help you. Either way you're not helping anyone with that attitude. OP made some very valid points, the mod is BRUTALLY difficult for new players. These are DESIGN decisions which cannot be dismissed with "it's only an alpha". This, combined with the fact that you have Youtube celebrities like the Yogscast making videos which essentially make DayZ out to be a large-scale Left4Dead is going to result in some very pissed off "customers" who buy Arma2 specifically for this mod.

• Like 1

It's not the mod's fault you can't be bothered to learn how to play it properly.

I'm guessing everyone saying "lol go back to COD" was lucky enough to either a) start playing when you spawned with a pistol or B) have friends to help you. Either way you're not helping anyone with that attitude. OP made some very valid points, the mod is BRUTALLY difficult for new players. These are DESIGN decisions which cannot be dismissed with "it's only an alpha". This, combined with the fact that you have Youtube celebrities like the Yogscast making videos which essentially make DayZ out to be a large-scale Left4Dead is going to result in some very pissed off "customers" who buy Arma2 specifically for this mod.

You do realise how often everyone dies right? In fact the best players in this game tend to die more because they're the ones who go looking for a fight.

I began playing since they took out the starter Makarov, I don't have any friends in the game, and yet i've had no trouble succeeding, the same goes for thousands of others. Don't blame the game for your own lazy attitude. The problem with today's generation of gamers is that they're too used to having everything done for them.

You're a classic example of the influx of moaning, incompetent teenagers the mod saw after that Yogscast video was made.

Edited by z-layrex

OP died from bloodloss from the first Z that hit him?

next time, run into a building and use a bandage maybe?

Heres the extent of my wonderfully entertaining times with this awesome mod:

After of course waiting the excrutiatingly long loading times.....

Game 1: wandered around for awhile, found some sort of fort, hit once by a zombie, broken bone, spent 2 hours crawling around searching for anything to heal it. Broken bone never wore off.

gave up playing after wasting all that time.

Game 2: figuring I'd give the game another chance, tried to play with a friend. As there was no buddy system, it made finding the same game very hard, and as there's no map or anything, we could never locate each other while trying. After looking up a map online I tried to get to said friend, when a zombie spawned right behind me. Said zombie chased me two towns, and across the river to an island. After he hit me once my character began to bleed, till I eventually died.

After waiting the 20 minutes or so it takes to respawn....

Game 3: we found another server, spawned a town away, I tried to run to said friend, zombie literally spawned right in front of my face, proceeded to chase me forever. Again, with no weapon, I began to bleed out after taking one hit. Since I couldn't stop to bandage myself I died slowly.

Long story short, this game is shit, and is definately the worst gameplay experience I have ever had.

Suggestions for improvement? perhaps not have olympic swimming dead bodies, or maybe have them stop chasing you after running for 20 minutes, perhaps have them get distracted by the cows or goats you uselessly ran to. Maybe at the very least give your character a basic punch attack to fend off that first zombie. Make it so the broken bone status wears off instead of wasting 2 hours of your life.

I bought Arma2 specifically for this mod, and I am so bloody disappointed, I was mislead into thinking this game was refined enough to be worth spending money on.

Welcome to DayZ. Fact 1: It is ALPHA. It is supposed to have bugs that give you broken legs status easily, it happened to me too and didn't whined. Crawled to cherno and found a UAZ guy halfway wich gave me a ride to cherno + teaming up. I find friendlies very often by SideChat or DirectChat.

Fact 2: It is an apocalypse. It is hard to survive. This isn't Minecraft where in first day you got Stone Tools and a shelter so fast, find a cave with diamond in it and get pro. You just have to find those beans, meds and you are good to go. Sneak over zombies, you ran onto them, they didn't spawned in front of you.

Alot of players buy Arma 2 Combined operations just for this mod,so did I, all the videos on youtube make it look like a good game with lots of fun, most of the videos are from march, I liked this game because of the Side chat and all the shootouts and scavenging..

this game is a fucking joke, zombies are shit, or that they can hear\see you from miles away even if you're crouch running or that they just try to block your enterance into a city\house\w.e, when I bought this game I thought it would be just like in those videos, lots of friendlies, sidechat, so you wont just go for hours and hours going from place to place trying to find guns, I mean wtf is that shit for, you find the best gun, then what?Its more fun to have gunfights\just hang with friends and raid hot spots(with other players) because this survival is complete bullshit, it doesn't the "feel" of real surviving.. and don't tell me its a free mod, I'm saying this just because I saw it in some other thread "Arma 2 sales has rised of about 300% because of DayZ"

so stop with this fucking bullshit of saying this mod is free, most players who bought this game, bought it just to play DayZ, and again as I said in another thread, saying "ITS IN THE ALPHA" isn't an exuse for every fucking problem in this mod, I do like this mod even with all its problems.. but now I see that there is going to be this new game called War-Z, All the stuff of DayZ just probally better, And I know most of you will say" THEN GO PLAY IT",I probally will but untill its out I'm stuck with the clusterfuck of buggs in this game War-Z seems like DayZ just fixed and better, it has better engine,bigger map,other guns(I hope) BETTER ZOMBIE AI!!<--- MOST IMPORTANT.

now go ahead and say your "cool story bruh" and "ITS AN ALPHA" or "Go play another game"

Just by repeating the fact that you bought Arma to play Day Z doesn't change the fact that it is a free mod.

That's funny you'd say War Z sounds like Day Z but fixed and better. PC Gamer described it as an easier version for less hardcore players lol But supposedly it does give all of what these rage whiners have been asking for. WoW Z lol

Don't understand the hostility we should be encouraging new players not flaming them for struggling to play a game that, let admit, is very difficult.

I help noobs every day on these forums. I've helped countless people get their games up and running, I've become a Med so that I can go and help people out that don't play as part of a team. I've probably replied to 10 peeps today with help or pointers because their new.

Telling this prick how it is is not flaming or bullying. It's pointing out the facts of the game. He seems completely ignorant and unwilling to listen to anybody else's point of view.

• Like 2

Kotaku mislead me, those dicks.

I'll try your method of losing zombies if I ever get the patience to wait through those load times again :S at the very least it could give me a bar to let me know it didnt freeze on me.

for now I'll just wait it out, hope that the makers decide to change their outlook a little and stop crippling their game with the "forever a cripple" status, or the "you can't have any friends!" ideal.

You can't use "Alpha" as an excuse for poor design decisions :S it's not like it's a bug... it's working as intended.

Dude this game is not for the mainstream.... we love how it is and no amount of noob pussies is going to change it... if you dont like it now its only going to get HARDER.... so kindly leave and play other games that fit your tastes

I"m not sure what OP expected. Everyone knows this game has a learning curve to it. Just die, learn, and move on.

Like a whole bunch of others, I got the game on the steam sale. I knew it was going to be hard and that I would die a lot, that should not be unexpected or something to bitch and moan about.

My experience:

1st spawn: It's night, can't see shit, wonder why "L" isn't turning on my flashlight and blame the buggy game. Turn gama and all that shit up, see some zed and run away, which catches their attention and they kill me. Decide maybe I should wait till daylight to learn the game.

2nd spawn: right in cherno. Try sneaking around but apparantly crouch running isn't enough. I still attract the zed and get mauled to death.

3rd spawn, BFE, run to town, now I'm extremely cautious about the zed and am learning not to get their attention. Start to get gear that I don't know wtf to do with, except I think the crowbar is awesome. Still not cautious enough about the zed, I'm seriously wounded by the time a bandit puts me down.

4th spawn. Go to town, getting even better at avoiding zed, get an enfield and good supplies. I see a guy climbing down a ladder and shot him. He dies and I'm happy to get my first kill. I go to inspect the body and someone headshots me.

Next half dozen spawns are more of the same. Finding my way through town, getting better and not tipping off the zed, mostly getting killed by other players.

This is all in the first 24 hours of playing. My average lifespan was probably 10-20 minutes. But you know what? That is what I expected. That is what being a newb to a game entails, and how one learns to not be a newb.

I still play solo, but I've been alive for days now and I love the tension the game creates. Laying prone while a zed practically trips over my legs, hearing that ATV approach when I'm in the supermarket and deciding whether i'm in the mood to bounce or pounce, hearing gunshots in the distance and remembering that there are other lost souls out there fighting for their lives.

If the shit was easy, none of that would matter. But it isn't easy, Dayz makes you work for it and you can lose it all in a heartbeat if you let your guard down for just a second.

tl;dr Dayz isn't going to hand things to you on a plate. You have to constantly keep your guard up or you will get caught slippin and that is what makes the game great.

excellent post. pretty much my experience as well, even to the point that i think the crowbar is awesome. It was the tool of choice for my first zombie kill in the game and i still think fondly back to that moment.

In my opinion, the discovering and expanding my knowledge of the map etc was my most fun experience. The first time you play it you get dumped in the middle of nowhere with no clue where to go. Finding out the purpose and finding the loot at the current difficulty is a lot of fun for me. All it requires in patience. This is not CoD where you run in a city noscoping the **** out of everything. Keep your patience and you'll be just fine. Once you've played Dayz enough you'll know exactly how everything is done. Just keep playing, you'll love it eventualy.

Besides, this is still and alpha! In my opinion you have no right to complain. Help Rocket out by placing simple suggestions instead of making pointless threads like these. This is a FREE mod, you don't HAVE to play this. Arma 2 is a great game, even without Dayz altough I have to admit I bought arma 2 for Dayz as well.

This mod is not supposed to be easy, you have to fight for your life and if you decide to be dumb and just run around not giving a **** you won't enjoy your time on Dayz.

Edited by Erik

OP died from bloodloss from the first Z that hit him?

next time, run into a building and use a bandage maybe?

I was in the woods when I got hit, near a deer stand, couldn't find an open building during that life, and was just ruthlessly chased down so I couldn't stop to bandage.

And for the "not the mods fault you don't know how to play" I would figure it'd provide at least some knowledge on how to. In-game help menu or something like that. Though, that can be excused with it's alpha status. However, it should link somewhere to a help page on the forums or something at the very least.

Well you know there is this thing called realism

Oh sorry, is it the realism that lets me see myself and nearby players on the map? Or the realism that brings corpses back from the dead, rawwwwr. I have yet to own a map that does that, my bad.

Maybe it's the realism that lets me know a survivor's name from the distance just by pointing at him.

Obviously some changes are made for the interest of better gameplay.

Edited by Teldrius

Heres the extent of my wonderfully entertaining times with this awesome mod:

After of course waiting the excrutiatingly long loading times.....

Game 1: wandered around for awhile, found some sort of fort, hit once by a zombie, broken bone, spent 2 hours crawling around searching for anything to heal it. Broken bone never wore off.

gave up playing after wasting all that time.

Game 2: figuring I'd give the game another chance, tried to play with a friend. As there was no buddy system, it made finding the same game very hard, and as there's no map or anything, we could never locate each other while trying. After looking up a map online I tried to get to said friend, when a zombie spawned right behind me. Said zombie chased me two towns, and across the river to an island. After he hit me once my character began to bleed, till I eventually died.

After waiting the 20 minutes or so it takes to respawn....

Game 3: we found another server, spawned a town away, I tried to run to said friend, zombie literally spawned right in front of my face, proceeded to chase me forever. Again, with no weapon, I began to bleed out after taking one hit. Since I couldn't stop to bandage myself I died slowly.

Long story short, this game is shit, and is definately the worst gameplay experience I have ever had.

Suggestions for improvement? perhaps not have olympic swimming dead bodies, or maybe have them stop chasing you after running for 20 minutes, perhaps have them get distracted by the cows or goats you uselessly ran to. Maybe at the very least give your character a basic punch attack to fend off that first zombie. Make it so the broken bone status wears off instead of wasting 2 hours of your life.

I bought Arma2 specifically for this mod, and I am so bloody disappointed, I was mislead into thinking this game was refined enough to be worth spending money on.

Well, get back to your Playstation then...

Oh sorry, is it the realism that lets me see myself and nearby players on the map? Or the realism that brings corpses back from the dead, rawwwwr. I have yet to own a map that does that, my bad.

Maybe it's the realism that lets me know a survivor's name from the distance just by pointing at him.

Obviously some changes are made for the interest of better gameplay.

Well, regarding the Nametag, just play on Veteran Server buddy!

okay after re reading teldrius' post, he's just frustrated he got killed by zombies right away and generally had no idea what to do. He'd love the game if someone would help him.

I volunteer Teld! We could have you all the food, meds and a gun ya need in no time.

Edited by WisdomSnork

This is a Survival game, that is not meant to be easy. If fact it is meant to be very hard and painful. Just getting the damn this set up right and waiting through the load times is agony. Like all games this hard, the learning curve is steep, and the punishment for screwing up is harsh. But, the reward for learning and growing with it is greater than all of this. It took me 20 lives of lone wolfing it before I figured out some stuff. Hell, I am still learning every time I log into the game. It is a very hard game, and you need to watch the tutorials on YouTube about survival before you log in again. I think you will love the game once you get decent at it.

One hint it as soon as you spawn in press Z and look around. So your visibility to others is very low. And crouch run and prone whenever you are close to a zombie. Also, the controls are a bit clunky, get used to them first as well. expect to die allot in this game.

Well for game 2 you could of saved your ass by using the bandage that you start with (it stops bleeding). This game is obviously not your cup of tea so why bother posting in the forums? Just load up steam and find yourself a new adventure, and do it quietly we don't really care.

Play on Veteran if you want realism, with map tracking disabled, no crosshairs, and no 3rd person.

Zombie pathing and AI is like an eel, you could be aiming at one directly, then it will slip to the left and right. Just got to avoid them or learn them.

• Like 1

Play on Veteran if you want realism, with map tracking disabled, no crosshairs, and no 3rd person.

Zombie pathing and AI is like an eel, you could be aiming at one directly, then it will slip to the left and right. Just got to avoid them or learn them.

I just think there should be more differences between regular and vet, or even a third difficulty for the noobs, one where broken bone status wears off and zombies give up after awhile, or get distracted by other meat sources like the animals.

I just think there should be more differences between regular and vet, or even a third difficulty for the noobs, one where broken bone status wears off and zombies give up after awhile, or get distracted by other meat sources like the animals.

I respect that request, but it really isn't in the spirit of Rocket's vision for the mod. Not to mention that'd take time and resources away from making the mod better for those masochists like me that want the game to be difficult. Too many games these days basically keep you alive and happy no matter how bad you are. it's refreshing to see a game that makes the player actually work hard to get better and become a self sufficient survivor.

• Like 1

Cool story... made me cry a little. You should have buy 3 counter strikes for that money... 1 for you and 2 for some friends... there you can find easily on the map and is very "realistic".

I guess Arma can be somewhat overwhelming with all the keys you never use on a keyboard when playing other games ^^

However, this mod is the best mod to become a game, since... beat me - Killing Floor! I just believe that the future community of the mod will be smaller than now, because a lot of people will by then have found out the game isn't for them. Right now it's curiosity that drives a million people to play this. It's well deserved for Bohemia, since they made great games since OFP that too few people noticed.

What I really liked about the situation before Dayz was that only people, who are mature and only slightly psycho played the game. They wanted a hardcore military sim, which is nothing many kids are interested in. It was one of the best teamplay experiences I have ever had and I literally spent days in regular Arma II (and its predecessors). What we get now are 10 000's of players from 12-14 years that squeal into their microphone and annoy you on Skype, if you ever made the mistake of adding them.

You are coming back, I am sure about it. You will, because right now you are in shock about being too stupid to play a game. That's what the game industry always wanted to make you believe: you are the hero, you have total control. In Dayz you die, you die again and you learn from it. In the end you still die, but you will know it is your own fault, at least for the most part.

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

I'm sorry to hear you had a rough time dude. If you're interested you can click the link in my sig and message fishmitts, dez, or zolfo for some teamspeak/server info. They are higher ups in the guild. You don't have to join us, but we would be glad to teach you the basics of survival in the mod, so you can have a better time with your friend :)

Trust me, when you learn how to survive this mod becomes amazing. I was lost until I joined up with these guys. If you're having trouble messaging them send me a PM here, and I'll help you out :D

Edited by Wizzturd