Teldrius

Worst Game Experience ever

Kotaku mislead me, those dicks.

I'll try your method of losing zombies if I ever get the patience to wait through those load times again :S at the very least it could give me a bar to let me know it didnt freeze on me.

for now I'll just wait it out, hope that the makers decide to change their outlook a little and stop crippling their game with the "forever a cripple" status, or the "you can't have any friends!" ideal.

You can't use "Alpha" as an excuse for poor design decisions :S it's not like it's a bug... it's working as intended.

"Oh no, I found a server with a long load time and this game is hard. By default, this game is the poster child of failure and will never exceed expectations of any gamer!"

No wonder this mod has over 800k players at the alpha stage in testing.

Edited by HazyMoon

ITT, assholes. My first six hours were also pretty terrible. But the more you learn, the longer you live, and the more fun it becomes. I don't see the point in bashing the OP for having an experience common to new players.

well i would feel sorry for you but you whine way too much. I myself was a bit dissappointed/frustrated lastnight as i specifically bought arma2 just for this mod, HOWEVER, after sulking for 5 mins, i gave the game another go.

My first game consisted of - 2 hours running around in the woods/fields, no weapon, no food, no water. Died from a shot to the face from a player who was being chased by at least 5 Z's..... great start.

second game - lasted all of 5 minutes, ran along the coastline, got attacked by 2 Z's, tried running away, only into another bunch of Z's..... had about 8-9 following me that i hadnt learnt how to avoid so i just gave up and let them kill me.

third game - created my character, loaded into the game, spawned on the coast. LITERALLY 2 SECONDS after i finished loading, a player ran across to me, and shot me..... didnt even have chance to open my bag and take my flashlight off my toolbelt, even after saying on direct coms that i had just spawned and had nothing.... he shot me mid speach.....

fourth game - i spawned a bit further down from where i had just been shot, ran straight into the woods, found a shack type thing with a hatchet.... bear in mind this was my first EVER find in DayZ i got kinda excited.... i tried chopping some wood and mid process i got shot in the back by the same guy who killed me last-time.... he obviously saw me spawn again.....

Needless to say i was EXTREMELY frustrated and wanted to break something, that one particular player ruined my gaming time lastnight but that isnt the games fault or the devs.... its that one person being a dick.

This game has ALOT of potential and while alot of it is still hit and miss and ive had bad experiences so far, im not going to let it ruin my chances of missing out on an amazing game. Just have a bit of patience mate, no need to come to the forums and start crying, you'l only brand yourself as a whiner :P

Good to see some new players have patience and willing to get through the big learning curve.

Look up the DayZdb map on google and bookmark it. That has all the loot spawns etc. You can navigate with the map using landmarks and the contour lines. That will ease a lot of your frustration and allow you to get gear at the many places besides the main towns.

Also, don't run like you have been doingl. Move cover to cover and ALWAYS check the open areas and tree lines when you need to run between them. There will be someone ready kill you everywhere and running around in visible areas is an invitation to be shot.

Good luck!

Only reason you PvPers are bitching and throwing out insults is because you don't want to loose your easy kills, noob players.

PvP is not a problem for me but iv have tried to get in to this game and i find it hard atm cos day 0 of the game i get killed buy sum punk prick, thinks its fun to kill and unarmed player

how about you let the new players through don't kill them, get a larger player base, form a clan and have clan wars, stop killing the games potential player base

end of the day it will be you running around board cos you killed off the game, (over time this will happen)

one situation i was in, i may of invaded a another players home/base without knowing, he caught me and killed me on site , how about have chat 1st instead of a kill on site attitude

if i did picked up anything he owns ill gladly give it back, but no i don't even get the chance

and my names got (friendly) in it FFS

Your logic makes no sense. If they wanted to keep him in the game for more easy kills, they sure wouldn't be bashing him so hard and directing him to some other game. It's ok though, only about 5% of people around here actually think before they type.

Edited by Sgt Abraham Ford

I had same time of experiences at start , now is more something like day 1 get everyhing i need to survive and a tent , day 2 setting up the tent , day 3 finding night vision googles ; day 4 repair a car on a night server to be safe.

day 5 : splinter cell like a boss in the woods and my car x)

before you can accomplish this you will die 10 to 20 times. then you will learn what to do and what no to do untill you achieve it the first time.

i failed and got killed while looking my night vision goggles , but i still have my tent , weps and stuff to repair a car so im gonna keep doing it untill it works!!!

always have a backup plan : friends / tents .

Edited by Shuggoth

whats this War-Z everyone is talking about?

Oh yeah, it´s the WoW meets DayZ BS that´s coming out right?

Trust me. It will be nothing like DayZ because DayZ is not a fucked up game that shoves all kind of false "great moments" down your throat via kewl Items, Achievements,"Safezones", Itemspirals or other Bullshit which ruined the Game Industry.

And exactly THAT is what made DayZ the reputation. It is outstanding in it´s Idea´s and Gameplay and i doubt anyone will bring out something even close to it because all they see this days is $$ and frustration does not sell.

Besides: I hate where our Society is going and reflects in Games that are been brought on the market. "I need to get every cool stuff as soon as it is out. And of cause without much effort. I bought the new IPOD today. Hey they are releasing a new one tomorrow I NEED IT!!!!1111"

fuck off ....

If only I could give more than one can of beans to one person...

ITT, assholes. My first six hours were also pretty terrible. But the more you learn, the longer you live, and the more fun it becomes. I don't see the point in bashing the OP for having an experience common to new players.

Nah, he's just being bashed for being a whiner.

And for being too lazy to look for solutions to his problems instead of whining about them, of course.

You know what's funny..

I've been playing for about 10 hours now.. Died around 30 times, sometimes at the beach where I spawned, sometimes when I had the sweetest loot...

My current character has around 200 zombie kills (I know nog much but for me it is) and ofcourse I want more (car, nvgs) but getting here is getting more and more easy every time I play..

But even now if I would be killed I wouldn't be bothered. Every time I spawned the game was totally different compared to the last one

And imho that's the true power of this mod right now... Loving it big time! :D

Edited by Slartybartfast

Heres the extent of my wonderfully entertaining times with this awesome mod:

After of course waiting the excrutiatingly long loading times.....

Game 1: wandered around for awhile, found some sort of fort, hit once by a zombie, broken bone, spent 2 hours crawling around searching for anything to heal it. Broken bone never wore off.

gave up playing after wasting all that time.

Game 2: figuring I'd give the game another chance, tried to play with a friend. As there was no buddy system, it made finding the same game very hard, and as there's no map or anything, we could never locate each other while trying. After looking up a map online I tried to get to said friend, when a zombie spawned right behind me. Said zombie chased me two towns, and across the river to an island. After he hit me once my character began to bleed, till I eventually died.

After waiting the 20 minutes or so it takes to respawn....

Game 3: we found another server, spawned a town away, I tried to run to said friend, zombie literally spawned right in front of my face, proceeded to chase me forever. Again, with no weapon, I began to bleed out after taking one hit. Since I couldn't stop to bandage myself I died slowly.

Long story short, this game is shit, and is definately the worst gameplay experience I have ever had.

Suggestions for improvement? perhaps not have olympic swimming dead bodies, or maybe have them stop chasing you after running for 20 minutes, perhaps have them get distracted by the cows or goats you uselessly ran to. Maybe at the very least give your character a basic punch attack to fend off that first zombie. Make it so the broken bone status wears off instead of wasting 2 hours of your life.

I bought Arma2 specifically for this mod, and I am so bloody disappointed, I was mislead into thinking this game was refined enough to be worth spending money on.

Sorry but people like you are everything I hate about gaming nowadays. You played the game for what, an hour? And you didn't have much success? Boo fucking hoo, the reason this game is so interesting is because it is a breath of fresh air, it is hard, it is challanging, you will die, and loose everything, in any second its over. You are not spoon fed, you start with nothing and normally end with nothing, no one holds your hand and people can stab you in the back at any moment. I've been playing a few weeks and I'm still learning...

Your reasons for not liking this free MOD is YOU being a retard, not the game itself. I could understand if you said you were being killed by Bandits etc etc, deal with it, you can just run and NEVER be hit by a Zed... and it is more than easy to loose them. Yes they aggro at an annoying range atm, (unless you're in worm mode) but they can be lost with ease. Yes they are buggy, its Alpha, get over it. This game requires patience, something I have lost with playing games as of late, but after a while you sit back, and THINK...learn. I've had a weird but great experience with this game and I don't really understand why as 95% of the time its like playing Running Simulator, but that 5% when you and you're buddies have a pvp interaction good/bad / or any crazy situation that creates anger/humor/anxiety/andrenaline is awesome.

• Like 2

I'm on my second day and probably my 6th life...you'll learn. Best bet depending on server pop is to just immediately make a scavenger run for the nearest big city. Screw stealth, kite zombies into buildings and grab essentials. Some bandages, Epis, blood packs seem to be a nice way to convince other Survivors to not shoot, just by telling people that I'm friendly, have a bead on them (with my empty AK LOL) but willing to give blood has garnered me a few friendlies that otherwise would shot me dead.

With the right tools you can essentially survive in the wilderness without ever having to go into a city again. Get lucky, find a tent, hide it well and you can start taking a few more risks (maybe).

Besides that, yeah Alpha sucks, but it is what it is. Only thing I wish was changed was the insanity of dying from hunger/thirst when I have uncooked meat and standing next to a pond/in the rain. I was thinking since there are diseases, maybe allow Survivors to eat uncooked meat/drink water without a bottle and have a chance of getting sick. Pretty ludicrous that my guy will let himself die of thirst next to a million gallons of water, presumably because it's unclean or die of hunger because he likes his steaks Well Done, not Rare.lol Maybe replace water bottles/add with Water Cleansing Tabs or emergency fire kits. Still don't know how to harvest wood, keeps telling me I need to be in a forest next to a tree (even though I'm chopping this tree with my reloaded Man Axe.)

Otherwise I'm loving the game, it has great potential, and worst comes to worst,you can wait a couple months for patches and hopefully play when a lot of these things have been worked out.

Only thing I wish was changed was the insanity of dying from hunger/thirst when I have uncooked meat and standing next to a pond/in the rain. I was thinking since there are diseases, maybe allow Survivors to eat uncooked meat/drink water without a bottle and have a chance of getting sick. Pretty ludicrous that my guy will let himself die of thirst next to a million gallons of water, presumably because it's unclean or die of hunger because he likes his steaks Well Done, not Rare.lol Maybe replace water bottles/add with Water Cleansing Tabs or emergency fire kits.

Still don't know how to harvest wood, keeps telling me I need to be in a forest next to a tree (even though I'm chopping this tree with my reloaded Man Axe.)

Yeah thats a good idea, like you said, its an Alpha, I'm sure something like this could/will come into play, I feel your pain on that one! Can't even drink out of a water pump without a bottle -,-

Regarding the wood issue, I had that also, only works in thick forests with lots of trees in close proximity and 10metres+ plus from the verge.

Heres the extent of my wonderfully entertaining times with this awesome mod:

After of course waiting the excrutiatingly long loading times.....

Game 1: wandered around for awhile, found some sort of fort, hit once by a zombie, broken bone, spent 2 hours crawling around searching for anything to heal it. Broken bone never wore off.

gave up playing after wasting all that time.

Game 2: figuring I'd give the game another chance, tried to play with a friend. As there was no buddy system, it made finding the same game very hard, and as there's no map or anything, we could never locate each other while trying. After looking up a map online I tried to get to said friend, when a zombie spawned right behind me. Said zombie chased me two towns, and across the river to an island. After he hit me once my character began to bleed, till I eventually died.

After waiting the 20 minutes or so it takes to respawn....

Game 3: we found another server, spawned a town away, I tried to run to said friend, zombie literally spawned right in front of my face, proceeded to chase me forever. Again, with no weapon, I began to bleed out after taking one hit. Since I couldn't stop to bandage myself I died slowly.

Long story short, this game is shit, and is definately the worst gameplay experience I have ever had.

Suggestions for improvement? perhaps not have olympic swimming dead bodies, or maybe have them stop chasing you after running for 20 minutes, perhaps have them get distracted by the cows or goats you uselessly ran to. Maybe at the very least give your character a basic punch attack to fend off that first zombie. Make it so the broken bone status wears off instead of wasting 2 hours of your life.

I bought Arma2 specifically for this mod, and I am so bloody disappointed, I was mislead into thinking this game was refined enough to be worth spending money on.

the mod has been made to be purposely that harsh, if you dive in head first as a newbie without knowing the basics you will die alot, easy way to not get hit is to keep running fully stood they will never catch you because they have to stop completely before trying to hit you, run around corners and stone walls etc in a maze like fashion if they can no longer see or hear you they will stop running but stil persue the same path you took, at this point you quickly duck or go prone and quietly break out far of the zombies pursueing path,

" I was mislead into thinking this game was refined enough to be worth spending money on." what you got for your money is not dayz you got arma II and operation arrowhead which are actually damn good games in my opinion dayz is a mod, a free optional extra, which i think is as good if not better, its just that your new m8, i was really bad at it a few weeks ago and was just running into zombies all the time, you learn from your own mistakes quickly

Edited by Rocky46

Yeah thats a good idea, like you said, its an Alpha, I'm sure something like this could/will come into play, I feel your pain on that one! Can't even drink out of a water pump without a bottle -,-

Regarding the wood issue, I had that also, only works in thick forests with lots of trees in close proximity and 10metres+ plus from the verge.

it has to be and actual big forest not just a bunch of short ass trees im having a similar problem with tents tho that i cant figure out, i value hunting gear quite highly since i know how to use it knife matches hatchet, as long as i have these i dont bother looting wood piles i just head for the forest when i need a fire. also cooked meat recovers 800 blood each, can be a pain finding animals tho.

it has to be and actual big forest not just a bunch of short ass trees im having a similar problem with tents tho that i cant figure out, i value hunting gear quite highly since i know how to use it knife matches hatchet, as long as i have these i dont bother looting wood piles i just head for the forest when i need a fire. also cooked meat recovers 800 blood each, can be a pain finding animals tho.

It's a pain, but on my 3rd(4th?) life I spent almost all that time WWWWWWWWWWWWWWW into the wilderness, found more then enough tasty snacks to keep my hunger level under control. The problem was more of not being able to find matches (I can fly a chopper, fix cars, administer emergency medical service, but don't know how to start a fire by hand?lol) but that's the price for playing it safe and being a boyscout. You don't find much people shit randomly in the woods.

Minecraft did not charge money ANYWHERE for alpha

thats actually a lie i bought minecraft in alpha, it was much cheaper then but you got the game for good with all future releases, you may be confusing earlier version, sorry to go off topic btw

It's a pain, but on my 3rd(4th?) life I spent almost all that time WWWWWWWWWWWWWWW into the wilderness, found more then enough tasty snacks to keep my hunger level under control. The problem was more of not being able to find matches (I can fly a chopper, fix cars, administer emergency medical service, but don't know how to start a fire by hand?lol) but that's the price for playing it safe and being a boyscout. You don't find much people shit randomly in the woods.

yeah i know what you mean but matches are usually in cherno or electro in houses mostly, these cities are a haven for loot and 90% of the time if i survive i come out with everything i need and an alice backpack it dangerous tho yeah but that sense of relief and acheivement when you escape with a ton of gear to the woods safe from players and walkers is a great feeling when woodland wandering you can kinda rest on your laurels abit if youve had a good city stock run just grabbing bits and peices here and there popping off a few lonely zombs

yeah i know what you mean but matches are usually in cherno or electro in houses mostly, these cities are a haven for loot and 90% of the time if i survive i come out with everything i need and an alice backpack it dangerous tho yeah but that sense of relief and acheivement when you escape with a ton of gear to the woods safe from players and walkers is a great feeling when woodland wandering you can kinda rest on your laurels abit if youve had a good city stock run just grabbing bits and peices here and there popping off a few lonely zombs

Definitely a good idea on fresh spawns, especially so as everything gets smoothed out and load times go down. The risk/benefit is just so much better, you're not as heavily invested in a fresh spawn so the risk is low while the reward is high. Woodlands really suck when you've got flashing meters and there's nothing but trees for miles and miles around.

• Like 1

Definitely a good idea on fresh spawns, especially so as everything gets smoothed out and load times go down. The risk/benefit is just so much better, you're not as heavily invested in a fresh spawn so the risk is low while the reward is high. Woodlands really suck when you've got flashing meters and there's nothing but trees for miles and miles around.

thats when i head for small towns with supermarkets that are f**kin miles away i was in pustoshka for ages which is quite abit west of stary sober(http:\\dayzmap.info if you want to see exactly)

supermarkets are great i love them :D

Stopped reading on the second page of this thread. I always enjoy a good thread about how shit this mod is even though it's in alpha, nearly 1 million people are playing it (successfully I might add), it's taking the gaming industry by storm, etc etc. Yet these threads continue to pop up... it doesn't take a genius to deduce that YOU are your own problem, the mod isn't terrible.

TL;DR - You obviously suck at this mod (which is expected if you're new to it), you lack any form of patience or desire to learn, and are a part of the "silver platter" generation of gaming.

Edited by Cyric

thats when i head for small towns with supermarkets that are f**kin miles away i was in pustoshka for ages which is quite abit west of stary sober(http:\\dayzmap.info if you want to see exactly)

supermarkets are great i love them :D

ive recently been dying more lately which is because im taking more risks running thru hills can get boring and tedious even if you have a backpack full of gear nothing but trees and gras as you stop to chow down on some canned pasta what should i do im miles away bored shitless, getting the gear for getting a car on the road is kind hard to come by any tips would be a help

Stopped reading on the second page of this thread. I always enjoy a good thread about how shit this mod is even though it's in alpha, nearly 1 million people are playing it (successfully I might add), it's taking the gaming industry by storm, etc etc. Yet these threads continue to pop up... it doesn't take a genius to deduce that YOU are your own problem, the mod isn't terrible.

TL;DR - You obviously suck at this mod (which is expected if you're new to it), you lack any form of patience or desire to learn, and are a part of the "silver platter" generation of gaming.

yeah most threads like that just stink of noob hemeroids and this one was a prime example, saying that tho there are a few issues that need to be addresses and wish were fixed sooner but overall this mod is something really great

Well, thanks for sharing.

P.S - Not sure who mislead you, it's never been advertised. You didn't spend any money on this free mod.

He's allowed to feel mislead. If those are his only gaming experiences, I can't really blame him for it either, because that really sucks.

On the other hand, this game is well known to have a steeper learning curve than, say, COD... :rolleyes:

Oh, bye the way, this game has been advertised - by the many players and reviewers claiming that this game is the next break trough in gaming, and not to mention by this very forum.

The poor sod probably bought Arma II and the exansion just to play DayZ, and for nothing else. Albeit he should probably have done better research, you can't really say that the game is free. You have to have the game before you can play the mod, so that argument is kind of moot.

---

My worst experience with DayZ: Not getting to play the mod for nearly all of the two weeks I had access to a PC because of patching problems... I did however get to play some Arma II, and I really, really liked it (actually I'd been wanting to play it for some time, but just didn't have a PC to do it on). I think it's much more envolving than, say, COD... but also BF3. The reason: I prefer simulation to brainless action.