Sign in to follow this  
JerFeelgood

Poll re Telepathic/Psychic exploit. Please read the example before answering question!

Telepath and psychic exploit  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Does the use of 3rd party comms (TeamSpeak, Ventrilo, etc) confer a telepathic/psychic exploit?

• Yes
    • No

Rocket has said he likes surveys and stats so.

E.g. A squad with TeamSpeak is stealthily hunting a survivor, coordinating their actions via the 3rd party comm software (equivalent to telepathic communication as it is non detectable in game). The lone prey, through mad paranoid counterdetection and stealth skillz, becomes aware of their presence and evades, circles around behind the preator, closes on a target and dispatches him with a silenced pistol shot to the head from behind. The player announces his death at close quarters via teamspeak (constituting psychic communication as he his communicating from beyond the grave). This completely negates the stealth skills of the lone player as all of his prey are now aware of his location.

Is this in fact, an exploit? Discuss

• Like 2

I can see where you are coming from but if i were you i would put on a fire resistant suit quickly, global chat is game breaking but at the same time eamspeak is fine. Players wull moan for what is best for them and makes their enemy weaker

• Like 3

I hope the stand alone takes on an in-game voice chat only if he is aiming for authenticity.. But there is always 'that discussion' of user friendly? (If I'm not mistaken? I'm rather drunk..)

I think it's quite ridiculous how we can communicate without being near but I think of it as I have a radio.

Nothing anyone can do about it. This is found in every single game on the market and its here to stay.

So is it an exploit? Does it matter?

Obviously not an exploit but if Rocket says he wants authenticity he will have to restrict communications to in-game only.. IN MY OPINION.

Nothing anyone can do about it. This is found in every single game on the market and its here to stay.

So is it an exploit? Does it matter?

I believe it's a central issue. If the idea is to simulate the apocalypse with humans in their modern incarnation i.e. no telepathic ability. The telepathic communication ability conferred by 3rd party comms gives squads massive advantages to the massive detriment of the loner.

Ideally I would love to see maual slow comms (flashlights, hand signals, radios found in game) be the norm as it would be more authentic to the proscribed environment and would be massively more immersive and tense.

is this a simulation or a game?

• Like 2

The only way to do it would be to make in-game communication more attractive.

I know radios have been discussed in the past, what about mobile phones? That way people could give their numbers to friends, leave numbers on notes and walls "Call Rocket for a good time 372 282 382".

How would you make it more attractive though? Good quality is a given but what else.. The state of communications in an apocalypse might be very broken, what if you accidently listened in to other channels on the radio, or if your phone signals were mixed up and listened in on other people's calls. Although voyeuristic it would be a lot of fun and could open up attack/defense strategies.

It would be ideal for people to use direct for all their communications at all time but I'm not sure there will ever be a way to make close quarters direct more attractive than a silent "telepathic" means.

Edit: Different grades of radios with more or less "power" and abilities to tune into other channels would be great.

Edited by ENSLAVER
  • Like 1

Obviously not an exploit but if Rocket says he wants authenticity he will have to restrict communications to in-game only.. IN MY OPINION.

He can't do that. That's the point of my post.

This is called 'ghosting' in most games, its fairly common. Up to the server admin to ban for this really.

I believe it's a central issue. If the idea is to simulate the apocalypse with humans in their modern incarnation i.e. no telepathic ability. The telepathic communication ability conferred by 3rd party comms gives squads massive advantages to the massive detriment of the loner.

Ideally I would love to see maual slow comms (flashlights, hand signals, radios found in game) be the norm as it would be more authentic to the proscribed environment and would be massively more immersive and tense.

is this a simulation or a game?

I agree with you 100% and I find it really annoying in other games but there is no way they can stop this. It's here to stay.

Even if he added in a radio chat system that every player has when they spawn on the beach, people will STILL use outside programs.

There's no way to stop it and not really any good way to police it. Better off just accepting it for what it is, adjusting your survival techniques accordingly and moving on.

First, please use the search function.

Second, It's not an exploit. If you want to call it anything, it's Meta-gaming, which is allowed. If you really must have something to explain group coordination in game that's silent, just assume these people have been running together for a while, and in game they're using sign language.

To be honest, I've run with the same couple guys for a while now, and I can basically tell you what they're thinking, where they're looking, how they're going to move and which targets they're going to shoot first, all without saying a word on TS.

it's not preventable, but they could offer better alternatives ingame. I know rocket has talked about radios. I think that would be cool. and I think direct chat could work a little better

First, please use the search function.

Second, It's not an exploit. If you want to call it anything, it's Meta-gaming, which is allowed. If you really must have something to explain group coordination in game that's silent, just assume these people have been running together for a while, and in game they're using sign language.

To be honest, I've run with the same couple guys for a while now, and I can basically tell you what they're thinking, where they're looking, how they're going to move and which targets they're going to shoot first, all without saying a word on TS.

so why not just use direct communication?

teamspeak is the equivalent in real life of someone wearing an earpiece , i think the problem here is that you have nobody to play with , which is a shame.

This is called 'ghosting' in most games, its fairly common. Up to the server admin to ban for this really.

Ghosting is logging out of the server, going behind someone, then logging back in and killing them

OP I don't like this idea mainly because I'm always on vent. It penalises the player too much by making it far less fun

teamspeak is the equivalent in real life of someone wearing an earpiece , i think the problem here is that you have nobody to play with , which is a shame.

yeah, but we're this post-apocalyptic situation, so that should be an item you have to find

plus the specific scenario he laid out dealt with a dead player talking to his friends. I don't think they have head sets that word like that

Ghosting is logging out of the server, going behind someone, then logging back in and killing them

"ghosting" in most games refers to a spectating player communicating with people in-game

Your forgetting one thing, even if rocket agreed with your post (unlikely) he doesn't really have the power to ban the use of 3rd party programs in DayZ. Mainly because its 100% impossible to police it and he doesn't own programs such as TS and thus does not have the right to ban it whilst playing DayZ.

It's no less authentic than the fact that you carry knowledge from your previous life into your next one.

If anything, direct chat needs a MUCH larger radius, this game would be fucking WORTHLESS without 3rd party voip.

Or.... it's just a group of friends who want to play together and when they die feel as if they should tell their friends. Lest somebody decides to head count and figures out little Johnny is missing his head.