afflix

[GUIDE] Keybindings & Tips For New Players

Some of my keys just will not let me rebind them. For example, Run/Walk toggle. No matter what I bind it to, such as right-shift, or right mouse button, or mousewheel - nothing. It just doesn't work. Any idea why? I would love to move from run to walk in quick single move and from stand to crouch too. I'd appreciate advice from anyone who has actually bound these actions to other keys.

The thing that a lot of people don't realise is that ArmA supports multi key binding.

For example lean left & lean right toggle I have mapped to my mouse tilt wheel L&R buttons.

At the same time the same buttons are set to evasive left & right ( the famous rollypolly).

If memory serves me right while in aircraft mode the same mouse buttons are set to left/right pedal.

Three different binds using the same button/s.

When you see a bind is in conflict in the control options, this does not mean that there will be problems, just that the key is multi bound to different commands.

Sula, I have walk/run toggle bound to R/shift without any problem, just check what other command is being used with the same R/shift and clear those that are not required.

Make sure that your config files are set to read/write and not read only.

Also make sure that you bind your keys with the correct character active.

Might help, might not.

Hi,

First of all, thanks for the guide, it's really great; am beginner myself, so controls are really a bit confusing.

Anyway, I am normally used to change walking direction by using mouse, as in the standard 3d shooters; is that possible in DayZ/ArmA too?

Hi there, thanks for the really helpful guide, but there's just a couple of things I can't seem to find anywhere (I'm a long-time ARMA player but I'm all new to DayZ)

1: I have no DEBUG gui in my games (grey tab below the ammo with STATS / info)...What key is it to get it on screen ?

2:When I die,and it says "YOU ARE DEAD" it also says "PRESS CHARACTER SELECTION KEY" but I do not know what this is either

if anyone out there in the community knows,Any help would be really appreciated (as I can't find this info in any of the NOOB/ BEGINNER guides)

How are you supposed to open doors? I just tried clicking the right mouse and ended up getting attacked by zombies cus I shot the door instead of opening it.

Edited by BigBirdFlying

you forgot to mention that dayz does not use the space bar and it is free to be remapped to whatever key they want 

Hi there, thanks for the really helpful guide, but there's just a couple of things I can't seem to find anywhere (I'm a long-time ARMA player but I'm all new to DayZ)

1: I have no DEBUG gui in my games (grey tab below the ammo with STATS / info)...What key is it to get it on screen ?

2:When I die,and it says "YOU ARE DEAD" it also says "PRESS CHARACTER SELECTION KEY" but I do not know what this is either

if anyone out there in the community knows,Any help would be really appreciated (as I can't find this info in any of the NOOB/ BEGINNER guides)

press escape the click disconect to go back to the lobby then click on ok

How are you supposed to open doors? I just tried clicking the right mouse and ended up getting attacked by zombies cus I shot the door instead of opening it.

scroll wheel then click open door

When I turn with A and D, my whole body and camera rotates awkwardly and its very hard to navigate, any binding/options advice?

That's something I would like to know as well.

you press f and in the top right it will say full/burst/semi not all guns have all options

How does one roll around when prone? I've seen people do it in videos but no guides on the internet care to include it.

Must be a secret.

when you are prone press your lean keys(default are "q" and "e")

there is no longer a debug by default but if you press "insert key" on your keyboard if the server has a debug then it will turn it on.

for the you are dead screen just press "escape" the go to "disconnect" and you are then back in the lobby then click "ok" again.

I bound my Gear button to TAB, but it won't close on that button as well. It does when I press G. Any suggestions?

(404 Not Found) for map link.

I recommend a couple ones in case you cant find one.

izurvive.com and daydb.com

izurvive.com allows you to login as a group, auto follow you, and place markers on the map.

You can bind this inside steam if you need be.

Right-click steam, go to settings, web browser. change to http://www.izurvive.comand volla your there.

Alt tab in game pops up the map.

For those that have andriod and apple products you maybe able to download the app izurvive.com offers.

The dayz wiki is nice too for information.

I bound my Gear button to TAB, but it won't close on that button as well. It does when I press G. Any suggestions?

Bind it to i for inventory. That way if you have p up you can see your inventory as well.

G you want for frag throwing.