afflix

[GUIDE] Keybindings & Tips For New Players

With more and more people buying the game and downloading this mod, I figured i'd make simple guide for any new players to DayZ, or more specifically Arma2, as I myself have only played Arma2 for a short while!

Anything to add, just post and I'll throw it in the list.

~ DT = DOUBLE-TAP

~ NUMPAD refers to a key on the number pad located to the right of your keyboard.

~ [#] See tips regarding this particular keybind.

Movement

• - RUN/WALK: SHIFT (DT toggle)
    - SPRINT: DT W
    - PRONE: Z
    - CROUCH: X
    - STAND: C
    - VAULT (step over fences): V
    - LEAN (roll when prone): Q and E (Left and Right, DT toggle)
    - CLIMB LADDER/ACTION: MOUSE WHEEL SCROLL / CLICK (often times you may have to re-position yourself to successfully climb a ladder, look for a up/down arrow) [1]

View

• - THIRD PERSON: NUMPAD ENTER (ensure you are in a 3rd person enabled server for this to work)
    - ZOOM OUT/WIDER FIELD OF VIEW: DT NUMPAD -
    - ZOOM IN: HOLD RCLICK
    - IRONSIGHTS: TAP RCLICK
    - HOLD BREATH: HOLD RCLICK (whilst aiming down sights)
    - FREE LOOK: ALT (DT toggle)

Social

• - CYCLE CHAT CHANNEL: , and .
    - CHAT: /
    - VOIP/PTT: CAPS LOCK (DT toggle)
    - MUTE PLAYER: P > SELECT PLAYER > MUTE (located to the right)

Gadgets

• - BINOCULARS: B
    - WATCH: O (DT toggle)
    - COMPASS: K (DT toggle)
    - NVG: N (DT toggle?)
    - MAP: M [2]

Gear/Weapon

• - OPEN INVENTORY: G
    - PICK-UP ITEM: G or MOUSE WHEEL SCROLL / CLICK
    - USE/CONSUME ITEM: RCLICK ITEM ICON IN INVENTORY (specifically the icon, rather than the name in the list)
    - CYCLE WEAPON (cycle through grenades, flares, throwable items): F
    - SWITCH WEAPON (cycle between your primary and secondary weapon): ;
    - LOWER/RAISE PRIMARY (does not work with pistols): DT LCTRL or RCTRL + R
    - ZERO (adjust distance of sniper scope/shots): PAGE UP / PAGE DOWN

Misc

• - FLASHLIGHT/HEADLIGHTS: L
    - SIT: '
    - SALUTE: \
    - TOGGLE WINDOWED/FULLSCREEN: ALT+ENTER (I believe you have to press ESC to bring up the menu, then ALT+ENTER)

General Tips

• - FLUSHING: If you experience graphical glitches, sometimes 'flushing' might help. To do this, hold SHIFT and NUMPAD - and type 'flush'.
    - [1] CAN'T PICK UP AN ITEM?: I have occasionally struggled to pick up an item from a certain stash on the ground, usually because it is right next to a door. People often miss this simple tip: scroll the mouse wheel up/down until you have the option of 'Take x y z' or 'Gear'.
    - [2] LOST? One of the best maps I have found online so far is
AvidBlur's.

• Like 27

This is the best damn guide I've seen so far, I'm tempted to stick it but we have so many fucking guides already stickied.

Ah thanks a lot, thats brilliant. Will update it as I come across any other tips and bindings I might find useful! I did try to keep the tips quite short as there are so many guides! :)

Thanks! You cleared up some confusion for me. Which button on the numpad is "numpad?" The one used to zoom out? Sorry if I sound like a noob.

Right click does a few things.

Click to bring up iron sights.

Hold to zoom and hold breath(steaddy aim).

I prefere to reassign hold breath to a seperate key.

Thanks! You cleared up some confusion for me. Which button on the numpad is "numpad?" The one used to zoom out? Sorry if I sound like a noob.

'NUMPAD' refers to the actual NUMPAD itself rather than a physical key. So where I have put 'NUMPAD -'' date=' I generally mean the minus on the right hand side of your keyboard under the number pad section.

Don't be sorry! This post is intended for anyone new and I won't judge anyone for any questions they might have!

EDIT: I have updated the original post with a little colour change to avoid any further possible confusion :)

Right click does a few things.

Click to bring up iron sights.

Hold to zoom and hold breath(steaddy aim).

I prefere to reassign hold breath to a seperate key.

Yup, they've been covered under 'View' in the original post, but thanks :)

• Like 1

Salute is \ by default' date=' not #

[/quote']

Thank you, I had remember changing it from the default as it was the same key as my Steam Overlay keybind! Changing that now, thanks for that.

Also, isn't there a way to quickly cycle through actions you can do like eating, drinking, and bandaging without going into the menu? Isn't it mouse wheel or something?

Also' date=' isn't there a way to quickly cycle through actions you can do like eating, drinking, and bandaging without going into the menu? Isn't it mouse wheel or something?

[/quote']

Kind of, I believe the latest patch has changed that slightly; Middle Mouse Scroll / Click used to give you the option to eat, drink, use bandage and more, however since the patch, it has made it so that you must use/consume items from your inventory.

Middle Mouse Click still allows you to open doors and pick up items, which i kind of covered in the Gear / Weapon section, but i will review that in a few minutes (replying from my phone atm), thanks chan.

I would put prone on the space bar. It's the biggest and quickest button to mash when you get in trouble.

I would put prone on the space bar. It's the biggest and quickest button to mash when you get in trouble.

Fair suggestion, considering space bar isn't used in DayZ (afaik). I suppose it'd be a good key to bind to vault aswell.

Although, the original post is about the default keys. :)

Space is your command interface in normal Arma and still a waste of a key in my opinion.

Vault is pretty terrible to map to it though, seeing as it is extremely time consuming and finicky. Best keep it to V.

I've found that some keys don't seem to be re-bindable e.g. lft-alt: command watch (thing that lets you move your head independently). Very minor annoyance in a game i'm loving atm.

I've found that some keys don't seem to be re-bindable e.g. lft-alt: command watch (thing that lets you move your head independently). Very minor annoyance in a game i'm loving atm.

I've managed to rebind 'Free Look' to the Space bar, just a second ago. Are you attempting to rebind the KEY LALT to something else, or something else to Free Look?

Something that really helped me was changing the sprint and run button to space bar. I don't really know if that messes up anything for the normal arma 2

also key binding weapon cycle to my mouse.

As a person who uses ESDF vs WASD, I've had a bunch of people interested in how I have my keys set up. One thing that I suggest is having people bind Stand Up and Vault to the same key, with Vault being activated by hitting that key twice (in my case, A). For those interested:

EDSF - Movement

Space - Fast Forward

A - Stand Up

Z - Crouch

Left Shift - Prone

2xD - Walk/Run Toggle

MMB - Toggle Weapons

LMB - Fire

R - Reload

G - Switch Weapon (Primary/Secondary)

H - Toggle Raise Weapon

MWheel Up - Previous

MWheel Dn - Next

W - Default Action

V - Freelook

Tab - Gear

X - Watch

C - Compass

B - Binoculars

M - Show/hide Map

Page Up - Zero Up

Page Dn - Zero Dn

RMB (hold) - Hold Breath

Q - Salute

2xA - Step Over

U - Previous Chat Channel

Y - Next Chat Channel

T - Chat

As a person who uses ESDF vs WASD' date=' I've had a bunch of people interested in how I have my keys set up. One thing that I suggest is having people bind Stand Up and Vault to the same key, with Vault being activated by hitting that key twice (in my case, A). For those interested:

[/quote']

This is very interesting! Not many people play ESDF (even though it makes so much sense), i don't think i'd be able to get my head around it!

EDIT: Snipped the quote as it was rather large :]

Hey there everyone. I'm a user of the G13 myself and made an Arma2 profile. (Mostly for DayZ really). I didn't play Arma for quite a while till I switched to DayZ, so the M2 and M3 (Land and air vehicles) modes are kind of lacking. It basically uses the same setup that I use in every game. Felt like I might as well share it with you guys, even though I do suspect everyone with a G13 has his own setup they want to stick to.

Image%202012-05-26%20at%202.22.41%20PM.png

(Look at G1. Doesn't make Walking Simulator that bad)

You can download my DayZ G13 profile here

Then I also use a G700 mouse, that has 4 buttons at the side and 3 buttons right next to the left mouse button.

Thumb buttons:

Bottom Left = Push to Talk on Teamspeak

Bottom Right = Direct Comms voice

Top Left = Zoom in

Top Right = Zoom out

Buttons next to left mouse button:

Front = Zero Up

Center = Setpoint profile switching (Not for the game)

Back = Zero Down

The only ingame control that I changed is that I unbound Zooming when you hold right mouse button!

thanks for posting this' date=' really helps alot

[/quote']

Not a problem :)

Also, Adanteh, thanks for sharing the profile :)