Gogster (DayZ)

Air Drops, a way to mix-up the PvP and camping

An idea, could be crap could be good - you decide. I'll throw this out there, but I've no idea how difficult it would be to code, here goes:

Possibly remove the military tents or reduce the loot to ammo. This is the start of the measure to reduce camping and be the carrot for the next bit.

Periodically have a plane fly overhead and drop 'supplies' which would consist of military, food & medical high yield.

Players would have to watch the path of the plane to track where the air drop is going to land, but it would not be totally random, a collection of 10-20 zones, generally in clearings around the map.

Hopefully this would have the effect of coaxing campers out of the towns and cities and into other areas of the map, creating a scenario where PvP could happen anywhere.

Over to you guys to pull apart :)

• Like 3

i dont know man, seems like a cool idea, but would i guess somewhat ruin a bit of the "apocalypse" factor from the game, or is it just me ? seeing planes flying over you. but overall seems like a cool idea.

-an indeed should be a VERY rare event happening. not something common.

Edited by Tatakt

While a good idea this would be more interesting if it could be triggered as a player driven event. Plane spawns should be allowed along with heli. Maybe the transport ones in arma. Once they are crashed, they spawn loot like crashed helios. Those driving the plane should value it for its firepower and mobility... And others might just want to bring it down for the loot.

Thus would scatter people who want to hunt for them.

i dont know man, seems like a cool idea, but would i guess somewhat ruin a bit of the "apocalypse" factor from the game, or is it just me ? seeing planes flying over you. but overall seems like a cool idea.

-an indeed should be a VERY rare event happening. not something common.

You hit on a good point. This idea could make the game unfair (as if fairness seems to matter!) as if a player is unlucky enough to be off the server when the air drop kicks in, on a number of occasions they would miss out contesting for it.

Or it could have the alternate effect of making people contest for the better guns by even more PvP...

As for the source of the drops, if we're assuming the whole world is not taken over - the UN could be the source.

An idea, could be crap could be good - you decide. I'll throw this out there, but I've no idea how difficult it would be to code, here goes:

Possibly remove the military tents or reduce the loot to ammo. This is the start of the measure to reduce camping and be the carrot for the next bit.

Periodically have a plane fly overhead and drop 'supplies' which would consist of military, food & medical high yield.

Players would have to watch the path of the plane to track where the air drop is going to land, but it would not be totally random, a collection of 10-20 zones, generally in clearings around the map.

Hopefully this would have the effect of coaxing campers out of the towns and cities and into other areas of the map, creating a scenario where PvP could happen anywhere.

Over to you guys to pull apart :)

I like Tents, i just wish they fixed them... it REALLY needed in this game, cause after getting ur backpack full, their no point of roaming around/no goal, if u get 5 clips/3-4 foods/5 drinks/tools(map/compass etc.).

Only thing would be left is just PVP... which in this case if they removed loot/lowered it, -.- makes everyone bandit cause everyone be killing each other, but what hte point of killing another person if ur loot bag is full and cant pick up their gun cause u got no place to store it.

adding Air Drops as random event on top of plane crashes =would be awesome idea. Just hear a chopper and follow it, it might crash it might drop supplies.

Also makeing Tents as a choice for your respawn, would clear alot of things up. Having choice to spawn at ur tent or somewere along the coast, make them destroyable by hatchets/crowbars to destroy player's spawn points, not just by explosives.v

Honestly if u want pvp just play other mods of Arma 2, this about feeling of surviability/zombie world as much as possible, if you take away loot and just make it ammo, or their no way to set up ur own lil camp, it be just like any other First Person Shooter Out Their.

If DayZ + Minecraft had a baby = Perfect Game in My Book.

Hello there

I like the idea of random drops.

It would help spice things up and would stop the exodus of "gear heads" to the known loot locations.

rgds

LoK

Great idea, but it`s needs to be rare imho.

I'd like to think of it as an alternative to the high yield military spots, rather than them existing on the map together. Otherwise you wouldn't get the attraction of people wanting to get what was in the drop.

It would match whatever the re-spawn rate is of the high yield military, or maybe a bit more scarce as another way of attracting players to track it would be the multiple type (military, medical) that would spawn in it, making it very attractive to players.

I like Tents, i just wish they fixed them...

Apologies, I put tents when I meant "military high yield locations", I'm not suggesting getting rid of player tents.

Yeah, something like this would be nice and would certainly add to Day Z. I'd like to see them really spread out though as people do just grab vehicles and drive to all the spots where the helicopters have crashed, but I suppose you could still do it with something like this.

air drops of meds and food seems logical, but dropping weapon is not. who would drop military weapons in zombie invaded land? except its some sort of damn tv show

You hit on a good point. This idea could make the game unfair (as if fairness seems to matter!) as if a player is unlucky enough to be off the server when the air drop kicks in, on a number of occasions they would miss out contesting for it.

Or it could have the alternate effect of making people contest for the better guns by even more PvP...

As for the source of the drops, if we're assuming the whole world is not taken over - the UN could be the source.

Fairness doesn't seem to matter? How do you figure? Everyone can get the same gear, nobody has a leg up over another(unless you count hackers.)

This would be fun, We're in a quarantine zone and we're being lifted supplies.

Fairness doesn't seem to matter? How do you figure? Everyone can get the same gear, nobody has a leg up over another(unless you count hackers.)

Without digressing too much, I was hinting at ganking of players without weapons etc...

Is a good idea but not much different from the already in place Heli crash site spawns.

air drops of meds and food seems logical, but dropping weapon is not. who would drop military weapons in zombie invaded land? except its some sort of damn tv show

I did think about this, my only reasoning would be they were [the UN] dropping weapons to help the survivors of this terrible virus survive, until an intervention force can be mobilized.

Would that cover it?

Probably not, lol.

Apologies, I searched for "air drops"

Nevermind.We both think a same thing...Its better to have more threads about this... bigger chance it will be added :D

Edited by Ladas325

Is a good idea but not much different from the already in place Heli crash site spawns.

I agree and disagree.

Yes the helicopters can be a good pull but there's no indicator to show players that a helicopter has spawned, so there's no draw to get people to come out to it (aside from players telling there friends on TS or those that stumble on it)

Also, whilst the military high yield spawns remain, players can ignore the helicopters as they know they can go to the airfield for decent military equipment.

If DayZ + Minecraft had a baby = Perfect Game in My Book.

DayZ and Minecraft did have a baby, it's called MineZ. Google it, super fun.