Gadget (DayZ)

This game will fail long term if the PK problem isnt addressed

Now the OP makes some good points, but PvP is a major part of the game and should not be removed just limited like players can't kill new spawns for a certain amount of time or something like that. It is a pain trying to get gear if you don't have time to find safety before you get popped by some kid who wants to think he's bad by killing an unarmed person.

You ideally want a certain ratio or balance to players.

Not really.

Most smart companies cater to the majority. The minority playerbase is insignificant. Harsh, but true. The only time a company should ever cater to a minority group is if that group suddenly becomes the majority. This is assuming the company in question us out to make money, anyway.

People don't seem to understand that a game like this is not going to be balanced a certain way. That's not the point. If you have a problem with a game, and can't bring yourself to get over it, stop playing. End of story. You are entitled to absolutely nothing. No change needs to be made to "balance" the game for you. Not liking something is a personal choice, an opinion, subjective. Similar to how the concept of "fun" is subjective and personal. If 2000 people don't like something but 30,000 people do, that's unfortunate for the 2000. This is not a matter of balance, it is a matter of common sense.

That being said, most successful companies who follow a money making model will throw a bone to a minority playerbase from time to time. It's just a nice thing to do, and sometimes it even balances something out. But at some point people need to start realizing you're not entitled.

• Like 1

Sorry if I misunderstood, the whole idea of 'safe areas' and 'banks' just seemed a little too sarcastic to me. I've got no problem with the PvP side except that its unforgiving. ie. no matter how good you are at the game you will die to someone spawning behind you, someone camping etc etc. That's the biggest part of my gripe.

I've accepted what a few of the smarter people have pointed out on here - that it is more of a social experiment. I agree its a social experiment that has shown that high percentage of the player base would rather kill on site than work cooperatively. My suggestions here to improve the game are to lower weapon damage, or allow people to run a server that is NOT connected to the hive.

What I think would help and I did ask if you think it would be good for those people that are not so much into the whole free for all PvP is to add in a server option for teams where if you where on the Bandit camp then you could only kill Survivors and vise versa. I personally think that having that option would alleviate the situation as long as it doesn't change the overall concept of the game itself which is survival.

I'm not saying I'm against private run PvE server and I don't have a problem with it, that's all up to the developers if they release it or not. But as long as those players in those servers stay in those servers then it's all good.

Edited by jay.pis

Makes no sense. It's a game.

The point of a game is to be fun. If this were really trying to not be fun, then hackers would not be considered an issue, and you would randomly die from time to time and lose all your stuff, or the 'anti-game' would be locked at 5 FPS, or you could only turn to the right.

It's a game. It's got a different set of rules, and it bills itself as 'edgy,' but it's a game.

People like this apparently think anti-heroes aren't still heroes in some sense. Literally being too literal.

I would suggest you read the post by rocket where he quite clearly states it was never meant to be fun.

Fun is also a relative term, and many people will disagree with the "fun" this type of game produces for people. Perma-death coupled with the tension of not knowing when you could lose all your beans leads to plenty of fun for a good majority of people.

I would suggest you read the post by rocket where he quite clearly states it was never meant to be fun.

I would suggest you step into what some of us would call the real world.

The sole intention is not to be fun, but's it's certainly a byproduct of the game.

If it wasn't, no one would be playing. Now do everyone a favor and leave with your half assed arguments of extreme fail.

Edited by skyter

Fun is also a relative term, and many people will disagree with the "fun" this type of game produces for people. Perma-death coupled with the tension of not knowing when you could lose all your beans leads to plenty of fun for a good majority of people.

I didn't say I didn't think it was fun, I was simply pointing out that the person I quoted wasn't entirely correct with his wording.

Not really.

Most smart companies cater to the majority. The minority playerbase is insignificant. Harsh, but true. The only time a company should ever cater to a minority group is if that group suddenly becomes the majority. This is assuming the company in question us out to make money, anyway

Not really.

Most smart companies cater to everyone they can make money catering to. If it takes a few hours to code in the options for PvE-only or PvP-restricted servers, and profits go up enough to justify the hours of coding, then a smart company would do it. Catering to the minority is very good business, when the minority wants something that doesn't take much time to add. In Counterstrike, you can block certain weapons on a server if you don't like them. You might be in the minority, but you can do it.

It think our issue with the OP is that he seems to be saying that ALL servers need restricted PvP, which is silly. Restricted-PvP should be an option, however. It would keep people like myself playing and paying.

The only reason not to do it is if the programmers are already busy doing things that will make even more money, and hiring more programmers is not economically sound.

I would suggest you step into what some of us would call the real world.

The sole intention is not to be fun, but's it's certainly a byproduct of the game.

If it wasn't, no one would be playing. Now do everyone a favor and leave with your half assed arguments of extreme fail.

Cute straw-man.

The fact that it gained a following was a complete surprise to the man who made the game. The point of the matter is, he didn't intend it to be fun. It was made to show people who said he couldn't do it that he could, in fact, do it. Not once did I state that it currently was not fun, or should ever be not fun. You misinterpreted my words, or you're simply trolling.

Makes no sense. It's a game.

The point of a game is to be fun. If this were really trying to not be fun, then hackers would not be considered an issue, and you would randomly die from time to time and lose all your stuff, or the 'anti-game' would be locked at 5 FPS, or you could only turn to the right.

It's a game. It's got a different set of rules, and it bills itself as 'edgy,' but it's a game.

as i said before, it bills itself (according to the developer) as an authentic antigame experiment that invokes an emotional response from its players, with frustration being high on that list of emotions. other words that have been used by him are brutal, unbalanced, unfair, and cruel. i cannot recall any instance in which rocket has said fun was a primary concern.

• Like 1

You must go deeper and see WHY are there so many bandits? The reason is not just because they want the gear of other Players, no I think these are the minority of the bandits (actually the minority of the annoying bandits). The main problem is that there is no endgame-content. What do you do if you have everything? I MEAN EVERYTHING! Well the only reason to play then is pvp, and for the Statistics. And then you go to the Citys with higher population like Stary, Cherno and Elektro (NW-Airfield maybe too) because otherwise you won't have your PVP. Thats it, either you kill yourself and begin from 0, or you go out and kill other Players. There is nothing left to do later in the game.

Edited by Shacony

People like this apparently think anti-heroes aren't still heroes in some sense. Literally being too literal.

Anti-hero is one of the few uses of 'anti' that doesn't mean 'opposite.' Antichrist isn't the 'edgy' version of Jesus. If all you mean by 'anti-game' is that it's really hard, then it's a stupid word. Just use 'frustrating game.' Super Meat Boy is not an 'anti-game.'

Anti-hero only has meaning because there's already a word for the opposite of a hero- a villain. There's no word for the opposite of a game.

you must not of had a gun.

I did have a gun! I was sporting a Makarov and my buddy had a hatchet

Not really.

Most smart companies cater to everyone they can make money catering to. If it takes a few hours to code in the options for PvE-only or PvP-restricted servers, and profits go up enough to justify the hours of coding, then a smart company would do it.

If the profits are enough to consider adding something, that group is no longer a minority. Keep in mind I am speaking of a scenario where a minority group wants something added, but the majority adamantly opposes it, to the point where they would stop playing. In such a case, no, it doesn't make sense.

However yes, in a case where a small playerbase wants something added to the game that isn't opposed by a huge group, then it's totaly possible to happen.

whine whine whine, as rocket said, we are the most organized, and while you sit here and cry on the forum, we are becoming more organized, laying tactics, and you sit here and try in a hopeless attempt to make this game a carebear game, what do you think this is? a "run around and just loot" game? are you stupid? is that what the engine is for?

Move on, you have been killed, so have i, so what? its the game, and its damn fun. If you dont like it then i suggest going back to your high pased action game, there is nothing wrong with the game, there is something wrong with YOU, acknowledge that already -.- its not hard

I just love to see the idiots lovers of DayZ trying to protect it, just dumb, very dumb who does that.Well I am also leaving the game because of bugs and YES!I am going to left 4 dead 2 because in there you are scared of zombies and not scared of 10 years old trying to kill to think they are cool or whatever.

• Like 1

Lol at the comments about smart businesses only sticking to one thing. A lot of the most successful business, Walmart, Target, etc. are successful because a customer can come to their store, and do all of their shopping in one stop.

• Like 1

DayZ is not a one-stop shop.

I just love to see the idiots lovers of DayZ trying to protect it, just dumb, very dumb who does that.Well I am also leaving the game because of bugs and YES!I am going to left 4 dead 2 because in there you are scared of zombies and not scared of 10 years old trying to kill to think they are cool or whatever.

good for you, have fun projecting your rage on another game, dont really care, the playerbase is growing, i guess those playing dayz are the ones who know that in RL you also lose stuff, and it aint that much different, except its easier getting your stuff back than it is in RL, so yeah.

Btw l4d isnt scary lol, its just an action game like most other games, you are fooled.

EDIT: and i would actually prefer having you leave, its better than still having you play dayz, so im very happy about your decision to leave, it means that that "side" of the community is going bye bye, better DayZ are Arising.

Edited by Zyfer

No, but the comparison to it does to a degree.. A sandbox.

Edited by McKh

in regards to all this smart businesses and money talk:

paraphrasing here, but you can find this info in the sticky somewhere...

rocket doesn't care about money or fame. he's already denied the money train in the past regarding dayz and other things. that is exactly why this mod exists, because he's not concerned with money. if he was, it'd be balanced, with quests, and refined loot systems, and all the other cookie cutter things all games have these days.

• Like 1

I think this game could use a smaller playerbase. Would be much more of a community if it wasn't the hipster thing right now.

Let people have their own private HIVE in which they can play with no, or limited, PvP options.

End of argument, it already exists. People have been doing it, and you know what? Those servers aren't like L4D at all. Simple rules such as no sniping into coastal towns, that's the only rule it took and the server became a lot more fun. Yeah sure bandits still camped but at least they could be seen and dealt with. Regular PvP went on without any problem, and Sobor/NWAF had lots of firefights.

All because of one rule: No sniping into coastal cities.

An artificial rule, a fantasy rule, but clearly a positive rule to counter the artificial, fantasy PKing.

• Like 1

good for you, have fun projecting your rage on another game, dont really care, the playerbase is growing, i guess those playing dayz are the ones who know that in RL you also lose stuff, and it aint that much different, except its easier getting your stuff back than it is in RL, so yeah.

Btw l4d isnt scary lol, its just an action game like most other games, you are fooled.

EDIT: and i would actually prefer having you leave, its better than still having you play dayz, so im very happy about your decision to leave, it means that that "side" of the community is going bye bye, better DayZ are Arising.

You amaze me with this sir!Do you really think about your opinion,and it is not about being scary it is about reality right!So are you saying that in a city like cherno there are only 20 zombies, so that means only 20 people used to live in there, if you want to talk about real life I can get a list comparring what DayZ does not have and will never be like real life, you seem to be those idiots that might shot a whole school and just kill yourself after you are done.Have fun with your life, and apparently you can see everything,you know the future and probably you can do much more! -.-

Edited by Pumbas