Gadget (DayZ)

This game will fail long term if the PK problem isnt addressed

The only thing that will kill this game is the hacking problem. Or if Rocket gave into carebears like yourself...

The whole point of the game is to invoke heavy emotional responses from the players. Whether that be fear, anger, remorse, pity, sorrow. All of these emotions come from the interactions between the players. It wants you to actually think about the decisions you are making/going to make, and think about the possible repercussions of those decisions.

What you're describing is kind of what I'd hoped the game would be (and what some of the gaming press covering the game implied it would be). But I don't find a PK free-for-all deathmatch to really carry much emotional response. As much as people here like to shout "go back to CoD" at folks, it seems like most of the shouters like to play this game as CoD, just with a longer respawn/re-equip period before you rejoin the fight. I'm not saying that this isn't fun -- I've been playing multiplayer deathmatch games for near 20 years now and it's always been fun -- but it's not really original and certainly not emotionally engaging. To read some of the press on this game, you'd think it presents players with ethical challenges. There are no ethical challenges in a deathmatch. You see a player, you shoot a player. End of story. There is nothing to think about and no repercussions to consider.

I had hoped there would be something more here, but there doesn't appear to be. That doesn't mean it's not fun; as I said, deathmatches are fun. But this game could be a lot more than that if the mechanics were there to facilitate and encourage other means of interaction between players and to bring out more of a role playing aspect so that players are actually invested in their character and what he does.

OMGEEE<<< the bullets r like killing me in 1 hittt!!!!!!<@<!<<!

THIS IS UNREALISTIK

The unrealistic part is that when i die and i can have all my gear back in 15 minutes. When you realize this, you understand that anything "realistic" in this game doesn't count anymore.

In real life...

In real life...

In reali life...

...arguments aren't valid anymore, the only true one is: In real life you do not respawn.

• Like 1

i didnt even read the post but the pk "problem" as you put it is part of the game seriously if you dont like dont play it cant get any easier than that but to just come on here and say it will fail is crazy there are alot of people who like the game the way it is not everyone complains

• Like 1

LOL, another person who cannot handle this game. bahahaahahahaha

Whether you like PvP or not (I've not been a fan of most PvP, period), this level of treatment towards a single person is never warranted, and it should make the gaming community utterly ashamed of itself. This is the kind of behavior that justifies the FOX News stereotype of the basement dwelling, antisocial nerd. This is the kind of behavior that makes the Spike VGAs look like the perfect gamer show -- because it's crass, immature, and it sports the emotional depth of a wet paper towel. That's how gamers look when something like this happens.

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't seem to get it (like the OP) -- you have to learn how to play the game ... if you're constantly dying, then you aren't learning from your previous mistakes.

• Like 1

If u make the option where everyone can go into their own server play alone they will everyone will and then join only when they are pimped out and rdy to deal some real firepower to other players why else would u want to risk it if dying is perm. you will take out a lot of what this game is by doing that imo they need to work now on spawns of items cars and such starting wep's and all mele wep's zombie movments and animations and AI and make the game a game without the glitches hacks and buggs. keep up the good work peeps!

The unrealistic part is that when i die and i can have all my gear back in 15 minutes. When you realize this, you understand that anything "realistic" in this game doesn't count anymore.

In real life...

In real life...

In reali life...

...arguments aren't valid anymore, the only true one is: In real life you do not respawn.

You need to understand that there are gaming mechanics that have to circumvent the "realism" standard or the game fundamentally wouldn't work.

Of course people have to respawn or nobody would play, buy a game, die, and be done with it.

The realism is that you don't just respawn, you start over.

Like it or not ARMA was aimed at realism, so yes it is a valid argument and no, it's not a valid counter argument when you use in out of context.

stop whinning. if you dont like pvp go away we dont want you here

Your flaming isn't needed, I for one don't like the PVP aspect but I accept its part of the game and keeps me on my toes, However I do have to agree with the OP that if everyone is hostile it does take way the mystery of will I be able to team up with this person or will he just try to kill me.

PVE would be fun to play for a chill night where I just want to be lazy, but if it's not an option I'll just continue to do what needs to be done. If I'm not on voice with you, I'm going to shoot on sight. I can't afford to take chances with you. I generally try to avoid other players if I can, but confrontation will always be the same end result. One of us is going to die. I don't know you therefor I can't trust you. IMO, this isn't too different than PVE, only the AI isn't scripted. It's still artificial intelligence though. If it were real intelligence it would be doing the same thing I do, trying to avoid unnecessary contact. Sorry bandits, this wasn't meant for you. You're game play is centered around confrontation.

What you're describing is kind of what I'd hoped the game would be (and what some of the gaming press covering the game implied it would be). But I don't find a PK free-for-all deathmatch to really carry much emotional response. As much as people here like to shout "go back to CoD" at folks, it seems like most of the shouters like to play this game as CoD, just with a longer respawn/re-equip period before you rejoin the fight. I'm not saying that this isn't fun -- I've been playing multiplayer deathmatch games for near 20 years now and it's always been fun -- but it's not really original and certainly not emotionally engaging. To read some of the press on this game, you'd think it presents players with ethical challenges. There are no ethical challenges in a deathmatch. You see a player, you shoot a player. End of story. There is nothing to think about and no repercussions to consider.

I had hoped there would be something more here, but there doesn't appear to be. That doesn't mean it's not fun; as I said, deathmatches are fun. But this game could be a lot more than that if the mechanics were there to facilitate and encourage other means of interaction between players and to bring out more of a role playing aspect so that players are actually invested in their character and what he does.

It all comes down to the player. If you don't lose yourself and just see it as a "game" it will be just that, just another game. But it's so much more than that.

This is the only game I've ever played that I have actually felt bad about killing people. The only game where I've actually thought about the consequences of my actions. The only game where I have thought about how my actions would affect others actions and so on.

That, to me, is a god-damned beautiful thing. I feel sorry for people that are unable to understand the simple facts/goals of this experiment.

• Like 1

I enjoy the survial and scavange style of the game but its gotta have pvp the zombies are annoying / terrible scripted and for me in a lawless world most folk would kill each other for there cans of beans . Also there is .. well at the moment at least not real point in killing zombies unless there actually gonna kill you .

Whether you like PvP or not (I've not been a fan of most PvP, period), this level of treatment towards a single person is never warranted, and it should make the gaming community utterly ashamed of itself. This is the kind of behavior that justifies the FOX News stereotype of the basement dwelling, antisocial nerd. This is the kind of behavior that makes the Spike VGAs look like the perfect gamer show -- because it's crass, immature, and it sports the emotional depth of a wet paper towel. That's how gamers look when something like this happens.

And your constructive critism starts where?

Read through every post before YOU decide to single out someone and bash them. Someone made a thread with their opinion. They didn't have to make the thread. Now, they are getting responses. Chill out, Captn America, something tells me the originator of this thread will survive the DayZ ahead.

• Like 1

Oh god, just have them add in the server option for teams, Bandits vs Survivors so that we can get rid of the QQ already. :P

are you one of the geared dudes I just killed at NWAF?

either way you're bad if you want strictly PvE....no challenge = boring

I said I wouldnt post, but to be honest its hard not to after reading some of the replies.

Comments from some about carebears and sims etc - you made me chuckle at least, thanks =) People as always miss the point. PvP in this game is far from fair! Your comment for example, no PvP means no challenge which = boring, yes, I agree! What I dont agree with about this game is playing for 30 hours, surviving many different problems (players and zombies), and then in a tent somewhere (I dont even know where I was), I pop head out, look left - nothing there, look right, nothing there, bam. instantly dropped from 12,000 blood to 3,000 blood and unconcious - how is that fair after 30 hours of gameplay when ive played like a paranoid person, checking in every direction even when moving a between bushes in the middle of nowhere? Which leads me to my point, this game is ALL about PvP, the zombies may as well be removed. I like many were attracted to the idea of an mmo style zombie survival game, what I didnt realise is that it had deteriorated (due to human nature?) into a death match over 240 square km map - counter strike is better imo, at least I know I will spawn with weapons and not have to spent 10+ hours collecting them each spawn - boy counter strike would be popular like that =)

I am going back on what I said - just to annoy a few of the people that think they are so good at this game. I will basically start doing what everyone else does and kill anyone I can find on site - had I done that previously I would have notched up a good 10 or so kills of people I previously let walk past me, but now my tactics will be to shoot them from behind, because thats apparently what this game is all about. The devs may as well shrink the map down to 100m square and call it death match with a few zombies! That would sure save people having to explore for 10, 20 or more hours to get kit and then just loose it all to an unseen enemy.

Don't get me wrong, I think the PvP element is part of what makes this game, or is it a simulator? The way the player killing is going its forcing people like me to play it in a non sociable way - ie. to just go on a constant PK spree! Why explore the whole map for kit etc when you can just run to the nearest town, camp in a doorway, blow the head of the first person that walks past? If we all did that no one would have any kit to collect off the dead bodies to start with?

Anyway, I will go against how I normally play these kinds of games - ie, sociable, helping people, healing people, etc etc (my carebear side I guess ;) ), and destroy other peoples games like they've done to mine. I knew I would die to a player at some point, and I could have lived with it if I had any chance of fighting, or trying to flee but that doesnt seem to be the case with this game. One minute you are there - bang, now your not, start again, learn to play differently, get trolled on the forum for making logical suggestions, then join the trolls in the player killing.

Incidentally, I keep hearing a lot of trolling with comments like 'you are one of a minority'. That may well be the case but ive got 4 people in my steam list thinking about playing this game, ive known them all for many years, many offline. They may get the game but I absolutely guarantee they will be in the same boat as me. The people I play with like coop experiences with optional PvP. It's clearly a zombie survival game that has turned into a player survival game.

Oh and one more thing, officially supporting a LAN mode or none hive internet mode is totally possible and very easy to implement (as per a few other comments on here). Its up to the developers ultimately. I would hope they can see beyond the death match that it is and provide one of those modes at some point in future.

You dont get attached to the kit you collect, you get attached to the invested 10, 20, 30 or more hours of gameplay, to be ended instantly without any opportunity of a defense. If you play in a group I guess this becomes a lot easier, I guess I wouldnt be so annoyed if I was in a group because it makes it hard for 1 person to take on a team, which reduces player killing imo. But if we follow the logic of what people are saying in here, that would be the wrong way to play - coop I mean. What you guys are saying is that I should get a team of 10 or more and just raid servers killing anyone on site - because thats the game.

This game is meant to illicit raw emotion.

If you have been playing for weeks, have been killed and hate losing your stuff, wish there were a more PvE aspect, etc...

That is the emotional response you are having. You are deciding to stop playing, or deciding to kill on site now instead of even trying to communicate. That is what this game as caused you to do. It's your decision, but don't shun the responsibility of your choice.

We are seeing many just go on killing sprees. We see a general "distrust" between people and less and less willing to reach out, instead opting for their ultimate survival by making the other dead.

This is the exact kind of thing the developers were looking for. Something real.

Now, where do you decide to go from here? Do you keep trying to do the right thing, in spite of everything else? Or do you go down the path of murder and deciet? The choice is yours.

• Like 2

your getting the idea, if you wanna play this game you have to be ruthless and yes they should take out the zombies as they arent good for anything. If you took away the zombie theme and the fact it is suppose to be post apocalyptic people would still play this game exactly the same.

I hate how people keep saying that there is a problem or that the community is killing itself. Personally I think there should be more PvP and conflict, because nothing gets my blood running like spotting another player and knowing that if I make the wrong move he could see me, and will attempt to kill me for my gear. Nothing adds more of a risk vs. reward element to the game. I very very rarely shoot first and have only been a bandit in two of my lives and I still love this. If everybody simply worked together and didn't kill eachother it would be incredibly difficult to die in this game and take away from the whole goal of survival.

I don't understand how people play this game and say it's frustrating to die by another player's hands after investing 30 hours into the game. This is a survival game, did you honestly not expect to die when the game is an attempt to make that very aspect difficult??? If you've been alive for over 8 hours ingame, chances are you have military-grade loot and are unable to be killed by zombies, so do people really just want to continue playing with no threat to their character?

Spoilers:

I know this isn't a great example and isn't really the same scenario of infected/zombies but in the show Walking Dead for example, anyone not in the main characters company is considered a threat and they capture and attempt to torture a kid simply because he poses a potential threat. That kid's group would have killed Rick's, but Rick shot first, that's how it goes. I consider the whole metaphor of Rick's survivor group my squad ingame, we hop into mumble and play in a coordinated fashion, and if a threat approaches we eliminate it, or attempt to.

This game is meant to illicit raw emotion.

If you have been playing for weeks, have been killed and hate losing your stuff, wish there were a more PvE aspect, etc...

That is the emotional response you are having. You are deciding to stop playing, or deciding to kill on site now instead of even trying to communicate. That is what this game as caused you to do. It's your decision, but don't shun the responsibility of your choice.

We are seeing many just go on killing sprees. We see a general "distrust" between people and less and less willing to reach out, instead opting for their ultimate survival by making the other dead.

This is the exact kind of thing the developers were looking for. Something real.

Now, where do you decide to go from here? Do you keep trying to do the right thing, in spite of everything else? Or do you go down the path of murder and deciet? The choice is yours.

LOL, that's the best reply to any post ive seen on these forums. I take my hat off to you. If I am honest, I can't just shoot people in the back, because I couldnt do to others what they they've done to me. This is my dilema - have they created a game that only PK'ers feel comfortable playing? People who try to excersise morals in this game fail ultimately...

This game will fail long term if the PK problem isnt addressed

What a bold statement

I won't be replying to this thread, it's my final post - ive only been here a few weeks and it was fun but wanted to leave my parting views I will keep an eye on DayZ patches and hope that it's worth trying again at some point in future. This is bound to attract all the usual trolling and fan boy posts etc, I couldnt care less, I just want to get an opinion across.

The game itself is great, its an amazing concept. The problem is the players themselves have ruined this in the short time Ive played. Nearly every player ive come across is hostile and thats not why some people want to play it. Moving forward this game needs to allow 'private' server play minus hive support, OR allow none PK servers, OR reduce weapon damage a lot. The fainting mechanic is also a pain the @@@ if you've been shot once and cannot recover because theres simply no time to recover - you end up F4'ing and if your blood is low from the hit you likely wont recover - it may as well be a one shot kill game. This will get flamed because I know so many people just play to kill players, and they love it! There in lies the problem, if players like killing players, great, leave them to each other on a server. But when some players like to play solo or in groups, just focussed on zombies, surviving, and the environment, they should be able to do so without being annoyed by other players. The concept of anything goes is quite interesting initially but soon becomes an annoyance, certainly for the people ive spoken to outside of the game. They want to do 'co op' survival elements of this game but after spending dozens of hours surviving and getting resource and weapons etc, to be shot in the back by someone camping an area, knowing you've effectively got to start the whole thing again is fine a few times but then it becomes frustrating because all you are doing is recollecting the same stuff everytime and as a result you then shoot anyone on contact - which is where we are now. If I logged into a public server now, I would be a PK'r as well, because I feel like every person out there is just greedy and wants to kill to avoid having to collect their own loot.

Three times now ive got kitted up to the max and played the game 'my way', avoiding all player contact because they are all out to kill players instead of survive against zombies. I realise thats what people seem to like, good luck to them, but I want to avoid playing against them. PvP has always been one of those options in games, you either PvE or PvP but you should always have an option to play on a server where you dont get grief players and people that are simply out to destroy your game. Whilst I was away from players the game was awesome and would have been fun with my friends that ive been trying to convince to get the game, but after my experience and knowing what my friends are like they will get just as ******** off as I have being PK'd every 2 minutes.

I am now trying to work out how to run a local server to play away from the hive, it looks like a pain in the **** to setup as it uses mysql etc, surely there must be a proper official way that lan / internet none hive could be supported in future?

Anyway, enjoy the game, I look forward to its future but wont be playing on any public servers any more. If this does get read by one of the dev team, please consider what people like myself have said - give us a way to play without the interferance of player killers.

your an idiot, i rarely get Pked, even when i get killed by hackers and have to regear. you just aren't smart on how you play..

dayz will die if

HACKERS are not fixed... kid you not 20 different servers in last few days, couldn't play more than an hour before seeing some sign of hacking, spawned guns, cars, jets, helos, invis people killing me, getting teleported, seeing fucking speedrunners... ect ect.