Gadget (DayZ)

This game will fail long term if the PK problem isnt addressed

PvP in this game is far from fair! how is that fair after 30 hours of gameplay when ive played like a paranoid person, checking in every direction even when moving a between bushes in the middle of nowhere?

in direct response to this, you have found out one of the early goals for the design of dayz:

" But that's what this is, it is brutal, it is cruel. This is not fair. Maybe you will hate this game. Maybe you already do. It is an unforgiving environment with no structure. It is up to you to decide what to do next."

http://dayzmod.com/f...__440#entry6898

and that's why it's gotten so much attention. this is why so many people have been impacted by it. this is why so many people play it even in its unpolished and glitchy state. because death comes swiftly, easily, and frequently. every second you stave it off is fantastic. i regret that you were unaware of this before you started playing, and instead expected more of an mmo coop type zombie game.

Don't get me wrong, I think the PvP element is part of what makes this game, or is it a simulator?

authentic antigame experiment designed to invoke emotions in players (with frustration high on the list), not simulator.

Edited by p1n34l
  • Like 3

Acquiring the gear you need is not the part of the game you have to concern yourself with. If you do come back to this post and read this give it another chance, it is only in early stages of development. Study the map. Bolta, the airfield and the towers in the army camp along the southern cost is a great destination for fresh spawn. Search stores for a tent. Get matches, axe and a knife and hide out in the bush near something you can loot. Squirrel away some goods, remember where it is, then go out live a little. Try just booking it around grab some gear and go ape shit on other players, relive some butt hurt. You always have another life to live after zomies pick your eyes out. Find a clan, make one. I miss you and want you to love us again...oh god pleeese whyyy :'(

your an idiot, i rarely get Pked, even when i get killed by hackers and have to regear. you just aren't smart on how you play..

dayz will die if

HACKERS are not fixed... kid you not 20 different servers in last few days, couldn't play more than an hour before seeing some sign of hacking, spawned guns, cars, jets, helos, invis people killing me, getting teleported, seeing fucking speedrunners... ect ect.

Why are there so many abusive players on here? This is quite possibly one of the worst forums ive ever had the misfortune to post on. If you dont post 'fan boy' statements you get stomped on by an average of 20 different forum trolls per hour. It's possible I was killed by a hacker, I honestly dont know, what I do know is that I can play the game very well thankyou, my previous life I had survived for a whole week, spending 5 to 7 hours per day and that included returning fire to 3 other players that attacked me first and evading dozens of other players. But when you get shot from something you dont see all in the space of 1.5 seconds of popping your head around a corner, it becomes more than a little frustrating.

I really wish people would read posts properly before trolling - learn to troll properly please, or just dont bother.

Edited by Gadget

I still don't understand...there is PvE and PvP, I honestly don't see what the problem is here.

Right now the game is pretty cool for what it is but it could be a lot better without having to completely change it to something else. It's still very early development so I'm not worried but I'd like to be able to do a bit more later on and have a bit more gameplay content as well.

@Gadget, Would it be better if there were teams then? would you, being killed even with that implement bother you? Is it just because you loose all your items after you die and you want something like a "bank" feature where you can store your loot and no one can touch it but you? would you just play the game if it were just zombies? are you wanting safe zones and NPC guards?

Personally, I'm amazed, for a mod that has attracted over 800k players thus far. Not even MMO's with millions of dollars of investment and full development team reaches that much. Even EVE after all these years it has been online only has, what, like 300k or so players?

Edited by jay.pis

in direct response to this, you have found out one of the early goals for the design of dayz:

" But that's what this is, it is brutal, it is cruel. This is not fair. Maybe you will hate this game. Maybe you already do. It is an unforgiving environment with no structure. It is up to you to decide what to do next."

http://dayzmod.com/f...__440#entry6898

and that's why it's gotten so much attention. this is why so many people have been impacted by it. this is why so many people play it even in its unpolished and glitchy state. because death comes swiftly, easily, and frequently. every second you stave it off is fantastic. i regret that you were unaware of this before you started playing, and instead expected more of an mmo coop type zombie game.

I see what you are saying, similar to that post I praised a page back. I guess I have to adjust how I play the game, and either just not give a crap about dying, or follow suit and make other peoples lives hell. Seems a shame as I had hoped that it would be a balance of good vs bad players - seems to be just bad players lol.

You can play the game however you want and that's the beauty of it. If you like hiding from other players and letting them go past then that's ok. If you feel as though shooting on sight is better then go ahead. There are no limitations to the way you choose to play and that's how we end up with the true Bandits who steal yourself without killing you and the medics who trek across the map to save strangers lives. It's up to you how you play. So yes, killing on sight might increase your odds of survival but may also weigh on your conscience. If you think that there's only one way to play the game then you'd be sorely mistaken. And thinking that the game is supposed to be fair or balanced is silly. It's not and it never will be. It's silly to call the game a deathmatch as well but that's a whole other can of beans I don't wish to argue right now.

Simply put, play however you want, do what makes you happy just like others are doing. I enjoy killing other players at contested locations just as much as I enjoy scaring the crap out of hatchet weilding fresh spawns in Cherno and Electro before letting them go just as much as I enjoy aiding those in need. I guess I'm really all over the place and see the value and fun in all sorts of play styles. Changes will be made and options for play will be added that will eventually lower the number of those simply murdering without rhyme or reason. Furthermore there is no player-killing problem and the game isn't likely to fail longterm, I could see myself playing this game as is for months on end and as Rocket has said before, the game doesn't need a million people to stay strong and survive, it just needs those of us that enjoy it for what it is and not some silly concept some individuals concot in their own heads of what it should be and what it isn't.

Edited by Killlg

Read through every post before YOU decide to single out someone and bash them.

You mean like you just did?

Actually his observation has some merit. While DayZ won't die, it will certainly degrade over time. The voice of DayZ (its loudest community) states that if you think KoS is unrealistic, boring, bland, or makes this game CoD with zombies, that you need to go hang yourself because obviously you're some carebear that the world doesn't want or need, going so far as to threaten them with horriffic acts that paint the "hardcore" as the KKK of gamers. While ALL games face this issue, most have moderators that will step up and tell people to mature up or shut up.

Yeah, that needs to change. While PvP is fundamental, telling people to go die in a fire is not. THAT is why I personally agree to a point that DayZ will degrade. Not die, but degrade, just as it is right now. It's degrading to watch people turn a thought provoking mod into just another generic FPS. They spew hyperbole that it's either CoD or L4D, when really a little intelligence and humanity would go a long way because, for once, gamers have the power to do so. There IS a middle ground, but apparently it's not possible when players are left to themselves. Rocket has proven that much, at least, that gamers are incapable of doing anything other than shoot and moan like toddlers because they've grown up being spoon fed.

• Like 1

I still don't understand...there is PvE and PvP, I honestly don't see what the problem is here.

Right now the game is pretty cool for what it is but it could be a lot better without having to completely change it to something else. It's still very early development so I'm not worried but I'd like to be able to do a bit more later on and have a bit more gameplay content as well.

@Gadget, Would it be better if there were teams then? would you, being killed even with that implement bother you? Is it just because you loose all your items after you die and you want something like a "bank" feature where you can store your loot and no one can touch it but you? would you just play the game if it were just zombies? are you wanting safe zones and NPC guards?

And yet another person trying to troll. Please troll elsewhere.

Anyway, I will go against how I normally play these kinds of games - ie, sociable, helping people, healing people, etc etc (my carebear side I guess ;) ), and destroy other peoples games like they've done to mine.

Oh and one more thing, officially supporting a LAN mode or none hive internet mode is totally possible and very easy to implement (as per a few other comments on here). Its up to the developers ultimately. I would hope they can see beyond the death match that it is and provide one of those modes at some point in future.

on first point, i also regret that you will go against your nature. there are alternatives to succumbing to the wanton slaughter. i'll update this with some links in the hopes of you preserving your natural inclinations in game.

links:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/32964-want-to-make-a-difference-in-dayz/

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/37592-join-up-with-the-abb-anti-bandit-brigade/#entry357167

there's also freeside trading co and the various medic organizations, but i have no idea if they're looking for more people or not.

on the second point, lan, non hive, single player, may all come eventually, but right now they are not the focus as far as i know. i cannot speak to how difficult it would be to implement as i'm not behind the curtain, but i would caution against assuming it's easy, especially when you're trying to keep a mod you don't get paid for running when it has 200k+ players online in the last 24 hours. that alone is a full time job, let alone coding gameplay elements.

Edited by p1n34l
  • Like 1

And yet another person trying to troll. Please troll elsewhere.

Please explain...how am I trolling again? I asked you some pretty valid questions.

Nice try though. :thumbsup: I'd give you my beans but well...you know I kinda ate them but you can have the tin can :emptycan:

Edited by jay.pis

To be honest the biggest problem in any situation stuch as Zombies taking over the world, care bear or just a nuclear wasteland are the surviving humans. Human nature is one of greed and the need to be the best, sorry to say in the current world there are more "immorale" people than "morale", human nature is and well always be the biggest issue on this planet.... Watch the Road, Book of Eli and even Zombieland ( lol bad example but does have the Human Nature issue in it)

So in term of this game, I find it appealing that you as a "survivers" can choose to befreind or kill any player you come across, How the problem here is thats just like in any pvp game you have the idiots you go about it wrong, spawn camping, kill all etc etc.... the thing is the OP has a point however his point goes against the game, if this was real ppl would be killing each other for a tin of food, however because its a game ppl will happily just pvp to ruin other players lives.

Solution: have a means to activate a pvp toon, so pve and pvp player play the same server but if you shoot at player who wats pve and have clicked the box pve the bullet do nothing, if the box is un ticked all is fair in love and war . Its a crap solution but one that could make some ppls gaming experience "better", and still allow for a mix and a player to face the morale delima to befriend or kill.. whats sad is how you ppl just shoot down the idea with out actually thinking it over or trying to make middle ground.

P.S sorry for spelling and long post

Edited by Karlash

Please explain...how am I trolling again? I asked you some pretty valid questions.

Nice try though. :thumbsup: I'd give you my beans but well...you know I kinda ate them but you can have the tin can :emptycan:

Sorry if I misunderstood, the whole idea of 'safe areas' and 'banks' just seemed a little too sarcastic to me. I've got no problem with the PvP side except that its unforgiving. ie. no matter how good you are at the game you will die to someone spawning behind you, someone camping etc etc. That's the biggest part of my gripe.

I've accepted what a few of the smarter people have pointed out on here - that it is more of a social experiment. I agree its a social experiment that has shown that high percentage of the player base would rather kill on site than work cooperatively. My suggestions here to improve the game are to lower weapon damage, or allow people to run a server that is NOT connected to the hive.

Sorry if I misunderstood, the whole idea of 'safe areas' and 'banks' just seemed a little too sarcastic to me. I've got no problem with the PvP side except that its unforgiving. ie. no matter how good you are at the game you will die to someone spawning behind you, someone camping etc etc. That's the biggest part of my gripe.

I've accepted what a few of the smarter people have pointed out on here - that it is more of a social experiment. I agree its a social experiment that has shown that high percentage of the player base would rather kill on site than work cooperatively. My suggestions here to improve the game are to lower weapon damage, or allow people to run a server that is NOT connected to the hive.

People can and do run servers that are not connected to the hive. Some of them are advertised as such while I notice that some are not. Player interaction will always be unforgiving as will the way in which you perish. My biggest gripe would have to be players ability to server hop and spawn in locations that you may know would otherwise be secure and of course the posiblity of someone logging out of combat only to relog after taking up a superior position on another server. Luckily it's still in Alpha and these problems are being worked on.
  • Like 1

i hope rocket see's this! but this game is finished. first its to bugy people dont want to play a game were you put your items in a tent for safe keeping and then to come back and for the tent to be gone(deleted due to some bug).

and all you hardcore players that say yeh i love this because i can run around killing everyone and taking there stuff and do what i want. most players dont want to spend hours running around a 225 km 2 open world to collect stuff and die to some wanker that shoots on sight( which i have found myself turning into due to the fact that, yeh this game makes you angry) any way this is besides the point half this community that want there hand held and dont mind being a carebear are just going to jump over to the new game called WAR Z(http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/07/19/the-war-z-announced-zombie-survival-shooter-mmo-with-strong-parallels-to-day-z/) as they are very soon going to get sick of all you hardcore killers out there who want to make the game harder. and we will all leave you to it, you wont have anyone to shoot but each other and when you get sick of getting shot at. you will probally leave aswell.

i for one am not coming back to this mod till bugs are fixed and dean has sorted out all you hardcore players that are gona get some by killing freshly spawned nooblets. cause lets face it i dont want to play with people that are setup in there little clans and love killing people for no reason. this game is boring atm, it was fun at the start but now it has lost my interest due bugs and the people that play it such as all you people on this forum i just wonder what's happening to society today we live in a world full of know it all's and this forum proves that.

anyway, Im no more right then any other person on this forum just expressing my opinion like everyone else and i wont be coming back to see who replied to my post as far as im not intrested.

just want a fun game to play THAT IS ALL!

• Like 1

You mean like you just did?

Were you referring to... I just did read all the posts or like I just did call someone else out and bash them? Either way, I did both haha. I've been "trolling" this thread since this morning so I've just read all the replies throughout the day.

Each life I have in this game I think of it as a story in itself. If my noob face gets blown off 30 hours into a life and I don't know where it came from, who's bad is that? I'm the one with no face, aren't I? An exciting end to an amazing story? I'll agree to that.

What got me to play this game was the article posted on Ars. Despite all the roaming bandits and trigger-happy fools out there, the article was focusing on Dr. Wasteland and the "White List." There we have a group of people making the daily choice to risk themselves to help others while everyone else is ready and eager to put a bullet in your skull. THOSE people and THOSE choices are the balancing force to the "PK Issue". If you don't like all the killing going on the best way to help is to START HEALING. A little love wouldn't hurt!

I've only been playing a few days and just finally got to the middle of the map. I have yet to even make it to a hospital but my plan is to learn more about this game and maybe, just maybe, try and do some good deeds and at least be known to those actually on the White List as someone to trust. THAT would be a pretty awesome feeling, knowing that there are others out there doing right and who trust me to do the same. Talk about emotional response!

If I turn medic, though, don't think I'm letting my finger off the trigger. I'm no good to anyone dead.

• Like 1

just want a fun game to play THAT IS ALL!

Too bad this isn't a game but an anti-game.

Quite a lot of negativity in this thread, I think pvp games just attract a lot of d-bags in general. Most of them say things like 'well go away then' and 'back to COD' and anyone who overuses QQ is an idiot. most people I end up blocking actually, thank god.

Fairly well made OP. people don't seem to realise that DayZ is a totally different game experience to many other zombie games and they shouldn't even try and compare.

The problem is actually options and people like options, when the game is final I'm sure there will be a lot if not then nvm i'll send you a pm with a present.

• Like 1

The PK/sandbox survival world is the defining aspect of this game so I doubt it will never change. It just doesn't sound like this is your style of game. Try Left4Dead?

This community is composed of at least 60% assholes.

Instead of telling everyone to piss off, why don't people argue and explain.

OP makes valid points. People who say "gtfo carebear, go play X game I'm insinuating is for panzies" are am enigma

Because the fact is... inflicting massive frustration on people is apparently what draws these people to the game...

Eventually all that will be left is the people who want to do nothing more than shoot people, simply because they can.

Diversity is what makes the game any fun at this point. Options. Not an unofficial, non-verbal agreement that everyone in every situation immediately try to kill each other.

You realize people saying "avoid people" are just as bad. Yes, please do avoid every other person in a multiplayer game. That makes complete sense.

You ideally want a certain ratio or balance to players.

Edited by skyter
  • Like 3

As a relatively new player (only played for a few days) the magority of Players I've run across have been friendly and wanting to work together to try and survive. I even had a dude in a ghillie suit, armed to the teeth, sneak up on me and another guy in Cherno to help us find supplies and he never once turned on us. Of course there is going to be players who are out to get you, but isn't that what makes this game so great? It puts the psycological aspect of fear and uncertainty in a video game! I can't even think of another game that gives me a feeling like that.

Just remember that not everyone is a monster... but a few are :) Keep your stick on the ice, cowboy

Too bad this isn't a game but an anti-game.

Makes no sense. It's a game.

The point of a game is to be fun. If this were really trying to not be fun, then hackers would not be considered an issue, and you would randomly die from time to time and lose all your stuff, or the 'anti-game' would be locked at 5 FPS, or you could only turn to the right.

It's a game. It's got a different set of rules, and it bills itself as 'edgy,' but it's a game.

As a relatively new player (only played for a few days) the magority of Players I've run across have been friendly and wanting to work together to try and survive. I even had a dude in a ghillie suit, armed to the teeth, sneak up on me and another guy in Cherno to help us find supplies and he never once turned on us. Of course there is going to be players who are out to get you, but isn't that what makes this game so great? It puts the psycological aspect of fear and uncertainty in a video game! I can't even think of another game that gives me a feeling like that.

Just remember that not everyone is a monster... but a few are :) Keep your stick on the ice, cowboy

you must not of had a gun.

I have met 1 player who did not shoot at me when he had the chance. Every other player, and there have been many, either opened fire immediately or claimed a friendly status and then shot at me shortly thereafter. There is no aspect of uncertainty when I play. I automatically assume every player is hostile and shoot them. There is no strong incentive to do otherwise.