Sign in to follow this  
Ludar149

MAKE NIGHT TIME MORE LIGHT

I agree that the night is just too dark in the game. When the moon is shining you can see, lets say, 10-15% compared to the sunlight. The moon does reflect light and you can see little, but you can see something. In DayZ and maybe even in arma2, the night is just pitch black and you can see nothing.

Thats annoying and very unrealistic. That should be changed ASAP.

Have you ever played with the moon out in-game? For me it does illuminate the ground quite a bit.

Only people that don't mind the night time are the people that get to play the game any hour of the day they want so they get the variation. I don't get to play this game until 7-8 at night, so it's pretty much dark whenever I can play the game. I get on a server which is completely pitch black and I just quit it until I find a server in the daylight because for me the pitch black is just not an enjoyable way to play the game EVERY time I play it.

I forget what the game actually looks like in daylight.

I don't care how realistic it is, at least some light would be nice. Obviously the insides of buildings will be pitch black save for windows emitting a bit of moon light, and the trees in the woods would block some light too. but save the realism here, make it playable for the masses rather than just making it nice for the people that can play it 24 hours a day. We're not all unemployed.

Only people that don't mind the night time are the people that get to play the game any hour of the day they want so they get the variation. I don't get to play this game until 7-8 at night, so it's pretty much dark whenever I can play the game. I get on a server which is completely pitch black and I just quit it until I find a server in the daylight because for me the pitch black is just not an enjoyable way to play the game EVERY time I play it.

I forget what the game actually looks like in daylight.

I don't care how realistic it is, at least some light would be nice. Obviously the insides of buildings will be pitch black save for windows emitting a bit of moon light, and the trees in the woods would block some light too. but save the realism here, make it playable for the masses rather than just making it nice for the people that can play it 24 hours a day. We're not all unemployed.

But what is the point of having a night cycle then, just cosmetics? I mean, the night is not just annoying, it is possible to loot an entire heli with zombies walking just a meter infront of you without getting caught... also you are most likely not detected by other players too. At least not that easily... there are also ways to see at nighttime so why are you complaining? Ah, I see, you are one working son of a gun and other players are just unemployed mofos....... come on, there are so many servers with different time zones to choose from, stop bitchin. ;)

Edited by Antipr0duct

My server is GMT +2 and I work during the day so I end up playing mostly night, and I've ended up prefering it to daylight!

Personal preference maybe but at the end of the day the issue is:

It's not TOO DARK at night.

It's BUGGY for some users who get pitch black nothing at night instead of darkness.

True at the very VERY darkest part of night it's really dark, but that's as should be.

I remember crossing the most pitiful excuse for a spit of the Sahara at night as a shortcut to get from our house to the Hotel we were going to eat at and it was SURREAL.

I LITTERALLY could not see my hand in front of my face, just the lights of the city on the Horizon.

I remember thinking this is what spacemen must feel like in the void of space =p

So yes, in real life it can be that dark in the open at night.

We were walking like Basil out of Fawlty Towers doing a Nazi impression to stop ourselves tripping over every bump and little hump of sand.

This was with a clear night sky and a city not 3 clicks distant, imagine what it would be like in an Apocolypse =p

I've also spent entire nights in fields in the UK and it's never gotten to dark to see at least SOMETHING from dusk till dawn, how much of that is down to light pollution I can't say but they were very different experiences =p

Edited by Cannon

Has anyone thought to think about that your eye adjust to seeing at night after awhile? I play paintball games at night and you might not see as well as people with NVGs but you can still see enough to not walk into anything. Your eyes adjust everything looks like gray to me at night or black and white.

True, mostly peripheral though :)

That would be interesting to see as a game dynamic! at night your central FOV is black and blury but your peripheral is clearer!!

You know we should really have screen shots for this though I'm sure I've seen them before.

I'll take a photo tonight of my server at night from my Client where it's perfectly clear.

I'll get my friend to take the exact same picture on the same server from the same spot with the same GFX settings.

You'll see the difference and why some people complain =p

If I thought night was MEANT to be the way my friend see's it, I'd complain too!

Edited by Cannon

I agree somewhat. I've been in some pretty rural places including the middle of the jungle in South America and there is actually a surprising amount of light generated by the moon and the stars. I remember one day when it felt close to day, the full moon was so bright.

Besides truly star studded skies would add to aesthetic value of the game.

Edited by Conor88

Hopefully it will be more dynamic :)

Would make it interesting to see weather effect visability at night.

Also as server time can effect the day/night cycle why not have server date effect the moon cycle and visability ^_^

I have no idea how involved the Arma2 engine in with Weather/Light interaction but it's something that would be great to see down the line.

The other night I busted off a pushbike and died in the middle of a dark night. I was fully geared at the time so the race was on to get back to my body before it decided to despawn. Two minutes into the run back (Kamenka to Soznovka) it started raining hard. This was the first time in the game I have had any difficulty seeing at night but with a little help from the sound of buzzing flies I found my corpse and headed home to get warm and pick up a spare ghillie suit.

If your having problems with the night then your hardware is letting you down or you just suck at the game, either way you cant ask the devs to nerf night for you. Plenty of servers have offset night cycle for those who cant hack it but I personally embrace the cloak of night with fewer players and less sensitive zeds. Its been stated plenty of times that the ARMA engine wasn't designed for night play without NVG so get used to it until its a stand alone game, until then stop being afraid of the dark.

Looks much nicer, but night is night. Making it too easy to see at night would surely render NVG useless.

Well here in the cold north of sweden its bright 24/7 during summer(and pitch ass 100m under the surface black winter time),so its possible. But i enjoy the night time, makes me crap myself everytime someone starts shooting. Adds more exitement too the game.

So conclusion: get nvg, use road flares or change server if the dark of night scares you.

• Like 2

I just want to be able to see a better outline of things that are closer to me. i want to be able to see an outline of a zombie that is 2 ft infront of me, thats all im asking. other than that night is fine.

Edited by GexAlmighty

guys, it's not DayZ than controls the brightness level, play ArmA 2 scenarios, put it at night time, and you'll see it has the same process as DayZ

For me the night is just fine, it doesn't need to be darker nor lighter, it already depends on cloud cover etc. and i think we even have a constant full moon, meaning it's already lighter more often than it would be IRL...

We take day and night cycles very seriously and critically, i doubt night-time darkness will ever be nerfed from its current state.

Dude how would you not change it .. There is no Moonlighitng.. It is just flat out wrong. real life night is not that dark. You have the moon to give you lighting . Also humans have night vision after 20 mins in the dark. Most can see shapes and outlines in the pitch black. How you have it now is soo fake.

Dude how would you not change it .. There is no Moonlighitng.. It is just flat out wrong. real life night is not that dark. You have the moon to give you lighting . Also humans have night vision after 20 mins in the dark. Most can see shapes and outlines in the pitch black. How you have it now is soo fake.

Buddy if you actually stayed long enough on a night server, you might realize that the moon, like the sun, isn't a static object in the sky. Like the sun, the moon rises and sets on the night sky and it follows a lunar calendar too. At the moment the moon's lit surface is diminisihing towards a new moon. In two weeks time, when a full moon rises, you'll have all the light you need at night, that is as long as the moon is up.

I played for 5 hours last night in the dark.. I never saw the moon once or any real lighting from it. This 5 hours was on 1 server the whole time .

Just hop on a new server when night time comes. Easy. I hate night and don't risk my gear with snipers with NVG. Totally unfair. Can't see sh!t, first time I played this game I thought the game was bugged. They want realism but this night time is far from real.

If you could hold a flashlight and a pistol at the same time maybe but for some reason they think a flashlight takes both hands.

With the brightness and gamma exploit it doesn't need to be nerfed at all.

yeah for my work around that is all I did was turn the gamma up and i was able to see ..

I think as it stands, the issue that comes up is that night time encourages people to switch servers to avoid the massive number of issues that night time brings up for starting characters.

I mean, lets be honest, without a good weapon and night vision goggles, night time becomes a significantly harder experience then day time. And when there is no penalty for switching servers to a day time one (besides perhaps a loss of vehicles should you be so lucky) there is very little reason not to just jump off.

Now, I do like how intense it is, and I approve of taking it seriously, but I see this as an issue that should be looked at.

Agree completely. For those that don't have NV googles, you are at a *HUGE* disadvantage at night from those with NV goggles. If you have NV goggles you pretty much own the map at night (unless someone else with NV goggles takes you out). But you can loot spots pretty damn easily since the zombies can't see you.

What to do? I'm not sure we should increase the brightness of the actual map, but possibly do something about the flaslight. Give it greater 'bleed-off' of the light so it has a larger span. Possible reflections off surfaces. Not sure how far the graphics engine can go or how hard to implement, but I think something needs to be done. I don't play at night because of the NV goggle players. You die so easy and most people who have NV goggles also have silenced weapons.

If flashlight enchancing isn't a real option, then perhaps extra light in the world is the better option. Also, as others have stated allow a handgun to be used WITH the light.

If the game mechanics says you should only be able to play and compete against others for resources at night with NV goggles..well, do nothing.

-D

Edited by daliputka

The current night really is too much of a pitch black contrast, the result is that everyone just bumps up the brightness and gamma every night to actually be able to see anything at all. Just go out on a clear night with a full moon and see the difference compared to a cloudy night. The current settings really need some fixing, because I would actually like to play at night more, but right now the lightning is just sub-par...

tl;dr Light bounces are needed and ToD needs fixing.

Edited by Hulahuga