rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.2.4

Well shoot, I'll have to relocate the tent full of high grade military loot I placed smack dab in the middle of Kamenka. Won't be a safe spot with the respawn button gone.

Why Mr Mahler, isn't it nice to see a contemporary fellow around here.

I believe I have gobbled up all your beans in Kamenka, pardon me much.

You're only the 800th person to ask that... :facepalm:

Sorry, I didnt have 2 hours to read 67 pages of bullshit, thanks for the useful reply though, really keeps down on the 'askingh again' and number of posts.

Anyone have a link to an answer?

Edited by Ving

Sorry, I didnt have 2 hours to read 67 pages of bullshit

You don't need to. You can open Rocket's profile, then click 'find content' in the upper right corner. Everything you can think of has already been asked, and the answers are there. Waiting.

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 1

Sorry, I didnt have 2 hours to read 67 pages of bullshit, thanks for the useful reply though, really keeps down on the 'askingh again' and number of posts.

Anyone have a link to an answer?

[searchInKey]=&userMode=content"]http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=user_activity&search_app=forums&mid=199&sid=006f05f4bd7d415353bb83eb7157a719&search_app_filters[forums][searchInKey]=&userMode=content

ROCKET:

I know the main page doesn't have everything being fixed listed yet, but I haven't gotten done reading all the pages in this thread but will we be seeing a fix for the "soandso was killed" upon logging into the server (you get "killed" immeditly upon login) get sent to debug plains, hit abort -> lobby -> ok -> respawn on beach at closest spawn point to where you were at with all gear and stats? It's not like you're killed by a player but rather, you just die somehow upon login but it's not recorded as an actual death. I mean hey I don't mind visiting the beach but at least send me there when I'm actually killed by zeds/another player lol.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but will this new hive tracking interfere with me finding a decent server Aka one in a Timezone that I like (some don't post it or post the wrong one), doesn't lag, etc?

ROCKET:

I know the main page doesn't have everything being fixed listed yet, but I haven't gotten done reading all the pages in this thread but will we be seeing a fix for the "soandso was killed" upon logging into the server (you get "killed" immeditly upon login) get sent to debug plains, hit abort -> lobby -> ok -> respawn on beach at closest spawn point to where you were at with all gear and stats? It's not like you're killed by a player but rather, you just die somehow upon login but it's not recorded as an actual death. I mean hey I don't mind visiting the beach but at least send me there when I'm actually killed by zeds/another player lol.

This is going to be largely fixed by disabling the respawn button. I see your point, but its going to involve changing the way the server tracks death.

Whilst this sounds fantastic, might I point something out, I don't know if you've thought about it but anyway, here we go.

Will there be strict enforcment(even upto server blacklisting if needed) of admins naming their servers correctly(ie. having the timezone/having a correct timezone in its name)?

You get situations when you join a GMT(or any other tz for that matter) server with in-game time of, let's say for example, 10PM, while in actual GMT timezone the time is earlier than that. Or servers simply not having timezone in their name, in which case, you end up joining to see what's the time and if it doesn't suite you, leaving.

If the system is going to be tracking logons and logoffs, then this would be considered server hopping/alf-f4ing when you really aren't doing any of those.

Hey Rocket, to distract you from telling people that this patch logs disconnects and doesn't ban you;

Our group really loves the clothing in the game. The base ARMA II OA has so many clothes that suit this mod (guarrilla faction clothing etc) I think more varied clothing would add to the game.

How much work is there to implement more clothes into the game? Does it need to be re-rigged for example with extra bone etc that you as coder can't do, but I (as an artist) could be of help. I think the game would benefit from some less prestigious clothing options that offer better camouflage than the bright sleeves of survivor Merc clothing.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but will this new hive tracking interfere with me finding a decent server Aka one in a Timezone that I like (some don't post it or post the wrong one), doesn't lag, etc?

you'll get a perma-ban and charged with a felony

Edited by daze23
  • Like 1

you'll get a perma-ban and charged with a felony

Edited by Comanglia
  • Like 2

Why would you disable the respawn button? I could have made mistake fall down the stairs and broke my legs with no morphine and in this case, I would love to have a respawn button rather than dragging myself 20 kms to find a morphine or a Z/players to finish me off.

Why would you disable the respawn button? I could have made mistake fall down the stairs and broke my legs with no morphine and in this case, I would love to have a respawn button rather than dragging myself 20 kms to find a morphine or a Z/players to finish me off.

OMG read the previous posts before posting the same BS others have already!

By rocket on reddit:

"The main issue is one of performance.

Creating a new character is the single most performance intensive operation the game/central server ever has to do. Each time this happens, it adds at least 0.2 seconds of pause to the server to devote to this task. Take a server with 50 people, you are starting to have real issues. Now imagine it with 100, or 150 people.

So at a base level, having people respawning to get where they want will simply not work. Adding in a "spawn area" is possible but I don't really like the idea.

Also, there is the side benefit of seeing if more consequence to death == change in player behavior. We just don't know, and nobody can accurately speculate, what effect such a change might have.

On the balance of everything, we will try it in closed testing (at least) this week to see what the results are. Then we will discuss, and make a decision.

My plea, is to remember we are experimenting here to try and find exciting new game design solutions to problems, without having to constantly retreat to compromise or the "old" ways of solving these issues.

So I think saying it is a "terrible change" is not the best way to think about it, at worst, it should be "terrible consideration" at which point, feel free to discuss and it will help me avoid the really stupid considerations in favor of options that might be better."

And:

"What if players still glitch in to debug areas?"

Rocket:

"I replied in the thread, detection of this is now in place. Hopefully this will be effective, otherwise there may have to be new ways. If testing throws up issues, I will simply add a prompt to the respawn option. This is more work, and not ideal, but if debug spawns are a problem this will be the solution."

What of players who have issues connecting to servers? Between my friends we're often stuck jumping from server to server as half of them say 'Waiting for Host' or take an impossibly long time to load. Perhaps a reasonable grace period of one minute after connecting to the server before logging the hop? That would prevent anybody from server hopping for loot because they'd have to wait for the loot to spawn.

It may be out of rocket's hands, but the cheats are really starting to overflow.. I frequently watch Twitch streams, and yesterday almost all of the top streamers had some type of interaction with a cheater. One followed a streamer around, spawning stuff on him and trying to convince other streamers / Twitch admins that he (the streamer) was cheating himself.

Another jumped out of a server to avoid cheaters, only to find a server with people flying illegal helicopters around, and some dude in a bus driving straight through objects. He then watched a pair of guys spawn a helicopter right in front of him and fly away..

There were many more instances of cheating, but most of them involved the streamer being warped to and killed. I haven't played much recently, but about two days ago I was playing and had a guy teleport to my friend and kill him; another friend and I ran to the spot and killed the guy, only to immediately die as the cheater teleported to us. He then proceeded to teleport to us on the coast and kill us as we spawned. (***blackship on US 469, I don't have any proof of this, though). On the next server, some guys with hacked items (I presume they were hacked because they had radios) started shooting at us.

I'm really looking forward to the reputation thing on the hive server, but I'm not sure that (enjoying it) will even be possible with these asshats ruining the game. Maybe the mod became too popular for its own good?

On another note, I think factions would be a really good idea for later stages... There's nothing wrong with being solo, but it's not really possible to coordinate raids with random people you meet, so factions would provide another angle to the game. Trading within your own faction and occasionally clashing with the other faction. I understand that most people probably won't like this, though.

Edited by Atlatas

* [NEW] Hive now tracks login/logout (for use with preventing ALT+F4)

so you can find 'players who log off a server immediately upon taking damage' trends and force them to spawn in the middle of the ocean for a week as punishment?

• Like 2

Rocket, before you remove the 'respawn'

There are rocky areas in the black lake(near the NE airfield) where you can fall between the rocks and get stuck.

My friend experienced this once.

you probably should fix that first otherwise people will spam pm you to take them out of there.

@Rocket:

Earlier in the thread you mention potentially making the EU financial crisis even worse single-handedly. Could you please get on this ASAP, as it'll lower the interest rate on my mortgage here in Australia?

Cheers man!

On a slightly less evil note, I'm a bit concerned about some of these changes/proposed changes, but I'll reserve judgement and see how it plays out.

The hackers are an issue, but one I know you're not in a prime position to fix, so I won't hang that on your head, nor will I hang on your head server admins who cheat for themselves or their clanmates. Again, that's another thing that's not your fault and you can't really fix.

Keep up the good work, crash Europe a bit harder, and I'll withhold judgement on the upcoming changes until I've had a good play with them, LIKE THE REST OF YOU OUGHT.

• Like 2