rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.2.4

No offence mate but if your like that guy and have to lobby 3/4 times every 15 minutes, youy shouldnt be playing the game in the first place. Solution would be playing when your not busy ?

I agree this simulation requires a level of time commitment, there are casual flash games for time like this.

@ Rocket Is there anyway to implement a way that if someone logs out on one server an moves to another to get the drop on someone (Like spawning behind them) that when they log back into that 1st server they spawn right where they logged out? I got killed 4 times today by people swapping servers to get to where I was an then spawned into where I was to kill me. Maybe something like if you try an log back into that 1st server within 10mins you will spawn back where you logged out. I'm sure this would eat up lots of memory server side but it would be something I would love!

Edited by FunTimeWithSouls
  • Like 1

@Rocket:

Can we get an audible noise when someone logs in. Like they make a snoring sound or something that is distinct and is audible out to 30 meters or so. This will help prevent people server hopping to shoot you in the ass. The barracks are incredibly dangerous because even after you clear them, there are so many server hoppers that you can get shot in the back frequently.

@ Rocket Is there anyway to implement a way that if someone logs out on one server an moves to another to get the drop on someone (Like spawning behind them) that when they log back into that 1st server they spawn right where they logged out? I got killed 4 times today by people swapping servers to get to where I was an then spawned into where I was to kill me. Maybe something like if you try an log back into that 1st server within 10mins you will spawn back where you logged out. I'm sure this would eat up lots of memory server side but it would be something I would love!

Oh for the love of god, read the thread.

He is working on it. For now there will just be a test logging system, to get data on what those assholes are doing.

After quite a few data is collected, (by the way you guys play, a few days) then there will be time to test solutions to this.

@FunTimeWithSoul: I don't think that it woud eat lots of memory you just need to save the position and i think that are not more than 5 MB per player.

@Rocket:

Can we get an audible noise when someone logs in. Like they make a snoring sound or something that is distinct and is audible out to 30 meters or so. This will help prevent people server hopping to shoot you in the ass. The barracks are incredibly dangerous because even after you clear them, there are so many server hoppers that you can get shot in the back frequently.

And if it was just a player who just logged in the first time? Would he be killed as well without even knowing where from?

They are trying to see what can be done. But this idea is quite bad for imersion in my opinion.

Besides it was already discussed earlier in the thread. please read the thread.

You can no longer respawn, as it says in the changelog.

Suicide may be possible with a firearm, I am just checking to see if it will cause me to end up on CNN or some random politician somewhere will end up blaming me for a string of suicides. I'd rather not be sued, be on CNN, or responsible for people killing themselves.

wussy.

You should have given your two cents to someone so they could read the thread for you.....

Oh yeah...

And I would like to request of rocket:

Can we just set it up so that servers are all forced to Veteran? WHy have 3rd person and crosshairs and name tags and ranges and all of these things?

People can wear their training wheels in Arma.

I thought this was supposed to be a challenging mod?

All Veteran servers. It needs to happen.

You expect people to read through a 50+ page thread if? What don't you just provide the answer if you know?!

And removing the 3rd person would be the worst decision rocket could make. People like 3rd person. Just look how full the 3rd person servers are compared to 1st.

Nobody cares if you think it's more realistic and immersive, so don't try and for your personal preferences on the rest of us.

• Like 1

Oh for the love of god, read the thread.

He is working on it. For now there will just be a test logging system, to get data on what those assholes are doing.

After quite a few data is collected, (by the way you guys play, a few days) then there will be time to test solutions to this.

I'm sorry I didn't read thru 54 pages of questions...... And from what I have seen everything has been talking about Alt+F4. I'm talking someone sees where you're at finds cover logs out the normal way logs to different server then spawns back in to kill you. I've seen people wait for up to 10mins to do this so from what I've seen people talking about in here I'm sure that the "Fix" would not catch this since they logged for a period of time.

You expect people to read through a 50+ page thread if? What don't you just provide the answer if you know?!

And removing the 3rd person would be the worst decision rocket could make. People like 3rd person. Just look how full the 3rd person servers are compared to 1st.

Nobody cares if you think it's more realistic and immersive, so don't try and for your personal preferences on the rest of us.

Fair enough. But the other stuff has to go. :)

• Like 1

@ Codeoverflow Just because you live in your moms basement an read every page of this thread does not give you the right to Attack people when they ask a question that was asked on page 30 something.... Get a life kid

• Like 1

How about removing the 3 second location pop up when you spawn? If the point is washing up on the shore and not knowing where you are, this becomes sort of pointless.

I would like to see...

Day 1

Time: Noon / Midday / Dusk

Health: Random effects? Maybe you lost blood, hungry, thirsty or cold. Can give you a first objective?

Call me crazy but I like the not knowing anything and the fear that can incoporate. Also it gets you to really know the map.

Just my$.02

• Like 1

You're right. We should stop sharing our personal preferences. No more feedback for you, dev team!

3rd person is awful.

Might as well use aim assist and keep name tags and range on. Hell, show everyone on the map, too while you're at it! I'm sure that would fill some servers.

3rd person ruins player vs player firefights worse than crosshairs.

• Like 1

Lots of people seem to forget that this mod does not have the same infrastructure beneath it like an MMOG. The mod mimics some features of an MMO, like saving character data and basic itemization. This is why there are many issues that seem to be lacking, but are in fact to be expected as long as DayZ is just a mod for a normal multiplayer game.

ARMA 2 lacks the architecture underneath that many MMOGs have. Neither the server, nor the client are capable of many basic things that most MMOGs are founded upon. I believe Rocket is trying his best to implement as many features as possible, but as long as DayZ is "just" a mod, some basics can not change. No one doubts the movability of the base game and DayZ as well as many other prior mods have proven this.

Imho some basic borders of what can be done have already been reached, especially regarding security, scalability and persistence. Maybe some models of houses can be swapped or new items / stats be introduced, but after that the possibilities what can currently be done have been exhausted.

Nevertheless I think finding out what basically works in an experimental mod environment is the best route to redoing it as a standalone game in the future, which I am very much looking forward to.

• Like 1

I'm sorry I didn't read thru 54 pages of questions...... And from what I have seen everything has been talking about Alt+F4. I'm talking someone sees where you're at finds cover logs out the normal way logs to different server then spawns back in to kill you. I've seen people wait for up to 10mins to do this so from what I've seen people talking about in here I'm sure that the "Fix" would not catch this since they logged for a period of time.

You don't need to read 54 pages, just read Rocket's posts from his profile. There, all your answers.

• Like 2

Yeah ok the server hopping needs to be sorted, was shot and killed by a server hopper in US797 (Player name : Dylan)

Nothing worse than shooting someone, they ALT+F4 then move behind you on another server, spawn back and kill you, takes the fun out the game. Hopefully the Hive will detect this kind of player behaviour and punish them properly, thankfully i got my SAW and other stuff back thanks to my friends guarding my body... though in doing so the server hopper did the same thing to them, though hiding their bodies...

Bar that i think the latest update has made the game much easier to roam about in, Z's are far less stressed at the slightest rustle in a bush though i will add some of the weapon handling needs slight tweeking, no way should my AK be spot on accurate at 300m, i mean IRL the SA80 A2 is only accurate to that range and no more with a SUSAT sight attachment (loved that weapon system). but apart from that the game is coming along well and im enjoying it more and more,

Finally any chance of more vehicles... ive been playing for about 2 months now and only found one ATV.... and my feet hurt haha!!

will this new update finally fix infected seeing me through walls and even buildings? i cant walk along a wall without a zombie somehow knowing im there and chasing me, usually by walking directly through a wall or door. thats the most annoying

You're right. We should stop sharing our personal preferences. No more feedback for you, dev team!

3rd person is awful.

Might as well use aim assist and keep name tags and range on. Hell, show everyone on the map, too while you're at it! I'm sure that would fill some servers.

They need to remove extreme angles in 3dp freelook. I admit to sometimes using it to position myself, because as we all know Arma's collision detection can be hazardous to your skeletal health.

I am experimenting with adding back the 5 second "alive in world" mechanic that we had before. This should also be there, in addition to the tracking of login/logout.

My ideas on this:

The tracking of login and logout is a good idea but would catch only the most persistent offenders like server farmers. I don't think that it would stop players disconnecting while in combat, or disconnecting to stop the body being looted. I think most players would adapt their playing style and only disconnect to avoid death, a bit like a 'get out of jail free' card to be used occasionally. To stop that behaviour you need a deterrent that works immediately and in all cases.

I think that a delay before leaving a server is a great idea, but I don't that 5 seconds is long enough. Maybe it would allow a killing shot in PvP, but not enough time to loot the body. I would suggest a 30 second delay where your character stays in game, effectively frozen before disappearing would work better. I would also disable logouts while unconscious, if possible technically.

This would introduce an element of fear when logging out, even if not in the midst of combat, and would encourage players to seek a safe hideout before disconnecting.

Every time you logout you would have to make sure you are in a location safe from both players and roaming zombies... a lot can happen in 30 seconds.

3rd person is awful.

Now you're just being silly but you are entitled to your opinion. Just remember that just because you think it's awful, doesn't make it a fact.

We could argue all day about why each view is more realistic but at the end of the day, it's down to preferences. I'm happy Day z currently gives us both the option to play how we want.

Edited by Rek Seven

Huge, huge fan of the DayZ mod. Excited for every update and happy to watch the mod become continually successful. Keep up the great work, Rocket.

Now you're just being silly but you are entitled to your opinion. Just remember that just because you think it's awful, doesn't make it a fact.

We could argue all day about why each view is more realistic but at the end of the day, it's down to preferences. I'm happy Day z currently gives us both the option to play how we want.

I personally do not care about the realism of it. I choose to play on First Person Only servers because it's more tense. I do not have the same overview of my surroundings and I like that uncertainty. If I play for score or competition I would obviously want to play in 3rd but I play DayZ for the immersion and experience. :)

• Like 3

No, Rocket said he MIGHT implement a way to pick a spot to spawn, he never said it WOULD be implemented. The change of removing respawn was to test how the game played without being able to along with helping performance, not to test how a "pick another spawn point" system would play. Its alpha, features are supposed to be added, features are supposed to be removed to test how it plays with functions on/off. Removing respawn is one of those things, lets see how it goes a month from now.

To add to this comment, the respawn was never intended to be used the way it is. Therefore, I need to confirm if the original design idea was a good one, or a terrible one. For this we actually need to test it and not base it on opinions here. Because clearly, there are people who think it is a good idea and those who think it is terrible. The test may never make it out of closed testing so you might not even experience it.

While I've given my opinions on why spawn selection ANd/OR group spawning should be an option, I have to say that I quite understand some of the reasoning behind taking the "Respawn" option out of the game; in order to test server performance, as well as stopping the majority of people from being able to continually respawn over and over the moment they spawn in.

The only thing, that I, and others, have said... is that people WILL still continually respawn by way of zombie death. So you definitely won't stop that aspect of the game. But given it will stop the ability to do it the very moment you get into the game, it should definitely help server load/performance a bit. This is why I understand if that is the prime reason for taking it out.

But, as I've made my point abundantly clear in my own previous posts, I will openly admit that my friends and I will still be "zombie-death respawning" in order to get CLOSER to each other if we all happen to be spawning fresh together. And this will simply be so that we can get spawn points that are relatively close to each other; one city away is what we like to shoot for as the furthest distance. And, for us, it has absolutely nothing to do with being next to a major town in order to gear up easier... it is simply for cutting down on some INITIAL travel time in the very beginning when we all spawn anew. We would actually all be completely fine if we ALL spawned down near Kemenka... just as long as we are relatively close to each other. That is all we hope for.

Pretty damn good idea. Okay, I like it. If it detects you in debug zone, or you have a fracture, the respawn option will be enabled. We'll try that out. It is posts like this that are the reason we tollerate the BS.

I completely agree with the option you are referring to here (conditional respawning), what a fantastic idea for those who happen to get stuck somewhere w/ broken limbs, etc!

Edited by Chameleon