rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.2.4

Although i agree with the logout fix its going to create some angry people including me when facing hackers that teleport you. Basicly you will die now instead of ALT+F4 and saving your character.

Times i encountered teleport hacks today is 4 times on different servers. So with this "fix" i will definetaly loose my character soon.

yes it is

wtf is it then huh?

i dont care wat tht post says.

get over yaself

It's a survival simulation. Can you really not take 3 seconds and spell check your posts? You are obviously still in puberty.

Rocket, please, any thoughts about respawning in the debug plains with no ability to either respawn or find zombies to kill you short of going afk for 45 minutes or so until you starve/die of thirst?

I'm totally cool with trying no respawns for ideal spawn points, but not so long as I have even a .05% chance of spawning in the debug plains. If you are going to insist on trying this without ensuring I can't spawn in the debug plains, can I at least get a good picture of you to print out to throw darts at until I die of thirst and respawn? That's not unreasonable, right?

This thread is like a cage :D We're the animals and rocket is the instructor...

anyways

Please tents please :( Fix tents please! Have them save when the server is told to shut down, have them save when stuff is put in or taken out, have them actually save! Actually remove them when they are removed (this would also fix the stupid respawning wire/bear-traps thing as well).

Freeside can go on for this long: _ without working tents.

Yeah, tents gotta be fixed ASAP

This tent is not even mine, but every time I go to NEAF I visit it, and every time there are fresh sandbags, I've created this little fort for in a little bit over a week. Server EU10 btw

rcrc.jpg

Edited by Mourek

Hacking is a separate issue.

We don't comment on security matters for what i hope are extremely obvious reasons.

• Like 2

After reading all 26 pages, I realized that you actually take the time to read and reply to our responses, which I really like.

I would like to ask one question though. Around when could we expect for the infected to quit jerking around so much making it so hard to kill them. I understand that they are much faster and different, but with the enhanced speed there is so many bugs. It makes it so hard to get a clean shot on them especially since you have less than a second to fire after you turn around from running. I'm not sure if I'm explaining this well but I'm sure you must have noticed it aswell. Try it out yourself!

Pull out your pistol (inb4 that's what she said), get chased by a zed and have them catch up, then turn around, take aim, and try to fire at the head. It gets kind of frustrating and that is the reason behind the low number of zed kills for all the different players. It's because most of us choose to lose them through some trees/buildings oppose to going through the frustrating process of turning around and shooting them while they are munching on your eye balls and losing so much blood to just one zed.

Hate to mention the "C" word but..........CoD manages to get away with the whole suicide thing by dumbing it down a little. (While in last stand, you get the option to take the easy way out) Effectively suicide its just people dont realize because its not so blunt as to say "Blow your own brains out with the makarov".

Rocket, please explain one simple thing:

To fix alt-f4 there are two options:

1. Make 15-20 seconds logout timer AND if you altf4 your character stays for 15-20 sec in the game. Thats how it done in all MMO. Its perfect.

2. Collect huge amount of data from altf4 players. Study the data. Program some fancy deterministic recursive algorithm to find out who abuses the altf4. Start warning people. Start banning people. Realize that the fancy deterministic recursive algorithm has a crucial bug. Rewrite whole fancy deterministic recursive algorithm. Test again. Goto 2.

So why whould you NOT take the option one, but instead take the option two ? I see no logic here.

Edited by Roboserg
  • Like 2

Other things that need fixing:

* Zombies running and attacking through walls!

* Loot spawns are confusiing. 10 alice packs found, 3 Czech pouches and 1 Czech Backback? 0 Assult Backpacks.

Can you please ban all the goats? They keep alt+f4'ing on my when I try to hunt them down. Those evil sonofabitches need to be btfo.

Don't even get me started on the cows..

edit: ooo I like this thing I saw on reddit: http://www.reddit.co...creen_idea_pic/

Ermagerd, that death screen.

• Like 1

1. Make 15-20 seconds logout timer AND if you altf4 your character stays for 15-20 sec in the game.

2. Collect huge amount of data from altf4 players. Study the data. Program some fancy deterministic recursive algorithm to find out who abuses the altf4. Start warning people. Start banning people. Realize that the fancy deterministic recursive algorithm has a crucial bug. Rewrite whole fancy deterministic recursive algorithm. Test again etc.

So why whould you NOT take the option one, but instead take the option two ? I see no logic here.

Isn't alt+f4 a windows command shortcut? Not a game shortcut so logging it would be difficult. That's probably why. Logout timers aren't for games like this too many random variables to take into account. The character staying in game has been tried before, it failed so an alternative approach is being attempted.

1. Make 15-20 seconds logout timer AND if you altf4 your character stays for 15-20 sec in the game. Thats how it done in all MMO. Its perfect.

2. Collect huge amount of data from altf4 players. Study the data. Program some fancy deterministic recursive algorithm to find out who abuses the altf4. Start warning people. Start banning people. Realize that the fancy deterministic recursive algorithm has a crucial bug. Rewrite whole fancy deterministic recursive algorithm. Test again etc.

Um, like I said, I am doing that. 5 seconds though because 20 seconds causes major performance issues. 5 seconds was caused before and we had major doppelganger isssues. Check back my previous replies I outline it. It is not in the changelog yet because it is not completed.

• Like 2

2. Collect huge amount of data from altf4 players. Study the data. Program some fancy deterministic recursive algorithm to find out who abuses the altf4. Start warning people. Start banning people. Realize that the fancy deterministic recursive algorithm has a crucial bug. Rewrite whole fancy deterministic recursive algorithm. Test again. Goto 2.

This is not World of Warcraft. If you die while logging out of World of Warcraft, you lose nothing. I doubt you see logic on any level.

Poor "hive reputation", which will come to include many factors - including alt-f4 behavior, will result in a database ban. This means your playerID will not be accepted on DayZ servers, and you cannot play DayZ.

That's an interesting approach and certainly useful for a variety of things outside of just alt-f4. How do you distinguish between a "emergency" disconnect and a "I'm quitting for now" disconnect? If you track only the frequency of successful connections, does this not just mean that players will just have to wait a bit after saving themselves via a disconnect to safely log back in and preserve their database reputation?

Also can it distinguish between getting kicked for weird errors, like for example, battle eye kicking you? I know I've had odd cases, particularly when hackers are on the server (speculation) where I start getting kicked constantly for "battle eye not responding" multiple times in a row, but then it will be fine again for hours.

In other words, how do you prevent such a system from either being gamed, or not being deterministic enough. Is this approach a result of limitations in the engine preventing the implementation of a logoff timer (player stays in game for 5-10 mins after disconnecting)? (I know you mentioned you still plan on doing this but for a much reduced time, I'm referring to the associated duplication issues.)

Edited by Covert Kitty

How about reading at least all posts from Rocket, if not the entire thread? He's already adding back the timer (mentioned 5 seconds but it could change) to logout... And the DC problem isn't just avoiding deaths, there is more things like server hopping to search for "easy loot".

You must be one patient man Rocket, I don't know if I could manage come to the forums if I was developing a game.

Edit: Ops, too late. :P

Edited by Numi

They will leave a trail, once we have the algorithms sorted and can issue warnings/punishment... those who continue to do it will receive database level bans,

There must be exceptions to this for example people transferring their tents/vehicle loots from server to server. My group currently has 2 home servers as we host and pay for them both. Surely we shouldn't be penalized for transferring stuff to our noob friends from server to server?

After reading all 26 pages, I realized that you actually take the time to read and reply to our responses, which I really like.

I would like to ask one question though. Around when could we expect for the infected to quit jerking around so much making it so hard to kill them. I understand that they are much faster and different, but with the enhanced speed there is so many bugs. It makes it so hard to get a clean shot on them especially since you have less than a second to fire after you turn around from running. I'm not sure if I'm explaining this well but I'm sure you must have noticed it aswell. Try it out yourself!

Pull out your pistol (inb4 that's what she said), get chased by a zed and have them catch up, then turn around, take aim, and try to fire at the head. It gets kind of frustrating and that is the reason behind the low number of zed kills for all the different players. It's because most of us choose to lose them through some trees/buildings oppose to going through the frustrating process of turning around and shooting them while they are munching on your eye balls and losing so much blood to just one zed.

Most of this will have to be dealt with standalone, without which it would affect ArmA2 because we'd need to change default pathfinding mechanics.

• Like 2

hmmm looks interesting.

Can't say huge amounts of people have CDed on me, but will certainly test and report any findings i see :)

Good to see the sound bug for zed fixed, they have been quiet of late which makes me bored.

Rocket, is there any word on the tents? Like is this even a priority right now or are you guys working on it or anything of that nature?

As well as the zombie walking through walls glitch, as these are my two biggest worries in the game atm, other than hackers.

Rocket, is there any word on the tents? Like is this even a priority right now or are you guys working on it or anything of that nature?

As well as the zombie walking through walls glitch, as these are my two biggest worries in the game atm, other than hackers.

He said tents are bugged because of database numbers or something and he is looking at it.

Rocket, I dont know if you talked about it already, what game engine you planning to use for the standalone?

if its not a secret :)

This is not World of Warcraft. If you die while logging out of World of Warcraft, you lose nothing. I doubt you see logic on any level.

Listen kid, thats how its done in Diablo 3 when you play HC. There you loose tens of hours of game play. Could be even 100h. And noone bitches around.

Not all are like you, who QQ because he lost his makarow.

Edited by Roboserg