rocket

Pending Update: Build 1.7.2.4

Some interesting changes. Some interesting debate. Great Mod! Unlike anything I have ever played!

Currently noob, but gaining experience...

you guys are lucky there is more then 1 or 2 spawn points to begin with. remember tfc? or tribes? we could go to that...

Rocket - can you please explain why the ArmA2 singleplayer mode will be disabled when DayZ is loaded?

I have

It is because DayZ's anti-hacking mechanisms remove every classname that is not used by DayZ. This entirely brakes singleplayer and BI and us are sick of getting thousands of support tickets about it. That figure is not an exaggeration.

• Like 2

You should have given your two cents to someone so they could read the thread for you.....

Oh yeah...

And I would like to request of rocket:

Can we just set it up so that servers are all forced to Veteran? WHy have 3rd person and crosshairs and name tags and ranges and all of these things?

People can wear their training wheels in Arma.

I thought this was supposed to be a challenging mod?

All Veteran servers. It needs to happen.

That is the beauty of PC gaming, if you don't like settings on X server, jump to Y that is it.

• Like 1

No offence mate but if your like that guy and have to lobby 3/4 times every 15 minutes, youy shouldnt be playing the game in the first place. Solution would be playing when your not busy ?

I agree I am talking about 2-4 maby 5 times an hour. if I was having to do it 3-5 every 15 minutes I would get off just to save myself the stress.

Tell us more about these unconfirmed performance issues. I've heard rumors that object clean up is bugged, apparently the strings of code are not being wiped and just build up and cause peoples fps to slowly drop when spending extended periods of time in places like cherno and electro.

Is there any intent to try increase performance in places like electro and cherno, is there any known issues about object clean-up?

Enlighten me!

Rocket

i have been playing since almost the start (v.1.5). I am really fond of all the thing that you do, i really love the mod and all it's possibilities, i'm someone who most of the time plays as a lone wolf, i saw all the interviews that you did and i share your opinion on 90% of the things you say. However i know that this is an alpha and it does have it's glitches and bugs. I just wanted to say how a good job you and your crew are doing. I know the mod has some issues and somtimes it's hard for you to develop the game and at the same time manage this forum. Keep up the good work i hope you evolve this game into somthing one of a kind and so realistic ppl will shit bricks when they play it. All of my best wishes to you and your team :)

greetz from Poland

• Like 1

I have

It is because DayZ's anti-hacking mechanisms remove every classname that is not used by DayZ. This entirely brakes singleplayer and BI and us are sick of getting thousands of support tickets about it. That figure is not an exaggeration.

To add to this, anyone that has @DayZ loaded right now, can go into singleplayer, scenarios and load "US Army test" and you will quickly realise every gun and vehicle not available in DayZ, will be missing from the map. This happens in all singleplayer missions.

I am experimenting with adding back the 5 second "alive in world" mechanic that we had before. This should also be there, in addition to the tracking of login/logout.

that is how eve online delt with d/c - alt4 lamers who tried gimp there way out combat, there ships stayed in space for 15 minutes before warping off to safe spot

Fully agree. Spawn where you spawn, and go from there. I fail to see the corrolation between the 'Respawn' button being available and the 'ability' to play with your friends.... besides the obvious carebearness of wanting to spawn as close as possible after maaannnyyyy respawns.

I cant see the problem with this unless ...

All your bothered about is getting to the tent to get all your good stuff back again, so either your m8s have grabbed your stuff and kept it for you or you have been duping and have copies of all the good stuff ( and im giving you the benefit of the doubt that its the first one).

Its got nothing to do with your m8s at all, when i get killed ill spawn and die a few times till i get a foothold and then ill kit up on the way back to our camp.

Often Ill arrive there and not really need anything other than a gun from a helicopter if i get the chance.

Imho the holding stuff etc doesn't do it for me anymore as i can get anything from the game as i go.

I still say we should have and immediate with no warning wipe of all tents vehicles and guns and start again.

My that would cause some fun on the forums :P

Querry on how the Log in and Log out options will effect Someone like me, Who lives and works at the same place when I have a few spare mins I log in and could be playing for 1hour to 5mins before I get called away then returning to play some more but I could get called away 5 or more times in 3 hours. Just thought I would add this as I wouldn't like my charater to be classed as a someone who's Alt+F4ing, to avoid death for example.

What I've actually said:

When you login, a record will be made in a database, somewhere in the United States, recording that your character has logged into that server. When you logout (abort) the same, and when you disconnect (crash/alt+f4) also logged.

What it became:

This thread.

• Like 4

Wow, too many replies, too little time. :P

Edited by Cyanyde

How about turning alt-f4'ers bright pink?

Or how about constant alt-f4'ers who blatanly do it in PVP be turned into Zombies when they respawn. Then having to last a set punishment time before getting their char back ....

Also if they get killed by any survivors(on their punishment time) they have a voice over saying "nasty Alt4" When a survivor checks the dead Z and study's body it will say His/Her name.

If that persons name comes up to many times Then a ban can come into effect...

What I've actually said:

When you login, a record will be made in a database, somewhere in the United States, recording that your character has logged into that server. When you logout (abort) the same, and when you disconnect (crash/alt+f4) also logged.

What it became:

This thread.

Quoting for repeating the same thing for the 101st time :)

Keep it up rocket.

Some people need to read the pages from 1-53, before posting

Hey rocket, I know many games have mechanisms to tell if the player log out is a disconnect by user, a ping timeout, or game error code for crashing and such (source I believe displays an message when a player leaves). I find it strange that the Arma engine wouldn't have something similar. If you could differentiate a ping timeout / game error from a player disconnect then you may have a lot more to work with. I've never looked at the internals of Arma and how everything works, but even if it wasn't possible on the engine side I see no reason why it wouldn't be possible on the server side (except for maybe load and log size?). This could also help you guys identify some common errors easily. Also a possibility is that if the game sees that a player is loosing connection (the chain symbol) and they log off during that period it could be ignored as an actual alt-f4.

Just some ideas.

I cant see the problem with this unless ...

All your bothered about is getting to the tent to get all your good stuff back again, so either your m8s have grabbed your stuff and kept it for you or you have been duping and have copies of all the good stuff ( and im giving you the benefit of the doubt that its the first one).

Its got nothing to do with your m8s at all, when i get killed ill spawn and die a few times till i get a foothold and then ill kit up on the way back to our camp.

Often Ill arrive there and not really need anything other than a gun from a helicopter if i get the chance.

Imho the holding stuff etc doesn't do it for me anymore as i can get anything from the game as i go.

I still say we should have and immediate with no warning wipe of all tents vehicles and guns and start again.

My that would cause some fun on the forums :P

Right. But even if your intentions have nothing to do with grouping up with friends, you are still exploiting the respawn ability to simply get a better vantage point for your travels to your tent. It honestly does not take that long to get anywhere. I understand some people have time limitations, because they are not able to invest hours per day for travel time... but oh wait.. that's part of the mod.

By the time you have respawned 2-5 times to get that close spawn, you could be across the train tracks on a hill, well on your way to your little camp site with all the essentials ;)

I am interested to see how this change plays out.

Edited by Dokrane

What I've actually said:

What it became:

This thread.

pretty funny how that works eh?

I don't know if you ever played Chinese Whisper, but this reminds me of that game.

You get a bunch of people and line them up.

The first person whispers something to the person next to them: "Dean wears yellow socks"

By the time the message reaches the other end of the line it has become: "Dean's yellow socks are ruining DayZ"

Not to mention, if you change something that people make use of, they will make it into something personal against them.

I could be up in arms about single player being removed, but I fortunately understand *why* it's being removed, so I accept it has to happen. I could QQ all over the forums about how I can't play SP anymore.. but what's the point?

Finally, you can answer people's concerns in this thread until your face turns blue.. the replies get flooded by all the people whining about their personal reasons for disconnecting, and all the rational explanations in the world get pushed off the page in favour of complaints about the exact issue you addressed on the previous page.

And this is compounded by the fact that nobody bothers reading the first post, or any of the pages before the one they land on..

Can't win.

Edited by Cyanyde

Please remove the "Murders" and "Bandits Killed" from the Debug Monitor as these ENCOURAGE murder. Some people are likely to see this as a "Score" for deathmatching. Also perhaps you should remove the text "Debug Monitor" too, I don't see why it needs to be there and it'd be awfully neater.

Right. But even if your intentions have nothing to do with grouping up with friends, you are still exploiting the respawn ability to simply get a better vantage point for your travels to your tent. It honestly does not take that long to get anywhere. I understand some people have time limitations, because they are not able to invest hours per day for travel time... but oh wait.. that's part of the mod.

By the time you have respawned 2-5 times to get that close spawn, you could be across the train tracks on a hill, well on your way to your little camp site with all the essentials ;)

I am interested to see how this change plays out.

Btw by the deaths i was refering to the normal die a few times cos your hasty stuff not respawning

Another idea is to piggyback on something you have already created, for example if a player is in shock (which should be easier to get) and they log off, have the server identify if they if they were in shock when they logged out, and if yes have that logs against their hive reputation. I think that wouldn't actually be to hard to implement. Sure it doesn't fix it completely, but paired with a log off timer it would allow people who have hit their target to actually finish them.

Btw by the deaths i was refering to the normal die a few times cos your hasty stuff not respawning

Gotcha! Respect to you, then, sir.

If only it were the case for most....

Removing the respawn is a great idea when you forget about the convenience factor of choosing a spawn location. When I spawn now, I have no option to pick a better location, I don't think "Hey I'll spawn near electro, quickly loot the houses & supermarket and then run north". The thought process that goes through my head is, "I've spawned, where is the closest food/water source, where do I go from here?", It creates what I'd like to call "The adventure factor" instead of me having a pre-meditated plan based on how efficiently I can gear up.

plus, pressing respawn a million times is just as bad as alt-f4 when it comes to the affect they have on taking away from the experience of DayZ.

• Like 4

Ugh, so i have to fiddle about with settings and what not if I fancy playing normal ArmA2? What is the point of this exactly?

All you have to do is disable dayz, and not "fiddle" as you say.

Again, this is a mod, it alters thebase game. If you want to play the base game, then you disable the mod. It's not that difficult to understand.

Can you ban a free downloadable mod?

The problem is not the mod.

The problem is DayZ will be turned into a more independant product. This would lead to bans for this product in several countries, and that is not really the main issue either.

The main issue as I see it, is the "bad press", and legal problems that Rocket would have to face, in a bunch of countries, because of some people with mental problems (not mentally challenged, there is a big difference) that keep going untreated and undetected that decide to create all kinds of havok, some of wich are still very present in the minds of a few of you guys.

I'm pretty sure Rocket does not want to spend half of his life, trying to dodge "bullets" that will surely be fired against a game so popular as DayZ.

So to sum up your answer, the mod and the present is not the issue, the future of the project and Rocket is.

SWAT TEAMS WILL NOT DESCEND FROM THE CEILING AND HEADSHOT YOU WHEN YOU PRESS ALT-F4.

LOGGING OUT TO ATTEND TO A SICK RELATIVE, WHO IS ON FIRE, AND BEING MUGGED WILL NOT CAUSE YOU TO BE PERMA-BANNED.

A sick relative being mugged while on fire...? Where the hell do you live?? Chernarus? :P

BTW Rocket just a thought.

I think you guys should be pushing for the server updates harder. I know it's a server provider issue, but a lot of connects and disconnects, hive queries for the players status (condition and items), and also quite a few bugs I believe, come from all the fragmentation in the server part.

Also, updating servers would automatically ensure that clients would also need to update, or would not be able to join the game.

Of course it's something not for next week but for the future, but something along the lines of an auto updater that would be supplied to the server providers, could be part of the solution of the server sided fragmentation, that would make a chain reaction to the client side as well and they also would need to update.

And with all the server hopping trying to find a server with the right version, maybe a few (probably minimal) gains in performance on the hive side, on all the status querying I mentioned above.

I'm sure you know all the problems that Android has experienced due to heavy fragmentation, and a lot of devices using old versions even a couple of years out of date.

Edited by CodeOverflow