_Gunslinger_

Bandits, Paranoids and Scumbags

So you went and did a dumb thing like going to Cherno and got your face blown off. You're likely pretty mad about it. But before you start waving your anti-PvP flag, take some time to think about what kind of person gave you a lead donation.

Bandits:

Naturally, when the world goes to hell, there are going to be people surviving by scrounging supplies, and people surviving by taking other people's shit. This is the staple crutch for any pro-pvp player. But how many times have you been killed by some desperado who actually needed your beans? Not often, I'd wager. Genuine Bandits pick their targets carefully, stalking the outskirts of high-yield areas, looking for that lone player with a backpack stuffed with loot. Don't get mad when a Bandit kills you, he wants your shiny M4, which you're quite capable of fighting back with. Likewise, don't keep petitioning the devs to punish Bandits. They're the real deal and a great challenge.

Paranoids:

Any large survivor group inevitably becomes a gang of Paranoids. If you're unarmed they'll largely leave you alone (hell, might even invite you to join them) unless you do something really stupid like try and rummage through their backpack. However, if you're brandishing anything more threatening than a flashlight, you're getting lit the fuck up. Because they've bled and crawled and likely died a dozen times to get their gear, and they're not going to lose it to some Leroy Jenkins with a Makarov. Most of the DayZ populace are Paranoids caught in a vicious cycle, perpetuated by...

Scumbags:

The archetypal CoD-kiddie. The player everybody loathes and screams about, but probably rarely encounters. These guys live fast and hard, killing simply because they can. Stick them in a busy town, put an Enfield in their hands and they're all set.The more ambitious ones get their hands on NVG's and a DMR. As far as they're concerned, everybody's free game, and they probably won't even bother to check your gear, unless you had a bigger gun. They don't live long enough to require food or water, and require only marginal investment compared to the potential payoffs, to say nothing of the ego-wank. They bypass 90% of the actual game and feed off your dismay and anger. These are the guys you want to punish, the people the community need to band together as one and drive out. Don't lump them with Bandits; we love those guys and without them the game wouldn't be nearly as exciting. Unfortunately in the current game there is no consequence to murdering someone save some potential zombie complications and drawing the attention of other players (which for the Scumbag is a good thing). So Paranoids have less reason not to shoot on sight, and Scumbags have free reign.

What can we do about it?

There needs to be some kind of consequence to murder, in some kind of sweet spot that is detrimental to Scumbags and Paranoids, without outright punishing Bandits. Skin morphing was removed for this reason; Bandits suffered because they were the only ones who survived long enough to rack up a decent murder tally; Scumbags get blown away three kills into their spree and start from scratch. Persistent data on murders across lives doesn't work either, because a long-lived Bandit with a glorious record would be indistinguishable from a Scumbag on a hot streak, and means Bandits can't turn over a new leaf when they die. The only thing I can think of is some kind of variable that determines how threatening you are. The basic idea is that players duking it out with machine guns and sniper rifles aren't going to be effected because they're on equal par, but a Scumbag with an Enfield blowing away unarmed fresh spawns is going to start suffering two or three executions in. Higher zombie spawns, health detriments, any kind of mechanic could work based around that variable. Heck, take it the other way and reward players who don't attack others worse-off than them with improved spawn percentages if you want.

• Like 15

I just fell foul of some brit northern monkey who i helped cure his broken leg in stary supermarket only for him to shoot me in the back as we headed for the tents 2 minutes later.... Complete bellend? yes. Am i mad? No. Most of the fun is starting off again :)

Dude i completely agree with you this post is briliant! hey buddy above ^ we dont need all these people who his doesnt happen to posts. becouse there will be more people who agree but dont speak out than people who dissagree and do.

gd post :D

D.

Dude i completely agree with you this post is briliant! hey buddy above ^ we dont need all these people who his doesnt happen to posts. becouse there will be more people who agree but dont speak out than people who dissagree and do.

gd post :D

D.

Mm... Nah.

-MONSTER

rocket does not want to punish a play style. If you want consequences, kill the bandits. Don't have the game do everything for you.

This is one of my favorite flavors of PvP punishment appeals.

"Murder is awesome but only a very specific and arbitrarily chosen variety!"

They don't live long enough to require food or water, and require only marginal investment compared to the potential payoffs

If they're not living long enough to require food and water, then they're not getting anywhere in the game that has big potential payoffs.

If you have a lot of really good gear to lose to these people and you're hanging around close enough to the coast for them to get their hands on you, then it's your own fault and they deserve your gear.

to say nothing of the ego-wank

Except you did say something of it. You had to mention it. As if it matters. As if they're somehow lesser people because they take pride in besting other people at the game. Like that's not allowed?

These are the guys you want to punish

No, they're fucking not.

YOU are the guys I want to punish.

I want to take every person who has ever suggested a punishment for player vs. player on the forums and put a white flag on their backpack in the game. Then I want to hunt each and every one of you motherfuckers down, dip the tip of my M249 in a can of half-eaten beans, jam the end down your blubbering throat and pull the trigger so the last thing you taste before 30 rounds of LMG ammo burst out the back of your head is beans. Delicious, bloody beans.

• Like 8

I liked the idea of a bandit skin, but it needs to be worked on. I'm not sure bandits should be 'punished' more than letting legit players know they are murdering assholes at a distance. If i could distinguish between asshole and a normal player you bet your hat i'd sniper any bandit I came across.

If they're not living long enough to require food and water, then they're not getting anywhere in the game that has big potential payoffs.

If you have a lot of really good gear to lose to these people and you're hanging around close enough to the coast for them to get their hands on you, then it's your own fault and they deserve your gear.

Except you did say something of it. You had to mention it. As if it matters. As if they're somehow lesser people because they take pride in besting other people at the game. Like that's not allowed?

No, they're fucking not.

I want to take every person who has ever suggested a punishment for player vs. player on the forums and put a white flag on their backpack in the game. Then I want to hunt each and every one of you motherfuckers down, dip the tip of my M249 in a can of half-eaten beans, jam the end down your blubbering throat and pull the trigger so the last thing you taste before 30 rounds of LMG ammo burst out the back of your head is beans. Delicious, bloody beans.

Watch out everyone, we got an internet badass over here!

Edited by Cheeseburger

I don't shoot the unarmed.

I keep my eyes on them until they get a weapon, then shoot.

If you have an issue with snipers and player killers, then always be on watch. Get thinking that you are always being watched.

I know specific paths through Cherno where snipers would not be able to see me because I became one with the enemy and learned where they can and cannot see. Crawling on roads and the middle of fields is going to get you killed.

Edited by CraftZ49

I play all the play styles I can but when I die, I group up with my clan mates and own one of the two major cities. It's extremely fun and definitely breaks up the monotony of surviving in the wild.

If you go into Cherno or Elektro thinking you're not going to die... YOU SUCK. Seriously. I'm sorry for saying that but there's no reason to go there but to die or to kill. The map is enormous and there is nothing in Elektro or Cherno that you can't find somewhere else. Nothing. Want to know how I know this? Because when I'm not looking to mow down other teams I usually avoid those places and go out and survive. I can run for days and days while gathering supplies. It's easy. Just play smart.

Killing people who are butthurt gear freaks is fun ... You don't need tents full of gear, the biggest backpack and guns to survive.

All the necessary gear, for survival, you get within the first 10-20 minutes of your life ...

Also banditry has been rendered useless, as most of the people prefer to shoot rather than drop their weapon / surrender. It was fun while it lasted, now I am over the gear hunt, I am now here for just the human hunt.

There are no real predators (wild life I mean), so since this is a survival game, I guess it's normal to have hunters & hunted.

Just quit crying cause you lost all your precious gear, learn to play without it, after all, your are only feeding your greed. Greed for always more ... so who is really to blame ?

The killer or the killed ?

By constantly looking for better loot, you only make yourself a better, more intresting target for those who are as greedy as you ...

Edited by P5ykoOHD

i fall into group 1 and 2 .. do i get a medal? if not im switching to group 3 and comming lookin for ya

About the bandits... Do you really think there are many bandits around that shoot you truly for your gear only, rather than mostly for the fun and excitement of it?

You think they don't already have a bunch of DMRs, NVGs, and whatnot stored in their tent cities? Need a few more maybe? Really?

Or could they be hungry? Maybe they need beans? Right, sure... They can acquire the high end military loot with no problem, but aren't able to acquire cans of food, so they kill to get that? Sure thing.

What sets them apart from the "scumbags"? The fact that they probably have tents and are part of a bandit group, so they don't really have to start from zero when they die, unlike the so called solo scumbags. And thus, they also generally have better gear, and unless they have just recently died, this means they are more careful with their life and precious loot.

Watch one of those so called bandits die, and right after he respawns, you would not notice the difference between the bandit, and the scumbag. They both grab the lee enfield they come across, they both use it to shoot every player they come across indiscriminately and take whatever there is worth taking on them (if they bother to take the risk to actually loot the body).

I don't believe there are many true bandits around anymore, ones that would only kill for the loot and to survive... If there even ever were such. And if there are, the differences between being a bandit and being a scumbag are just some shades of gray.

• Like 1

It should be up to the players to dish out the consequences on other players. Something like, examine a corpse, see the name of the person who did it, track them down and punish them how you see fit. You could offer a reward to anyone who helps find and bring them to justice. Servers need to have a large community for it to work.

If the murderer switches servers, it could inform the entire server that he joined and that he is infact, a murderer, then the community on that server could find and punish him. Either that make it so that we have to create a separate character for each server we join, then there would be no benefit from logging to switch servers.

There shouldn't be an official system that punishes them directly, for example, "if you kill someone your total amount of blood decreases". I have 2 murders on my record, and they were both in self defense, I shouldn't have punishment forced on me.

Edited by Psychobob

Bandits:

Naturally, when the world goes to hell, there are going to be people surviving by scrounging supplies, and people surviving by taking other people's shit. This is the staple crutch for any pro-pvp player. But how many times have you been killed by some desperado who actually needed your beans? Not often, I'd wager. Genuine Bandits pick their targets carefully, stalking the outskirts of high-yield areas, looking for that lone player with a backpack stuffed with loot. Don't get mad when a Bandit kills you, he wants your shiny M4, which you're quite capable of fighting back with. Likewise, don't keep petitioning the devs to punish Bandits. They're the real deal and a great challenge.

Killing for loot is just another version of the scumbag, at least right now.

Why? Because there is no need to ever kill & loot someone to survive in DayZ, unless you are a total noob and can't help yourself any other way. Surviving is a piece of cake.

Imo only those "desperados" would have a truly valid bandit playstyle - but real desperados don't exist, because the game doesn't allow it.

Kinda tired of all the hate on CoD, sure the series has gone to utter shit but at least one good thing came from it. Promod (mainly for CoD4) would like to see anyone on these forums be great at that and still carry on the way they do here.

On topic: "There needs to be some kind of consequence to murder" = No. If i murder in self defense, i should get punished?

you left out whiners.

Your post has 4 words....filled with nothing but biased ignorance...the OP has a valid point....there needs to be away to distinguish between scumbag and bandit there are just WAY too many people who just go and say "FUCK IT ALL" and just go on a killing spree knowing they have nothing to lose....people bitch and bitch AND BITCH about immersion and realism and AUTHENTICITY blaming DC'ers or people wanting coop over PVP...those people bitching are usually the scumbags...they are the ones who just grap a gun and camp to see how many people they can fuck over before they die cause that is the only way to get their rocks off since they are lonely fucks with nothing better to do. OR they do that and just DC after they know they are spotted while trying to kill some other fucker...its a cycle of hypocrisy, since the scumbags who whine about PVP whiners are in fact the ones killing the mods AUTHENTICITY and immersion by just camping and playing it like some console FPS shit.

The FACT of the matter is the value of LIFE in that mod is nothing to most people. To give an example in a REAL/AUTHENTIC scenario dealing with people and infected rabid creatures, the scumbags would be non existent IRL the paranoids wouldn't shoot on sight but instead talk before shooting (still ready to kill though) and bandits wouldn't kill as much but instead merely steal whatever the person has.

In reality people are not so quick to end life in this mod its like ending life is fucking second nature...WHICH IT SHOULDN'T BE but hey like 80% of the community says to the value of human life (virtual or not)....fuck it.

there needs to be away to distinguish between scumbag and bandit there are just WAY too many people who just go and say "FUCK IT ALL" and just go on a killing spree knowing they have nothing to lose...

In fact, having a way to distinguish between scumbag and bandit isn't enough - imo we need seperate servers for a "scumbag"-style playstyle, and restrictions on regular simulation / RPG style servers.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with playing scumbag-style per se. I'd play on deathmatch servers myself now and then, just for the heck of it. But those playstyles need to seperated, you can't have both in the same environment.

• Like 1

Hmm, this thread again... Can someone make a list of all the whiners, so that we can hunt them down?

Killing people who are butthurt gear freaks is fun ... You don't need tents full of gear, the biggest backpack and guns to survive.

All the necessary gear, for survival, you get within the first 10-20 minutes of your life ...

Also banditry has been rendered useless, as most of the people prefer to shoot rather than drop their weapon / surrender. It was fun while it lasted, now I am over the gear hunt, I am now here for just the human hunt.

There are no real predators (wild life I mean), so since this is a survival game, I guess it's normal to have hunters & hunted.

Just quit crying cause you lost all your precious gear, learn to play without it, after all, your are only feeding your greed. Greed for always more ... so who is really to blame ?

The killer or the killed ?

By constantly looking for better loot, you only make yourself a better, more intresting target for those who are as greedy as you ...

So you're the type who takes advantage of the people who try and remain civil toward each other? You're killing the game dude, and would get put into place if people knew what you do.

The motivation for my post was actually the frustration associated with fresh spawns. I find some basic gear and get the fuck away from the coast. The frustration part is I'll get blown away 3 or 4 times before I get lucky, often with nothing more than my starting gear. It's annoying as hell and a real detriment to the game.

You sound like a scumbag.

My point was actually to punish a very specific, pointless and stupid variety of murder, without altering the dynamic for the rest of us.