ruarz

Suggestions for the DayZ standalone - thinking outside of the limitations of an Arma 2 mod.

Various good suggestions in this list, feel free to skim through the post linked in my signature you may run into some added ideas or even good threads to link to, in regards to various suggestions in your list here. I also did two 'compilation' threads which are an assortment of similar topic suggestions (full medical, full physical) that may be worth a mention in your list.

Also feel free to go through my suggestions (threads are linked) and leave comments, i saw we had some similar ideas independant from eachother, where you included something that i didn't, but i also have some ideas that could well add to yours :)

In light of some of the suggestions here about revising the medical system I've completely redone and massively expanded the "A Revised Health, Status and Wounding System" section :)

I streamlined the entire thread. It should now make for much easier and more pleasant reading :)

• Like 1

TAKE MY BEANS ! YOU CAN AHVE THEM ALL.

One of the best Posts iv seen in this forum. Great Ideas and pictures. Love the Inventory sytem !

@Ruarz, i think you 'forgot' to distinquish between medical casts and makeshift splints to deal with broken bones. A splint could be crafted from rags and wood, while a medical cast would be found... another think you forgot are crutches, a makeshift crutch from wood and actual medical ones ... if you are including amputation and loss of limbs i think it's only fair to give the players a means to deal with it ;) ... what about a wheelchair ?

One thing that I liked about Arma 2 may not be everyone's cup of tea. But I really liked making my own missions in the editor and just generally messing around there. sadly with the current alpha mod the zombies act a bit well sheep like and I can't twigg the AI out. But with a standalone release I would think it would be great if they could pit mission editor in so people could make there own missions easily and then use them in private servers for fun.

Today I was having trouble with entering hospitals.

Then I was using a crowbar for brain-smash zombies, but if the Hatchet can have 2 functions (weapon and tool) why not the Crowbar? I mean, not using it like the Hatchet, where you have to remove it from belt back and forward to use it, but just having it as a secondary, and have the option "PRY OPEN DOOR" to open some doors with nice Loot inside, just like Hospitals. Maybe add some more space inside the hospital building and add some woodencrates and stuff with the items inside, and you need a tool like crowbar to open it.

• Like 1

Awesome, some great ideas you have there. mAny of which are definitely seemingly feasible :)

You have my beans :D

I like several of your suggestions, namely the basebuilding (to a limited extent), crafting, moding, and the trading idea; however, I think the "REVISED HEALTH, STATUS & WOUNDING SYSTEM" is a bit excessive, especially considering that the last thing a player wants to do is maintain his/her pixelated body. Demarcating foods into sugars and carbohydrates is superfluous (last thing we want to do follow an Atkins diet; besides, Hall already made it clear the game's not focused on survival). The vital organs idea is also redundant, getting shot anywhere on the body with a large-caliber bullet would outright kill someone. The loss of limbs may as well be left out as it's essentially a killshot to amputate any of the appendages--arguably even more detrimental than being shot in the gut. If your ideas were implemented, we would get a game like Unreal World, a single player survival game that's intensely taxing on the player to begin with, but then you would have to deal with survivalism and players that are out to hunt you.

The basebuilding idea should definitely be explored, but the problem is that this game is fundamentally nomadic--players are encouraged to explore and interact, not hole up somewhere. Trading should be limited, bases should be easily destroyed, and more emphasis should be placed on mobile structures such as tents, huts, traps, etc.

Other minors things that probably wouldn't turn out so well is the earplug idea as well as the degrading boot idea. Boots would be easy to come by, so degrading them would be pretty pointless in itself; earplugs to prevent deafness would be extremely annoying (imagine having to wear them to block out gun shots but conversely being unable to hear your friends). It might as well be that every item in the game degrades with use, this way players are forced to continually scavenge and hunt for more items.

So there's my two cents, everything else is fine, thanks for the suggestions!

Edited by DowdyKitchenMan

We already have a trading system, you kill someone and take their shit. I like the rest of your ideas, such as keep the map in russia or the ukrain, to keep the authenticity. And dont forget that line between being fun and reaslistic, a game TOO realistic will not be fun, and a game without realism wont be balanced, and so on.

HERE ARE MY BEANS ANYWAY.

I can tell you right now above ground bases will never be added. Instead I hope they add more tools to secure an abandoned building or even a town, I want more options for road blocks, house barricades, more options for storage in cities.

Not really going to add anything to game play but if Rocket gave the ability to customize your player in the game, it would be cool if your character became a zombie in that server if/when you die.

I don't mean that the player would become a zombie but so that your player now roams the server as an A.I. controlled zombie.Would kind of be cool to come across one of your old characters in the game as a zombie. That would add to the realism. I posted this in my own thread but feel it was well fitting for this one as well.

If it's an airborne type infection, yes every dead body would reanimate. If not, maybe just those killed by zombie attacks. That would be up to the dev's I guess.

-It can also be added to help minimize people retrieving their weapons (not realistic to get your items back). The body can have a certain amount of time before it reanimates as a zombie.

-As mentioned in the OP about finding a way to spawn zombies realistically, this may work. It would give a realistic way of having zombies spawn.

Edited by Lights Out

I don't think that I've seen this suggested yet, and I don't really expect it to be in the game. I just think it is kind of a fun idea.

What if you could modify vehicles in the game to add stuff like armor and weapons? Think: the A-team. Take a regular car, truck, bus, etc. and modify it by welding on armor and adding guns. New items like welding kits could be added along with stuff like scrap steel and sheet steel for making the armor. Mounted weapons could be limited to launchers and LMG's which you would have to find in the usual ways. Armored vehicles could have reduced speed and visibility (eye slits for drivers and passengers being the only way to see out). Mounted weapons would mean that you would have to give up at least one passenger capacity for the mounts for weapon and ammo. Steel and welding kits could be extremely rare items, maybe the most rare in the game to keep the "tanks" from being too overpowered. That would help make these "custom" armored vehicles very rare themselves.

I can see the problems and abuses that would come from this, but I still think that its a really fun idea. If not DayZ, some game needs to do it. Imagine the looks on people's faces when they hear a small car coming toward them, getting them excited thinking that they can kill the occupants and take their gear and maybe their ride too, only to see that it has steel plating and a M240 attatched to the roof.

*edit to fix typo

Edited by GiggityGump

I think you just did a big role of DayZ standalone! Good job! :D

:beans: :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans:

And dont forget that line between being fun and reaslistic, a game TOO realistic will not be fun, and a game without realism wont be balanced, and so on..

I've been trying to make that point to people about various games for years now!

I like several of your suggestions, namely the basebuilding (to a limited extent), crafting, moding, and the trading idea; however, I think the "REVISED HEALTH, STATUS & WOUNDING SYSTEM" is a bit excessive, especially considering that the last thing a player wants to do is maintain his/her pixelated body. Demarcating foods into sugars and carbohydrates is superfluous (last thing we want to do follow an Atkins diet; besides, Hall already made it clear the game's not focused on survival). The vital organs idea is also redundant, getting shot anywhere on the body with a large-caliber bullet would outright kill someone. The loss of limbs may as well be left out as it's essentially a killshot to amputate any of the appendages--arguably even more detrimental than being shot in the gut. If your ideas were implemented, we would get a game like Unreal World, a single player survival game that's intensely taxing on the player to begin with, but then you would have to deal with survivalism and players that are out to hunt you.

The basebuilding idea should definitely be explored, but the problem is that this game is fundamentally nomadic--players are encouraged to explore and interact, not hole up somewhere. Trading should be limited, bases should be easily destroyed, and more emphasis should be placed on mobile structures such as tents, huts, traps, etc.

Other minors things that probably wouldn't turn out so well is the earplug idea as well as the degrading boot idea. Boots would be easy to come by, so degrading them would be pretty pointless in itself; earplugs to prevent deafness would be extremely annoying (imagine having to wear them to block out gun shots but conversely being unable to hear your friends). It might as well be that every item in the game degrades with use, this way players are forced to continually scavenge and hunt for more items.

So there's my two cents, everything else is fine, thanks for the suggestions!

The game is certainly about survival. The word survive/survival/survivor appears four times just on the dayzmod.com first page. Although I would probably agree that the realism side of it could be taken too far.

Yeah, a 50.cal and probably an AK would kill anyone but 5.56mm often passes straight through. When firing 9mm pistol rounds it would be pretty important to hit something vital. As for the loss of limbs, I was thinking of it more for the zombies than players.

I think items should have varying degrees of condition of repair, not just limited to boots. The condition of an item would be an important consideration in any survival situation and yes, this would give an incentive to continually scavenge.

Edited by ruarz
  • Like 1

Great post! I really hope they add a medical/damage system like the one mentioned in this post.

I would definitely like to see the zombies as more of a threat. It would add to difficulty, add to the scare factor, and make you second guess whether it's worth shooting your gun an attracting every zombie within a certain radius.

Somewhere in there you could add a "NO MANUAL RESPAWN" function to prevent those who have broken legs, illnesses, lost limbs or some other sort of detriment to a players character that they would start over for. The players should have to play their character to the end in my opinion. But of course there WOULD be exceptions...

Such as: Glitch to be stuck in an area.....

But you can always Manually suicide your character which should being a fair punishment or something I'm not to quite sure. Input?

I would definitely like to see the zombies as more of a threat. It would add to difficulty, add to the scare factor, and make you second guess whether it's worth shooting your gun an attracting every zombie within a certain radius.

Currently they are way too easy, way too predictable in spawning and behaviour, and way too common. Zombie encounters should be slightly rarer but far more deadly.